• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Thoraxes

Got my Club Nintendo Cards in the mail today.

Got:

Palutena (Rare)
Great Reaper
Drill Arm

ZBSC3.jpg

Neiteio

But with the stylus control I can turn around very quickly, then do some quick and precise aiming without the need for any auto aim at all. With the sticks turning around can be pretty slow. With this I can start the spin, and once i see the direction I need to face i put my stylus back down and I am immediately aiming and shooting. The stylus light gun parts is what makes this game so fun and interesting, and the way they do turning is a great way to allow quick turning

Its not like dual joysticks controls are super intuitive or easy to use either. Have you ever tried giving a non gamer a dual joystick TPS or FPS? It takes them hours before they can stop running into walls or looking at the ceiling or floor. In fact I'd say this is easier then dual joysticks for people like that since it is literally point and shot with the one exception of the flick and tap turning.

I mean seriously you guys can't understand a freaking flick and tap?
This.

Neiteio

Oh FML.

What do non-gamers have anything to do with this? I, like many here, ARE gamers and DO find the stylus control hard to manage when we have no problem with sticks. What do non gamers have to do with anything?

I do not think in my time on message boards I've ever heard someone complain about dual stick controls and suggest stylus set up is easier. Wow. Nothing about that post was the least bit coherent or rational.

Wow.
In his defense, the controls are not only easier for casuals, but they allow the hardcore to pull off feats you couldn't hope to perform with dual-analog. It took me one chapter to adjust to the controls; now I'm going all Vanquish on everyone's ass in this game, hitting enemies all over the place in rapid succession with pinpoint accuracy, all while dodging their attacks. Maybe it's because I'm an action-holic (Bulletstorm was my GOTY 2011), but I took to this game rather effortlessly. If it helps, here's my setup:

- Default setup (circle pad to move, L to shoot, touchscreen to turn/aim)
- Maxed out vertical and horizontal aiming speed, in flight and on ground
- Maxed out reticule stopping speed, in flight and on ground

I simply hold the 3DS in my hand, which works great for having the 3D maxed out. The ground parts are actually my favorite. When you encounter an enemy, "smash attack" the circle pad to dodge in the direction of choice. I like to flick the screen to look in the enemy's direction at the same time. Then start pelting away, or wait a sec and try a dodge/charge shot combo -- damages the enemy while they fail to damage you! So awesome. :)

I've won all my multiplayer matches so far. Multiplayer is AMAZING. Truly like 3D Smash Bros.

Oh FML. So you're saying a non-gamer will have an easy time picking this up when we Gamers are having problems?

I do not think in my time on message boards I've ever heard someone complain about dual stick controls and suggest stylus set up is easier. Wow. Nothing about that post was the least bit coherent or rational.

Wow.

Not that I completely agree with him but what he meant by that (I think) is that just like dual joysticks, things weren't that easy when we first got them either and that just like a new gamer playing a dual stick game for teh first time, there is a learning curve.

Personally, teh controls are only a problem on the ground because of the camera control but like someone else said, you have to just stand your ground and stop trying to play it like gears or something...

still Dual analogs would have been nice but a lot of that has to do with us as Gamers being used to it..it's second nature to us. Someone else brought up fighting games. I cant use a fighting stick to save my life but to others it's second nature.

Maybe this will become second nature? I doubt it but we will see.

hatchx

Banned
But with the stylus control I can turn around very quickly, then do some quick and precise aiming without the need for any auto aim at all. With the sticks turning around can be pretty slow. With this I can start the spin, and once i see the direction I need to face i put my stylus back down and I am immediately aiming and shooting. The stylus light gun parts is what makes this game so fun and interesting, and the way they do turning is a great way to allow quick turning

Its not like dual joysticks controls are super intuitive or easy to use either. Have you ever tried giving a non gamer a dual joystick TPS or FPS? It takes them hours before they can stop running into walls or looking at the ceiling or floor. In fact I'd say this is easier then dual joysticks for people like that since it is literally point and shot with the one exception of the flick and tap turning.

I mean seriously you guys can't understand a freaking flick and tap?

I agree. The game does offer a dual analog setup of sorts (using the face buttons) and it does not work for the very reasons you stated. You need quick turns AND precision, and that's not really possible with Dual Stick.

It may be hard to take in or understand or even hold the system (without the damn grip I've been virally promoting this entire thread) but the controls presented are the ideal setup for this style of gameplay (with some sensitivity tweaking if need be).

massoluk

Banned
Oh FML. So you're saying a non-gamer will have an easy time picking this up when we Gamers are having problems?

I do not think in my time on message boards I've ever heard someone complain about dual stick controls and suggest stylus set up is easier. Wow. Nothing about that post was the least bit coherent or rational. Somehow, you've made a discovery that negates millions of gamers who have zerro problems using two sticks.

Wow.

There are plenty of pc game players that dismissed fps games on the consoles because they don't want to waste time adjusting to the dual analog set up. I think this is exactly the case here. Once you got used to the control, the reflex it allows may even be on par with mouse (handcramping aside)

Neiteio

I don't even notice myself flicking the screen. Like I said, after one mission it's completely intuitive, and I'm amazed at how incredibly exhilirating the ground missions can be with combat coming from all directions and being able to deftly sidestep incoming fire while returning shots of my own. But I understand everyone's different. Many people can play 2D Mario but not 3D Mario, for example.

The one thing that wasn't immediately intuitive was the Exo Tank, but now I understand it: all turning in the tank is done with the touchscreen, while the circle pad simply acts as an accelerator.

Also, I foresee Phospora Rule 34 in the near future.

KevinCow

Banned
Oh FML.

What do non-gamers have anything to do with this? I, like many here, ARE gamers and DO find the stylus control hard to manage when we have no problem with sticks. What do non gamers have to do with anything?

Wow.

He didn't say any of that. His point is, dual analog has a learning curve too. I'm pretty sure you weren't whipping out no scope headshots while flying through the air the first time you played Halo.

I know the first time I played Halo, I refused to change from what I'd learned on the N64. I used the control scheme that had strafe and vertical look on the right stick and forward/backward and turning on the left stick. I had a lot of trouble with the game because it wasn't designed around that control scheme with massive amounts of auto-aim like Goldeneye was. When I finally gave in and changed to the default control scheme, I struggled for a while to not constantly look at the floor or ceiling much less even hit anything. But I adjusted and learned to do it right, and it was for the better.

I just don't understand why a certain segment of gamers these days would rather outright declare a control scheme broken than even try to learn a control scheme that's different from what they're used to.

The problem is that there aren't enough control options. It's as simple as that. It's reminding me of fuss around Killzone 2's poor controls, except Kid Icarus is a better game that could seriously only benefit from better controls.

My preference would've been a locked cursor or reduced bounding box for it to control like Metroid Prime Hunters, Moon, and other DS/iphone shooters. Those games controlled great, albeit uncomfortably, but allowed for great precision and speed. The people who want to play with default swipe-to-turn controls could still play with them, just like the people who would want dual analog.

I actually tried playing with the original DS' thumb stylus. It doesn't really work since you need to cover the entire screen and making swiping motions, where in Metroid Prime Hunters you only needed to use the right half of the touch screen.

And the other option I'd like is d-pad movement. I feel like double tapping would be a more accurate way to dodge and I tested it out with the ABXY scheme, but can't wrap my head around mirrored controls.

massoluk

Banned
Was talking about the general gaming population. Hell even if Nintendo thought it would, why haven;t we seen the scheme replicated? :(

I'm curious to see how this game does in long haul because I'm afraid it's longevity may correlate with a niche group of gamers who have the patience to adjust to the scheme here.

I could be wrong.

Could have sworn Call of Duty DS was one of the more popular DS series.

zroid

Banned
I just finished ME3 and I'm pretty excited to properly perk myself up with some KI:U. Played about an hour last night because I couldn't resist, and my body is so ready.

KevinCow

Banned
Was talking about the general gaming population. Hell even if Nintendo thought it would, why haven;t we seen the scheme replicated? :(

Metroid Prime Hunters? Pretty much every FPS on the DS used that control scheme. Granted, it wasn't exactly the hottest genre on the system, but there were the Call of Duties and Renegade Kid's games, Dementium and Moon.

muu

more bickering about the controls? For fuck's sake, a lot of us that weren't raised on console shooters had to force ourselves to use dual analog since the consoles obviously don't come with m+kb controls standard. Took me a good long time before I felt fine with that gimped setup, and if proper triggers like 360's isn't involved I'd rather have the more accurate stylus controls any day.

Wonder where the weapon balance will end up once people start realizing they shouldn't be handling 250 value weaps on LvsD. I'm cleaning up with a 158 Babel Club which hits hard and also allows me plenty of breathing room to dive in head-first into combat, and spam skills accordingly. Of course, it looks like I'm still being too cautious since half the time teammates w/ their uber 300 weaps keep doing nothing and dying 5 times while I'm on my first or second.

zroid

Banned
more bickering about the controls? For fuck's sake, a lot of us that weren't raised on console shooters had to force ourselves to use dual analog since the consoles obviously don't come with m+kb controls standard. Took me a good long time before I felt fine with that gimped setup, and if proper triggers like 360's isn't involved I'd rather have the more accurate stylus controls any day.

the weird thing for me is that I actually prefer dual analogue controls to m+kb because it's disempowering to a degree. Firing a gun always seemed unrealistically straightforward when you have a mouse in-hand.

The thing I *like* about KI:U's controls is how it manages to disempower you by introducing a brand new scheme that has a tricky learning curve, but simultaneously have an incredibly high skill threshold. best of both worlds, in a way.

KevinCow

Banned
The music in this game is amazing. I know it's already been said a bunch, but I don't think it can be said enough. It's way better than I expected. A surprising amount of variety, too, not just orchestral versions of the original Kid Icarus music.

GameE

I preordered online on Best Buy but I dont think I got a 3D Classics Kid Icarus code, Im not happy. I preordered in February.

Kunan

Reposting for new page
Thanks it helped alot! I was already doin pretty good but this made it excellent! Ground controls are practically second nature for me already. I'm actually really enjoying them now that I'm not falling off ledges and making shitty turns.

I just finished chapter 5, Pandora, and wow did the game leap forward in sheer variety and the greatness of the land missions. Also, the banter is getting better and better :D

I preordered online on Best Buy but I dont think I got a 3D Classics Kid Icarus code, Im not happy. I preordered in February.

you should of def got that code, and if your a fan of the OG you def want this. Check your receipt, mines from gamestop and had it there...if not start ringing bells

hahaha, this game is amazingly LONG
Im in Chapter
and i dont even know if im starting to see the end, there has been so many plotwist by now that the game could be infinte, hahaha.
10 hours of singleplayer marks my clock, and thats without repeating any stage (and I want to do it a lot, but Im going to finish the game first).
The only thing I want as a surprise before the story ends is (do not read if you are not very far into the game)
seeing Medusa again (the resurrection of sexy Pandora was awesome lol)

The visuals and scopes of some of this stages have been incredible. Has to be one of the most epic games nintendo has ever done, some scenes are just breathtaking, and the best of all, it always tries to be tone in cheek, even if something serious happens. The dialogs are just so much fun and the characters are amazing with some great surprises.

And the music is just soooo good, just listening to some in the menu right now.
I even like the ground controls now (270 power tiger claws FTW!) and even find them easier sometimes than the flying sections at higher difficulties (probably because the flying sections have non stop action and im tying to hear and read the story at the same time), the only stage I found really difficult and not fun at all was
the last aurum one
Sakurai and his team has crafted a little masterpiece.

schlew

Not sure if it's been found out or if anyone even cares, but I found that when using the CPP (lefty mode), I can more the fire button to the ZR button. I found using the R button to be a tiny bit uncomfortable, and found out (by accident) that if I move Attack to the L button, for whatever reason, it works on ZR as well. Awesome.

FLAguy954

Oh please, the stylus is serving in place of a second stick. There is absolutely nothing unique or engaging about what stylus aiming is delivering against a proper two-stick setup.

You are wrong. The only advantage a second stick has over the touchscreen is comfortability and familiarity (although this can be subjective). It is inferior to the touchscreen in actual camera control because the touch screen provides DIRECT cursor manipulation. An analog stick provides manipulation along the x and y axes, making control INDIRECT and inherently inaccurate (this is actually objective).

GameE

you should of def got that code, and if your a fan of the OG you def want this. Check your receipt, mines from gamestop and had it there...if not start ringing bells

I checked everything and didnt see it. I already sent in a email to Best Buy about the price drop (before the game came today, no response), now Im gonna have to send in another one. Im really annoyed since I wouldnt have preordered if I wasnt going to get the 3D Classics game, and I could have got it at $29.99 instead of $39.99. >_>

I checked everything and didnt see it. I already sent in a email to Best Buy about the price drop (before the game came today, no response), now Im gonna have to send in another one. Im really annoyed since I wouldnt have preordered if I wasnt going to get the 3D Classics game, and I could have got it at $29.99 instead of $39.99. >_>

Fight to the end for that!! I loved the original and the 3d is done so perfectly no fan should be without this

Top Bottom