• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Neiteio

I'm a total sucker for Nintendo designs, I admit it. I love all the character designs so far and I'm painfully eager to see all the bosses that are in store for us.

gotee12

Not to be a downer, but does anyone think that, at least in the US, "hardcore" gamers (who likes COD and other "M" games) will simply dismiss this game because of the title having "Kid" in it? If that's not the reason then it might be due to being quite an unknown franchise to most people. A lot of my friends are Nintendo fans, but they won't get KI because they only like Mario or Zelda. Right now only one of them is getting it on Friday :(

I popped into my local GS today to see if there were a lot of preorders. Sadly, there were not. And they were only expecting to get two shelf copies. Two. Some white collar somewhere is predicting this game to bomb. I'm interested to see how many they actually receive Friday when I go by to pick up my preorder. I can't believe that they're only getting two shelf copies but it was the manager I was talking to. He should know if anybody there would.

Neiteio

Well, if the game bomba it ain't for lack of marketing. Nintendo actually did their due diligence this time. Could always market more, but what they've done ain't half-bad. Unlike so many other games they've sent to die.

I wonder if releasing a demo would help or hurt the game. If someone only tasted the ground controls for one demo mission, it might poison them on the game. Then again, acutally trying the game world with all its dialogue and charm might sell them on it.

Hmm.

Thoraxes

I popped into my local GS today to see if there were a lot of preorders. Sadly, there were not. And they were only expecting to get two shelf copies. Two. Some white collar somewhere is predicting this game to bomb. I'm interested to see how many they actually receive Friday when I go by to pick up my preorder. I can't believe that they're only getting two shelf copies but it was the manager I was talking to. He should know if anybody there would.

I don't think GS numbers are good indicators for this specifically because it's literally going to be available at every store. Plus, it's in many of this week's ads too.

Also, dat Amazon and release day delivery.

Neiteio

I don't think GS numbers are good indicators for this specifically because it's literally going to be available at every store. Plus, it's in many of this week's ads too.
I think the point is that if a dedicated gaming store is seeing relatively no interest, then what chance does it stand of doing well in larger more casual stores, where it will just be more easily lost in the crowd?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think the point is that if a dedicated gaming store is seeing relatively no interest, then what chance does it stand of doing well in larger more casual stores, where it will just be more easily lost in the crowd?
Most of the ads seem to be aired in children-oriented channels like Cartoon Network. My guess is that Nintendo expects this game to sell well through a longish period of time.

I still think it's gonna bomb.

OmegaZero

It's cause I played Pit in Brawl.

Speaking of which, I lost to a Pit during the finals of the local GameStop SSBB 12PM release tournament.
I was Ike. >_>
My and one of my best friends were also the first people to actually fight in it due to some crazy luck, but we were accidentally given each others controllers. So our characters promptly turned around, ran off the edge, and died at the same time.
I ended the fight with the first Final Smash of that tournament too. The first time I saw a Great Aether in action...so beautiful...
After I got the game, I unlocked Marth and never used Ike again.

The end.

But yeah, excited for this game. Hopefully moments like that will appear in the multiplayer for this as well.

Thoraxes

Because it's easily available to purchase at many stores instead of just one, not to mention lots of those stores have incentive programs to give money off of purchases (like Target's 5% off REDcard, BB's Gamerzone, no tax from Amazon.com). (My current sales tax is almost 10% where I live, and fuck that: The city of Chicago has the highest total sales tax of all major U.S. cities (9.5%))

Not to mention it has decent adspace in this week's catalogs.

game's been in the global amazon top ten list for quite some time. It's not an indicator by any chance but still, it should sell well enough besides Japan, which is a given

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
game's been in the global amazon top ten list for quite some time. It's not an indicator by any chance but still, it should sell well enough besides Japan, which is a given
Why are people so confident it is gonna be a strong seller in Japan especially so close to a new Kingdom Hearts game?

gotee12

Also, dat Amazon and release day delivery.

I hope you're right, I honestly do.

Neiteio

Because it's easily available to purchase at many stores instead of just one, not to mention lots of those stores have incentive programs to give money off of purchases (like Target's 5% off REDcard, BB's Gamerzone, no tax from Amazon.com). (My current sales tax is almost 10% where I live, and fuck that: The city of Chicago has the highest total sales tax of all major U.S. cities (9.5%))

Not to mention it has decent adspace in this week's catalogs.
Um, any game that Gamestop sells appears in all those other stores, except for the occasional exclusive like Xenoblade. And yet, so many games still bomb. Zero interest at Gamestop is often a good indication of that.

I'd love to see the game do well, though. It means Nintendo will make more hardcore games like this, possibly revive more IPs, etc. But realistically, the game could vastly under-shoot Nintendo's apparently lofty expectation. They're already burning through quite a bit of money just marketing, not to mention bundling in a plastic accessory with each copy, and printing all those cards. This game will have to sell more than the usual Nintendo title to break even.

Why are people so confident it is gonna be a strong seller in Japan especially so close to a new Kingdom Hearts game?

I'm mostly using amazon.co.jp. Like I said in my previous post it's no indicator at all but still, being at first-second spot of their global preorder chart for several weeks should imply Japan is in fact anticipating the game

Neiteio

What's the marketing been like? I've been in my usual oblivious bubble.
The marketing's been amazing. High-caliber commercials appearing all over the place, from major sports games to kids' networks to primetime TV. There are 3D anime shorts from three different major animation houses airing on Nintendo Video. Eleventy-billion trailers have been released, as well as constant Twitter updates in the UK and Japan. The major U.S. publications are receiving KIU promo cards. Full-site ads and banner ads everywhere online. Nationwide tournaments in the U.S. They're really going all-out.

gotee12

Um, any game that Gamestop sells appears in all those other stores, except for the occasional exclusive like Xenoblade. And yet, so many games still bomb. Zero interest at Gamestop is often a good indication of that.

I'd love to see the game do well, though. It means Nintendo will make more hardcore games like this, possibly revive more IPs, etc. But realistically, the game could vastly under-shoot Nintendo's apparently lofty expectation. They're already burning through quite a bit of money just marketing, not to mention bundling in a plastic accessory with each copy, and printing all those cards. This game will have to sell more than the usual Nintendo title to break even.

In other news, my GS currently has three Xenoblade preorders. This is a store that sold through like 300 copies of Skyrim in 24 hours of release. I know Skyrim is much higher profile game, but stil having such low preorders for KI and XB have me a little worried.

I guess the dudebros in my area aren't interested in new, different experiences. :/

Thoraxes

Ok, only games sold at Gamestop are indicative of overall sales and outside promotions have no effect on majorites of people taking their money elsewhere.

Neiteio

In other news, my GS currently has three Xenoblade preorders. This is a store that sold through like 300 copies of Skyrim in 24 hours of release. I know Skyrim is much higher profile game, but stil having such low preorders for KI and XB have me a little worried.

I guess the dudebros in my area aren't interested in new, different experiences. :/
It's ironic because Kid Icarus Uprising actually offers a wealh of options for shooting/stabbing suckers in the face.

Neiteio

Ok, only games sold at Gamestop are indicative of overall sales and outside promotions have no effect on majorites of people taking their money elsewhere.
Let me make it simpler for you: Big monsters KILL PIT. Grrrrrr!

Wait... I mean, let me make it simpler for you: Past games that have appeared at both Gamestop and other stores have ALSO received promotions at other stores and STILL failed because there was no interest, which was seen early on at Gamestop. Gamestop is a good place to guage interest in a game.

You worried? Dress in a toga and run up to people in stores telling them about the game. ;)

Thoraxes

Let me make it simpler for you: Big monsters KILL PIT. Grrrrrr!

Wait... I mean, let me make it simpler for you: Past games that have appeared at both Gamestop and other stores have ALSO received promotions at other stores and STILL failed because there was no interest, which was seen early on at Gamestop. Gamestop is a good place to guage interest in a game.

You worried? Dress in a toga and run up to people in stores telling them about the game. ;)

Painting the Statue of Liberty white as we speak.

Either way though, we'll see after NPD April.

Bullza2o

Sigh. I really wish this game does well in sales. Imo, I'll probably play this a lot more than 80 hours I've put in MK7 because of the amount of content it has. Unfortunately I can only buy one copy, but I wish every 3DS player supports Sakurai.

Thoraxes

EDIT: I WANT THIS GAME NAOW.

image.php

zroid

Banned
I wish Japanese voices were available for the US version. They just fit better.

It would be nice, but considering the way the game works, you would never be able to read subtitles. The minuscule Japanese-speaking US audience doesn't make it worthwhile to deal with the licensing fees and other hijinks.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It would be nice, but considering the way the game works, you would never be able to read subtitles. The minuscule Japanese-speaking US audience doesn't make it worthwhile to deal with the licensing fees and other hijinks.
Why would Nintendo need to licence out audio it already owns?

Pfff, off-cam footage on YouTube? BWAFAFAFA! Watch it in 3D on your 3DS like all men of honor.

But Nintendo Video is IP-locked for US only, isn't it? :(

I keep flip-flopping on whether to buy the game now or not...

Incentives:
Awesome looking game
3D Classics pre-order bonus
Free pack-in stand

Counter-incentives:
I really should be cutting back on my spending.
I have a ridiculous backlog of unplayed/barely played/unfinished games.

Busaiku

But Nintendo Video is IP-locked for US only, isn't it? :(

I keep flip-flopping on whether to buy the game now or not...

Incentives:
Awesome looking game
3D Classics pre-order bonus
Free pack-in stand

Counter-incentives:
I really should be cutting back on my spending.
I have a ridiculous backlog of unplayed/barely played/unfinished games.

Nintendo Video should be available in all regions where the system was officially released.

Top Bottom