• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just as a public service announcement: has everyone who has issues with the controls spent five minutes or so exploring the options screen and trying various levels of responsiveness and such? If you have and it still feels terrible, well...I can't argue with that.

gloone

If the box had a sticker on it explaining that it was not for portable use and that I had to build a Kid Icarus section in my house to be able to play it I wouldn't complain about it being unplayable.

zroid

Banned
My main annoyance is of course that there's no reason for the controls to be like this.

If Nintendo never released the cpp or the game never claimed to support it I would just "suck it up" or never even bother to buy the game in the first place.

I spend 4 hours every day on a train and that's where I usually play my 3ds. So when I first opened up my copy on the train on my way home from work today i got really annoyed but I decided to give the game another chance when I got home.

I can get the game to somewhat work and avoid the wrist pain if I rest the 3ds on my lap but then my eyes have a hard time focusing on the 3d effects instead.

Why don't you just play with auto-fire on for a while, and hopefully you'll get used to it gradually, before diving into multiplayer.

branny

I must play weird because I think the stand is uncomfortable. It's surprisingly sturdy, but I feel restricted, particularly with the circle pad.

SmithnCo

Just beat Chapter 5, wow.

The crazy environments, Pandora banter, and of course, Pit's posing before the boss.

And so far I've been fine without the stand. Honestly can't imagine setting that thing up and playing with my hands like that. Hooking my pinky around the 3DS to steady it is fine.

zroid

Banned
I must play weird because I think the stand is uncomfortable. It's surprisingly sturdy, but I feel restricted, particularly with the circle pad.

my main problem with the stand is keeping the 3D in focus. other than that though it makes it a good deal easier for me.

jluedtke

Checked all over the place. Cant find it for the life of me

It's not. And as far as I can tell, it hasn't been emailed out yet. Check this thread

When I picked up my copy today, the dude at the customer service desk had no idea when or how it was being delivered. Best Buy really needs to get their shit straight when it comes to preorders...

zroid

Banned
best buy does suck (practically lied to me about getting bonus AR cards), but at least I'm getting a $10 credit from them for pre-ordering. combined with $5 off by price matching with amazon, i guess it's worth dealing with their crap to save 15 bucks.

Teknoman

If the box had a sticker on it explaining that it was not for portable use and that I had to build a Kid Icarus section in my house to be able to play it I wouldn't complain about it being unplayable.

The controls really arent that uncomfortable :p Just replay level 1 a few times until you get used to it. Also for land battles, when actually dodging an attack, you have to be standing still and not shooting.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I don't use the stand at all.

I think if you try and just go in to every situation like a madman shooting all over the place you'll get yourself in trouble with the camera.

Try and hang back and shoot at shit from the outside, only go in for harder monsters.

I mean, yeah, the controls do work. You've just gotta get look at what you are doing and try and fix what isn't working for you.

Also, turn on aim assist!

Edit2: It reminds me of Monster Hunter in a way. Your first impulse is to just go in and try and flail away till you win, but it just doesn't work like that. You have to be methodical.

massoluk

Banned
Finished Chapter 6, did some online multiplayer.

- Control issue is defnitely way overblown. Got used to it in no time. It's really not that much different from Metroid Prime Hunter.

- What people should be complaining about is actually the platforming aspect of the single player. It sucks, big time. Has the platforming been more forgiving, this game would have been perfect.

- God damn, the hand does hurt

- The stand WORKS with Nyko Powergrip.

rockx4

I actually have to remove the Nyko battery pack, the 3DS is really uncomfortable holding with 1 hand, using the L trigger, and holding the stylus with my right hand. :(

Tunic

I just finished playing through the first 3 Chapters and replayed through the same chapters once each with different weapons. My impression at first was that the controls were difficult but I kept powering through it and now it feels much better to me. In the beginning I couldn't get used to using the stylus to aim but I watched some of the videos from the "How to Play" section of the game and it helped me out quite a bit. Overall I am loving this game though! The gameplay is so enjoyable to me and I can't simply get enough. I am definitely proud of my purchase!

zroid

Banned

god amazon.ca is such a POS compared to its US counterpart. They don't even *have* price matching. forget about an initiative to automatically do it for EVERYONE

amazon.ca said:
Price Matching

Amazon.ca doesn't price-match with other retailers (including those who sell their items on our website). We do, however, consistently work toward maintaining competitive prices on everything we carry.

:eye roll:

branny

Edit2: It reminds me of Monster Hunter in a way. Your first impulse is to just go in and try and flail away till you win, but it just doesn't work like that. You have to be methodical.
I agree with this 100%. Even on medium-ish intensities, you have to be very deliberate in terms of both movement and shooting, especially if your weapon has particular strengths in certain areas like stronger backdash charge shot or something.

Since I'm playing Tales of Graces right now, I'll go out on a limb and say that this is basically the shooter version of that game. :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I agree with this 100%. Even on medium-ish intensities, you have to be very deliberate in terms of both movement and shooting, especially if your weapon has particular strengths in certain areas like stronger backdash charge shot or something.

Right, and you know the weapons are VERY different. And your play style will vary drastically depending on what you have equipped. You really need to know your weapon as well to be effective.

Jarsonot

Played past chapter 8, and a few multiplayer matches.

Played it sitting on my couch, sitting at a table with the stand, sitting in my car, and laying in bed.

I don't have any problems with the controls at all, and LOVE this game so far.

I did tweak the sensitivity to near max, and changed the camera reticle to stop almost immediately when I spin (so it doesn't just keep spinning) and it's working really well for me.

I'm mostly playing at difficulty 4.5, with a few forays into higher levels. I've squeaked by a few times and it's awesome.

I really like the different powers you can get, and unless I just missed something I've found things you can only get with
a jump power, and it looked like one area needed the jump/glide but I didn't have it equipped.

Game rocks so far. I need more hearts. =)

Codeblue

Sooooo good. I'm up to mission 3.

I hated the ground controls for the first mission, upped the sensitivity to max with slow stop for the second one and fell into a nice flow of camera swinging. A bounding box thing would have been cool but this is fine for me now.

Also Palms are totally the way to go for single player.

Dreweyes

Wiping out guys left and right, loling at all the great dialoge and convo's, listening to its enchanting badass music, mastering its difficult controls, all while collecting a shit load of addictive treasure.

This is how you make a game.

eggplant032008.gif

I love this game and I am getting use to the controls so meh

everything else so so so gud :3

I want to take my time chapter 5 is open but I have not clicked it yet keep going back trying to level up my weapon and seeing if I can do intensity 5/6 I get my ass handed to me on 6

Balb

Maybe I'm weird but I thought the controls felt pretty natural within the first few seconds of playing. Then again I thought Metroid Prime Hunters had pretty good controls.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Woohoo! I knew Amazon would come through.

This has officially become the sweetest game deal I've had in a while:

Fuckawesome 1st party 3DS game + free Kid Icarus 3D Classics + 3DS Stand + free release-day delivery = all for $29.99? Holy hell <3

I know it's a great deal!

qq more

Woohoo! I knew Amazon would come through.

This has officially become the sweetest game deal I've had in a while:

Fuckawesome 1st party 3DS game + free Kid Icarus 3D Classics + 3DS Stand + free release-day delivery = all for $29.99? Holy hell <3

Not to mention the game comes with some cards.

Amazing indeed.

MooMoo

I've only played a single match of Light vs. Dark, but I FREAKING KICKED ASS :p It was pretty crazy, I couldn't really tell what was going on, but it was fun haha.

So what difficulty is everyone playing at? I tend to use 2 for laid-back sessions and 5/6 for my normal sessions. I haven't even touched 8+ because I tried 7 and even though I survived, it was too intense for me :p Kinda stopped at Chapter 5 just to go replay the first few levels/mess around with weapon fusion.

KevinCow

Banned
Ugh. I hate having a shit internet connection. It likes to drop out for a few seconds randomly. Annoying but something I can deal with when browsing the internet, but absolutely infuriating when trying to play an online game. I've tried three times, and they've all ended in disconnects.

branny

How is heart frequency? My only real worry is having to "grind" for hearts in the game.
On higher intensities, it's like breaking open a piñata with every enemy you kill. All those hearts provide a very satisfying, steady stream of clinking sounds. I wouldn't worry about needing to grind because you're rewarded for everything you do. You could spend all day in multiplayer amassing hearts, weapons, and powers if you wanted. It's not like the original Kid Icarus where you had to constantly worry about a obtaining a certain amount of hearts or anything. Did I misunderstand the question?

This is how you make a game.

Ugh. I hate having a shit internet connection. It likes to drop out for a few seconds randomly. Annoying but something I can deal with when browsing the internet, but absolutely infuriating when trying to play an online game. I've tried three times, and they've all ended in disconnects.
I'm glad there's an option to play alone with bots for that very reason. :(

Alex

I remember when Monster Hunter first came out on the PS2 and I convinced a friend to buy it with me and like an hour in it was like oh god this is the worst game ever what have I done.

Then it clicks and you get used to the eccentric controls. What an odd thing that was.

Of course I havent tried this yet, but I hope it's a scenario like that! I used my credit on it!

SmithnCo

Chapter 7 has some great scenery too.

I love fusing weapons, I like to buy cheaper ones then fuse them up to higher, and see if I can fuse that with my current best weapon to make it better. So far I've used a bunch of different weapon types through every chapter.

OmegaZero

Just a heads up for all of you who use a Circle Pad Pro, but are right handed.
You can set Attack to the LZ button by switching Attack to the R button in options. So if your L button is dead like mine, then you can still attack.

Top Bottom