• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

LordCanti

She should come out and somehow still be basically
shibari'd in her Nudist Beach outfit, which obviously Gama-chan is into.

Actually, no, she should
put Senketsu-chan on and become the one true protagonist.

Contrary to what you heard elsewhere and are parroting here, nudity and/or sexuality in animated media does not immediately equate to "fanservice."It's annoying that often people have no issues with similar depictions in live action, but as soon as it's animated or drawn it's creep, perverted, or fan service. If you've been paying any attention at all, you can clearly see that Ragyo is not a normal or even sane person, let alone mother. Also, she appears to be priming Satsuki's body for something, possibly bonding her with fibers like Ryuko.

While Kill la Kill does not skimp on things that are blatant fan service, the Ragyo/Satsuki dynamic has more to it.

It sure is an odd argument. People beating off to it doesn't necessarily make it fanservice, but I'm not going to argue about it.

Did you find it erotic?

WTH is with this defense?

Does no one here know anything about cinematography/ framing/ posing or are people acting as if the only way you can show molestation and sexual abuse is through the hentai route? It's fan service ... like everything else in the show. The mere fact that people here are trying to deny/ deflect this as a means of defending the anime is laughable.

Zaptruder

Banned

Does no one here know anything about cinematography/ framing/ posing or are people acting as if the only way you can show molestation and sexual abuse is through the hentai route? It's fan service ... like everything else in the show. The mere fact that people here are trying to deny/ deflect this as a means of defending the anime is laughable.

Care to respond to Veelk's rather excellently put argument?

I'd like to take a moment to play devils advocate here on the fanservice debate. First off, fanservice is a greatly misused word. It does not mean "tits and ass", it means servicing the fans. The most common way of doing this is T&A, but T&A is not automatically fanservice, and there can be fanservice without T&A. A lot of fans love Mako's 2 star uniform. If she gets it back, only for a minute or so, for little narrative reason, that would be pure, unadulterated, shameless service to the fans that wanted to see it again. Now, many people are arguing that what Ragyou is doing is for the purpose of getting the audience to hate her, but I don't think that's true, and it could also arguably be a way of fanservicing, though in a perplexingly negative way. Because the logic is that whatever is being done on screen when Ragyou is molesting Satsuki is for the fans sake, to make us feel a certain way. If this is the argument you are making, then maybe it can be called fanservice in a sense. However, the true test of the scenes worth is when you take the audience element out of it. What is happening then? Characterization and relationship dynamic. Those scenes reveal who Ragyou exactly is and how badly she hurt Satsuki. It shows us a different side of Satsuki, in a position that she can't just instantly overpower like she usually does. They give Satsuki all the more motivation and drive to do what she has done up until now and what she will do in the future. These scenes are not throw aways. They are vital to understanding the story, and if they serve a narrative purpose, they cannot be called fanservice, because it's not about the fans at that point, but whats happening to the characters.

That said...The fact is that these scenes are erotic. The shots linger on Satsuki's body longer and in more inappropriate places than they need to. This, I feel, is where the audience element should come into analysis, but not in a fanservicy way. It makes the audience feel disgusted, but not just with the character, but with themselves. Rape victims sometimes say that they feel arousal during their rape, as a pure physical reaction to the stimulation, which produces great shame on their part, as if they have somehow unwittingly become a willing participant due to that. The people criticising these scenes as fanservice seem to be saying that because so many Japanese anime shows have girls unwillingly getting nude for the audience as a means of arousal (including this show, at various points), they seem to be convinced these scenes are meant to evoke the same arousal without shame. The obvious tone of disapproval that the show generally evokes at these scenes suggests to me otherwise. What Ragyou is doing is obviously wrong and I don't think I've ever seen such visceral hatred in satsuki as we saw her when she stabbed her In the back. But the show isn't going to skim on the perversion here when it indulges the audience in so many other places. Tbh, the message seems to be saying to me "Look, T&A can be good fun and all, but we have to be mindful about how we do it, because it can be really fucked up as well." The only contradiction is that, especially early on in the show, there were lots of scene that basically had Ryuko being an unwilling participant in sexualizing situations. Not even fanservice, but like how Sengetsu forced himself on Ryuko the first time he got a drop of her blood. We never saw any T&A there, but he did literally force himself on her all the same, and that was played for comedy more than anything.

So while I think, if the message here is that 'fanserivce without the will of the participant is wrong', then it's not unthinkable why someone would come to the conclusion that the Ragyou scenes are trying to play to the audience, but only because of the shows earlier inconsistant tone with such a thing, rather than a problem with the scenes themselves, which do much more than mere fanservice does.

To paraphrase; Yes, you're supposed to get a chubby. Yes, it's supposed to feel wrong.

Somnid

There seems to be a hard contrast with the sparkles and nosebleeds from other parts of the show. I think you would need to make an argument of internal consistency to demonstrate this.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Man, why do movies always have to feature profanity, abuse, and murder? Can't they take a note from Disney and avoid such unsettling issues? Must we be exposed to it?

Look at Radio Flier. Horrible movie that should have been about handcarts!

Why don't you enlighten us on cinematography, framing, and posing then instead of snorting derisively.

If you don't have an actual counterargument, don't quote me

CorvoSol

Man, why do movies always have to feature profanity, abuse, and murder? Can't they take a note from Disney and avoid such unsettling issues? Must we be exposed to it?

Look at Radio Flier. Horrible movie that should have been about handcarts!

Now in fairness, Disney has had abusive and murderous villains, and Maleficent saying Hell cemented her as the most heinous of all Disney villains for all time.

Soriku

People probably consider the whole Ragyo and Satsuki thing fanservice because it's anime. If KLK was a live action movie or something, it'd just be considered creepy/weird. But no, since it's anime, it's obviously fanservice. Really dumb.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
People probably consider the whole Ragyo and Satsuki thing fanservice because it's anime. If KLK was a live action movie or something, it'd just be considered creepy/weird. But no, since it's anime, it's obviously fanservice. Really dumb.
And when people ask that they actually think about the matter they fall back on "OMG Y R U DEFENDING DIS?" as if it was all self-evident.

The anime is not using that scene to titillate people. It's using that scene to make us uncomfortable (which has been near universal) and to show that Ragyo is a Bad Mom.

Just because an anime or tv show or whatever has some nudity doesn't mean it is always fan service. This is one of those times. When the Major took on the tank in Ghost in the Shell and her limbs are ripped from her body while being topless, was that fan service? When Shinji jacked off to a comatose Asuka, was that fan service?

RE_Player

If you think the Ragyo and Satsuki scenes are blatant fan service I think that says more about you than the anime itself. It's supposed to be creepy as fuck not erotic. A mother who has abandoned humanity is feeling up and torturing her daughter. How could you be aroused by that? Gives me goosebumps thinking about it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
In other news, the Utena comparison lives!

Ryuko = Utena
Mako = Wakaba
Satsuki = Anthy
Ragyo = Akio
Matoi = The Prince
Senketsu = Rose Seal
Scissor Blade = Sword of Dios
Uzu = Touga
Ira = Saionji
Houka = Miki
Nonon = Juri

As for Nanami... Nui? That masked girl?

XAL

So question.

I've been looking for OST's for Gurren Lagann, Soul Eater, and Kill La Kill.

All the ones I've found lack intro and outro songs.

why?

Gazoinks

So question.

why?

Since they're not by the anime composer (usually), I think they're generally released as singles by the artists.

Guess Who

Banned
So question.

why?

Most anime OSTs don't include the openings or endings because those are usually licensed songs from major artists that are released as their own singles. They only include songs originally composed for the anime.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Most anime OSTs don't include the openings or endings because those are usually licensed songs from major artists that are released as their own singles. They only include songs originally composed for the anime.
Most OSTs these days, rather. In the past it was entirely standard to have full OP/EDs in the album.

XAL

iV7EQ9ICpv4Cg.gif

alt: http://i.minus.com/ihhyQWwASdz27.gif
alt2: http://i.minus.com/ibbUMkbZg96QUl.gif

"If I were twenty years younger, I'd wear you!" Hint, hint, Mako gonna wear Senketsu. Hint.

tumblr_n1e082ftIu1sqc5mxo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n1cyygCMIY1rgqghgo1_1280.png

sonicmj1

Ryuko = Utena
Mako = Wakaba
Satsuki = Anthy
Ragyo = Akio
Matoi = The Prince
Senketsu = Rose Seal
Uzu = Touga
Ira = Saionji
Houka = Miki
Nonon = Juri

Nanami is clearly Maiko, the head of trap development.

I'm so pissed she hasn't returned yet.

wonzo

Banned

Ryuko = Utena
Mako = Wakaba
Satsuki = Anthy
Ragyo = Akio
Matoi = The Prince
Senketsu = Rose Seal
Uzu = Touga
Ira = Saionji
Houka = Miki
Nonon = Juri

mako's family = chu-chu

Care to respond to Veelk's rather excellently put argument?

To paraphrase; Yes, you're supposed to get a chubby. Yes, it's supposed to feel wrong.

Nooo, cause it has nothing to do with what I'm talking bout (which is why I didn't quote that).

What I'm saying is ... girl simply being dragged away by a ropey sea-monster? Not Fan-service. Girl being dragged away by a sea-monster AND tied up by it to be presented in revealing and compromising poses as the cam slowly pans in just the right areas? Fan-service, it's deliberately trying to present this in an erotic fashion through the cam work and posing.

And I don't think I or most others "get a chubby" from looking at this as erotic fan-service nor do I think people "feel bad" about it. I think people would feel about as bad about seeing this as erotic fan-service as they would feel about sea-monsters groping up a MC and groping her TnA for a few moments. Mostly I just find it strange that they decided to go this route with erotic fan-service for a molestation family relationship.
Why don't you enlighten us on cinematography, framing, and posing then instead of snorting derisively.

If you don't have an actual counterargument, don't quote me
Wellll I actually did this very thing when I tried to shut down this strange convo a week ago. But for your pleasure I will grab examples.
Roger from American Dad. There's no question that he's a messed up dude and a sexual offender and in no way a "good person" most all the time. But they show his sexual assaults with humor. (those are just 2 examples, the show has tons of them)

An example of straight up disturbing depictions of sexual assault with no humor or erotic showings? Now and Then, Here and there (Cause fuck it, for the most part it's a interesting dark anime but I'm sure most here will never watch it if they haven't already)

Compare those to THIS scene ... with the smooth music, the slow pans, the framing of the body, the scenery, her pose being so open and blissful for someone who is apparently being molested by her own mother? Yeah, you shouldn't have to have a 4 year degree to see that that's purposely erotic. Show that to someone who doesn't know the show and it simply looks like a sensual lesbian hentai scene. They could show that Ragyo is "a bad mom" via sexual assault with humor (Roger) or with straight up raw depictions of what one would expect to see in a event like that (Now and then) but they went for erotic fan-service. It's jarringly different from what we expect to see ... hell, I would expect to see it played as humorist fan-service before that.

The anime is not using that scene to titillate people. It's using that scene to make us uncomfortable (which has been near universal) and to show that Ragyo is a Bad Mom.

Just because an anime or tv show or whatever has some nudity doesn't mean it is always fan service. This is one of those times. When the Major took on the tank in Ghost in the Shell and her limbs are ripped from her body while being topless, was that fan service? When Shinji jacked off to a comatose Asuka, was that fan service?

This has nothing to do with nudity. I would call the first on-screen groping fan-service to and that had no nudity. And I have no clue what those references are sooo yeah ...

And on a side note I think I see WHAT they're trying to do. They want Ragyo to show her power and control over her via molestation (bending her to her well with the invasion of personal space). That's why the first encounter we see is with clothes on and satsuki barely moving and the 2nd with them both nude and satsuki appearing to submit to her. But then, the first time we see finger grace vag, it's in a fight and satsuki gets her "Purity" taken away. Now she's chained up, nude and likely been Ragyo's play thing for a month. She can't be controlled by Ragyo anymore or at least doesn't want to keep up that appearance anymore and that's why she's completely unresponsive to being fingered and spanked by her own mother this ep.

That's how I saw it anyways ... still fucking strange that they went for straight erotic fan-service here.

Now and Then, Here and There is the last show to cite for anything done well.

Never said the show did anything well, just that that's a strong contrast because it neither tries to make rape erotic or funny ... it tries to make it look like a disturbing and scary event much like Btoom and many other animes I could cite. If they simply wanted to show a "uncomfortable" and disturbing event then they wouldn't make it erotic. Hell, I could think of tons of ways to frame the scene that doesn't involve slow pans of satsuki's body or any erotic tones yet would still invoke a sense of "This woman is FUCKED in the head!".

Jintor

I was thinking the point was to contrast it - or perhaps to perhaps emphasise it against - KLK's traditionally very pervy camera in battle scenes, etc. In the cheesecakey kind of show KLK is, the way Ragyo treats Satsuki is not terribly out of place, yet it still remains really quite disturbing. Interesting...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Black-Wind: Your remarks betray a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue. Not all rape and sexual assault is overtly violent. The comparison with the rape in NTHT doesn't apply because that was an acute event. The soldier had nothing to do with the girl and simply took her by force. What I said earlier was more appropriate. Satsuki is an oppressive environment. Her mother is in a twisted relationship with her and Satsuki doesn't want to deal with it, but what she wants does not factor into the picture. To physically struggle and fight back at that particular scene as you seem to want would go against her own larger goals for both victory and revenge. You make a false observation in that Satsuki was "blissful", where it was plainly apparent that she was merely bearing it. Your comparison with a sea monster also does not apply because such a case is a show going out of its way to make an event sexual, because the center of gravity of what goes on is skewed so that everything is tilted in that direction. That a mother casually abusing her daughter that she doesn't even consider family happened to take place on camera doesn't match this scenario. It's like how we see Anton Chigurh conduct a strangling kill entirely on camera in No Country For Old Men, yet we aren't supposed to take pleasure or enjoyment in the act.

Oh, and it's not your place to "shut down" discussion.

Zaptruder

Banned
Nooo, cause it has nothing to do with what I'm talking bout (which is why I didn't quote that).

You're talking about the inappropriateness of fan-service in those sexual molestation scenes.

His post was addressing why it wasn't fan service in the traditional sense AND why it has story telling merit to present those scenes in such a manner.

Seems like it was very much on point.

Your "this is self-evidently offensive" statement.

I still can't see what that has to do with book burnings.

In any case, I don't know why "this is self-evidently offensive" is in quotes when I never said that, or anything like that. My point was that this is a show which is absolutely full of fan service, yet people made excuses and explanations like comparisons to "Don Quixote". We have a previous fan service scene with the two in the bath. People don't seem to just accept that it is a fan service show, they seem to feel compelled to have to conjure up some deeper meanings out of the ether. Now we have another scene involving the two same characters, which is in the same light as the rest of the series. The same voyeuristic camera is here:

That said...The fact is that these scenes are erotic. The shots linger on Satsuki's body longer and in more inappropriate places than they need to.

For me this in the light of everything else in the show says that it is fanservice in a show full of fan service.

LeleSocho

Banned

You couldn't be more wrong, if something it seems more apparent that people is ready to defend anything because it's an Imaishi product an Imaishi stuff can be no wrong.
The key words here are context and target audience, what is the context of this anime? Very poorly dressed girls that kill eachother in the most insane ways where camera is often pointed at key parts of the human body. You want to put the story context of the mother/daughter relationship? no problem
What is the target audience? The target audience is people who likes anime (duh), people who like hot blooded action and people who probably likes to jack off to semi nude drawn girls. Now chances are that the last category doesn't care even in the minimal part on how wrong a situation is as long as he can jack it off to it and since these scenes are put there only for them i think it's safe to assume that those parts are there primarily for erotic purposes.
If they really wanted to show their relationship as primarily goal they would've been way less clear in the graphics. The whole Ragyo being bad is merely the pretext of her putting two fingers there into Satsuki,in this case it's the scene that drives the reasoning not viceversa.

Now this would be bad in an anime like it would be in a movie or in a book and there are tons of examples in those other media that shows these things just as much as there are in anime. The problem here sincerely isn't even that scenes like these happens because there's a sea of this trash and this would be no more than a teardrop, the problem in my humble opinion is that some of us didn't expect that this particular show would reach these kind of things.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I still can't see what that has to do with book burnings.

In any case, I don't know why "this is self-evidently offensive" is in quotes when I never said that, or anything like that. My point was that this is a show which is absolutely full of fan service, yet people made excuses and explanations like comparisons to "Don Quixote". We have a previous fan service scene with the two in the bath. People don't seem to just accept that it is a fan service show, they seem to feel compelled to have to conjure up some deeper meanings out of the ether. Now we have another scene involving the two same characters, which is in the same light as the rest of the series.
That's like saying a comedy can never have serious moments or aspects because it's a comedy, and because this is a conclusion taken a priori your agitation at it being argued shows you consider it self-evident.

A lot of fans love Mako's 2 star uniform. If she gets it back, only for a minute or so, for little narrative reason, that would be pure, unadulterated, shameless service to the fans that wanted to see it again.

What if... what if Mako gets a Nudist uniform inspired by her two-star goku uniform???
With black cap, spiked cuffs, bronze knuckles, geta and maybe a coat (if that's allowed)???
And a green reed in her mouth???
And a shitload of weapons???

I am a fan and I demand to be served!

Top Bottom