• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

The Nintendo World Store Card (apparently only 250 exist)

Bt652.png

Works with my AR reader. :)

Worked for me. Thanks!

SoulUnison

Banned
Playing this game makes me realize that Sakurai is moving onto Smash Bros. development. Knowing him, he'll want to at least match Brawl, if not exceed it. And *this* game is so...!

Smash Bros. 3DS! HRGGNGH!

meppi

Totally forgot this game was about to come out.
Didn't really plan to get it on launch day for whatever reason, but I just watched the new videos on the Nintendo Channel and I immediately ordered it from amazon. :D
Looks amazing!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Picked my copy up yesterday and played the first two levels. My jaw is on the ground, because I thought I had an idea what the 3DS hardware was capable of, and I'm happy to be wrong.

Had a blast playing it, but I agree that this isn't lefty friendly. I'll be better when I can get my hands on a CPP in April, because my left hand is begging for the stylus. Haven't messed with the AR cards, nor have I opened them up to look at them.

I hope we see more Kid Icarus in the future, and damn this makes me want a new in house Starfox game!

gloone

People complaining about hands cramps with 3DS

Guys! Please check
THIS
out. My hand used to cramp up a lot with the 3DS and this has helped. It has helped a lot with KIU especially (and it has a built-in third leg for a stand). The 3DS is not made for big hands.

People having issues with the AR cards

I had this issue. Make sure the auto white-balance of the 3DS is set properly. If the cards appear and orange/yellow tinge, it means the setting is off. I fixed this issue by aiming my 3DS as a wide shot of my environment before focusing on the cards. If you are immediately focused on the cards on the table, it becomes an issue. The cards should have a proper white outline, and they should work almost instantly.

Sure. I'll try to order that. But paying $70 for the game, $38 for the ccp and now another $20 for some plastic pos is insane.

Ragus

Banned
Has anyone tried using the stand, but not in a way it was designed to? Instead of setting it up on the table, I do the same but on my laps. Thanks to that I play in a comfortable position and I have no hand cramps.

My girlfriend was able to play this game with no problems whatsoever.
She understood the controls and everything (she plays games every now and then).

I do have a Nyko power battery which makes the 3DS easier to hold

I'm on mission 14 already!!
it keeps getting better and better! OMG this game!!!

gloone

My girlfriend was able to play this game with no problems whatsoever.
She understood the controls and everything (she plays games every now and then).

I do have a Nyko power battery which makes the 3DS easier to hold

I'm on mission 14 already!!
it keeps getting better and better! OMG this game!!!

I doubt there's anyone in here having problems "understanding the controls".

codhand

I have that grip too, dont have KI yet, but the grip I can vouch for as being essential, buy an extra one for your friend. Also the grip does have a kickstand to prop it up if desired, it's not very sturdy, but it works at the right angle.

I haven't gotten any spotpass weapons. Do you need to activate spotpass seperately to work for KI or what? I'm still pretty new to the whole spotpass thing.

Veal

Cree Summer is my waifu. I love whenever Medusa shows up! Also, the way everyone says "Palutena" is kinda...endearing. Nintendo did an excellent job with the localization and casting (!)

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone else find it completely comfortable to play without the stand? I usually just hold the 3DS on my lap and play it, without any intense hand cramps.

disco

I was weary and initially bought it because I was bored. Didn't think games like this would interest me but bloody hell - amazing. Really really blown away. Love it. Should I get Starfox 643D too?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I was weary and initially bought it because I was bored. Didn't think games like this would interest me but bloody hell - amazing. Really really blown away. Love it. Should I get Starfox 643D too?

Starfox on 3DS is the definitive version... the visuals are upgraded more than it may look. It's really excellent.

Woo! Got a SpotPass weapon!
I love how active that little blue light has been lately.

how strong are the spotpass weapons?

I am hoping for something over 300 value just hit 200 and would like more power :3

have not had a spotpass yet my wireless is not even downloading my 3D Classics :( and cannot play multi

Hey J-GAF, where the hell is the option to offer hearts to the goddess? I keep seeing folks with the English version talking about that, but I don't see an option like that in the JP version.

What menu is it under? I feel like I'm overlooking something right in front of my face.

Ragus

Banned
Hey J-GAF, where the hell is the option to offer hearts to the goddess? I keep seeing folks with the English version talking about that, but I don't see an option like that in the JP version.

What menu is it under? I feel like I'm overlooking something right in front of my face.

Is the menu scheme the same in both versions? If yes, then select green icon with a chest and later select green icon with Pauletena's photo.

Javier

I woke up up and had a gem with Palutena's name on it that I got through SpotPass. In case you haven't, you have to go to options and manually enable SpotPass. It's NOT on by default!

But this game is so awesome. Finished Chapter 7 and I'm loving it. Even at difficulty 4.0 it's pretty damn hard!

Is the menu scheme the same in both versions? If yes, then select green icon with a chest and later select green icon with Pauletena's photo.

You're my hero. For some reason I thought it was supposed to be under where you upgrade/purchase weapons. I've spent zero time in the Collection menu. XD.

Thanks!

Effect

I think I got a good position now when it comes to holding the 3DS. Have to either sit with my legs or at least one leg folded and rest part of the system on the leg. Still haven't tried the stand yet but what I'm doing now works so I might not need it as I don't want to sit at a desk to play. Also pays to just relax. If you can play a high level while completely relaxed I think that works best. So I'll be sticking around intensity 3 to 4 even if the game suggest I try higher. To much going on makes me a bit nervous and I start getting sloppy. That in turn affects how I hold the system itself. It's hard to really enjoy the graphics, banter, etc if I'm not able to relax and focus on everything. Challenge will come later in online I think.Not going to worry to much about it on my first play through especially since I can easily see myself coming back and replaying levels (already did the first one).

It also looks like Palutena is walking toward you the more you offer hearts to her. Wonder how many it will take to make her come closer.

StAidan

I've been taking it slow (haven't even tried the third chapter yet), but on my plays/replays of the levels so far, I'd definitely have to say the controls are bad.

That's not to say they're unworkable -- just poor compared to most other Nintendo games. I tried multiple configurations that I thought might be better for my left-handedness, but in the end I've just settled on the standard right-hand controls. (I don't intend to try/buy a CPP.)

With that said, I wouldn't say that the controls have really detracted from my experience yet. I have some trouble with the execution of circle-strafing, which seems to be really necessary for the
Chapter 1 / Intensity 5.0 miniboss
, but that'll just require extra practice on my part.

Nothing but praise for the rest of the game. The graphical quality and 3D effects are utterly awe-inspiring in parts, and the music is (no pun intended) divine. The over-the-top dialog is excellent and neither too childish for adults, nor too mature for kids to get what's going on.

Can't wait to dig into it some more, but alas, I have weekend projects galore to keep me away.

Ragus

Banned
Am I the only one who is constantly raped in online battles? It's like I can barely move before someone nukes me with explosions and stuff.

You're my hero. For some reason I thought it was supposed to be under where you upgrade/purchase weapons. I've spent zero time in the Collection menu. XD.

Thanks!

No problem. You also should spend some time there, as there is a lot to see in this Collection menu ;).

Disguises

Am I the only one who is constantly raped in online battles? It's like I can barely move before someone nukes me with explosions and stuff.
I'd suggest practising offline with low level bots first. Gradually increase their difficulty and you start to learn what works well and what doesn't.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The more I see of this game the more confused I am that it ever got made, especially for a portable system. The quick look says it all "use the stand or don't buy it".

Yes because portable gaming, where I want to use a plastic stand on top of a table in my house.

Can't even use the CPP to make the aiming non stylus either apparently?

Wouldn't be surprised if the writing/voice acting wasn't done by the same abomination that did them for Other M.

kSt

Still waiting for delivery. Not today for sure. I`ll call local Delivery Office on Monday, but I won`t be playing this weekend, and next week is unusually busy.
I hate everything right now.

Ragus

Banned
The more I see of this game the more confused I am that it ever got made, especially for a portable system. The quick look says it all "use the stand or don't buy it".

Yes because portable gaming, where I want to use a plastic stand on top of a table in my house.

I lay on my bed/sit in a chair and I don't have to use the stand on the table.

One of my favorite visual touches in the game is the way in which it incorporates 8 bit sprites and art in menus etc. It's been a while since I've worked through menus so visually pleasing.

The quick look says it all "use the stand or don't buy it".

I haven't actually taken the stand out of the box and probably won't. There's simply no reason to use it as far as I'm concerned.

Reknoc

A lot of things are said during quick looks.

Wouldn't be surprised if the writing/voice acting wasn't done by the same abomination that did them for Other M.

You can play it without the stand just fine. You're just going to have to hold it with one hand.

You can change the options so you aim with the circle pad or buttons (like an N64 FPS or something) without a CPP, but you're probably not going to like that after trying it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Sounds like I need to watch this QL for a laugh or two

Cliffs of the QL

Hand cramps galore without stand.
Far too easy even when bumping difficulty up.
Cringe worth anime-esque voice acting/writing.
Breaking the fourth wall.
Some loot/fusion/gem systems that are unexpected but a nice addition if they work well.
Brad seems to enjoy it, but I'm not exactly sure why.

Issue with AR stuff but that's partly because their capture setup is a god damn nightmare to move around due to cables and such.

You can change the options so you aim with the circle pad or buttons (like an N64 FPS or something) without a CPP, but you're probably not going to like that after trying it.

On the flipside, I can vouch for this control scheme. By default the sensitivity is way, WAY too low, but after some adjustments you'll be good to go.

It's the same way I played Prime Hunters and I found it to be the most enjoyable. Of all the options I find it leaves me holding the 3DS in the most comfortable way.

Top Bottom