• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

NEO0MJ

But didn't Satsuki say the kamui designs were a mark of brilliance. Unless she was only referring to Senketsu. It seemed like she was referring to Kamui in general. At the same time, it makes sense that Juunketsu would be made to cover the user but I'm not sure how Satsuki would force it to take a revealing appearance sinse her ability to synchronize has been "sham" really.

She wore Junketsu by sheer force of will, and turning it into a revealing outfit was probably one of the few ways she could control it well for as long as she did. She probably took cues from watching Ryuko when she thought of that idea and knew how to make the best of it from what she learned from her father. He probably thought her a lot about how to make use of the Kamui without the need for a "wedding".
But who knows for sure. Lets not forget that it seems a lot of time trigger has been making things up as they go so there were bound to be inconsistencies in the story.

Amikami

Banned
Gaahh! Can't wait for the new OST. Coming from someone who really enjoyed the first, and alternate versions of the vocal songs.

She wore Junketsu by sheer force of will, and turning it into a revealing outfit was probably one of the few ways she could control it well for as long as she did. She probably took cues from watching Ryuko when she thought of that idea and knew how to make the best of it from what she learned from her father. He probably thought her a lot about how to make use of the Kamui without the need for a "wedding".
But who knows for sure. Lets not forget that it seems a lot of time trigger has been making things up as they go so there were bound to be inconsistencies in the story.

Perhaps you're right about that. It was just hard for me to imagine that she could when she couldn't even do techniques like Juunketsu Senjin/Shippu or any alteration until Senketsu and Ryuuko had some of themselves injected into it to make it more manageable, but its no denying she was able to even wear it in the first place with sheer will alone.

I agree that Trigger really didn't have every detail planned out and it shows. You have to make some assumptions to have it all make sense and even then, things aren't going to fit completely.

XAL

I don't know if this has been posted.

tumblr_n2sudxCS731r2sxswo1_1280.gif

Jex

I know this has already been mentioned, and not to say that this is a bad thing or a good thing, but out of interest I went back and re-watched episode five to see how the story 'developed' over the course of the series. Episode 5, with the introduction of Tsumugu, really gives the viewers their first glimpse into the 'greater world' of Kill la Kill. It teaches us about Tsumugu, Aikuro, Nudist Beach, and their mission. By the end of the show just about everything you've been taught in this episode is completely wrong or irrelevant. For example, we know that Nudist Beach is concerned with, as they put it, the Kiryuins are up to stuff, but that's not their main concern. They are more concerned with something else - here's how Tsumugu puts it:

klk5184s71.jpg

klk52cxsyv.jpg

klk538dsy4.jpg

This is obviously completely false. As episode 12 teaches us, Nudist Beach were founded by Dr Matoi explicitly to fight the life fibres which are poised to take over the world. But in episode 5 the Kiryuins are just small fry and Ryuko's kamui going out of control is the biggest threat they could imagine.

In addition, Tsumugu and Aikuro are portrayed as middle ranking warriors in Nudist beach that have shared a few scraps together. Tsmugu has kind of gone rouge and is acting on his own, rather than on orders from HQ:

klk542is3r.jpg

klk55ues7l.jpg

Of course later on Tsumugu and Aikruo are revealed to basically be in command of the entire organisation. So none of this makes any damn sense. Finally, of course, there's the whole plot with Tsumug's sister:

klk56w6scu.jpg

Who thought humans could be friends with clothing, or something, and got killed during some kind of experiment. This plot is never really dealt with and feels like it's also part of a completely different series. I'd actually be kind of interested in knowing what they originally had intended for the series compared to where they went.

Oh yeah, and the magic bullet, can't forget that.

Aikuro mentions after the raid arc that Nudist Beach got nearly wiped out by the war. It's possible the leadership was decimated leaving him and Tsumugu in charge.

Kinyou

I think they said something like having more skin revealed means less contact with the Life Fibers and less chance of being overwhelmed? Which is pretty much a hand-wave, but I'm pretty sure it got brought up at some point.
Ah yes, I think I remember something like that.

Though still a little odd considering that Ryuko is partly life fiber herself

sphagnum

Banned
I would be up for them doing a FMA: Brotherhood thing where they redo the series with the original plot, whatever that would be.

Jex

In fact, there's probably more in that conversation worth considering. For example, Aikuro says:

klk5a1dnxli.jpg

According to episode 12 everyone knows, for a fact, that humans and life fibres are inherently at odds and, in fact, life fibres are out to consume life throughout the galaxy. So what the heck was Kinue talking about, and why was she conducting experiments on clothing? None of it makes any sense once the revelations about life fibres come to pass.

Tsumugu also says:

klk5a2p1yah.jpg

klk5a3zhz12.jpg

Notice this entire conversation is focused on the power of kamui/godrobes and how dangerous they are and how they turn people into monsters. Not only that, but the way Tsumugu phrases it seems to imply that he's had experiences with multiple kamui before and they're a special kind of threat to him which will cause him to "go all out" as it were. This makes no sense as there are only two known kamui (until the very end) Junkestu and Senketsu. One of those was created to fight the life fibre threat, the other sealed away until Satsuki came of age. So what the hell is Tsumugu talking about? Apparently a completely different series.

Also, and you can argue plenty about whether I'm interpreting this correctly, but at the end of their exchange this is said:

klk5a4xea00.jpg

klk5a56eae6.jpg

klk5a6b3yj1.jpg

Leaving aside the aforementioned Kamui = main threat plot discussed above, Tsumug's turn of phrase here seems to suggest that originally 'Nudist Beach' wasn't a literal description of how the anti-clothing guerillas dressed, or else you wouldn't need to talk about "naked nudists" because, as we see later, Naked Beach always go into to battle naked as life fibres are the enemy. Unless...that wasn't originally in the story at all which is why Tsumugu starts of wearing clothes and only starts to get naked later in the series. It's possible that later on, when the life fibre plot was created and Nudist Beach reduced to jobbers it would be funny to literally make Nudist Beach naked warriors who actually had a beach hideout.

The possibility of major re-write might also explain how Ryuko's character ended up so aimless/manipulated for much of the series.

I have to admit, the relationship between those two made me a lot more sentimental than I thought it could. For such a sort time they were allowed to develop a real sisterly relationship, I thought Trigger somehow managed to pull it off pretty well for what they were given. Those last scenes from the finale damn near melted my heart. Maybe I'm a sucker for stuff like that but it would usually take a lot more time to warrant a reaction out of me.
Satsuki running like mad to catch her little sis was the cutest thing ever.

I'd actually be kind of interested in knowing what they originally had intended for the series compared to where they went.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a remake in a couple of years. Same character design, same wackiness, but bigger budget and meatier plot (I don't seriously expect that to happen, it's just wishful thinking. And I still like the show as it is, even with all its flaws).

Anyway, lots of great points in your posts. One thing though: when you see the level of power that Ryuko and Senketsu reached in the final episode, it was not much of a stretch to see them as being, potentially, a bigger threat than the Kiryuin. Aikuro was aware of Senketsu's ability to absorb Life Fibers, wasn't he? I would even say that he underestimated the threat they represented, considering he didn't know that Ryuko was a hybrid.

Jex

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a remake in a couple of years. Same character design, same wackiness, but bigger budget and meatier plot (I don't seriously expect that to happen, it's just wishful thinking. And I still like the show as it is, even with all its flaws).

Anyway, lots of great points in your posts. One thing though: when you see the level of power that Ryuko and Senketsu reached in the final episode, it was not much of a stretch to see them as being, potentially, a bigger threat than the Kiryuin. Aikuro was aware of Senketsu's ability to absorb Life Fibers, wasn't he? I would even say that he underestimated the threat they represented, considering he didn't know that Ryuko was a hybrid.

Sure, in the sense that you can kind of mentally fill in the blanks but it seems to require ignoring several key factors which indicate a completely different story. All the early focus on Kamui really suggests a different original direction.

Also, the way that the Kamui consume their hosts like a monster during transformation and how the Kamui reflect their hosts' mood really seems like a very different set of mechanics to how life-fibre-aliens passively sit on hosts waiting to consume them as energy source in part of some big, all consuming plan. It really allowed for the Kamui to reflect their wearer in a way that explored their character. Ryuko losing her way became a bit of a running joke later on but the way she was apparently originally written and envisioned, her desperate quest for revenge and her fragile emotional state that leads to her 'being consumed' seems to tie together really closely. Later on, however, the clothing theme makes very little sense and it's just a weapon system.

Branduil

The story being completely rewritten halfway through would certainly explain a lot. I wonder what led them to scrap their original story.

Either way this is far more fascinating than the actual story in the show.

TheOGB

Banned
Somebody came up with a dream cast for a dub and it's actually kind of amazing
Ryuko Matoi - Wendee Lee

Senketsu - Crispin Freeman

Mako Mankanshoku - Erin Fitzgerald

Satsuki Kiryuin - Tara Platt

Ira Gamagoori - Patrick Seitz

Uzu Sanageyama - Sam Riegel

Houka Inumuta - Lucien Dodge

Nonon Jakuzare - Kari Wahlgren

Siro Iori - Vic Mignogna

Aikuro Mikisugi - Keith Silverstein

Tsumugu Kinagase - Travis Willingham

Barazo Mankanshoku - Wally Wingert

Sukuyo Mankanshoku - Michelle Ruff

Mataro Mankanshoku - Mona Marshall

Ragyo Kiryuin - Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

Nui Harime - Cristina Vee

Rei Hououmaru - Bridget Hoffman

Maiko Ogure - Sarah Williams

Shinjiro Nagita - Bryce Papenbrook

Also this person's sweater says "No Stop"
tumblr_n39oxxPPEg1rn7s07o1_1280.png

Season 2 speculation hype

wsippel

Banned
Yeah, this was flawed, but I honestly don't even care at this point. Even seeing all the flaws as they appeared, KLK was really fucking entertaining every week - and that's really all I ask for. So, lose ends and red herrings aside, it was a really fun ride, I'm sad it's over, and I totally want a second season. Trigger can use it to clear up a few of the dead ends if they want to, or they can just ignore them - I don't care. I just want more of that.

Amikami

Banned
Wish I knew Voice actors enough to imagine their voices. The only ones I recognize is freeman and papenbrooke, Also, it is weird that that's the only clothes that has any sort of print, but that's kind of a stretch no.
SEASON 2 FUCK YEAH!

LordCanti

Aikuro being in command makes sense (he worked directly under Soichiro), but obviously that wasn't the original intention based on that screenshot of him saying that HQ was going to be angry at Tsumugu. Who knows when they scrapped those plot lines.

Somebody came up with a dream cast for a dub and it's actually kind of amazing

Also this person's sweater says "No Stop"
tumblr_n39oxxPPEg1rn7s07o1_1280.png

Season 2 speculation hype

That's right up there with "21 I die" or whatever that Mako screenshot was.

Edit: Oh and..

Sure, in the sense that you can kind of mentally fill in the blanks but it seems to require ignoring several key factors which indicate a completely different story. All the early focus on Kamui really suggests a different original direction.
Oh but I totally agree with you on that. I just wanted to point out that this specific Aikuro quote was still somewhat relevant in the story we got, and that maybe Senketsu's ability to increase his power by absorbing Life Fibers was already crucial in the original plot.

Mononoke

Banned
I have to admit, the relationship between those two made me a lot more sentimental than I thought it could. For such a sort time they were allowed to develop a real sisterly relationship, I thought Trigger somehow managed to pull it off pretty well for what they were given. Those last scenes from the finale damn near melted my heart. Maybe I'm a sucker for stuff like that but it would usually take a lot more time to warrant a reaction out of me.

Honestly, was my favorite part in the show. And as you said, given the short amount of time, that's impressive.

LordCanti

Someone mind explaining the "21 I die" Mako thing? What is that? Did I miss something?

Hell, for all we know at this point, maybe they were trying to foreshadow Mako's death :p

At the age of 21 in a sequel?

I know you mean "maybe they were going to do it at the time". I just think it'd be funny if she has her 21st birthday in the first episode of a sequel, only to have Rei pop out and stab her in the heart. Funny isn't the right word. Shocking? Gama-chan would have to become the new protagonist to avenge her.

TheOGB

Banned
Although, shouldn't Kyle Hebert be Tsumugu?
I'm actually liking Hebert as Aikuro. Mostly because it makes me giggle.

At the age of 21 in a sequel?

I know you mean "maybe they were going to do it at the time". I just think it'd be funny if she has her 21st birthday in the first episode of a sequel, only to have Rei pop out and stab her in the heart. Funny isn't the right word. Shocking? Gama-chan would have to become the new protagonist to avenge her.
No you were right,
that'd be hilarious. Tragic, but hilarious.

Moonlight

Banned
[dream dub cast]
Most of those sound fine with me (I particularly like Tara Platt as Satsuki), but not feeling the Ryuuko pick. Wendee Lee's a fine VA, but her attempts to sound like a high schooler have always sounded forced and I don't think she sounds, uh, rough and tumble enough for it anyways.

A-V-B

Most of those sound fine with me (I particularly like Tara Platt as Satsuki), but not feeling the Ryuuko pick. Wendee Lee's a fine VA, but her attempts to sound like a high schooler have always sound forced and I don't think she sounds, uh, rough and tumble enough for it anyways.

Agreed, there's probably a more suitable choice for Ryuuko. Someone younger who can really nail the "punk don't give a funk" attitude.

Odrion

Banned
The story being completely rewritten halfway through would certainly explain a lot. I wonder what led them to scrap their original story.

Either way this is far more fascinating than the actual story in the show.
I swore there was an interview out there with someone at Trigger who says just as much.

edit: Like they changed directions because they wanted to make it more "character focused" or something.

LordCanti

Ryuko goes crazy, dies her hair and flys her scooter into space. Suddenly KLK is a FLCL prequel.

Atomsk is a glowing red space alien. Who's to say that he isn't made of Life Fibers?

Also...Medical Mechanica..... Mako's Dad is sort of a doctor....Aikuro builds robots...

Medical Mechanica makes irons...the kind of irons that one might IRON CLOTHING WITH.

DUNT DUNT DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Atomsk is a glowing red space alien. Who's to say that he isn't made of Life Fibers?

Also...Medical Mechanica..... Mako's Dad is sort of a doctor....Aikuro builds robots...

Medical Mechanica makes irons...the kind of irons that one might IRON CLOTHING WITH.

DUNT DUNT DUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

OH HELL NAW. I could totally imagine the tie-in. IT'S TOO GOOD.

Haruko is Ryuko's or Satsuki's daughter, Ryuko left Earth somehow to combat the Life Fibres somewhere else, but before she left, she helped found Medical Mechanica with Aikuro, Mako and Satsuki, basically building and leaving behind a giant iron as a superweapon to steam-press invading Life Fibres into submission/non-hazardous mode (after seeing how Senketsu liked being ironed); but somehow, Medical Mechanica got secretly corrupted by the Fibres. Haruko found out, and is secretly experimenting with different ways to combat Medical Mechanica's Fibre-bots and Life Fibres, using a prototype sonic destabilizer guitar weapon partially invented by both Nonon and Tsumugu. She starts by turning an unsuspecting kid, Naota, into a human testing ground/Mechanica spawn point, so she can assess their strategies and strength; while meanwhile trying to gather info on how to find Atomsk, who could actually be Ryuko herself, but somehow transformed?...

There could easily be a crossover! :eek:

edit: Also, I came across this great retouched cover of Don't Lose Your Way on Youtube (can't get enough of this song, SO GOOD):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBzV7gecMx0

She has a cover of the first OP and also the OP of Gurren Lagann as well, they're REALLY good,

Top Bottom