• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

TDLink

To play some devil's advocate, that's what was said about Fire Emblem at first. Look how that's turning out for us now.

I seem to remember it turning out pretty well actually. The first couple released in the states (on GBA) sold pretty well and ensured we got the subsequent 3 releases. Interest largely only petered off later (after the console games...honestly I think that series is more suited to handheld anyways though so that may be part of it). All that being said, I hope FE: Awakening comes here, very excited about it. I think Kid Icarus is going to do very well.

Holy shit!

My biggest gripe with Nintendo over the years has been its unwillingness to experiment with new concepts outside of its core genres.

Really?!

In a perfect world I'd see something new and fresh coming out of its wheelhouse of developers for every Mario, Zelda and Metroid that photocopied its way out of Miyamoto's design handbook.

REALLY?!

This is especially true with the library of titles for the Nintendo 3DS, that despite a year's worth of growth still doesn't have a truly killer title

Where have you been the last four/five months??

The terrain is by far the standout element, mixing pre-rendered videos with traditional geometry rendering to create celestial atmospheres that outshine the buffoonish character models.

Pre rendered video? I haven't seen evidence of that any place in the game.

on the multiplayer said:
The one down side to this being the Call of Duty effect where experienced players walk on the battlefield with vastly superior gear, and judging from the matches played during the review period, Nintendo hasn't done enough to keep players of different tiers separated properly.

If you've equipped lower tech gear your team gets many more extra"lives". You can have three extra guys for every highly equipped enemy if you're lucky.

If Nintendo has done one thing right with Kid Icarus it's that it has delivered the first genuinely competitive game for the Nintendo 3DS. Sure, it's very far from perfect, and should only be used as a theoretical example for future designs, but it's a start.

A theoretical example? What does that even mean?

The single player is a complete waste

The end.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Every Sakurai game has that menu system going for it, and I mean that in a good way.
Melee and Air Ride have futuristic-looking menus, whereas Brawl, Meteos and Uprising are obviously designed for touchscreen usage (which is weird in Brawl considering that game does not have pointer controls).

emb

I seem to remember it turning out pretty well actually. The first couple released in the states (on GBA) sold pretty well and ensured we got the subsequent 3 releases. Interest largely only petered off later (after the console games...honestly I think that series is more suited to handheld anyways though so that may be part of it). All that being said, I hope FE: Awakening comes here, very excited about it. I think Kid Icarus is going to do very well.

It didn't turn out terribly, you're right. I was just bringing up that we didn't get this last one (which we needed, it's never been released here. I thought that was the point of the remakes tbqh), and they've been slow to announce the NA version of the coming one. They seem to think we hate it. I guess all that can be taken from it, is that there's always time for the sequels to bomb, even if this does well.

I also agree that this game will do well. I think it could become a big franchise for Nintendo... though I don't know how it would continue. Sakurai won't want to cycle this and Smash forever.

backlot

It didn't turn out terribly, you're right. I was just bringing up that we didn't get this last one (which we needed, it's never been released here. I thought that was the point of the remakes tbqh), and they've been slow to announce the NA version of the coming one. They seem to think we hate it. I guess all that can be taken from it, is that there's always time for the sequels to bomb, even if this does well.

I also agree that this game will do well. I think it could become a big franchise for Nintendo... though I don't know how it would continue. Sakurai won't want to cycle this and Smash forever.

If Sakurai doesn't want to make another Kid Icarus game maybe they'll give it to Retro or something. I'd be interested to see what they could do with it.

Doorman

I didn't know you could drag the menu options, nice detail.

You could do the same back in Meteos. Apparently when Sakurai says that he wants to give the players as many options as possible to tune the experience to their liking, it even extends to how to get the game started at the outset.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Yeah. Unless I somehow luck into finding a CPP at a local Gamestop (doubtful) I'm going to be faced with either waiting to have it shipped from store.nintendo.com or playing KI initially with a difference control setup THEN having to learn different controls when the CPP arrives. Kind of a shit situation to be in, honestly.
Wait.... The Circle Pad Pro isn't regularly available at retail Gamestops?!?!?!?

*runs to call local Gamestop*

Edit: I'm back. This really fricken stinks. Now I don't know what to do... Being left handed sucks sometimes.

hatchx

Banned
6 hour impressions

Damn, the controls have clicked now! This game is amazing guys give it a chance. There is definitely a learning curve to the ground controls which will frustrate you at first, but once you get them, you will fully understand why they are the way they are.

I just went back to the first level and ramped up the difficulty, and
tackled an entirely new tank sub-boss
. It was awesome. The boss of the level was also way harder.

I use a 3DS grip because I have big hands, and everything feels great now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
6 hour impressions

Damn, the controls have clicked now! This game is amazing guys give it a chance. There is definitely a learning curve to the ground controls which will frustrate you at first, but once you get them, you will fully understand why they are the way they are.

I just went back to the first level and ramped up the difficulty, and
tackled an entirely new tank sub-boss
. It was awesome. The boss of the level was also way harder.

I use a 3DS grip because I have big hands, and everything feels great now.

In Sakurai we trust, I guess. The man seems to be the king of giving the player options and configurability, so after thinking about it a while I figured the reason he wouldn't have a dual analog mode is because the game really wouldn't play right with it.

I do think that positive word of mouth from people who played it will be required to get a lot of people on board though. Too many people have zero patience or inclination to try anything that deviates from the most common standard. In this case, it looks like a 3rd person shooter, ergo, it's unpossible that it doesn't control like a twin stick 3PS.

Neiteio

What's ironic about the controls is in Iwata Asks, Sakurai said he made Smash Bros. the way it is because traditional fighters like Street Fighter were too hard to control (shoryukens and such). Yet here we are, with a shooter where you have to force yourself through back-asswards controls for hours before they "click." An uncharacteristically odd design moment for Sakurai, but I'll trust it works out for the best in the end, even though I'm usually of the mindset that "If it takes half the game to get comfortable with the damn controls, it's not worth it."

Busaiku

Maybe he finally discovered that the Super Smash Bros controls limited movesets too much, and we'll get tons of stuff in the next Super Smash Bros!

Does someone now how to erase save files?

I just tested fast the game when I boughted, so i wanted to delete an create a new file again.
I cant find the option in the menu.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
What's ironic about the controls is in Iwata Asks, Sakurai said he made Smash Bros. the way it is because traditional fighters like Street Fighter were too hard to control (shoryukens and such). Yet here we are, with a shooter where you have to force yourself through back-asswards controls for hours before they "click." An uncharacteristically odd design moment for Sakurai, but I'll trust it works out for the best in the end, even though I'm usually of the mindset that "If it takes half the game to get comfortable with the damn controls, it's not worth it."

I dont think there's anything ironic about it. The controls are incredibly simple here, it's just the system that makes it uncomfortable. I wouldn't call them backwards, just a fault that should be leveled at the console.

554500_3329707076061_1069985230_3186763_1213751473_n.jpg

I gots mine urrrley!!!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wait.... The Circle Pad Pro isn't regularly available at retail Gamestops?!?!?!?

*runs to call local Gamestop*

Edit: I'm back. This really fricken stinks. Now I don't know what to do... Being left handed sucks sometimes.

You could try playing with the xyab to aim set up til you can get one.

Neiteio

I dont think there's anything ironic about it. The controls are incredibly simple here, it's just the system that makes it uncomfortable. I wouldn't call them backwards, just a fault that should be leveled at the console.
That doesn't make any sense. Sakurai should've taken into account the controller when, you know, designing the controls.

hatchx

Banned

Yeah it is weird, try to imagine if Sin and Punishment offered free roaming section. It tries to be a shooter without being a 3rd-person shooter.

It's uncanny how well it actually works.

I wonder if the word of mouth will be bad or good based on this. I sometimes can't tell if just GAF hive-mind telling ourselves 'the controls aren't perfect!' or opposite in that our gamer minds telling us 'this works on another level!'. I am quite curious to see how casuals take this. It clicks in about an hour, and in small spurts your hand really will not cramp.

If you think of the game like a shooter and not a 3rd person action-adventure, you really start to understand the mechanics.

....I've talked way too much about the controls. The game is excellent guys. Truly.

FLAguy954

So any control scheme that doesn't immediately click is backwards? I totally disagree. What you seem to overlook is many gamers are conditioned to the twin stick set-up. Many are going to take hours to again condition themselves to a wholly new control scheme. They have to develop new muscle memory. It's common sense really.

TheNatural

My Member!
That doesn't make any sense. Sakurai should've taken into account the controller when, you know, designing the controls.

That's my main problem with Nintendo and a lot of companies nowadays. I remember when Super Mario 64 was created, he said he thought of the game concept first and made the controller to fit to that vision of going around in free space and popularized the joystick.

Seems like ever sense then, Nintendo is just the process of shooting themselves in the foot. "Heres what our hardware team came up with, we're going to shoehorn these games on this damn control method if it kills us."

It's pretty crazy they've even went so far as to include a stand to alleviate the uncomfortable nature of the game when this is a problem that should have been tackled long, long ago with the hardware, and then with the software development.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

When Sakurai addressed the complexity of fighting game controls, he wasn't talking about comfort or that sort of thing. He was addressing the complexity and intimidating nature of the controls. By comparison, Smash is a lot less confusing. He wasn't talking about comfort and that's what I was trying to clarify. Sure the system itself is an inhibitor, but the controls are simple, which was what I was getting at.

Jarsonot

You can't compare the two at all. The controls here aren't radically different from other stylus based shooters. People are really trying to play down the problems with the controls here, but they are definitely not optimal on the ground stages.

It's more a testament to how awesome the rest of the game is when people are willing to look beyond the controls.

I'm not saying the control schemes are comparable, just the fact that in both cases the player is required to learn a new control scheme, and until enough time has been invested learning the controls the gameplay will suffer.

Now it may entirely be the case that THESE controls are just so godawful there will never be that moment when I "get it" and I'll understand what everyone's talkin about.

I've read a few impressions already in which people are saying they've got a handle on the controls, so I think it may just be an individual thing - some people will get it to work well, others won't.

I plan on playing til I get it, and smoking' y'all online. =)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That's my main problem with Nintendo and a lot of companies nowadays. I remember when Super Mario 64 was created, he said he thought of the game concept first and made the controller to fit to that vision of going around in free space and popularized the joystick.

Seems like ever sense then, Nintendo is just the process of shooting themselves in the foot. "Heres what our hardware team came up with, we're going to shoehorn these games on this damn control method if it kills us."

It's pretty crazy they've even went so far as to include a stand to alleviate the uncomfortable nature of the game when this is a problem that should have been tackled long, long ago with the hardware, and then with the software development.

Except there's nothing exotic or weird about the control method here... it's one that has been used several times for the last 8 years on the DS, starting with Prime Hunters, more or less.

It seems Sakurai was taking a given "first person shooter" and tweaking it a bit further.

Based on what I'm seeing the key thing is not the game being crippled by poorly though out hardware, but being unusual due to the design idea. It's a fusion of a on ground 3rd person action game, and a shooter that requires super fast and precise mouselike cursor movement.

Unless I'm missing something, there IS no hardware that would make that work any better than what we have here.

If this were on the Wii, you'd have the same design challenges of simultaneously allowing the player to aim the cursor freely around the screen but also detect a command to swerve your entire viewpoint around to a new general direction.

If it were on PC, with an actual mouse, you'd still need some extra finger combination on the keyboard to swing your general view around 90 degrees at a time.

On a twin stick game pad, the shooting action would have to be nerfed and possibly shored up with auto-aim help to maintain the speed of the game, and masses of enemies.

The goofy stand seems more like a concession to the worry that at this point people are even more locked in their ways and need to be reassured that they can play the game with its "bizarre" (not really) interface.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

Kid Icarus starts being fun the very minute you start playing it. We are not talking about iDevices controls issues here, the game is extremely precise in most situations. You may have to handle camera movements in a new, non intuitive way at times, but if you're a serious gamer you will pass the challenge. Oh and the stand is actually a nice thing. It is not necessary to enjoy Kid Icarus, but it somehow feels classy to use it. It's weird but it works, and it adds one more special thing to the experience :)

schlew

Ohhhhhh, nice. Nintendo just emailed me saying my free cards from Club Nintendo have shipped. Was 6-8 weeks just them being extremely cautious? I don't know, but I'm super excited! Cards, guys! Cards!

I must stop checking my e-mail to see if my pre-order has arrived at Lawson yet but damnit I can't stop checking this thread and it's not making the wait any easier.

iavi

Talking about the club Nintendo cards, mine just came in today. Pretty nice. A lot smaller than I thought they'd be.

hatchx

Banned
Based on what I'm seeing the key thing is not the game being crippled by poorly though out hardware, but being unusual due to the design idea. It's a fusion of a on ground 3rd person action game, and a shooter that requires super fast and precise mouselike cursor movement.

I just got finished with some satisfying online matches. The dashing is a central mechanic to playing.

Tookay

You might have it wrong here; I think they still mostly operate the old way. They usually design a controller around the games they want to make. That of course leads to problems when they don't take into account what other devs want, which leads to Nintendo being left behind because their controllers aren't standardized with the rest of the industry.

hatchx

Banned
You might have it wrong here; I think they still mostly operate the old way. They usually design a controller around the games they want to make. That of course leads to problems when they don't take into account what other devs want, which leads to Nintendo being left behind because their controllers aren't standardized with the rest of the industry.

Yeah.....screw clicking analogs. That's all I have to say about that.

KIU feels like Sakurai approached it having no influence from 3rd person shooters whatsoever. It's not the fact that you can't play with two analogs, its the fact that it's an entirely new approach to the genre/perspective and a mechanic that would not work with dual analog. Throwing in CCpro support with dual analog would make it harder to control.

One could expect no less from Sakurai. It's a stylus action/shooter to the Nth degree. The problem is that most people just won't accept a stylus setup for shooters as opposed to a dual-analog setup.

I've only played about 2 hours, but I've been having a blast and thought I'd chime in on the controls a little bit.

They're weird and they're definitely not perfect. It takes time to get used to. When you do, it clicks and you don't have many problems after that, but that's not going to be the case for everybody.

For some people, the controls might never click at all, effectively ruining the game for them. That didn't happen for me, but it's certainly a possibility for others.

On the whole though, I've been having a fucking blast. The visuals really pop in 3D, the banter (in Japanese at least), is funny and quirky and the music is beautiful.

This game finally gave me a reason to take out my 3DS and get excited again (Mario and Monster Hunter aren't my thing at all).

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I've only played about 2 hours, but I've been having a blast and thought I'd chime in on the controls a little bit.

They're weird and they're definitely not perfect. It takes time to get used to. When you do, it clicks and you don't have many problems afte

Coo

Top Bottom