• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

The more I see of this game the more confused I am that it ever got made, especially for a portable system. The quick look says it all "use the stand or don't buy it".

Yes because portable gaming, where I want to use a plastic stand on top of a table in my house.

Can't even use the CPP to make the aiming non stylus either apparently?

Wouldn't be surprised if the writing/voice acting wasn't done by the same abomination that did them for Other M.

If you pass on this game, You would be missing one of the best Nintendo games I've played in a long time.

And to the bolded part, not even close.

LuchaShaq

Banned
If you pass on this game, You would be missing one of the best Nintendo games I've played in a long time.

And to the bolded part, not even close.

Gf was given a 3ds as a gift so I'm grabbing this through gamefly. If the writing/voice acting is like what is shown in the quicklook all the way through the game I am expecting to send it back the same/next day due to being driven crazy by it.

Penguin

Cliffs of the QL

Hand cramps galore without stand.
Far too easy even when bumping difficulty up.
Cringe worth anime-esque voice acting/writing.
Breaking the fourth wall.
Some loot/fusion/gem systems that are unexpected but a nice addition if they work well.
Brad seems to enjoy it, but I'm not exactly sure why.

Issue with AR stuff but that's partly because their capture setup is a god damn nightmare to move around due to cables and such.

Well wouldn't say the voice acting/writing is cringe-worthy.
Its going for a Sat morning feel or something more light-hearted, and it knows it. Now if they were trying to play it seriously, I would think it comes off as cringe-worthy

But that's me anyhow.

I think I'm getting the hang of online matches.
Japanese players might be at an advantage with more streetpass oportunities and gems to craft better weapons. Regardless, it's starting to make more sense to me now.
(I'm getting absolutely destroyed online though)

Gf was given a 3ds as a gift so I'm grabbing this through gamefly. If the writing/voice acting is like what is shown in the quicklook all the way through the game I am expecting to send it back the same/next day due to being driven crazy by it.

Rock on for giving it a chance!

*fists in the air*

LuchaShaq

Banned
I think I'm getting the hang of online matches.
Japanese players might be at an advantage with more streetpass oportunities and gems to craft better weapons. Regardless, it's starting to make more sense to me now.
(I'm getting absolutely destroyed online though)

Rock on for giving it a chance!

*fists in the air*

I've been proven wrong countless times so why not? Best recent example was Asura's Wrath. Thought it was going to be a steaming pile of nonsense, but it ended up being a worthwhile hilarious in both the best and worst ways mountain of planet punching nonsense.

Defeated Medusa
so am going back over the first levels for Intensity 9 :/

Game really comes alive, every moment is basically life or death. Just done the first level, and the mini boss was actually hard!

Love all the options in the game, currently using Orbitars but think I'll move to something more ranged.

Won my first multi-player game, it seems a bit too hectic though. I think a in-flight battle/co-op game would work well. Quick match-making though which is thumbs up; and team play works well.

In line with the SP - the MP is very quick. Overall Kid Icarus is just an incredibly fast paced rpc/shooter/pisstake :D

Love it!

Downhome

Amazon refunded me $10, guess they price matched Toys R Us. Not bad Amazon, not bad

I just got the email as well. Odd since the price on the site isn't any lower. Oh well!

I only paid $19.99 of it in the first place because of Amazon credit, so now it is down to just $9.99. Woohoo!

Sapiens

Cliffs of the QL

Some loot/fusion/gem systems that are unexpected but a nice addition if they work well.

Issue with AR stuff but that's partly because their capture setup is a god damn nightmare to move around due to cables and such.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt the Voice work was terrible.

I just got the email as well. Odd since the price on the site isn't any lower. Oh well!

I only paid $19.99 of it in the first place because of Amazon credit, so now it is down to just $9.99. Woohoo!

The refund was due to their "Pre-order Price Guarantee", so that's why it's still the same price online. Regardless, I'm in the same boat as you due to the Amazon credit! Might have to treat myself to a copy of Xenoblade now!

You sound dissapointed did you
watch the credits till the end?

Oh no I did - just intensity 9 is very very difficult :D
Can't wait to play the rest, I just like to complete as I go :)

PS: On Multiplayer, dead embaressing if you become Pit and...fall off the map in 2 seconds and thus lose :p

Wizpig

Ha, ha, ha.

Btw, playing without stand and using ABXY to move + stylus.
It's perfect.

Voice acting and writing is genius.

Obligatory "Wonder why Nintendo usually makes MarioZeldaZeldaMario? here's the answer".
This is the game Nintendo fans needed, a new "Star Fox".

But no dual analog for the CoD audience and no MarioZelda in it makes it a little harder for it to break through, apparently.

Downhome

The refund was due to their "Pre-order Price Guarantee", so that's why it's still the same price online. Regardless, I'm in the same boat as you due to the Amazon credit! Might have to treat myself to a copy of Xenoblade now!

It just can't be beat mixed with the free download of the 3D Classics version on top of it all.

KevinCow

Banned
Cliffs of the QL

They had the difficulty at 2.5 out of 9. It's been easy so far because 2.5 is still easy mode, even if he bumped it up a bit from the default 2.0.

The highest I've tried is 4.8, which is already getting pretty crazy. I'm sure the game's brutal if you want to go all the way up to 9.0.

There are some reasonable complaints that I can understand about this game, but lack of difficulty isn't one of them.

Codeblue

Cliffs of the QL

If it's too easy on 9, they must be gods.

Also I thought the voice actors and script totally nailed it and love the constant banter, (I loved it in Xenoblade too). I don't know, maybe it's because I don't have a super negative response to anime. Though, I didn't even feel like it was anime-esque dialog.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Difficulty setting is one of the most groundbreaking feature of this game. Actually I can't think of any other game that allows to adjust difficulty to 100 different intensity levels.

who the fuck am i playing when i chose nearby? bots? it says local and when i chose it the game starts instantly but lags hard i thought the MP was just not good but when i play far away it is way smoother. this makes no sense.

Cliffs of the QL

hand cramps maybe, i don't think it's that bad.
EASY? are you kidding me, if you play on 7+ and think it is easy you are damn good at games and i know GB aren't.
the dialog is very funny and not anime esque, not even by a long shot.

edit: shit i double posted, i wanted to edit.

SmithnCo

hand cramps maybe, i don't think it's that bad.
EASY? are you kidding me, if you play on 7+ and think it is easy you are damn good at games and i know GB aren't.
the dialog is very funny and not anime esque, not even by a long shot.

edit: shit i double posted, i wanted to edit.

Agreed on difficulty. If the game has flaws, difficulty is not one of them. It can be very easy or completely brutal if need be.

Anteo

Is it possible a patch could add dual control functionality ?

Doubt Sakurai added the necesary hooks for patches to work.

Also, I think they didn't want Dual Analog in, I mean there is a scheme that lets you move with the face buttons and target with the pad. The fact that they didn't bother to extend this scheme to the cpp says a lot.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The way 3DS is displayed in video tutorials makes me even more doubtful they will add a second analog stick in 3DS XL.

Edit: though now I think about it, it happened in several games to see a GBA unit during tutorials, that looked weird when playing on a GBA SP.

I got this yesterday and ended getting pretty far in the game. I also yried out online and YOU CAN ACTUALLY PLAY IT!

FUCK YEA!!!

Anywayz: Flight section are awsome but probably like most (haven't read through all of the thread yet) the ground sections really start to hurt my hand. (the one holding the 3DS) but the ground controls are cool they just hurt my hand. Had to quit after awhile and switched to playing 3D Classics Kid Icarus. Thats a pretty good game to. Maybe I will finally beat it now that I got some save functions up in here.

The game has the best dialog of any game I have ever played. Seriously the dialog is half the game lol. I really hope this does well and they do a sequel on Wii U or another 3DS one. I really hope this can be tirned back into a franchise and isn't a one off.

AND ONLINES PLAYABLE! How is such a thing even possibe in a Sakurai game?

Also: Why can you move the menu items around if you can't permanetly change their location? I wanna change their location since I can move them around...lol.

Also: Also: My AR Cards, let me show you them:

Pit
Palutena
Monoeye
Dark Pit
Dark Lord Gaof
Fortune Bow

+Power of Flight from Game Informer.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I got this yesterday and ended getting pretty far in the game. I also yried out online and YOU CAN ACTUALLY PLAY IT!

FUCK YEA!!!

Anywayz: Flight section are awsome but probably like most (haven't read through all of the thread yet) the ground sections really start to hurt my hand. (the one holding the 3DS) but the ground controls are cool they just hurt my hand. Had to quit after awhile and switched to playing 3D Classics Kid Icarus. Thats a pretty good game to. Maybe I will finally beat it now that I got some save functions up in here.

Interesting...if I get any hand cramps at all they're in my stylus hand

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Difficulty setting is one of the most groundbreaking feature of this game. Actually I can't think of any other game that allows to adjust difficulty to 100 different intensity levels.

The World Ends With You has about that may if you include all difficulties at all levels.

Prinny

Stage 5 ground part is almost unplayable with ABXY for movement, I almost killed myself by falling so much.

Nintendo, make a patch for dual circle pad, please?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I don't get the dialogue being called anime-esque. If anything its like a cheesy saturday morning cartoon.

In the best possible way

Is it possible a patch could add dual control functionality ?

Sakurai said in an interview that I read in Nintendo Power that they messed around with dual stick control with the CPP a few times but that it came too late in their development so they didn't want to just add it in and have to retest the whole game with that control mechanic so they just stuck with the 1 stick + touch screen input method.

I got disconnected my first online match, made me lol and think of smash brawl

Glad to hear it's good though, I only tried one time, been hooked on single player :D

KarmaCow

I don't get the dialogue being called anime-esque. If anything its like a cheesy saturday morning cartoon.

In the best possible way

Yea I was worried it would be more like the Nintendo Video clips, but it's better than that. It's still walking the line between cheesy and terrible but it pulls it off most of the time.

StAidan

So what is the verdict on this game for lefties? Especially without a CPP?

I'm a lefty with no CPP. I've been all right with the standard stylus controls. It started out kind of awkward, but it's been getting better. (And I couldn't stand any of the alternate schemes.)

massoluk

Banned
I'm getting my ass handed to me at difficulty of more than 5.0, though I did clear first and second level on 5+.

I wish there are better tutorial on the game system outside of solo (streetpass, multiplayer, cauldron). Are they hidden somewhere I overlooked?

Codeblue

I'm getting my ass handed to me at difficulty of more than 5.0, though I did clear first and second level on 5+.

I wish there are better tutorial on the game system outside of solo (streetpass, multiplayer, cauldron). Are they hidden somewhere I overlooked?
Yeah, there's a book in the bottom corner of the mode select that plays 11 videos that run through almost everything.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Morning. KI:U is awesome. That is all.
The flight segments are GREAT. The on-foot stuff isn't nearly as bad as I feared. The controls are a bit weird (and I suggest turning the touch screen sensitivity sliders way up for all modes). Star Fox ASSault this is not.
Grinding out hearts, higher scores, and crazy loot is going to be VERY fun. And then fusing the weapons for even better ones.
Played through the first two stages, the first stage at the default of intensity level 2 (stupid easy), then replayed stage one at intensity level 5 (which granted access to a new room with a new boss-type battle and treasure chest), and almost got my ass handed to me. The stage one boss went down when I had NO health left. Good stuff. The beefed up gear I got after finishing the stage on intensity level 5 was more than worth the effort!
No interest in the multiplayer, but I'm happy to see the panel unlock system of SSB return!

muu

I've been very surprised by the dialogue. Very well done, the trailer led me to believe it was going to be complete shit.

BTW, are there any perks for playing on FFA vs Light vs Dark? Seems like you get good gear either way, and my current setup (high dmg black club & black hole combo) leads itself more to teamplay, not to mention it's a heck of a lot more fun.

Salaadin

Might be old but Amazon just emailed me. Theyre refunding me 10 bucks because of preorder price guarantee. I guess at some point in the past week, the game was listed at 30 dollars but they charged me 40 for it?

daakusedo

I played a long time on missions and tried the multiplayer today.
After the first battle, I already got a weapon more powerful than what I was able to have in solo. Also with the time spent playing on 5.0 and higher, I wasn't lost in internet battles, hoping to play with others members here.

SmithnCo

Might be old but Amazon just emailed me. Theyre refunding me 10 bucks because of preorder price guarantee. I guess at some point in the past week, the game was listed at 30 dollars but they charged me 40 for it?

They are price matching Best Buy's $30 price.

Top Bottom