• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Codeblue

4.0 to 5.0 usually, but I beat level 1 at 8.0 :)
Well I tried 9.0 then died once

I started Level 1 at 8 and I was pretty much near death the entire time. The level 5 door enemy made me use all of my healing items and from that point on it was just a desperate fight to get to the next healing item. The boss fight ended with my health bar flashing and a final blow as he lunged at me.

It was pretty amazing. I'm not going near 9 for now though.

The game is absolutely fantastic. I will say though that I did have difficulty playing the game while laying in bed. It was kind of tough trying to balance the 3DS on my pinky while frantically swiping the screen. I do think there needs to be a sensitivity for how much the camera will pan with the stylus on the screen panning the camera (not a swipe). The options only give you the ability to adjust how much the camera will swing when you swipe.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This game might be the best game I have ever played my entire life.... if it was controllable with a mouse xD

Took me about an hour to adjust but yeah this game is fucking amazing once you get the controls down.

Oh and Shield Orbitars are OP as fuck in PvP <3 them

I really dig the training room. It's something I liked about MGS4 and Psi-ops too. Every game needs a room like that to just mess around in.
So very much YES.

This game might be the best game I have ever played my entire life.... if it was controllable with a mouse xD

Took me about an hour to adjust but yeah this game is fucking amazing once you get the controls down.

Oh and Shield Orbitars are OP as fuck in PvP <3 them
Honest question: do you find holding the stylus up and moving it around difficult, given your condition?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its all of the ancillary stuff that makes this game for me. It feels like the kind of "above and beyond" package that you don't get nearly enough of these days. Would it have been a blast as just a single player campaign with a handful of weapons? Yeah, it would have been awesome. They didn't need to include dozens of weapons, fusion systems, powerup grids, fully featured multiplayer modes and bizarre things like the AR minigame. This is a game where you can just tell the team was bursting with "wouldn't it be really cool if..." ideas

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So very much YES.

Honest question: do you find holding the stylus up and moving it around difficult, given your condition?

I've been playing laying down in bed on my belly with the 3ds on top of two pillows as leverage xD I make due the way I gotta xD

I beat Trauma Center 1 completely max ranked with my condition so I don't let shit hold me back if I can help it :p

It is a little hard to play sitting up though due to how I gotta hold up the 3ds and my arms get tired really easy these days. I might try the stand later.

NeoRausch

You know....ground Missions played in First Person-Mode feels like a (slow) oldscool....well...first person shooter. :3

even has a littel keyboard/mouse feel to it. But the level desing isn't really made for it. Multi drops of death.

Just be chapter 8.

was awesome until I started to get motion sickness....

I also can't seem to find a perfect way to play this game control wise..If it isn't my fingers cramping up then it's my neck and now the sickness.

I like this game but the controls are seriously a major negative...for me at least.

I'm enjoying myself regardless so theres that.

But still sucks.

KevinCow

Banned
I see. Thanks KevinCow. So, no stars next to the weapon=it's useless?

I wouldn't say useless. No stars is just the base damage stat. I'm sure there are instances of, say, a cannon with 0 in ranged being more powerful than a claw with 1 or 2 in ranged.

Dammit you guys, I was hyped for this game at first, but had my mind more or less made up to not get it due to all the buzz over crap controls. After all the gushing and estatic comments from everyone in this thread though, I'm not so sure anymore...

How's the game's length since I'm entertaining the idea now?

The controls are really, really being blown out of proportion. I can understand the issues people are having, but they're absolutely not worth the "MAN FUCK THIS STUPID GAME" response some people seem to be having. They're weird and unconventional, and they can be a bit uncomfortable at times, but you'll learn the controls and find a way to hold the system that minimizes any discomfort if you just play for a bit.

As for game length, pretty damn long for a game like this. I'm 7 hours in and haven't beaten it yet. I'd guess I'll probably top out at about 10 hours for the first run. And then there's plenty of incentive to replay stages on higher difficulties to get more awesome weapons.

It really makes games like Star Fox and Sin & Punishment seem downright empty in terms of content.

Just tried out the no touch screen mode where you hold down R and the circle pad controls movement and the reticule at the same time, its not bad..

SmithnCo

How are most of you holding the 3DS? Maybe it's because I've gotten used to it this way, but I hand the left hand normally and with the right hand hook my pinky finger around the 3DS while using the stylus. So far it hasn't been uncomfortable, unlike with long sessions of MK7 where holding down the face button to accelerate forced me to have crab hand syndrome. The camera control itself isn't perfect but so far holding the system while playing hasn't been an issue for me.

Medusa was an awesome challenge XD

17 hours played so far only 30 more hours to take the #1 spot from Zelda on my 3DS rankings

damn weak as weapons what was the point of wearing all that to the final boss fight?

meh need strong weapons do I have to grind until I can raise 200K hearts to buys something extreme?

Busaiku

How are most of you holding the 3DS? Maybe it's because I've gotten used to it this way, but I hand the left hand normally and with the right hand hook my pinky finger around the 3DS while using the stylus. So far it hasn't been uncomfortable, unlike with long sessions of MK7 where holding down the face button to accelerate forced me to have crab hand syndrome. The camera control itself isn't perfect but so far holding the system while playing hasn't been an issue for me.

Left hand only holding the Circle Pad and L Button, 3DS digging into my right hand's lower left region.

Is this game worth getting a 3DS for? It may be the deciding factor for me.............

BTW, I also want Super Mario 3D land and Mario Kart 5. Is it time to buy a 3DS for me?

hatchx

Banned
Reviewers have been saying 12 hours for just a single run through of single player.
However, I assume they're doing like 5.0 or lower.

This probably doesn't include the doors locked at different Intesities either.

chapters dude. I'm on 12 and it feels like I should be rounding the bend, but I ain't. I ain't.

SmithnCo

The best game I played on my Nintendo 3DS.

Best looking too, I'm blown away by some of the scenery, especially
the space pirate ship scene in chapter 8.

The actual art design is great too, like with stuff like the
constellations in that same level.

Yeah, we all feel it. This is the game.
Amazon gave me $10 back this morning which makes it the best purchase ever.

Anyone know what happens when you go for the *Try This?* Intensity at the heart cauldron?

Is anyone else enjoying KI: 3D classics? I didn't put it down until I beat it pretty much, I haven't even played Uprising yet haha.

I REALLY loved the added background. It was actually pleasant to look at the whole way through. But having played this on Wii VC, I gotta say I think Nintendo tinkered with the difficultly. When Pit used to jump after he would land he would always take a step forward automatically which lead to some frustrating platforming. In addition to that, as Pit desends from a jump if you hold "A" button he'll slow his fall - I dont ever remember that being in the original. Also the hit boxes seem more forgiving in the 3-d version too.

Anyone else notice this? Or is everyone too busy playing the 3DS game

I really want to play the sequel for Gameboy but looking it up it seems NA shop dosn't have it. Is this correct? Seriously!?

WTF

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

I felt a little tingly in a certain spot at the way she said naughty no lie xD

Is anyone else enjoying KI: 3D classics? I didn't put it down until I beat it pretty much, I haven't even played Uprising yet haha.

I REALLY loved the added background. It was actually pleasant to look at the whole way through. But having played this on Wii VC, I gotta say I think Nintendo tinkered with the difficultly. When Pit used to jump after he would land he would always take a step forward automatically which lead to some frustrating platforming. In addition to that, as Pit desends from a jump if you hold "A" button he'll slow his fall - I dont ever remember that being in the original. Also the hit boxes seem more forgiving in the 3-d version too.

I really want to play the sequel for Gameboy but looking it up it seems NA shop dosn't have it. Is this correct? Seriously!?

WTF

Yeah it's a little bit more forgiving, but understandable with how UNFORGIVING the original was.

scoot3r

Well got home with it this afternoon, my first impressions.

-controls are uncomfortable but manageable
-air combat is amazing
-good graphics, dialog in the background is distracting

daffy

Banned
The controls are really, really being blown out of proportion. I can understand the issues people are having, but they're absolutely not worth the "MAN FUCK THIS STUPID GAME" response some people seem to be having. They're weird and unconventional, and they can be a bit uncomfortable at times, but you'll learn the controls and find a way to hold the system that minimizes any discomfort if you just play for a bit.
Wierd, unconventional, and uncomfortable controls are perfect reasons to say this game sucks. I don't know why we can't just accept this game has a glaring flaw. If you can manage it ok, some people can't. Most people aren't going to sit around and wait for the controls to click with all the game we have on the market. They aren't being blown out at all.

SmithnCo

WTF

Yeah, it definitely seemed easier. The changes they made are nice though.

Really I think most people are put off by the first three stages in that game, once you get the first real powerup it gets easier. NA really needs to get the GB game up there too, little surprised they didn't do that as part of the marketing for the 3DS game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wierd, unconventional, and uncomfortable controls are perfect reasons to say this game sucks. I don't know why we can't just accept this game has a glaring flaw. If you can manage it ok, some people can't. Most people aren't going to sit around and wait for the controls to click with all the game we have on the market. They aren't being blown out at all.

3DS has a ton of high quality games on the market? I can only really think of like maybe 3 or 4 not counting e-store titles

Chesskid1

Banned
amazon will give you a full refund even if it's opened, i emailed them and said the controls were horrible and they offered.

i considered returning mine because i hate the controls, then again i'm mostly a PC gamer so i'm used to super accurate mouse. gonna just muscle through it and force myself, and i will eventually get a CPP as well when its available (prolly when resident evil is $30). keep in mind i'm left handed.

there's jus too much value for $30, the stand, the 3d classic game, 50 nintendo points, AR cards, and i can tell they put much love into this game. ill prolly return it if it was still $40 tbh.

gonna give it a few more hours today. the game is so amazing just seeing all the levels, unlockables, love they put into the game but all i can think about is how perfect this game could of been with proper controls.

if the controls click for you, congrats. i'm really jealous. :<

BD1

Banned
Is this game worth getting a 3DS for? It may be the deciding factor for me.............

BTW, I also want Super Mario 3D land and Mario Kart 5. Is it time to buy a 3DS for me?

YES! Those three games are worth owning the system for, and Resident Evil, Zelda:OoT 3D, MGS 3D: Snake Eater are all great games on the system. Also factor in that there is an apparently endless pipeline of 3DS games coming.

Plus, I believe there is a Target deal this week: 3DS for $149.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This game is 3DS. 3DS is this game.
It reminds me of Ouendan for this signature print it leaves on the console.

Kid Icarus was made for me <3

KevinCow

Banned
More content does not equate to more replayability if it isnt enjoyable. 13 years later and many still play star fox 64. In the end, a fun game is a fun game is a fun game...

I'm not saying Star Fox and Sin & Punishment aren't good games, or that short games can't be good. Just that Kid Icarus does some really similar things, but adds a whole lot. It's just got more content, and the loot system, achievements, and trophies give you better reasons to replay that content than high scores. While Star Fox and Sin & Punishment felt like arcade games that just happened to be made for home consoles, Kid Icarus feels like a true feature-packed home release.

WTF

I played through the first couple levels. I wasn't sure if they'd changed stuff or if I'd just gotten better at the game, but I was able to beat the first level and almost the second without dying. Literally, the end door was within sight, and then those stupid things came from the bottom and killed me.

But yes, the backgrounds are fantastic. Way better than the solid color backgrounds in the original. Seeing all the new backgrounds is pretty much my primary motivation for playing through the game.

Top Bottom