• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

FluxWaveZ

No one really believed that, it was just a hilariously stupid /a/ daily thread.

And I'm supposed to believe that if the ones saying that weren't believing it, those who were saying it was emblematic of all that was wrong with anime over the past decade were, for some reason?

Astarte

And I'm supposed to believe that if the ones saying that weren't believing it, those who were saying it was emblematic of all that was wrong with anime over the past decade were, for some reason?

Yep, totally. Everyone who has ever said that was never serious, I would know because I have personally talked to each person and have gone over to their homes to have dinner with them.
Really though, anime doesn't need saving. At all. KLK saving anime being perpetuated was just a circlejerk perpetuated by several people at /a/ that no one (should have) took(taken) seriously.

FluxWaveZ

Yep, totally. Everyone who has ever said that was never serious, I would know because I have personally talked to each person and have gone over to their homes to have dinner with them.
Really though, anime doesn't need saving. At all. KLK saving anime being perpetuated was just a circlejerk perpetuated by several people at /a/ that no one (should have) took(taken) seriously.

I'm just saying that there were both extremes in the matter, and that neither were right.

Astarte

I'm just saying that there were both extremes in the matter, and that neither were right.

Yes, and that makes for a hilarious trainwreck of emotions and opinions that creates front row seats to the greatest spectator sport: internet arguments.
On another note, will Rei ever be useful? I expected her to be something threatening, but she got absolutely bodied.

FluxWaveZ

It's a meme dating back to when Yamakan said Fractale would "save the anime industry" only to see it (rightfully) bomb like few things have ever bombed before.

Didn't know it was a well known meme until now. Guess that explains why I saw the same thing said for Space Dandy.

Uraizen

Banned
People said that? Pffffthahaha!

Yeah, just like people who said "Kill La Kill will save anime."

Eh, I think Kill la Kill is good, but I have considered dropping it once or twice. Until these unexpected twists happened, now I'm hooked. Fan service is nice, but it doesn't keep me watching. It just feels like it's there for entertainment, especially when the characters in the anime itself react to it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's a meme dating back to when Yamakan said Fractale would "save the anime industry" only to see it (rightfully) bomb like few things have ever bombed before.
Now it's a joke dynamic that alternates between the two extremes of "anime is dead" and "anime is saved (from being dead)".

And yeah, KLK is "fun but not stellar" for me. No better than B, and no worse than C.

It's an argument of intention. How well they went about it is another matter, and one I'm entirely willing to give on. What I'm arguing against is the kneejerk "oh why are they trying to titillate viewers by including that scene", and a bunch of other similar claims by people with limited experience in cinema.

How it was executed was always the better argument. It is plain as day that the scene was not meant to give viewers what they want and to please them. Just everything about it showed that Ragyo was the world's worst parent. But they could have done something else, or at least not be as explicit with it. However, they had purpose: make us feel uncomfortable and it worked on everyone here

Arondight

It's amazing how Ryuko lasted this long. Should have gotten rid of her a long time ago. Mako is a better heroine/protagonist. Give her a kamui and let her be the badass she was with the 2 star uniform.

I kind of like the sudden twist in which it fast forwards and Satsuki is captured and shows how much of a creep her mother really is.

*looks around* ... I like Kill la Kill.

Same here. There's definitely faults with it but it's a nice show to watch weekly.

NotLiquid

The Chans translated the preview it seems.

I thought that she only got up on the wrong side of the bed.
I believed that her terrible sullenness would disappear with time.
But Ryuko left.
Leaving even me behind, she set out all alone.
Wait, Ryuko!
If you don't put me on, I'm just a frilly little sailor uniform!
Before me, as I'm deeply saddened, Mikisugi Aikurou takes off his last underwear, claiming that it's humanity's last trump card!
Are you okay with that, humans?
Next time on Kill la Kill
"Far away from the crowd"

Evilisk

Mikisugi Aikurou takes off his last underwear

7drHiqr.gif

Lurking and watching these debates is funny since you can tell no one is really listening to anyone. 18 episodes and people on both sides still refuse to reach any sort of middle ground.

I don't really think there's "2 sides" going on NOW that have been around for the whole show so far. I'm sure we all love the show (Hell, I just designed a 3 Star Goku shirt just so that I could buy it for myself) but the divide in this fan-service debate is simply one side calling it what every single thing in the anime is (Fan-service) and the other side deflecting that because they put the show on a pedestal I guess.

It's really just that. Some people either think molestation can only be portrayed as a scene taken out of a hentai or they naively think that seeing the powerful, controlled, cool and stoic Satsuki turned into a submissive party in an erotic scene is only applying to some tiny nitch of mother/ daughter hentai watchers instead of just "fans who want to see Satsuki put in erotic and submissive scenes (people who like tentacle scenes don't like tentacle monsters, they like the erotic presentation of the victim ... the end result)" and since they didn't jerk to it then it's not fan-service to the tons of fans not them.

The only "uncomfortable" feeling I got was slight shock and lite annoyance that they decided to go this route and turn my favorite character into fan-service for those who enjoy erotic submissive imagery. But it's not a big deal to me, just thought it strange is all.

LordCanti

Someone used the Fractale word in here, I can feel it. A cold chill went up my spine, followed by a white hot rage.

The Chans translated the preview it seems.

Stupid Sexy Sensei is going to
"It's me Austin! It was me all along Austin!" Ragyo and reveal that he's their father, isn't he.

LeleSocho

Banned
What I'm arguing against is the kneejerk "oh why are they trying to titillate viewers by including that scene", and a bunch of other similar claims by people with limited experience in cinema.

Mind you explaining this? I don't want to argue anymore but just want to know more... even in pm if you desire.

LordCanti

We've known that Honnouji resembles a giant seifuku since the start of the series. If Satsuki was going to play that card, she'd have played it. It wouldn't make sense to hold it back considering the current circumstances.

I guess Aikuro could have designed it without her knowledge or something, but that's certainly not something that has ever been hinted at as far as I'm aware. When they talk about Honnouji, they always speak of it as if it was Satsuki's idea. If she had that card to play and didn't play it, they better have a damn good reason to justify it.

Evilisk

We've known that Honnouji resembles a giant seifuku since the start of the series. If Satsuki was going to play that card, she'd have played it. It wouldn't make sense to hold it back considering the current circumstances.

I guess Aikuro could have designed it without her knowledge or something, but that's certainly not something that has ever been hinted at as far as I'm aware. When they talk about Honnouji, they always speak of it as if it was Satsuki's idea. If she had that card to play and didn't play it, they better have a damn good reason to justify it.

Yeah this theory isn't anything new

That said, I thought it was really obvious that Ragyo and co. are in the process of turning Honnouji into a Giant Kamui as of last episode. I mean that's how I interpreted the part with the Sewing Club and the engravings on the ground, maybe I'm just reading into it wrong though

LordCanti

That said, I thought it was really obvious that Ragyo and co. are in the process of turning Honnouji into a Giant Kamui as of last episode. I mean that's how I interpreted the part with the Sewing Club and the engravings on the ground, maybe I'm just reading into it wrong though

To what end? Nudist Beach is
all but beaten and Satsuki's in a cage. Just to fight Ryuko? Ragyo doesn't have confidence that she can beat her without a gigantic life fiber being in tow? Covers is already underway and I'm not sure how a giant robo is going to speed the process along either.

I wouldn't put it past them though.

It looked more like a
giant Covers to me at first.

Evilisk

To what end? Nudist Beach is
all but beaten and Satsuki's in a cage. Just to fight Ryuko? Ragyo doesn't have confidence that she can beat her without a gigantic life fiber being in tow? Covers is already underway and I'm not sure how a giant robo is going to speed the process along either.

I wouldn't put it past them though.

I don't have a clue, I'm basically expecting them to do it because they can, not because there's any real reason they need to do it.

That's another problem with the term. What part of any show isn't for the fans benefit? Even if we are to believe my interpretation of how KLK is deconstructing fanservice with those scenes, they are still ultimately about educating the viewer into a more thoughtful mindset on the subject. The wire is meant to give the viewer a look into what its like living in the ghettos of baltimore, what it's politics are like, its police force... It's hard to think of a story of any kind that we can definitively say has no regard for its audience whatsoever. Taken broadly enough, it can make the term meaningless, which is why I dislike using it for the most part.

My opinion is that Trigger is purposefully trying to divide the audience and stir debate (as is happening in this thread). Shameless fan service? Clever deconstruction? Trigger is giving ammo to both camps!

On the one hand, Ryuko and Satsuki's outfits (and some of the "embarrasing" situations they're put in, such as Ryuko being whipped by BDSM Gamagori) would certainly not look out of place in your average sexist hentai flick were female characters are purely fap material.

On the other hand, Ryuko and Satsuki are true main characters, they have strong personalities and carry the plot on their shoulders as well as male characters do in other shows; the fact that they are female is secondary. Moreover, there's quite a lot of male nudity in this show, which offers an easy rebutal to potential accusations of sexism. Last but not least: the plot actually justifies the nudity (to some extent)!

You see what I mean? Ammo for both camps! A similar reasoning could be applied to the treatment of incest.
It's fan service... and it's not!

This show is the anime equivalent of this:

8UIbYUZ.gif

GAFer, chose your side! #TeamBugs or #TeamDaffy?

Trigger is trying to have its cake and eat it too (as Femmeworth wrote earlier)... and I think they're managing to do that pretty well! And as they do that, people are debating fiercely on the Web. No such thing as bad publicity!

As for your question, if mako just gets that for little narrative reason and it's really just to tickle the fan's fancy...it'd be wierd for Nudist Beach to have something like that, but they can easily throw something outthere to make it narratively justified. Whether it's fanservice depends on how much they justify it and how strict your definition of fanservice is.

It would totally be fan service by my standards. I still want it to happen though. After all, fan service is not inherently bad (and as you wrote, taken broadly enough, the term becomes meaningless).

TheOGB

Banned
I was on tumblr last night just before I fell asleep and I swear I saw a post about Kill la Kill coming to Toonami in the fall, but I'm increasingly starting to believe that was a dream. :/ Oh well...

Kill la Kill |OT| I'm not saying it's fanservice, but it's fanservice

XAL

Kill la Kill |OT| All Aboard the Makogoori Ship

Kill la Kill |OT| Clearly Fanservice

Kill la Kill |OT| Clearly Bad Touch

Kill la Kill |OT| Row Row Fight the Ragyo

Kill la Kill |OT| Broketsu Synchronize

Kill la Kill |OT| Shiny Piercing Naked Bits

Kill la Kill |OT| Trigger Me Timbers

Kill la Kill |OT| The Thirst is Real

TheOGB

Banned