• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

A-V-B

The show has a ton of flaws. There are some plot points that were totally ignored (the magic bullet for one)

Hey, wait, you can't criticize the fan base for every single wish they ever had, then make one yourself about the fiber bullet. Ten-yard penalty.

sonicmj1

Hey, wait, you can't criticize the fan base for every single wish they ever had, then make one yourself about the fiber bullet. Ten-yard penalty.

The issue is more one of economy. If you're making a work of fiction, everything you're creating probably has some kind of purpose. If it doesn't, why would it be there? That's the principle behind "Chekhov's Gun".

So while a lot of fan theories and character return wishlists aren't really that necessary (Aikuro, the Academy, and even Maiko all fulfill their role), the magic bullet is literally a gun that is loaded in act 1 and then never fired. If it wasn't going to be used, there was no reason to show it.

Veal

Well that was an awesome ride! I just need one more thing before we go:
Satsuki playing a saxophone. LETS GEW

Evilisk

senkensu
died so fast that I didn't even have time to feel bad. It was like lol I'm about to die for some reason. And gone.

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same

Both
Kamui's deserved a lot better than just dissipating into nothing within seconds

Also what the hell ever happened to Ragyo's million kamui closet. I'm pretty disappointed nothing ever happened with that (along with the magic bullet, Honnouji mech etc.)

A-V-B

The issue is more one of economy. If you're making a work of fiction, everything you're creating probably has some kind of purpose. If it doesn't, why would it be there? That's the principle behind "Chekhov's Gun".

So while a lot of fan theories and character return wishlists aren't really that necessary (Aikuro, the Academy, and even Maiko all fulfill their role), the magic bullet is literally a gun that is loaded in act 1 and then never fired. If it wasn't going to be used, there was no reason to show it.

Might as well complain about the neutering of Nudist Beach's arc then. About Tsumugu being able to hear Senketsu at a time when only Ryuuko could (and he wasn't some kind of super evolutionary being then.) Of Tsumugu having a sister who was consumed by life fibers. Uh, really, just Tsumugu in general, I suppose. Fiber bullet too, I suspect. That guy used to have a role in the story. Then they ran out of money or something, I guess, but then they couldn't get rid of him so he spent the rest of the series jobbing. I wonder if the same thing happened to Nui. For countless episodes, she just had a generic villain role and didn't get a lot done besides annoying the audience. Even her death seemed strangely anti-climactic in 24, like it wasn't even a real death.

Trigger definitely had to cut some corners in the story. Fiber bullet might just be the most blatantly obvious.

sonicmj1

Magic bullet? I forget.

This one.
idGtoY9Hle6mZ.jpg
Might as well complain about the neutering of Nudist Beach's arc then. About Tsumugu being able to hear Senketsu at a time when only Ryuuko could (and he wasn't some kind of super evolutionary being then.) Of Tsumugu having a sister who was consumed by life fibers. Uh, really, just Tsumugu in general, I suppose. Fiber bullet too, I suspect. That guy used to have a role in the story. Then they ran out of money or something, I guess, but then they couldn't get rid of him so he spent the rest of the series jobbing. I wonder if the same thing happened to Nui. For countless episodes, she just had a generic villain role and didn't get a lot done besides annoying the audience. Even her death seemed strangely anti-climactic in 24, like it wasn't even a real death.

Trigger definitely had to cut some corners in the story. Fiber bullet might just be the most blatantly obvious.

Yeah, Tsumugu's plot (and Nudist Beach in general) didn't wind up playing much of a role. And while I feel like Nui did what she was supposed to do, Rei served absolutely no purpose in the story. I don't think it was budget, really. But I think the story dragged them in an unexpected direction and they didn't have time to go back and make changes.

Nudist Beach is weird, because while Aikurou talks about Tsumugu possibly "getting in trouble with HQ" if they knew he was trying to hunt down Senketsu without permission in episode 5, they're the two highest ranking Nudists that we ever see.

Jintor

tumblr_n342gaYo3Y1rbnx7io1_500.gif

"GOD DAMNIT MOM YOU'RE SO DAMN EMBARRASSING WE CAN NEVER TAKE YOU ANYWHERE!"

"I'm never going anywhere with this family again"

Kukuk

Banned
The show would have to have an episode about boundaries between sisters, and what they should and shouldn't do between the sheets.

Evilisk

Nudist Beach is weird, because while Aikurou talks about Tsumugu possibly "getting in trouble with HQ" if they knew he was trying to hunt down Senketsu without permission in episode 5, they're the two highest ranking Nudists that we ever see.

This is what bugs me the most

They make it seem like they're sort of small fry in the first cour, but then they end up being the only named members of Nudist Beach for the entire series (sans Isshin, but he's dead by the start of the series) and basically seem to be the head honcho's (or at least Aikuro anyway)

TUSR

Banned
I seem to remember that getting shot at one point, but he missed, but maybe i'm confusing it with something completely different.
Nah it didn't.

If I remember correctly, Kill La Kill was originally planned to be a "monster of the week" type show. But Trigger took it in a different direction (unsure why), so there are a lot of plot points that were unused because of the change. The show needed to proceed forward.

I also noticed a few more plot devices that could have been used. Ill post pictures tomorrow when I wake up and find them.
Hint: It has to do with Ragyo

Jex

This one.

Yeah, Tsumugu's plot (and Nudist Beach in general) didn't wind up playing much of a role. And while I feel like Nui did what she was supposed to do, Rei served absolutely no purpose in the story. I don't think it was budget, really. But I think the story dragged them in an unexpected direction and they didn't have time to go back and make changes.

I must admit that I forgot a bunch of this stuff even existed. Just shows how much of a waste of time the first half ended up being considering they jettisoned so much plot.

Blader

Although I'd obviously prefer that they mapped out the series in better, I'm not terribly annoyed about the plot points from the first half that ended up being cut out. I was WAY more into the second half of the show and the Ragyo/REVOCS plot than Nudist Beach antics.

LordCanti

I must admit that I forgot a bunch of this stuff even existed. Just shows how much of a waste of time the first half ended up being considering they jettisoned so much plot.

When you get right down to it, the ONLY thing that mattered in the entire series was
Revocs obtaining as close to 100% coverage of humanity with clothing as possible (Covers project). We were led to believe for a very long time that either Satsuki or Ryuko were going to be an important part of what was eventually revealed to be Shinra Koketsu but...no, Ragyo was perfectly capable of doing it herself (with Rei and/or Nui). The scissors we thought would be important ended up being useless as well. Hell, even the transmitter on campus ended up being useless since Ragyo could just fly to space and transmit the signal directly.

Somnid

When you get right down to it, the ONLY thing that mattered in the entire series was
Revocs obtaining as close to 100% coverage of humanity with clothing as possible (Covers project). We were led to believe for a very long time that either Satsuki or Ryuko were going to be an important part of what was eventually revealed to be Shinra Koketsu but...no, Ragyo was perfectly capable of doing it herself (with Rei and/or Nui). The scissors we thought would be important ended up being useless as well. Hell, even the transmitter on campus ended up being useless since Ragyo could just fly to space and transmit the signal directly.

To be more clear, most of these mattered the whole series, they just didn't matter for the ending.

LordCanti

To be more clear, most of these mattered the whole series, they just didn't matter for the ending.

Right.

This one.

Rei's only purpose was to somehow nullify life fibers as a part of SK. Why she has that ability....no idea since her backstory is never shown (did I miss why she has that power?).

I like to think that there was some sort of Aikuro/Tsumugu plotline involving them really being Kiryuin's at one point (Aikuro really being their Dad, and Tsumugu an uncle or something) but who knows. I'm actually kind of shocked that Aikuro wasn't revealed as their Dad at the very least.

sonicmj1

Rei's only purpose was to somehow nullify life fibers as a part of SK. Why she has that ability....no idea since her backstory is never shown (did I miss why she has that power?).

I like to think that there was some sort of Aikuro/Tsumugu plotline involving them really being Kiryuin's at one point (Aikuro really being their Dad, and Tsumugu an uncle or something) but who knows. I'm actually kind of shocked that Aikuro wasn't revealed as their Dad at the very least.

Given how Aikuro was acting towards Ryuuko from the very beginning, unless they were planning on making him a villain like Ragyo, he was never intended to be her father.

Eusis

I was actually thinking Uzu and Aikuro looked similar to one another early on and would've suspected a connection between those two before Aikuro and anyone else, but I was probably the only one thinking that and that impression wore off over time anyway.

The difference is that this was actually a real thing. We knew it existed. And we knew it was super powerful and could really help them. But then they totally forgot about it. Its not something that I'd say really upsets me but noticeably absent.

Probably already old but this really made me laugh

sample-bb66da0f3237f4fsj6o.jpg

This is awesome. Love how Gamagooris head is cut off in the second panel lol

LordCanti

Given how Aikuro was acting towards Ryuuko from the very beginning, unless they were planning on making him a villain like Ragyo, he was never intended to be her father.

Aikuro and Kiryuin Soichiro have such similar character models though. He also knew exactly where Senketsu was/that Nui hadn't discovered Senketsu's existence, his nude body glows in Kiryuin fashion, etc.

I was actually thinking Uzu and Aikuro looked similar to one another early on and would've suspected a connection between those two before Aikuro and anyone else, but I was probably the only one thinking that and that impression wore off over time anyway.

I've never heard anyone else suspect that connection TBH.

RoyalFool

Banned
Had a bit of time to let the last episode settle, else it's tricky to separate the disappointment that the show has ended with the episode itself.

It's a good episode, I think the only fault is that it was all a bit too predictable and for a show that's had so many twists it felt like the final episode was on auto-pilot, just wheeling out your typical final battle tropes. It's also a shame they couldn't wrap up some of the plot points from earlier on in the series to vindicate the time spent on the whole 'magic bullet' and background characters who never did actually serve any purpose in the end despite all our predictions and guessing.

On the flip-side, there was always the possibility that Trigger would troll everyone with some crazy unsatisfactory everyone-dies ending so, so I'm grateful they at least kept them alive for a possible OVA or follow-up.

Kinyou

Was there ever another explanation for senketsu's lewd design besides the father possibly being a perv? Would be hilarious if not

Gazoinks

Was there ever another explanation for senketsu's lewd design besides the father possibly being a perv? Would be hilarious if not

I think they said something like having more skin revealed means less contact with the Life Fibers and less chance of being overwhelmed? Which is pretty much a hand-wave, but I'm pretty sure it got brought up at some point.

DarkKyo

I think they said something like having more skin revealed means less contact with the Life Fibers and less chance of being overwhelmed? Which is pretty much a hand-wave, but I'm pretty sure it got brought up at some point.

I thought there was an explanation early on(I think Satsuki explained it when she first dons Junketsu) about how the more skin the kamui reveals the more uninhibited you and your powers are.

Amikami

Banned
I thought there was an explanation early on(I think Satsuki explained it when she first dons Junketsu) about how the more skin the kamui reveals the more uninhibited you and your powers are.

Yeah, but this had more to do with how well you synchronize. It was about accepting the kamui and wearing it proudly rather than rejecting it. Kamui's can sense the difference. It's why from the beginning, Satsuki's synchronization was much better because she was not ashamed. Ryuuko was equally bare, yet was not as powerful because she rejected Senketsu and was embarrassed by her appearance.

This is the reason why the Kamui was designed to be so skimpy in the first place. I can't remember if its said, but I assumed Juunketsu was also designed by their father, so he had the same basic thing in mind. This was explained in episode 21. The more surface area of the body covered by life fibers, the easier it is to get taken by them, thus a reason Nui redesigned Juunketsu for Ryuuko.

NEO0MJ

This is the reason why the Kamui was designed to be so skimpy in the first place. I can't remember if its said, but I assumed Juunketsu was also designed by their father, so he had the same basic thing in mind. This was explained in episode 21. The more surface area of the body covered by life fibers, the easier it is to get taken by them, thus a reason Nui redesigned Juunketsu for Ryuuko.

Nah, a more traditional Kamui such as Junketsu was meant to cover the wearer, Ragyo said as much. I don't think Nui had to redesign Junketsu, that was its original form. Satsuki forced it to take a more revealing form in order to better control it. Don't forget that the strongest Kamui, Shinra Koketsu, covered its wearer and only revealed the face.
Sunketsu was the only one designed to be a revealing outfit.

Amikami

Banned
Shes got her sister(s)

Theres always spiderman and the butler too

Naw. Inumuta belongs with iori obviously. I mean, Inu always shined when he was with Iori. I guess...all Satsuki has is the butler.

Takar-*is shot with the magic bullet*

Edit: holy crap someone has done that one too. deviantART indeed.

Of course it's been done! Deviantart is always ahead of the curve.

Nah, a more traditional Kamui such as Junketsu was meant to cover the wearer, Ragyo said as much. I don't think Nui had to redesign Junketsu, that was its original form. Satsuki forced it to take a more revealing form in order to better control it. Don't forget that the strongest Kamui, Shinra Koketsu, covered its wearer and only revealed the face.
Sunketsu was the only one designed to be a revealing outfit.

But didn't Satsuki say the kamui designs were a mark of brilliance. Unless she was only referring to Senketsu. It seemed like she was referring to Kamui in general. At the same time, it makes sense that Juunketsu would be made to cover the user but I'm not sure how Satsuki would force it to take a revealing appearance sinse her ability to synchronize has been "sham" really. Shinra Koketsu did cover everything yet Ragyo managed to maintain her control. So I'm not sure about any of this. It seems kinda conflicting honestly.You make a good point about that though.

Amikami

Banned
Satsuki has Ryuko. The purest form of love.

I have to admit, the relationship between those two made me a lot more sentimental than I thought it could. For such a sort time they were allowed to develop a real sisterly relationship, I thought Trigger somehow managed to pull it off pretty well for what they were given. Those last scenes from the finale damn near melted my heart. Maybe I'm a sucker for stuff like that but it would usually take a lot more time to warrant a reaction out of me.

Highwind

From the preview, it seems Sawano is releasing instrumentals of his vocal tracks and the extended track used with Sanageyama vs Ryuuko.

A-V-B

This one.

Yeah, who the hell expected Aikurou and Tsumugu to be the HEAD of Nudist Beach? Anyone? I sure didn't.

Top Bottom