• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

100 hearts... times 200... damn that's a lot of hearts (if you do get 100 for each scan). Should help with buying weapons.

some of the best weapons that show up in the shop are over 100,000 hearts so getting 20,000 hearts is still far away from my goal

after 17 hours I only gained 53,000 hearts I spent them all too

too bad I cannot get online

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
The controls are really, really being blown out of proportion. I can understand the issues people are having, but they're absolutely not worth the "MAN FUCK THIS STUPID GAME" response some people seem to be having. They're weird and unconventional, and they can be a bit uncomfortable at times, but you'll learn the controls and find a way to hold the system that minimizes any discomfort if you just play for a bit.
I think it's a legitimate complaint - The controls are by no means perfect, I personally don't have a problem with them but I can see why many people would. I can't really imagine being able to play the game comfortably if I was left handed (I'd want to use the touch screen).

NeoRausch

some of the best weapons that show up in the shop are over 100,000 hearts so getting 20,000 hearts is still far away from my goal

after 17 hours I only gained 53,000 hearts I spent them all too

too bad I cannot get online

ihope you gifted them all to our goddess Palutena! 'cause we all need to know what will happen....or what's under her skirt!

daffy

Banned
How can you compare a handheld game to all the games in general? Even if you say that, I don't see any game like this.

Uhhh , I walk into a store and buy this just like a buy other games. I'm not sure what you're talking about. these controls are universally bad, I didn't go "oh its on 3DS, bless its heart" when I struggled with them.

branny

I think this game has replaced Phantom Dust as my "3D arena battle" game of choice. I don't care for Gundam, and even Duodecim starts feeling repetitive after a while. I honestly don't know if Anarchy Reigns can top this, but it's exciting to be getting games like these when they were once so few and far between.

I can't even think of that many beyond, like, Power Stone. I had to look a lot of these up. Poy Poy? Destrega? Spawn: In the Demon's Hand? Kung Fu Chaos? It's so hard to classify these. The Power Stone example just bothers me even more because Power Stone 1 and 2 are totally different. The original Power Stone opens things up for other games like Ergheiz, Virtual On, Psychic Force, Senko no Ronde, and Castlevania Judgment that I'd personally consider closer to fighting games. And other stuff like Heavy Metal: Geomatrix and Outtrigger are probably closer to shooters than anything else. Can "multiplayer mayhem" be a genre? We have so many online shooters these days that have evolved into their own thing. I can logically think of their components as similar in quite a few ways, but they don't feel like they're in the same category at all.

Everything else I can think of takes place on a 2D plane (which is negligible because it'd be crushed by Smash Bros.). But then there's that whole argument with those who consider Melee to be in the same category as more conventional fighting games while MvC3 comes out with mechanics that make it often resemble a party game compared to MvC2. My head hurts. What was I doing again?

Oh, right. I like this more than Phantom Dust. Yay.

KevinCow

Banned
Wierd, unconventional, and uncomfortable controls are perfect reasons to say this game sucks. I don't know why we can't just accept this game has a glaring flaw. If you can manage it ok, some people can't. Most people aren't going to sit around and wait for the controls to click with all the game we have on the market. They aren't being blown out at all.

I don't think it's a glaring flaw at all. Halo's dual analog controls were weird and unconventional in 2001, the controls in Smash Bros. were weird and unconventional in 1999 (still are pretty weird and unconventional, really), hell, the entire concept of a gamepad was weird and unconventional when the NES came out in 1985.

Sometimes you have to learn a new control scheme for a new game. Somewhere along the line, gamers apparently forgot what this was like and started declaring that all control schemes they didn't immediately understand upon pressing Start were broken and terrible.

The discomfort can be an issue, but not nearly enough to say the game sucks. The way some people are screaming about the discomfort, you'd think the system made their fucking hands fall off.

Jintor

I just think locking camera control and aiming to the same thing is a bad idea. I admittedly can't think of a better way to do it though. It's why I like the flying sections so much: Palutena takes care of all that shit for me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've been using a Skyscraper Club with petrifaction ability online. It's so incredibly effective in Light vs Dark, when you have to stop Pit and it keeps petrifying him. I guess using a Club leaves you open to some quicker ranged attacking, but I find it all too handy.

tassletine

Wierd, unconventional, and uncomfortable controls are perfect reasons to say this game sucks. I don't know why we can't just accept this game has a glaring flaw. If you can manage it ok, some people can't. Most people aren't going to sit around and wait for the controls to click with all the game we have on the market. They aren't being blown out at all.

Thanks for speaking on behalf of most people, I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

The controls MAKE this game. It's one of those titles where mastery of the control system is deliberately made part of the challenge. It just wouldn't be the same experience as a twin stick shooter.

daffy

Banned
I don't think it's a glaring flaw at all. Halo's dual analog controls were weird and unconventional in 2001, the controls in Smash Bros. were weird and unconventional in 1999 (still are pretty weird and unconventional, really), hell, the entire concept of a gamepad was weird and unconventional when the NES came out in 1985.

Sometimes you have to learn a new control scheme for a new game. Somewhere along the line, gamers apparently forgot what this was like and started declaring that all control schemes they didn't immediately understand upon pressing Start were broken and terrible.

The discomfort can be an issue, but not nearly enough to say the game sucks. The way some people are screaming about the discomfort, you'd think the system made their fucking hands fall off.
Yeah, gaming has become more and more accessible over the years. Controls shouldn't be a barrier to entry in 2012. So when something like this pops up it's going to get complaints. If gaming wanted people to get used to it, it should've just stayed home and not went to college because its going to be judged.

its a deal breaker to some and to others like you and me, not. I can dig that, in fact I just played Yakuza Dead Souls and saw that while I disliked the controls and found them game breaking, others found it ok. Flaws can exist like this and its not the gamer's fault.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just played up to Chapter 5 and I am finding it almost impossible to play without the included stand(at least with the difficulty beyond easy). Way too uncomfortable having to manage character control, shooting, and 3DS balance all with the left hand. Really hard to maintain the 3D effect as well without stability. Even under ideal conditions, this thing looks so silly sitting on a desk propped up to play. Clearly this was the wrong platform if I feel obligated to hunch over my desk to play this.

It's a neat game, but I hate the land portions for the control reasons. Enemies regularly spawn on top of me, and I am swiveling the camera to see what is happening more than actively engaging the cool dodge-shoot maneuvers. Almost the entirety of Level 4 was spent mashing away the melee button as Reapers, and whatever was in those pits kept crowding my screen, hitting me from behind, sideways, etc... Just utter chaos and the swivel function/dodge just isn't quite precise enough to keep the action framed accurately. I didn't have as much issue on the previous levels, but level 4 drove me crazy.

I'll keep practicing, but I am finding that part of the game infuriating for now.

Brandon F

The controls MAKE this game. It's one of those titles where mastery of the control system is deliberately made part of the challenge. It just wouldn't be the same experience as a twin stick shooter.

Oh please, the stylus is serving in place of a second stick. There is absolutely nothing unique or engaging about what stylus aiming is delivering against a proper two-stick setup.

daffy

Banned

Why are you being snippy. A large number of people are complaining about the controls. People like accessibility and the controls are not. I'm just saying thats perfectly normal to write a game off because of it. Its a valid complaint and not being blown out of proportion. I'm not sure it was deliberate to be uncomfortable, unless you have a quote where they said so. If not, thanks speaking for the development team.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I shall now fix the stylus controls for everyone having issues with them.

OKAY FIRST GO TO OPTIONS!

NEXT STEP CLICK ON CONTROLS

NOW CHOOSE THE RETICLE / CAMERA OPTION

Now for Air Battle

Slide the bottom bar all the way to the second to last white line on the left under the P on "stop quickly"

For the cursor aka the top bar slide it all the way to the right.

Now for Ground Battle

Slide the bottom bar to the second to last white line on stop slowly, this makes it so you don't have to flick much and have much greater control over the camera. Unless you want to do a hard 180 then you flick hard, this lets you control your turning more easy.

Next change your Horizontal aiming to just above the O in slow, you actually don't use the full screen to aim in this mode, the cursor is boxed in a invisible bounding box this lets you control the small area you are in better.

Next change your vertical aim to max speed. Shit likes to come at you from above, the vertical aim box on this is actually bigger than the horizontal, so not having to move much to cover more space is a great thing.

Try this out for about 10 minutes in training or act 1 or 2 and get back to me with how you guys feel now.

Is this game worth getting a 3DS for? It may be the deciding factor for me.............

BTW, I also want Super Mario 3D land and Mario Kart 5. Is it time to buy a 3DS for me?

I bought a 3DS w/KI today. If this game wasn't out right now, I probably would have waited till after E3 to get one. Played around 30 minutes of KI and it's amazing. Between reading reviews and reading this thread, I got too hyped and had to purchase it and I don't regret it one bit.

So to answer your question, YES! It's worth getting a 3DS for.

Starting tomorrow, Target has the 3DS for $145 (i think) along with B2G1 free. I think tomorrow will be the perfect time to pick one up.

Teknoman

I dunno, maybe its because I have smaller hands or something...but i'm good sitting stationary, 3DS in one hand stylus in the other. Alot of the times on ground missions, you dont really have to be moving constantly, just dodge attacks instead of dashing everywhere.

Brandon F

Now for Air Battle

Slide the bottom bar all the way to the second to last white line on the left under the P on "stop quickly"

For the cursor aka the top bar slide it alllll the way to the right.

Now for Ground Battle

Slide the bottom bar to the second to last white line on stop slowly, this makes it so you dont have to flick really and can just gently move the stylus and lift your hand up to turn. Unless you want to do a hard 180 then you flick hard, this lets you control your turning more easy.

Next change your Horizontal aiming to just above the O in slow, you actually dont use the full screen to aim in this mode, the cursor is boxed in a invisible bounding box this lets you control the small area you are in better.

Next change your vertical aim to max speed. Shit likes to come at you from above, the vertical aim box on this is actually bigger than the horizontal, so not having to move much to cover more space is a great thing.

Try this out for about 10 minutes in training or act 1 or 2 and get back to me with how you guys feel now.

I'll try this. Anything to help manage the awful camera sliding would be a help.

Jintor

I dunno, maybe its because I have smaller hands or something...but i'm good sitting stationary, 3DS in one hand stylus in the other. Alot of the times on ground missions, you dont really have to be moving constantly, just dodge attacks instead of dashing everywhere.

Once you realise that you don't necessarily need to be constantly moving the game gets a bit easier.

For you? Maybe. For others? Apparently it totally is.

It's a legit complaint, and like some of the others it doesn't really effect me, but I understand that it is a pain in the ass for some.

Codeblue

This game is 3DS. 3DS is this game.
It reminds me of Ouendan for this signature print it leaves on the console.

Kid Icarus was made for me <3
That's a really good way of putting it. I'm totally getting the same "ok, this is what this system is about" vibe I got from EBA.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just cranked all the bars to max.

o_O this really fucks with the turning though if you have horizontal on high and turning on slow you'll spin around like crazy

Oh and how to play melee characters in pvp =

DONT HOLD A DIRECTION EVER IF SOMEONE HAS YOU IN THEIR SIGHTS MASH THE FUCKING STICK LITERALLY PRETEND YOU ARE FUCKING WAVE DASHING IN SMASH BROS CLICKY CLACK

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Now for Air Battle

Now for Ground Battle

Slide the bottom bar to the second to last white line on stop slowly, this makes it so you don't have to flick much and have much greater control over the camera. Unless you want to do a hard 180 then you flick hard, this lets you control your turning more easy.

Next change your Horizontal aiming to just above the O in slow, you actually don't use the full screen to aim in this mode, the cursor is boxed in a invisible bounding box this lets you control the small area you are in better.

I'm going to try this too and see if how it works.

My own impression on the controls so far is, I actually am starting to like the idea, and I fully appreciate why they did it the way they did.

The objective problem is what I also mentioned before, that being the "crab hand cramps" from playing any DS form factor system that uses stylus for mouselook. There's no way around it, that isn't comfortable for everyone.

On the other hand, I do think the biggest barrier a lot of people are going to have with this game is trying to force f**k it to play like a twin stick 3rd person shooter. It isn't... trust in the design and AI of the enemies, treat it like Panzer Dragoon on the ground. You're not supposed to be constantly circle strafing every enemy, and moving the camera manually every moment.

As I settle in to the way the game is meant to flow, I do think it's awesome.

branny

I definitely believe learning curve and accessibility are not the same thing as broken controls. You have games like the ones KevinCow mentioned that required some getting used to but ended up working out (and, in some cases, completely revolutionized things). GunValkyrie and Steel Battalion also come to mind.

This whole kerfuffle is akin to something like Monster Hunter where the controls take some getting used to but ultimately work as they should. MH is a great series, but many people don't bother with it. Interestingly, "the claw" can also be mentioned. Playing MH with a right analog stick or the new 3DS targeting method is more comfortable but doesn't drastically change what's already in the game. Instead, stuff like that helps reduce the barrier of entry while also making it a little easier on existing fans.

Going back to the "lefty who tries to play Wii games" argument, I can recognize the quality of quite a few games--I just can't say they are bad simply because they aren't suited for my needs. It's a slippery slope (a quadriplegic person condemning every video game, etc.). There are hurdles that some people have to overcome to enjoy this medium, whether it be a minor acclimation period or severe personal handicap.

Many games on the market right now are totally off-limits to those who simply don't have the manual dexterity or time investment demanded of them. A lot of people hate fighting games for this reason. And a lot of fighting game fans are only fans of "easier" fighting games. Beyond that, many non-gamers are overwhelmed the second they even pick up a controller, something that's become second nature to most of us.

Broken controls would be like...unresponsive inputs. A faulty button on your controller or handheld device must be fixed. If a game doesn't reliably read your inputs, it is broken. The same can be said for finicky motion controls.

Is anyone else completely weak-sauce at this game?

Not talking about the control but the actual game...

I hear everyone talking about play on aggression levels 5-7..when I can't even beat level 3...

I always get knocked back down to 2.5

For my ego's sake I'm blaming the controls..

yeah

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Reposting for new page

Now for Air Battle

Now for Ground Battle

Hale-XF11

Man, the Aether Ring vehicle is so bad ass. More levels should take advantage of it. It feels great to ride around in, plus it's easy to aim and shoot at everything.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh please, the stylus is serving in place of a second stick. There is absolutely nothing unique or engaging about what stylus aiming is delivering against a proper two-stick setup.

But with the stylus control I can turn around very quickly, then do some quick and precise aiming without the need for any auto aim at all. With the sticks turning around can be pretty slow. With this I can start the spin, and once i see the direction I need to face i put my stylus back down and I am immediately aiming and shooting. The stylus light gun parts is what makes this game so fun and interesting, and the way they do turning is a great way to allow quick turning

Its not like dual joysticks controls are super intuitive or easy to use either. Have you ever tried giving a non gamer a dual joystick TPS or FPS? It takes them hours before they can stop running into walls or looking at the ceiling or floor. In fact I'd say this is easier then dual joysticks for people like that since it is literally point and shot with the one exception of the flick and tap turning.

I mean seriously you guys can't understand a freaking flick and tap?

Just played up to Chapter 5 and I am finding it almost impossible to play without the included stand(at least with the difficulty beyond easy). Way too uncomfortable having to manage character control, shooting, and 3DS balance all with the left hand. Really hard to maintain the 3D effect as well without stability. Even under ideal conditions, this thing looks so silly sitting on a desk propped up to play. Clearly this was the wrong platform if I feel obligated to hunch over my desk to play this.

It's a neat game, but I hate the land portions for the control reasons. Enemies regularly spawn on top of me, and I am swiveling the camera to see what is happening more than actively engaging the cool dodge-shoot maneuvers. Almost the entirety of Level 4 was spent mashing away the melee button as Reapers, and whatever was in those pits kept crowding my screen, hitting me from behind, sideways, etc... Just utter chaos and the swivel function/dodge just isn't quite precise enough to keep the action framed accurately. I didn't have as much issue on the previous levels, but level 4 drove me crazy.

I'll keep practicing, but I am finding that part of the game infuriating for now.
Stand is cool but I have no problem playing without. Beat chapter 1 and 2 on intensity level 8 without the stand for the record (eagerly awaiting the level 9 playthroughs of the quick look guys that claimed it was too easy). Just use your right hand to stabilize as well. You can use your pinky and just let it rest and not hold it up actively with your left hand. Not a native speaker I hope you understand what I mean.

And don't get caught by the reapers, you can avoid all of them
well with the exception of their boss of course
. Just look out for the laser.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just tried the stand for the first time. It makes things a little easier for me, but not much. But then again, I haven't had that much trouble with the controls in the first place.

Ok I don't get this game - do they really expect me to swipe to turn Kid and then get my finger back on a button to shoot? Please tell me I'm missing something cause that's dumb as hell. This games needs twin sticks.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ok I don't get this game - do they really expect me to swipe to turn Kid and then get my finger back on a button to shoot? Please tell me I'm missing something cause that's dumb as hell. This games needs twin sticks.

Left hand on the slide pad and L-shoulder button, right hand with the stylus on the touch screen.

Randdalf

I never had any trouble with Metroid Prime Hunters, so I don't expect I'll have trouble with this. That said, I do have my 3DS inside a case which makes the back thicker when I hold it.

o_O this really fucks with the turning though if you have horizontal on high and turning on slow you'll spin around like crazy

Oh and how to play melee characters in pvp =

DONT HOLD A DIRECTION EVER IF SOMEONE HAS YOU IN THEIR SIGHTS MASH THE FUCKING STICK LITERALLY PRETEND YOU ARE FUCKING WAVE DASHING IN SMASH BROS CLICKY CLACK

You really need to calm down the caps lock there, buddy.

I've donated 55 000 hearts to lady Palutena, but she's still so far away. Sooo far away...

Glad I picked this game up. So much packed into the $39.99 price tag. A really well put together package, and a super fun game, with addictive weapon customization.

Good to have a game to play in the 3DS, almost forgot about the bugger between my new console games and Vita. Big thumbs up to Ninty.

Oh and as for the controls, yeah I'm a lefty but so what, took me about 30 mins and I got used to it. Maxed out the sensitivity and bumped up the difficulty. Works great for me.

Top Bottom