• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Amikami

Banned
tumblr_n38z6sXlYE1qicltno1_1280.png
Jeez it's so obvious that Nonon is Haruko. Duuuh.

rakuga

Evilisk

The possibility of major re-write might also explain how Ryuko's character ended up so aimless/manipulated for much of the series.

The story being completely rewritten halfway through would certainly explain a lot. I wonder what led them to scrap their original story.

Either way this is far more fascinating than the actual story in the show.

Some people on /a/ are saying that according to some Newtype interviews, there was a rewrite, and the intial plot was scrapped after episode 12. I'm not sure if it's actually true though I do have link to a few interviews (I'm not sure if it's all of the interviews given the date of the post though)

Ferrio

Banned
Some people on /a/ are saying that according to some Newtype interviews, there was a rewrite, and the intial plot was scrapped after episode 12. I'm not sure if it's actually true though I do have link to a few interviews (I'm not sure if it's all of the interviews given the date of the post though)

Would confirm what I've been saying from the beginning. Don't blame them though, the story seemed very boring at the start, wasn't until the switch that stuff started to heat up.

Evilisk

Would confirm what I've been saying from the beginning. Don't blame them though, the story seemed very boring at the start, wasn't until the switch that stuff started to heat up.

I won't disagree with the first half being boring but, if this rewrite is true, I would easily have taken the old plot if it meant better fights (as opposed to all of the boring slappy fights we got in the last 3rd of the current show) and, Nui also had a more painful death.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if they will ever release what the original story was supposed to be. It seemed like it should have had a much more interesting plot, which simply got replaced by fan service.

TheOGB

Banned
"The drill in my heart won't spin with shit like this!"

I'm dying

Jex

Also, from the initial description of the show:

"-The academy is located in a post-apocalyptic setting inspired by the industrial revolution of the Meiji Era and the Tower of Babel."

???

I remember that idea! Apparently that's no longer the case though! That does explain why the academy, and everything surrounding it, looks like it takes place in it's own weird universe while the rest of the show is, apparently, just set in the real world.
I: Ryuuko and Satsuki are developed through their clashing. Initially, Ryuuko was a bit gloomy/introverted character, but we gave her a brighter personality because Satsuki is cool and hard as ice.
N: Both of them are main characters. Their universe has uniforms that match an individual's talents/skills and give them respective powers, and Satsuki is trying to rule the Academy with that uniform's power. Ryuuko resists this movement. It'll be a sculptured drama centered around both of them.
Once again, sounds like the idea was about the uniforms and how they reflect your personality/skills.

Also, from the Original Hype Thread:

-Honnouji is a gigant, city-like structure that exists for the sake of Honnouji Academy, which posseses the power of the Extreme Uniform.
-The entire city is ruled by the Student Council, located at the tower in the middle.
-All students stay in the town area; there is a luxury section for the talented students and a miserable slum area for the lacking students.
-The Extreme Uniform is one of the key elements of the story; it holds the power to trascend human limitations and change the world. It enhances the natural talents of the individual and grants them special abilities related to their skills, personalities and ambitions. The Student Council President, Satsuki, should be the only want with the authority to grant the power of the Extreme Uniform.
-The world itself is very wild and violent and fights break out constantly; society consists of a meritocracy enforced by fear and the Student Council; it’s a culture of might makes right and the strong rule over the weak is absolute.

You can see how most of these ideas just kind of got dropped or ignored as the show went along. If Kill la Kill is set in normal reality, as it appears to be, why did all these people at the start of the show live under the boot of Satsuki? Why do schools have so much power and their own armies? It makes sense in some kind of post-apocalypitic land torn apart by war in and battle, but what about when it gradually turns into the real world?

sonicmj1

I seem to remember that getting shot at one point, but he missed, but maybe i'm confusing it with something completely different.

When Ryuuko goes berserk, Aikuro lines up a shot on her, but he hesitates to pull the trigger and misses his opportunity. We never hear from that bullet ever again.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You can see how most of these ideas just kind of got dropped or ignored as the show went along. If Kill la Kill is set in normal reality, as it appears to be, why did all these people at the start of the show live under the boot of Satsuki? Why do schools have so much power and their own armies? It makes sense in some kind of post-apocalypitic land torn apart by war in and battle, but what about when it gradually turns into the real world?
We never really get a good glimpse of life outside of the schools and their immediate areas of influence, and the rival universities are almost as outlandish (if not as apparently oppressive). Never really seemed like a "real" world to me.

Kettch

A rewrite might explain why Sanageyama and "Let me give you two pieces of information" dude were basically thrown in the trash after their badass early episodes.

Jex

We never really get a good glimpse of life outside of the schools and their immediate areas of influence, and the rival universities are almost as outlandish (if not as apparently oppressive). Never really seemed like a "real" world to me.

The story, was originally pitched, was set in a post-apocalypse of some kind. This matches the look and feel of the early tone of the show, the setting, the art etc. We also know that its set on Earth somewhere along our future timeline (the reference to Hitler in episode 1). At some point in the history of the show Kill la Kill's timeline would have diverged from our own after some big event happened leading to the land ruled by the academies and uniforms. Yet that's literally never addressed in the show even though you'd imagine that how the world came to be in such a state would be kind of important. It's not addressed in the info dump in ep 12 either.

Moreover, the REVOCS brand appears to belong to a perfectly normal global corporation set in a perfectly normal world. They have a brand known and distributed around the planet. Whenever we see shots of people wearing the clothing in other countries they look pretty down to earth and normal, not like they're set in some kind of crazy war torn future! It just doesn't fit well with the early stuff and while, on it's own it's doesn't really 'prove' anything but when you take it into the wider context of the series it becomes clear that the originally story was changed quite drastically at some point.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Delicious denial.

Not sure why people think Mako would ask Ryouko to hang out, since she's literally always by her side anyway.
JH6FWQ5.jpg

The only one who is in DENIAL is YOU.

At the first scene we see Ryuuko waiting for Mako to arrive:

poJIEmx.jpg

When they meet up they have a friendly(not romantic!) embrace:

yCe6taO.jpg

The very next scene Mako is pushing Ryuuko up a hill to take her to Satsuki:

ZQN5h8J.jpg

Upon arrival they're both shocked to see she cut her hair:

M4qBHjU.jpg

DYuyg4W.jpg

t2iILBf.jpg

Cue girls-day out montage:

ZLy5BHb.jpg

Gamagoori waiting to confess:

yuH9A2V.jpg

Walking scene, Mako and Satsuki in front, Ryuuko in back if she wanted Mako wouldn't Satsuki be in the back?:

o5XC1sQ.jpg

Just admit it, you were SHIPPING the whole time.

KhxUZxf.jpg

Evilisk

A rewrite might explain why Sanageyama and "Let me give you two pieces of information" dude were basically thrown in the trash after their badass early episodes.

Only Tsumugu was really thrown into the trash

Sanageyama, besides the embarassing Nui defeat (which was entirely his own fault btw, even Satsuki warned him against it) didn't do a whole lot, yeah, but he didn't have the role of jobbing three episodes in a row unlike Tsumugu

If anything, Sanageyama's personality in the earlier episodes was weird. He's pretty supportive of his fellow sports clubs at first and shows a moderate amount of loyalty to Satsuki, and then it feels like he gets this blood knight attitude out of nowhere in episode 5 where he's even willing to go against Satsuki just to sate that.

Also, from the initial description of the show:

???

I remember that idea! Apparently that's no longer the case though! That does explain why the academy, and everything surrounding it, looks like it takes place in it's own weird universe while the rest of the show is, apparently, just set in the real world.

Once again, sounds like the idea was about the uniforms and how they reflect your personality/skills.

Also, from the Original Hype Thread:

I'm ashamed to admit I pretty much forgot about the post-apocalyptic setting, even though world building is one of the aspects I always look forward to in a show

Jarmel

Banned
The story being completely rewritten halfway through would certainly explain a lot. I wonder what led them to scrap their original story.

Either way this is far more fascinating than the actual story in the show.

Probably because the original story was more lowkey and it wasn't cutting it for Imaishi, who wanted to go balls to the walls.

The writing on the show has been a complete fucking disaster. Considering how much control Nakashima had, I can't imagine him screwing up this bad without somebody intervening heavily.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I caught up on everything late. I just watched the last 2/3rds of the show this weekend.

Plot-wise, I just think they had too many heroes and too few villains to flesh everyone out properly at the end. After the face turn, there would have had to have been some significant casualties on Team Satsuki or Nudist Beach to force Ryuko to pick up the mantle and actually develop as a character imo, but that wasn't happening. So Ryuko angsts for a while instead and Nudist Beach basically becomes inconsequential in every way after they spill all of the expository details.

Not like I watched for the plot, though. Mako could carry the show by herself. Many lols were had, and everything was wonderfully over the top.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yeah, Mako and Ryuuko are already a pair although they have yet to cohabitate, and they're just meeting a mutual friend together.

Guess Who

Banned
Is it really not clear to some people that the credits scenes are from well after the events of the end fight?

It's clear the end scene isn't THE date. It'd be silly of them to have their date, (friendly or romantic) what is presumably, years later.

Yeah, Mako and Ryuuko are already a pair although they have yet to cohabitate, and they're just meeting a mutual friend together.

If Mako and Ryuko have been bangin' for years by this point, why is Gama still trying to ask Mako out?

Evilisk

I just want to know why it was changed.

I think this might help?

Q: So with this major directional change, what were the effects on the story?

N: Initially we were making a battle-manga type show, but it changed to character drama. The battle-show planned for a complete story ended up becoming a work where regular characters' development/drama will be thoroughly explored. The work coincidentally became much more interesting from there.

N: Actually, we wanted to have the "battles with special powers" thing for the whole story so we considered having a lot of writers to provide some quality variety. But then, the character drama started getting intense, so … "then I'll write the next script, .. and the one after that, and after that too". Before we knew it, I'd done most of the writing. It was like TWENTY-FOUR.

Bonus/Unrelated snippet

N: Ryuuko was initially a completed character. But after the changes in script, she became the type of character where one would get involved in incidents by circumstance, and we made it so the viewer and the heroine would discover what's happening in this world at the same time. Ryuuko therefore became a character with much more vitality.

PK Gaming

Jexhius is dropping bombs about the radical rewrite of the plot and you guys are still fighting shipping wars.

It's absolutely interesting, and I appreciate the fact that he went out of his way to dig up that information.

But what can I honestly add to the discussion?

"Ah that's interesting"

I'm just a dumb nerd who likes ships/fanart.

The very next scene Mako is pushing Ryuuko up a hill to take her to Satsuki:.

Eh I dunno... that's just conjecture on your part.

I think a more likely explanation is that their meeting was coincidental.

Jex

I caught up on everything late. I just watched the last 2/3rds of the show this weekend.

Plot-wise, I just think they had too many heroes and too few villains to flesh everyone out properly at the end. After the face turn, there would have had to have been some significant casualties on Team Satsuki or Nudist Beach to force Ryuko to pick up the mantle and actually develop as a character imo, but that wasn't happening. So Ryuko angsts for a while instead and Nudist Beach basically becomes inconsequential in every way after they spill all of the expository details.
Looking at the work as a whole it's as someone else in the thread said earlier, Nui was probably a character that wasn't intended to be one of the main villains in the show but the way the story developed she ended up standing in for what could have been a few other characters.

Once again, I'm not looking at the show and saying "This story is bad because they made it up along the way!" or anything like that, I'm just interested in seeing how the show ended up being what it was. No judgement is implied.
I think this might help?

Bonus/Unrelated snippet

Also worth nothing:

Q: Did the whole series' structure change as well?
N: It's still changing here and there.
I: And that makes it vastly different from TTGL. TTGL didn't change very much from the first planned structure. But KLK is going beyond that.
N: With KLK, the whole staff (with me included) submit ideas, like "Hey, this would be cool", and the series' layout keeps changing. It's really a live production. If anything, it's quite similar to the experience I had when I was producing weekly manga. With weekly manga, you keep developing/making things in the direction the characters are moving, so it's really fun. KLK gave me that vibe.
Basically, if someone came up for a cool idea or whatever, they'd just change the story there and then. It seems like, at some point the idea of life fibres as invading aliens was stumbled upon and from there they changed the show around.

red13th

Holy fuck it's the Filipino (?) Jecht dude. I though he was going to do goku uniform Gamagoori, I'm happy he went Nudist Beach. Soooo good.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Is it really not clear to some people that the credits scenes are from well after the events of the end fight?

It's clear the end scene isn't THE date. It'd be silly of them to have their date, (friendly or romantic) what is presumably, years later.
Good point, but regardless they don't come across as a couple and Gamagoori is still lurking around to confess.
Eh I dunno... that's just conjecture on your part.

I think a more likely explanation is that their meeting was coincidental.
Fair enough, I'll concede on that.

Silky

Banned
This legit?

WP2Jm5l.jpg

EDIT: wait that could be a fake considering the second panel is the same one from where Mako was saved by Gamagoori

Gazoinks

Thanks for those posts about the cut story Jexhius. It's really interesting how much things changed. And a bit of a shame. Obviously I can't say if their original plans were better or worse, but it does suck that they threw out pretty much all the worldbuilding they set up. The final series didn't really have any as a result.

Yes, thanks for the analysis and interview snippets, guys.

Somehow, I think this mess of a plot, with all its red herrings, loose ends and pacing problems, fits the show quite well. This story behaved like a teenager on the path to adulthood.

In the beginning, it didn't really think about the future and just wanted to have fun (=> "battles with special powers").

At time passed, it began to ponder the meaning of its life, what it wanted to become. It had tons of ideas, and tried many different things, but being so immature and fickle (at times cheerful, even silly, as in episode 4; other times gloomy and serious), it wasn't sure what path to follow.

Yet it progressively began to sort its life out. At the end of the show, one could say that it had "found its way". Sure, it left many of its dreams behind (Honnouji mecha etc), and it hadn't really sorted out all of its issues, but it chose a path and stuck to it (hence why some viewers have qualified the last episodes as "on-rails" or "by the numbers").

In other words: it was the coming-of-age of a story.

Top Bottom