• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

zroid

Banned
"Wait a minute! Your math is a little off there. You better break out Brain Training"
"My brain age is 24!"

41575_124295510960786_121585_n.jpg

Neiteio

Sakurai is so awesome that straight people go gay for him and gay people turn straight so they can in turn go gay for him.

Seriously, how does he do it.

Ravishing.

hatchx

Banned
One thing I'm not clear on from watching it being played... does your orientation only turn when you flick the stylus, or do you begin to slowly turn anyway when you reach the edges of the screen?

It's different, it's not like the camera will continually turn as you hold the stylus to the edge, it will just turn as you move it. So, there is a bounding box persay, but one where the camera only moves as the stylus moves. It doesn't work like the wii where aiming outside the bounding box keeps the camera turning.

You only need to 'spin' the camera if you are doing a 90 degree or 180 degree turn. Although I did notice, when walking up a ramp, I could 'spin' it slowly so it matched.

It's different, but it's intentional to keep the frenetic action going. I'm not sure it would work as dual analog unless the aiming reticule was moving extremely fast....but then aiming in specific places would be nearly impossible.

Dat Mutiplayer footage. I love how Sakurai put in that raw Smash bros. feel of hitting someone
and sending them flying(and sometimes dying in huge flash of lights) just to say

"Yeah... I killed that guy"

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's different, it's not like the camera will continually turn as you hold the stylus to the edge, it will just turn as you move it. So, there is a bounding box persay, but one where the camera only moves as the stylus moves. It doesn't work like the wii where aiming outside the bounding box keeps the camera turning.

You only need to 'spin' the camera if you are doing a 90 degree or 180 degree turn. Although I did notice, when walking up a ramp, I could 'spin' it slowly so it matched.

It's different, but it's intentional to keep the frenetic action going. I'm not sure it would work as dual analog unless the aiming reticule was moving extremely fast....but then aiming in specific places would be nearly impossible.

Ok. It sounds more like actual mouselook gameplay with the addition of a quick stroke to make gross turns immediately.

Fabrik

Banned
This game makes me think of Bayonetta:
- Flying levels
- Constant firing + big melee attacks
- Dash
- Last second dodging
- The giant stepping foot
- Weapon fusion/customization
- Selectable enemies intensity
- 40/40 in Famitsu
- And of course angels! :)

i can't get the damn ground stages right. they have cool design but man the controls do fuck it up. flying/design/dialog are all amazing.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Zelda SS aside, this is the most ambitious Nintendo game in ages. Can't believe to see that amount of content in such a game. It's five as good as Star Fox AFAIC.

Jarsonot

i can't get the damn ground stages right. they have cool design but man the controls do fuck it up. flying/design/dialog are all amazing.

That's how I felt first time I used dual analog in an FPS - kept looking at the sky or the ground =)

I got better at it eventually, so I'm waiting to try this myself and see if it's "broken" or just a new control scheme that'll take some getting used to.

That's how I felt first time I used dual analog in an FPS - kept looking at the sky or the ground =)

I got better at it eventually, so I'm waiting to try this myself and see if it's "broken" or just a new control scheme that'll take some getting used to.

You can't compare the two at all. The controls here aren't radically different from other stylus based shooters. People are really trying to play down the problems with the controls here, but they are definitely not optimal on the ground stages.

It's more a testament to how awesome the rest of the game is when people are willing to look beyond the controls.

hatchx

Banned
ok, I GOT the controls finally, and I also get the complaints. My hand really hurt after that last level.

Ended up using my bamboo tablet stylus rather than the tiny 3DS one.

Great f'in game, but these controls are a bit of a work around.

That review is awful. The first paragraph is based on the tired, misguided premise that Nintendo only makes Mario and Zelda, and the second contains the line: "Sure, the Nintendo 64 remakes and the cornerstone Mario titles have been great distractions while we wait for something real..." 3D Land wasn't "real"? Stopped reading after that.

zroid

Banned
That review is awful. The first paragraph is based on the tired, misguided premise that Nintendo only makes Mario and Zelda, and the second contains the line: "Sure, the Nintendo 64 remakes and the cornerstone Mario titles have been great distractions while we wait for something real..." 3D Land wasn't "real"? Stopped reading after that.

lol...

backlot

Yeah. I'm not sure he knew what he meant when he said the multiplayer "should only be used as a theoretical example". I mean, it does exist, right?

Neiteio

I don't think there's any way it bombs... there's enough Smash fans interested in this to make it successful.
That's a good point, actually. Even if it was nothing but Nintendo fans already vested in Pit/Smash picking up the game, that would probably be enough to generate numbers comparable to other core, mascot-driven franchises (aside from the usual bajillion-sellers like Mario and Pokemon, I mean). Earthbound, on the other hand, was a complete unknown stateside, in a crowded RPG market full of snazzier-looking games. Therein lies another advantage for Pit: His game is one of the snazziest looking and sounding titles on the system. If they continue to advertise long-term, more and more people will realize this and come onboard.

I was close to ordering this (despite good reasons why I shouldn't) for the pre-order bonus and because I thought Nintendo's first party games never drop in price (unless they go Player's Choice), but after looking at this list I realized I was wrong and some Nintendo games do actually drop in price after a while...

Sorry Sakurai, you're not getting my dollars just yet, I need them for other things now.

I do realize that this is a high-budget title (with extra costs due to pack-in stand, etc.) and would be less likely to drop in price (unless it really bombs, which I sincerely doesn't happen)... but yeah, I'll catch up with the party later. Have fun guys!

emb

I don't think there's any way it bombs... there's enough Smash fans interested in this to make it successful.

To play some devil's advocate, that's what was said about Fire Emblem at first. Look how that's turning out for us now.

I was close to ordering this (despite good reasons why I shouldn't) for the pre-order bonus and because I thought Nintendo's first party games never drop in price (unless they go Player's Choice), but after looking at this list I realized I was wrong and some Nintendo games do actually drop in price after a while...

Sorry Sakurai, you're not getting my dollars just yet, I need them for other things now.

I do realize that this is a high-budget title (with extra costs due to pack-in stand, etc.) and would be less likely to drop in price (unless it really bombs, which I sincerely doesn't happen)... but yeah, I'll catch up with the party later. Have fun guys!

Note that list shows Nintendogs+Cats and Steel Diver as cheap. Those games did poorly at the 3DS launch. Kid Icarus Uprising, unless it bombs badly, will not drop to those prices.

Top Bottom