• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

A-V-B

So are the dubs home release only? Guessing no channels are going to be picking it up thanks to some of its, uh... near-Hentai nature?

TheOGB

Banned
Ryuuko: Erica Mendez
Satsuki: Carrie Keranen
Senketsu: David Vincent
Mako: Christine Marie Cabanos

Nonon: Sarah Ann Williams
Gamagoori: Patrick Seitz
Sanageyama: Grant George
Inumuta: Steve Canon

Mikisugi: Matt Mercer

Bolded were great in the trailer (especially Gamagoori), the rest were meh at best.
Agreed on this. Team Satsuki stay winning.

I have hope for Mako though (and everybody else, really, but CMC seems like a good fit for the role)

Do you typically call $200 for a 24 episode series reasonable?
I think I forgot to factor in the rest of the show :V

A-V-B

I thought she sounded awesome. Really, the only one out of the bunch that doesn't quite hit it for me is Ryuuko. (I don't know about Senketsu -- I don't even remember hearing him)

Giolon

I thought she sounded awesome. Really, the only one out of the bunch that doesn't quite hit it for me is Ryuuko. (I don't know about Senketsu -- I don't even remember hearing him)

Senketsu was the worst in the trailer for me, followed by Mikisugi. They both sounded completely wrong for the characters. Ryuuko and Mako just sounded a little off, but might be ok once you get more than just the trailer snippets.

Nice and cheap, fuck yes. And it's with all the goodies. I set aside like $900 for the sets just incase, so this is just gravy.
I know right? While I wouldn't exactly say cheap, as soon as I saw Aniplex had the rights to US home video release, I knew the price was going to be retarded so I started budgeting accordingly. I've never paid this much for a single show before.

Check out the LE:

limited_wrap_l.jpg

A-V-B

Senketsu was the worst in the trailer for me, followed by Mikisugi.

Like I said, I don't even remember hearing Senketsu. I kept expecting this sort of... deep, slightly-cartoonish, larger than life voice like he had. Never heard anything close, so I assumed I didn't hear him.

(remember I wasn't looking at the screen, I dunno if they showed him talking or not.)

Thoraxes

I know right? While I wouldn't exactly say cheap, as soon as I saw Aniplex had the rights to US home video release, I knew the price was going to be retarded so I started budgeting accordingly. I've never paid this much for a single show before.
I guess I should say cheap by AoA standards lol. Since I've started working full time the past year-ish now, I've been purchasing a lot of shows I really enjoy. Bought the TTGL blurays too!

And yeah, that LE is sexy. I'm really glad we're getting a pretty similar release to the JP release.

Nachos

Ryuuko: Erica Mendez
Satsuki: Carrie Keranen
Senketsu: David Vincent
Mako: Christine Marie Cabanos

Nonon: Sarah Ann Williams
Gamagoori: Patrick Seitz
Sanageyama: Grant George
Inumuta: Steve Canon

Mikisugi: Matt Mercer

Bolded were great in the trailer (especially Gamagoori), the rest were meh at best.

I thought the stand outs were Cabanos, Mercer, and Williams. Grant George and David Vincent sounded odd - George in the sense that he's trying to play a fiery character as calm and collected, while Vincent sounds like a radically different take from the Japanese voice, so I'd have to hear more. He certainly doesn't sound like the pillar of strength and stability like the Japanese voice did. Would not bro out with just yet.

Satsuki only sounded believable while she was yelling - as if that was the only way for her to show any resolve or backbone. I haven't heard Steve before, but he sounded pretty identical to the Japanese voice. Erica sounds like a great choice, voice-wise, but she also doesn't seem to be completely in character just yet. Seitz is great at being boisterous and thunderous, as usual, but it's too early to say if he's actually tuned into the character.

It's certainly not bad, but there are some places to improve. Nonon is pitch-perfect, though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Some of you people seem really new to buying anime on disc, a lot of titles tend to be this pricey for a few reasons, in the case of Aniplex to stop reverse importing.

andymcc

Banned
in Japan, they're used to paying 1500yen for a fucking watermelon but this is america dammit! those prices are outrageous!

Some of you people seem really new to buying anime on disc, a lot of titles tend to be this pricey for a few reasons, in the case of Aniplex to stop reverse importing.

i used to buy subbed VHS at $29.99 per 2 -3 episodes, depending on series, back in the 90s. I don't wanna go back to that.

A-V-B

I thought the stand outs were Cabanos, Mercer, and Williams. Grant George and David Vincent sounded odd - George in the sense that he's trying to play a fiery character as calm and collected, while Vincent sounds like a radically different take from the Japanese voice, so I'd have to hear more. He certainly doesn't sound like the pillar of strength and stability like the Japanese voice did. Would not bro out with just yet.

Satsuki only sounded believable while she was yelling - as if that was the only way to show any resolve or backbone. I haven't heard Steve before, but he sounded great. Erica sounds like a great choice, voice-wise, but she also doesn't seem to be completely in character just yet. Seitz is great and being boisterous and thunderous, as usual, but it's too early to say if he's actually tuned into the character.

It's certainly not bad, but there are some places to improve. Nonon is pitch-perfect, though.

Nonon sounds fucking incredible. Gamagoori, too. And Mako.

Those three are my favorites. Instantly knew who they were as soon as they started talking, and that's usually a good indicator.

Which is fortunate they started Satsuki with yelling, because if it was just her speaking voice I wouldn't've known right away. Hope she and Ryuuko get more of the character with more experience.

Pachinko

Well, I suppose if you just wanted to watch it it's basically free , or was anyway. I really did like this show but I'm not sure I'd spend that much on it. I won't even spend 60$ for an HBO show... I'll just wait a year and see if we get a 99.99 box set or something (wishful thinking perhaps ? )

Feep

Banned
Holy shit. My good friend Erica Mendez is voicing Ryuko in the English dub.

She's mad talent.

Edit: Oh shit I was mad beaten

A-V-B

She's mad talent.

Tell Erica good luck for us. Ryuuko had a very distinctly Japanese kind of voice, and that's tough to go up against.

Giolon

Well yeah, I tend to wait for sales/price drops. What's Aniplex's track record with sales folks?

ROFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLMAO. Aniplex doesn't do sales, and the prices of their sets tend to go up after they relatively quickly go out of print.

60$ per box. Hm. Has there been any announcement about an european release from anyone yet?

There was an announcement, I'd swear but I can't find the details. I think it got announced as 2 sets?

She's mad talent.

That's awesome. Tell her congratulations.

Nachos

Nonon sounds fucking incredible. Gamagoori, too. And Mako.

Those three are my favorites. Instantly knew who they were as soon as they started talking, and that's usually a good indicator.

Which is fortunate they started Satsuki with yelling, because if it was just her speaking voice I wouldn't've known right away. Hope she and Ryuuko get more of the character with more experience.

I might just be biased towards Mercer, since I imagined he would be a good fit for Mikisugi. I don't know how hell fare for the first few episodes, but I'm certain he'll get into the groove quickly.

Also, Erica is pretty new to professional dubbing. She's been a mod for an amateur voice acting forum for some years now, but I really don't think she's been in many pro gigs. Plus, I'm sure the hobbyist background pales in comparison to even a little bit of professional experience. Still, I'm certain she'll get a better sense of Ryuuko pretty quickly.

Feep

Banned
Also, Erica is pretty new to professional dubbing. She's been a mod for an amateur voice acting forum for some years now, but I really don't think she's been in many pro gigs. Plus, I'm sure the hobbyist background pales in comparison to even a little bit of professional experience. Still, I'm sure she'll get a better sense of Ryuuko pretty quickly.
She's been climbing up the ranks very, very quickly. She did some temp VO for me in the vertical slice of There Came an Echo. (It's hard to tell who is speaking without dialogue boxes, which were not done at the time, but she's the one sarcastic one who starts with "Corrin's being kind of a bitch.")

Moonlight

Banned
...did I just hear 'Senkets'.

You have no idea how much this is going to bug me. You have no idea.

I like most of the voices, though. Sarah Williams' Nonon sounds pitch-perfect, and Gamagoori is awesome, too. I like Satsuki and Mako, too. I think I'll have to hear a little more from Ryuuko before I get used to it, is the thing. Ami Koshimizu's performance is a tough act to follow.

Only real issue I had was Senketsu. Sounded off as heck.

Soma

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh not a fan of Ryuuko's voice at all. Satsuki sounds okay.

Nonon though sounds great.

Weirdly enough she reminds me of the English dub for Haruko (FLCL)

TUSR

Banned
...did I just hear 'Senkets'.

You have no idea how much this is going to bug me. You have no idea.

I like most of the voices, though. Sarah Williams' Nonon sounds pitch-perfect, and Gamagoori is awesome, too. I like Satsuki and Mako, too. I think I'll have to hear a little more from Ryuuko before I get used to it, is the thing. Ami Koshimizu's performance is a tough act to follow.

Only real issue I had was Senketsu. Sounded off as heck.

This is pretty much spot on, Gamagoori's is pretty decent. Tetsu Inada is just so good.

DominoKid

voices sound alright, just a little lacking in enthusiasm. maybe they'll really get into their characters and the energy of the show as it goes on.

Top Bottom