• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kill la Kill |OT|

Soma

Sarah
zkxMCrx.gif

I love this avatar btw

Superflat

Ryuuko sounds like a normal voice trying to sound husky. She's practically whispering some lines to make it sound menacing/give it some husk, and that's not a good voice for Ryuuko at all, who yells all her lines clearly.

Satsuki's voice sounds pretty good, but Gamagoori sounds weirdly muted despite the over-the-top yelling. Maybe it's a mixing issue? A bit too much gruff too, imo. It makes his voice sound flat as a result. Hope there's variation in his voice in the actual show.

The rest of the elite four sound really good, was surprised at how good they casted Nonon.

Senketsu just sounds like... some guy. LOL

Nachos

...did I just hear 'Senkets'.

You have no idea how much this is going to bug me. You have no idea.

Reminds me of MVC3's Amaterasu - everyone smushed the sounds together when tagging into her, and it's always been curious to me to see how voice directors approach this. I remember Houk saying that they specifically went for Americanized pronunciations for Dangan Ronpa, but when others try to be "authentic," they always mess up somewhere. Japanese is a phonetic-based language, too, so I really wonder how hard it would be to go "Say Sen-keh-tsu, 'tsu' being like beat-boxing a high hat." It wouldn't be a one-off thing, so I'd think it'd be worth it to really nail frequently-recurring words/terms.

It was pretty telling when the dude doing the live stream had to keep asking about pronunciations from someone off-screen.

She's been climbing up the ranks very, very quickly. She did some temp VO for me in the vertical slice of There Came an Echo. (It's hard to tell who is speaking without dialogue boxes, which were not done at the time, but she's the one sarcastic one who starts with "Corrin's being kind of a bitch.")
Yeah, from what little I've heard of her, she always seemed like an English analogue to Romi Park - excelling at depicting boys, but also being pretty good all-'round.

I like it a lot. Nonon's voice is perfect and Satsuki's is damn good too. The only voices I had a problem with was Senketsu and Mako's but I think I may get used to them over time.

Overall the dub is a lot better than I expected it to be and I would have bought it day one if it wasn't so pricey.

A-V-B

Yeah, Senketsu's is just... weird. And I'm not much of a stickler for voice match if they can get the PERFORMANCE right.

Senketsu... sounds like a giant miss on both sound and performance. It's bizarre.

A-V-B

I do think Mikisugi will be fine. The only line we got from him was his "lame passive teacher" thing. I want to hear him scream "BEAAAACH"

TCKaos

Here is my research (quick Google and Amazon search results) about approximate BD prices for popular anime in the North American market:

Series Title - Price per Episode
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - $24.00
KILL la KILL - $10.00
Sword Art Online - $6.00
K-On! - $2.84
Attack on Titan - $2.38
Deadman Wonderland - $1.75
DragonBall Z Kai - $1.50
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - $1.10

For reference:
Breaking Bad - $2.58

I mean, shit, Aniplex. What the fuck are you doing? When I could either buy the first four episodes of your series or nearly half of another series, there's a problem.

Nachos

Well, /a/ is being /a/, as usual, but they did turn me into these casting details that weren't mentioned in the stream:

Lindsey Eaton: Mataro Mankanshoku
Michael Sorich: Barazo Mankanshoku
Erika Harlacher: Sukuyo Mankanshoku
Todd Haberkorn: Shiro Iori

I had never heard of Sorich before, but that guy seems like he's been a ton of extras, on top of being a director, with being in stuff like Akira, Bebop, and Castle in the Sky. Lindsey Eaton seems like a complete newcomer, so this might be her first role.

sphagnum

Banned
There's nothing wrong with dropping the u from Senketsu. It's just there in Japanese because all consonants except for n have a vowel after them; it's barely pronounced and sometimes in the original version they just pronounce it "Senkets" anyway.

Calling it Senketsoo would've sounded weirder.

Nachos

There's nothing wrong with dropping the u from Senketsu. It's just there in Japanese because all consonants except for n have a vowel after them; it's barely pronounced and sometimes in the original version they just pronounce it "Senkets" anyway.

Eh, I guess I can see where you're coming from, but I feel like it should be approximated as closely as possible. I mean, no one is really going to know the ins and outs of languages (ask an English speaker to de-palatalize their consonant sounds like you would all the time in Russian, and you'd get plenty of blank stares; heck, mention a glottal stop, and you'd still get looked at funny), but I think this is just inaccurate transliteration.

I would actually prefer an over-emphasized U sound, because what they have now is like a reverse Rihanna - instead of adding extra syllables, they turn a word with three syllables into one with only two.

Finally checked out the trailer and I actually like the dub cast overall.
Though, I think I agree with most/everyone here that Senketsu is the only voice I question at the moment.

But the prices... Why so high?

akaoni

Banned
I wave it off when the prices for the English licensed product are like that for an actually decent series, but KLK just isn't that good unless these have greatest broadcast-to-disc changes ever made.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Holy shit. My good friend Erica Mendez is voicing Ryuko in the English dub.

She's mad talent.

Edit: Oh shit I was mad beaten
She's got her work cut out for her. Not an easy role and lots of eyes on her. Not capturing what makes Ryuko Ryuko.
I felt it was one of the weaker voices in the dub which wouldn't stand out so much if the other characters didn't all fit pretty well. Gama and Nonon are great.

Hope she does well of course though!

Bold One

went back a few pages and saw everyone loosing their shit at the intro to ep 21 lol

I thought the Rogyou fingering Satsuki in the bath was much worse bth

Some serious Stockholm Syndrome in this thread. That price is fucking terrible and Aniplex are some Grade-A con men. Any other reaction to this is hilarious.

kewlmyc

It's bad when on the character menu on the official Aniplex site, he's listed as Senketsu.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's bad when on the character menu on the official Aniplex site, he's listed as Senketsu.
This is kind of a weird thing to make an issue out of. If you've listened to Japanese for any stretch of time in any media, you should have noticed by now that trailing u's tend to be barely enunciated.

A-V-B

This is kind of a weird thing to make an issue out of. If you've listened to Japanese for any stretch of time in any media, you should have noticed by now that trailing u's tend to be barely enunciated.

But again... that final scream is going to suck.

"SENKETTSSSSSsssssss"

or

"SENKEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...ts!"

Either it's a hissing snake or a last second rimshot.

Jex

Some serious Stockholm Syndrome in this thread. That price is fucking terrible and Aniplex are some Grade-A con men. Any other reaction to this is hilarious.
I don't think it's fair to say that Aniplex are con men. They're shrewd business people who know that only a handful of the most hardcore fans will be buying this kind of release but that there enough people who will to make it worth it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't think it's fair to say that Aniplex are con men. They're shrewd business people who know that only a handful of the most hardcore fans will be buying this kind of release but that there enough people who will to make it worth it.

That is usually the way boutique pricing works actually.

MarkusRJR

So far the dub seems "meh". I need to hear more to make a solid opinion. Definitely not a fan of the main characters voices -> Ryuko, Senketsu, Satsuki, and Mako. I loved the elite four's voices though, Nonon expecially. Her voice sounds perfectly as I'd imagine it in English.

Also, $40-$60 per 4 episodes is literally insane. What a rip off. Only other anime I remember costing that much was Gurren Lagann (which I inevitably got on sale for DVD, $12 a volume). Guess I'll be waiting a few years then to pick up this.

Oh, and fucking "Senkets"? My head won't be able to wrap around that one, no matter how many times I hear it.

Jex

Also, $40-$60 per 4 episodes is literally insane. What a rip off. Only other anime I remember costing that much was Gurren Lagann (which I inevitably got on sale for DVD, $12 a volume). Guess I'll be waiting a few years then to pick up this.
Guess what the common denominator is here? Aniplex, it's just how they do all their major releases.

Faiz

I didn't realize there were so many people still unfamiliar with Aniplex's business model. They've been doing this for years now.

The KLK pricing is frustrating but what's truly horrendous are their "official imports" like Fate/Zero ($700 for a 2 cour series). No, no, no, and no. I don't spend that much on anime in a year TOTAL, much less on a single show.

The only Aniplex release I own is the Baccano BluRay LE, because it was only something like $60-$70 for the whole 18 episode show. For other Aniplex releases I think I'm gonna break down and buy a region free BluRay player and get the Region B releases.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Skenketsu sounds really off. Voice isn't deep enough. Mako was going to be nearly impossible to pull off.

Everyone else sounds pretty good, though.

LordCanti

If you want to save some money, wait for the UK release. Assuming you've got a region free Blu-Ray player that is.

Aniplex isn't giving up this business model anytime soon.

If you want to save some money, wait for the UK release. Assuming you've got a region free Blu-Ray player that is.

I do think it's kinda funny about that. If your thought is "Screw Aniplex, I'm going to get a region-free Blu-Ray player and show them!" do you really come out ahead?

You'll spend around $100 for it, and then importing the blu-rays will still cost you....I guess if you watch enough anime, eventually you come out ahead.

I'm not exactly excited about possibly paying $200 for the Blu-Rays (the only thing I'd be interested in from the limited set is the soundtrack, and I already have a copy...because I imported the first japanese blu-ray - I know, I know - at least it looked great!), but I really want this show.

Faiz

I do think it's kinda funny about that. If your thought is "Screw Aniplex, I'm going to get a region-free Blu-Ray player and show them!" do you really come out ahead?

You'll spend around $100 for it, and then importing the blu-rays will still cost you....I guess if you watch enough anime, eventually you come out ahead.

Yes, of course, no one is buying a region free player for one show. It's a fixed one time cost you benefit from while buying many shows and movies which are either too expensive or unavailable in your own region.

Edit: for reference, the complete Madoka Magika UK set is £22 (about $37 currently) on Amazon UK. The complete set from Aniplex is $120.

JulianImp

Just watched the english trailer, and hell, dat Nonon.

Satsuki, Mako and Sanageyama all sounded good to me, but it sounded like Gama's VA was straining his voice without quite achieving the original's tone. I can't really say much about Houka, since his voice was kind of bland in the original, anyway.

I agree that Ryuuko sounds a bit off for now, but perhaps it's just me being too used to her JP VA. Still, Senkets
u
was the one that sounded the most inappropriate.

If you guys are getting the DVDs/BRs it for that much, I can't help but shudder at the price I'd have to pay for them. Since this kind of stuff gets imported in very small quantities, it means anime and comic stores treat it as an even more premium item than you would in the states due to the high customs taxes on top of the greedy importers.

kewlmyc

This is what I do for any Aniplex release. Fate/Zero, Madoka, Gurren Lagann, Magi, Durarara. All way cheaper in Europe.

I'm not exactly excited about possibly paying $200 for the Blu-Rays (the only thing I'd be interested in from the limited set is the soundtrack, and I already have a copy...because I imported the first japanese blu-ray - I know, I know - at least it looked great!), but I really want this show.

The Gurren Lagann BD set here is $500 while the one coming out in Europe with the same stuff was around $137 when I preordered it. Plus with all the upcoming anime that I'm interested in that Aniplex will jack up the price for, it's a good investment. Plus the BD player is a good BD player as well. Plus you act as if importing discs is some super expensive endeavor. Just make an Amazon.co.uk account.

The Gurren Lagann BD set here is $500 while the one coming out in Europe with the same stuff was around $137 when I preordered it. Plus with all the upcoming anime that I'm interested in that Aniplex will jack up the price for, it's a good investment. Plus the BD player is a good BD player as well. Plus you act as if importing discs is some super expensive endeavor. Just make an Amazon.co.uk account.

I know it's not a super expensive endeavor - I have an Amazon UK and Japan account. It's more just thinking out loud and whether or not it's the best option for someone like me who isn't planning on buying a lot of anime - especially from Aniplex.

I'm not knocking the idea, sorry if it came across that way.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, the fan-dub and 90s VA seems pretty on point from what I've heard in the trailer. Combined with the price, not buying it is a no-brainer on my end.

sphagnum

Banned

That's the way it's spelled. It's just not the way it's pronounced. It's literally no different than "Satsuki" not being spelled "Satski".

This is just the way that Japanese works. It's a closer approximation to the original pronunciation to just drop the u in general than to overpronounce it.

Top Bottom