• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Am I the only one worried that irregardless of how good the game is that this is going to be a bad deal in compared to sales relative to the amount of stuff Nintendo is trying to do to hype this game?

I just have a bad feeling GAF. :/

Neiteio

That's awesome. First NA game with the little portraits?
Yeah, to my knowledge. Hopefully it sets a best standard practice in the U.S. Still salty we missed out on all the other portrait cases. :-\

And man, Stolin's the man! Add his cards to your list, DarkWish! And Stolin, that'd be awesome if you can scan your cards so the rest of us can access them on our comps. :)

Gartooth

I really want to like this game, but I'm afraid I will get burned by the controls. I'm left-handed, so that leaves me with substituting either the touch screen or the circle pad with ABXY. I didn't think this would be a problem, as I was planning to spend $20 for a circle pad pro in order to get the best experience with this game, but there are absolutely no retailers that sell the device in my area. In fact a lot of places online seem to have it backordered.

This really put a damper on my excitement for the game, I already know that I will now have an inferior experience compared to other players just because of my dominant hand. I managed to get through Skyward Sword just fine with my right hand, but I'm afraid that Kid Icarus will require more precision as it involves a touch screen instead of hand motions. I'm still planning on picking the game up at launch with or without the add-on, but I'm curious as to what the consensus is on the controls for left-handed players.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Uprising get! Time to play.

Haven't put a ton of time in yet so I haven't checked. It does give you the option to play again with your current teammates post-match.

Is there a way to "party up" with friends and go into matchmaking? Or do you have to go through the awkward process of joining a game and then hoping your friend can join before it's full?

OmegaZero

Why the hell is "Aerial combat is exclusively on-rails" listed as a negative?

Because it's so linear, and doesn't give the player enough choices.
Or some dumb crap like that.

I'm actually buying the game for the air combat (mostly), since I was a fan of Starfox and Sin and Punishment.
Actually, I'm a Treasure whore in general, but whatever.

Is there a way to "party up" with friends and go into matchmaking? Or do you have to go through the awkward process of joining a game and then hoping your friend can join before it's full?

Haven't played with friends yet, but there are two options before entering matchmaking; play with friends or play with anyone.

I hope the online play works on my campus network. For some reason I can connect to things like the E-Shop, the web browser, Nintendo Video, and use Spotpass just fine. However, I've never been able to play in an online Mario Kart race while in my dorm. I assume it's a port thing. If that problem persists for Kid Icarus, Imma havta go all Magnus on some guys in the IT department.

Soul Beat

What makes me sad is that I won't be able to play online for a while. I really need to get internet at the new house.

Hopefully people will still play the game once that happens.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I hope the online play works on my campus network. For some reason I can connect to things like the E-Shop, the web browser, Nintendo Video, and use Spotpass just fine. However, I've never been able to play in an online Mario Kart race while in my dorm. I assume it's a port thing. If that problem persists for Kid Icarus, Imma havta go all Magnus on some guys in the IT department.
If you have wired internet you should be able to turn your laptop into a local transmitter and bypass any university wonkiness. (holy crap spellcheck accepts wonkiness as a word)

If you have wired internet you should be able to turn your laptop into a local transmitter and bypass any university wonkiness. (holy crap spellcheck accepts wonkiness as a word)

Oh, I do that. I'd get nowhere trying to use the campus wifi. But the port restrictions on the Ethernet network is still pretty strict too I guess. I've had problems with some console and PC games too.

rj118

AcAFb.jpg

Why isn't it Friday yet

Kard8p3

It should be obvious at this point but if you want no spoilers you should avoid looking up videos for this on youtube. Someone is doing a playthrough.

Gar, my copy arrived at the convenience store just after my lunch break and I have a work function tonight, so I won't be able to go pick it up until after 9. #firstworldproblems

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I just had the most awful realization...

Palutena rhymes with Macarena.

Now I'm waiting for someone to record a parody version set over spliced video clips from Palutena's Revolting Dinner...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Christ the controls are so stupid. I cannot fucking understand why they didn't bother to include a traditional bounding box to turn the character.

EatChildren

Only a couple of chapters in, no idea how many chapters there are. I was told it's quite long though.

I was on the fence about this game because of the controls, but... then I found out about that ridiculously incredible list of composers, and my purchase was confirmed. Plus, in the end, it is Sakurai after all, and this game is just so wonderfully weird and different that it's impossible to ignore. I want to support Nintendo taking a risk on doing something this different and, frankly, unsafe.

Also, I met an over-excited kid at a Kid Icarus: Uprising multiplayer tournament GameStop held last week, who practically begged me to sell him my (free) pack of 10 AR cards for $30. I was stunned since they were just giving them away there at the tournament, but he was absolutely serious, so I pretty much threw the cards at him, took the money, and proceeded to pre-order the game itself for $10 on Amazon. That helped me want to buy it too. :)

d0c_zaius

I think the game is awesome (after 2 chapters). The 3D is nice and I'm getting adjusted to the controls. Flying will be familiar to most but with the 3d it's way better. The ground fighting is also fun with the melee/shot variations you can do when timed with the dashes and charged shot. Turning the camera is goofy but I'm starting to "turn it like a globe". lol.

The difficulty system also seems pretty cool.

The dialogue is constant sometimes. Some of it is funny and some of it is not.

mu-chan

Neo Member
Christ the controls are so stupid. I cannot fucking understand why they didn't bother to include a traditional bounding box to turn the character.

Come back when you've played above intensity 7.0 and tell me how long bounding-box controls would keep you alive.

Let go your preconceived notions about what games traditionally control like, give the controls some time, and seriously...have an open mind. Thank god Sakurai did.

EatChildren

Come back when you've played above intensity 7.0 and tell me how long bounding-box controls would keep you alive.

Let go your preconceived notions about what games traditionally control like, give the controls some time, and seriously...have an open mind. Thank god Sakurai did.

My mind is open. I wish Sakurai's was as well, allowing players to have options.

EatChildren

The options seem pretty extensive, it's just literally that one thing. (and the CPP dealio)

They are, which is why the exclusion of any kind of bounding box to turn is so strange. There's really no reason at all you couldn't have one or the other, or both active at the same time.

Thoraxes

They are, which is why the exclusion of any kind of bounding box to turn is so strange. There's really no reason at all you couldn't have one or the other, or both active at the same time.
It's crazy. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it on Friday to see how it is.

EatChildren

They're manageable and have their own charm, it just creates an unnecessarily steep learning curve. The advantage of being able to rapidly spin and stop the camera is welcome, and as mu-chan, essential on higher difficulties, but it's still...weird.

Thinking about it, there's really no reason the controls couldn't adopt both methods: camera turning when the recital exists the bounding box, and fast turns with a flick of the stylus. Maybe they couldn't get the balance to work, or didn't try at all. I don't know.

I agree with what FoxHimself said in the op though: the ground controls will be the Achilles heel of the game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yesterday night, I changed the order from Amazon.it to Amazon.uk...and now it says Dispatching soon, and "Dispatch estimate: 23rd March"

Yay?

Jackano

Got mine two days ago. Like I expected, so far I'm not impressed. 3D models and effects are pretty low, and sometimes I have the feeling of not controlling/undestanding anything of the action because of all the shit going on (second boss battle for example).
But, the game have a certain charm (rare thing those days), despite many SmaBro recycling, as already stated there is many things to do, and globally the game seems really well handled.

Now that was strange but, the nice person who sell me the game in the shop where I came asked me if there was anything else I wanted to pre-order, and nothing came to mind until the Wii U. Wtf with the Nintendo planning?

StayDead

Mine has shipped from amiami! (from Japan, I'm in England). So I'll have to wait at least a week to play). Oh well, still hyped! :D

Top Bottom