• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Did I miss a Kid Icarus anime short? I've seen three on Nintendo Video. I don't know how the content rotates but I checked when the first one (CG Part One) was up and I just checked it now and there were four completely new videos.

SmithnCo

Did I miss a Kid Icarus anime short? I've seen three on Nintendo Video. I don't know how the content rotates but I checked when the first one (CG Part One) was up and I just checked it now and there were four completely new videos.

There were three episodes of the CG one, one of Medusa's Revenge, and Two of the Palutena Dinner ones.

Jarsonot

There were three episodes of the CG one, one of Medusa's Revenge, and Two of the Palutena Dinner ones.

I still have palutena's dinner part 1, medusa's revenge, and 2 random music video or whatever videos - haven't seen the 2nd palutena's dinner yet.

U.S. btw

Neiteio

Here's how you approach good controls: You look at the controller and take into account what is comfortable and intuitive to play. You then design the controls around the controller, and the game around the controls.

Here's what you don't do:

- You don't shoehorn the controls into a controller where they will feel physically painful (I.E. holding the already non-ergonomical 3DS in one hand, and scrunching up index finger and thumb in a claw to control one side). Dual-analog was never physically painful. Hell, neither was Hunters. THIS IS NOT HUNTERS. You have to -flick- the screen to turn the camera. Sliding won't do it. Completely different from Hunters.

- You don't shoehorn the game into the controls (I.E. "I must have a third-person ground segment, no matter what, even if it's physically painful to play that type of game with these controls"). An extreme example would be a game made with the mentality you have to jump rapidly in place in real-life to make your character move forward in the game... and then making the game using that control system a new F-Zero. Here, Sakurai purportedly throws tons of enemies at you on the ground, and it starts to hurt one's hand simply managing the camera with "flicks" that don't over- or under-shoot the fast-moving foes you're trying to track. I question that.

Again, if this game had been designed from the start with good controls, it wouldn't have a stand. The controls work, and could work well, but if they cause the hand to feel physical pain, they're not good controls. That's why the stand's there. Nintendo knows the controls aren't comfortable. But they let Sakurai have his way.

But I know we can accept it... We in this thread. I don't know how gamers at large will respond, or casuals for that matter. My brothers, who are gamers, seem lukewarm on something that controls like this. It's a shame.

On a more positive note, Sakurai posted this badass image to his Twitter: Pit with the Three Sacred Treasures. I anticipate this will be Pit's new Final Smash in SSB so that his current Final Smash, Palutena, can be freed up and made into her own character:

AoghSn-CIAAV4w1.jpg:large

Neiteio

Those bike short are so tight that if Pit gets naughty thoughts around Palutena, she won't need an all-seeing eye to know what he's thinking.

DarkWish

76 Scans of Kid Icarus: Uprising AR Cards!

I've updated my collection of scans of Kid Icarus: Uprising AR Cards! I've added 13 more scans, so there's a total of 76 scans now. If anyone has any that aren't listed, please let me know and I'll add it to the list! I have a bunch listed on there without numbers or scans as well.

I can't wait for this game, I think the AR Cards and the videos on the Nintendo Video app are what's hyped me up the most. But I'm also really looking forward the Sin & Punishment style gameplay. Should be fun!

clemenx

Banned
I reaaaaaaaaaaally hope this game is on stores Friday in my country :( It varies from game to game, Revelations didn't arrive until a week after the lunch.

THIS IS NOT HUNTERS. You have to -flick- the screen to turn the camera. Sliding won't do it. Completely different from Hunters.

Unfortunately I think there are people out there missing this point. Uprising does not control like Hunters. The only way to move the camera in different directions is to flick the screen and then tap it again to stop the camera from moving.

Simply sliding the stylus is used to aim.

I've updated my collection of scans of Kid Icarus: Uprising AR Cards! I've added 13 more scans, so there's a total of 76 scans now. If anyone has any that aren't listed, please let me know and I'll add it to the list! I have a bunch listed on there without numbers or scans as well.

I can't wait for this game, I think the AR Cards and the videos on the Nintendo Video app are what's hyped me up the most. But I'm also really looking forward the Sin & Punishment style gameplay. Should be fun!

Has anyone with a copy of the game tested your scans yet?

Luigiv

Unfortunately I think there are people out there missing this point. Uprising does not control like Hunters. The only way to move the camera in different directions is to flick the screen and then tap it again to stop the camera from moving.

You don't have to tap to stop. The camera has friction so if you control the speed of your swipes the camera will stop where you want it to without the tapping. Or at least that worked in the pre-launch event demo, don't know if it still a viable tactic in the final game when things heat up.

You don't have to tap to stop. The camera has friction so if you control the speed of your swipes the camera will stop where you want it to without the tapping. Or at least that worked in the pre-launch event demo, don't know if it still a viable tactic in the final game when things heat up.

Ah, I should have reworded that.

The camera does in fact have friction, but if it's going past where you want it to be facing, the game tells you to tap the screen to stop it immediately. In online multiplayer at least, I found myself moving too quickly to ever be able to depend on it stopping exactly where I wanted it to.

In the single player it's much more viable, but I still find myself tapping to stop anyway, just so I can have the camera perfectly situated where I want it.

@MUWANdo

Banned

They're not physically painful to everyone, though, and the factors that do cause pain for some people are exactly the same for this game as they are for Hunters or any other stylus/d-pad combo control scheme - namely, the weight of supporting the system in the same hand that's working the d-pad/buttons/whatever (which is alleviated by the stand). The flick-turn camera doesn't make any difference either way in that regard.

Bullza2o

Quite interesting. This sounds weird and not really preferable, but I have to see this for myself on Friday before I judge.

Neiteio

It appears that's still in there, but as said earlier, reviews have noted over-shooting or under-shooting where they want the camera to fall when they're trying to get a bead on attacking enemies in the heat of a fight.

Having to flick, rather than naturally slide, requires more work, removing and reapplying the stylus while balancing the system in your other hand. It may be more trying than Hunters in that respect.

Bullza2o

So for those who have the game now. How is online? Better than MK7? Sometimes I get communication errors while searching for worldwide races, so hopefully KI is more reliable.

DarkWish

Yes, they worked fine using my phone.
Cool, glad they work well. I'm going to continue updating the scans with better quality versions if I find any, and I'll scan any cards that I get myself as well.

By the way, I may only have 76 scans, but I have 152 cards listed... so if anyone is curious as to what other cards are out there, I have a running list going. Also, the "Palutena (Rare)" card given away via Club Nintendo has a number of 404... which means there are at least 404 AR Cards. That's a lot to collect!

So for those who have the game now. How is online? Better than MK7? Sometimes I get communication errors while searching for worldwide races, so hopefully KI is more reliable.

I've only played two 3 vs 3 matches, but it ran perfectly smoothly for me.

I was also pleased to see that the game gives you a dummy to beat on while you're searching for players. A neat little touch.

Neiteio

Cool, glad they work well. I'm going to continue updating the scans with better quality versions if I find any, and I'll scan any cards that I get myself as well.

By the way, I may only have 76 scans, but I have 152 cards listed... so if anyone is curious as to what other cards are out there, I have a running list going. Also, the "Palutena (Rare)" card given away via Club Nintendo has a number of 404... which means there are at least 404 AR Cards. That's a lot to collect!
I appreciate you doing this, DarkWish. I plan to use your growing gallery to unlock idol content. I love me some trophies!

DarkWish

I appreciate you doing this, DarkWish. I plan to use your growing gallery to unlock idol content. I love me some trophies!
No problem. I know it's going to be hard for most people to get all the AR Cards since most are just given away at events, so I figured this would be useful.

And I can't wait to see people print out giant versions of these cards and have crazy battles in their rooms and wherever else... that's gonna be cool.

Bullza2o

I've only played two 3 vs 3 matches, but it ran perfectly smoothly for me.

I was also pleased to see that the game gives you a dummy to beat on while you're searching for players. A neat little touch.

Oh like the sandbag thing in brawl, awesome!
And can you meet players you've played with again like in MK7?

Neiteio

No problem. I know it's going to be hard for most people to get all the AR Cards since most are just given away at events, so I figured this would be useful.
Yeah, I'm not intent on hunting down the physical cards, so the online versions will be helpful. :) Your gallery will allow me to instantly unlock Tempura Wizard!

And I can't wait to see people print out giant versions of these cards and have crazy battles in their rooms and wherever else... that's gonna be cool.
That reminds me, there was this video of someone in Japan who printed out a massive, courtyard-filling AR card, next to some statue of a mech in Japan (Gigantor?), and then he took an elevator in a neighboring building and, by viewing the giant AR card on his 3DS from afar, he was able to create a giant-sized Mii onscreen that looked like it was going head-to-head with the mech. Someone needs to do this with Palutena and Medusa!

stolin

I have a few cards that are not scanned in that list. If needed I can get them scanned in a few days.

GDC 2012 Packs
021 - Underworld Key
024 - Three Sacred Treasures Case
081 - Burst Blade
082 - Viper Blade
084 - Royal Blade
098 - Flintlock Staff
145 - Ogre Club
155 - Poseidon Cannon
166 - Shock Orbitars
189 - Wave Angler
192 - Gyrazer
202 - Syren
203 - Shrip
208 - Boogity
219 - Daphne
222 - Merenguy
227 - Zuree
235 - Leox
238 - Snong
244 - Pluton
250 - Shootfly
255 - Fort Oink
256 - Monomiknose
324 - Centurion Strongarm

PAX Prime 2011 with no number
Pitt
Palutena
Medusa

OmegaZero

What is that large Pit image?
Is that a type of weapon? Or is that Pit's "super form"?
Because if it's the latter, then Neiteio just spoiled that for me. :/

Whatever. It looks badass, but I how that shield will work.

Would be hilarious if you could use it in multiplayer, but have 1/2 of your team's health diminish if you died.

Top Bottom