• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Nori Chan

Wh0vuCB.jpg

First pin came in today :)

The Flash

Banned
All this "new development partner" talk has gotten me thinking about what an Xbox version of Smash and All-Stars would look like. It would be interesting to see to say the least especially if it had Rare characters in it. Mumbo Jumbo vs Crackdown Agent. Joanna Dark vs the Arbiter. Zitz vs Orchid. I'd buy it. Hmm... I should devote more thought to this.

played about 30 ranked games in the last couple days and loving it (not one quitter! although i only won about half the games). my main problem is combo breakers. i just can't seem to get a read on what i should break so i just guess and usually its wrong. any tips?

The Flash

Banned
played about 30 ranked games in the last couple days and loving it (not one quitter! although i only won about half the games). my main problem is combo breakers. i just can't seem to get a read on what i should break so i just guess and usually its wrong. any tips?

Practice mode. I'm staying there until I figure out how to do that and more. I'm going to be a "Button Masher" for a long time...

That's more recognizing animations of auto-doubles and the speed/amount of hits of linkers to determine. That will take time and a lot of matches to be able to react without entirely guessing. One thing I would recommend is to go into practice mode and just do combos with all the characters, even ones you have no intention of playing, just so you can see what the different strengths of their moves perform. Trying to break attacks when you don't even know how they're supposed to look is a pain and forces you to guess.

Two times this week I have got this great "jail" icon because of stupid RQ that can't stand to lose.... Hate it.

Before it was simply about my winning quote. Now I'm actually hampered in playing the game because of those jerks. The patch made things worse :(

And my Sadira get's beaten up a lot now :( Players are getting better or I'm getting worse as I drop so many of my combos now *hm*

Kriaser

And my Sadira get's beaten up a lot now :( Players are getting better or I'm getting worse as I drop so many of my combos now *hm*

Make sure you aren't trying to cancel normals into specials too fast. The game does allow you plenty of input time, so make sure you aren't mashing and panicking trying to finish the combo.

.la1n

Congrats to KI for making EVO, just don't break the game before the tournament and not get a fix out on time.

.la1n

Hopefully it's enough motivation for them to get working on it. I really haven't played much this week because nothing saves :/

I have barely played it. It's such a glitchy, laggy, broken mess right now I don't feel like it. I want to learn Spinal but it's not worth it to have the game freeze on me every few matches.

I've stopped playing this week too. It was actually going well for me at the beginning, was able to get in plenty of Spinal matches on Ranked and Exhibition. A few days later though and I start experiencing a lot of the same issues everyone else has. I've stopped going online the past few days, been doing Survival matches here and there. At least I've unlocked the viking beard for Spinal. Also at 135 fight titles for him, so 15 more to go to get that gold color.

brettreyu

I have barely played it. It's such a glitchy, laggy, broken mess right now I don't feel like it. I want to learn Spinal but it's not worth it to have the game freeze on me every few matches.

Thats kind of how I feel after the last few weeks of online. I've just been in training mode and grinding trials/achievements non stop. Thats not the worst thing in the world but it would be nice to get back to a playable online match every once and a while. Maybe Double Helix being off of the game won't be so bad after all.

Pollux

Still playing against the computer until I get the hang of it, but god damn this game is fun. Between this and Forza I'm not going to have to buy another game for months. I'm even thinking of canceling my Titanfall pre-order.

DrDogg

That was the official Microsoft response

DH stated that the core team would remain on the title though. That makes me think that MS will either form a new studio with them or just add them to an existing studio and continue development.

Microsoft sponsoring EVO and not having season 2 out until July would be a pretty big letdown.

I always expected season two to be officially teased at Evo. I'm thinking we'll get a minor tease with Fulgore's gameplay trailer, then at Evo we get maybe the reveal trailer for the first three characters or something. I expect characters to start rolling out as early as July or August.

brettreyu

DH stated that the core team would remain on the title though. That makes me think that MS will either form a new studio with them or just add them to an existing studio and continue development.

I always expected season two to be officially teased at Evo. I'm thinking we'll get a minor tease with Fulgore's gameplay trailer, then at Evo we get maybe the reveal trailer for the first three characters or something. I expect characters to start rolling out as early as July or August.

Good to know. That makes sense, unless season 2 characters were in the can it would be hard to get them all out in only a few months. Hopefully KI can keep up momentum through EVO, get season 2 out, and then have a great showing in 2015.

bumpkin

I hope you're right. That'd be sweet!

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
Two times this week I have got this great "jail" icon because of stupid RQ that can't stand to lose.... Hate it.

Before it was simply about my winning quote. Now I'm actually hampered in playing the game because of those jerks. The patch made things worse :(

Same here, I main Sadira and a dropped combo is brutal....especially with all the sabrewulf players I get matched with. I cannot stand sabrewulf...

add me guys: nigDASTARDLY

Sydle

Really?! Source?

Makes me very happy if true.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Really?! Source?

Makes me very happy if true.

The KI team at MS is working on continuing the game. From the statements from DH employees yesterday, it looks like DH and all it's staff are off the project, which is why MS announced there will be a new development staff.

The folks at MS were there to help design elements in the game and get the project started, but the actual programming, art, gameplay design, balancing, music and sound was done at DH. What's even crazier is that KI was developed on Double Helix's own engine, Hex Engine.

Now whatever dev MS chooses to make KI season 2, is going to have to learn a completely alien programming/graphics engine to continue development on KI.

I can almost guarantee you guys, we're not going to see anything new for the game past Season 1, until mid 2015.

The KI team at MS is working on continuing the game. From the statements from DH employees yesterday, it looks like DH and all it's staff are off the project, which is why MS announced there will be a new development staff.

The folks at MS were there to help design elements in the game and get the project started, but the actual programming, art, gameplay design, balancing, music and sound was done at DH. What's even crazier is that KI was developed on Double Helix's own engine, Hex Engine.

Now whatever dev MS chooses to make KI season 2, is going to have to learn a completely alien programming/graphics engine to continue development on KI.

I can almost guarantee you guys, we're not going to see anything new for the game past Season 1, until mid 2015.

thats a lot more optimistic than I am :/

February Pin Ultimate Challenge!

http://launchworks.net/killer-instinct/2014/02/february-pin-ultimate-challenge/

Here's how it works:

0) Remember that the Pins promotion only applies to owners of the KI Pin Ultimate Edition.

1) Record yourself getting a SUPREME Victory on a Ranked Match. You have to record the entire match, from beginning (characters being presented) to end (SUPREME victory call out).

2) Learn the ins-and-outs of UPLOAD Studio and edit your video to be as awesome as possible.

3) Upload the video to your Skydrive and get a shareable link. 4) Copy that Skydrive link on the subject line of an email to kinst@microsoft.com.

4) On the message body, explain to us in one paragraph why your SUPREME victory is more SUPREME than anyone else's. VERY IMPORTANT: You need to use the same email account that you provided in the Pin Promotion registration form OR the one that you use to log into your Microsoft Account. Submissions from other accounts will not match our records and will not be considered.

We will select 5 insanely cool submissions to also get a promo code to the Glacius Pin, this month's awesome character pin (usually only available for purchase - see image on the side). This challenge ends February 26 at 12:00PM PST. Submissions after that will be disregarded.

FtPakXd.jpg

I want that Glacius pin!

.la1n

If we are looking at 2015 for more content then we can probably safely assume the game will be dead by then. Unfortunate.

.la1n

That is more support than most games,by then enough content will be there so it will be replayable for years.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. Most games have double the content (or more) than this game when released. This is a game that was intentionally released bare bones with the idea that there would be continual updates. Having such a large gap between the completion of the season one content and new content will effectively kill the entire point of the game as a service model.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I wouldn't go as far as to say that. Most games have double the content (or more) than this game when released. This is a game that was intentionally released bare bones with the idea that there would be continual updates. Having such a large gap between the completion of the season one content and new content will effectively kill the entire point of the game as a service model.

Nailed it.

Sydle

I misinterpreted his post to mean the core DH team was staying on. I'm familiar with the internal KI team, but thank you for the clarification! (Also, enjoyed watching you play Spinal last night and you're a great commentator)

I'm a little more optimistic than you on the time frame, because DH managed to design and build the game in about a year. The foundational principles and framework are there, along with the essential archetypes, and it's all been very well received. It's a matter of the new dev getting familiar with the code base, layering in new archetypes, and introducing new characters without breaking the balance of the game. I know, easier said than done, and maybe I'm being naive, but it seems as if the hardest part is over if they're handing it to a competent dev team.

I'm also being a little optimistic that some character and stage blue prints for updating Cinder, TJ Combo, Riptor, etc. were already underway and can be transferred over. I imagine that Lobb, Goddard, Isgreen, Retig, Fornace, the 2 former competitive SFIV players, etc. were involved in character design anyway and whatever assets are available are all MS property. If they focus the new team on just learning the code base while trickling out season 2 over the next 18 months then so be it, but they can't wait until mid 2015 to release 8 more characters, it would lose too much momentum.

Hopefully we learn more soon as Spencer suggested.

shakex

I think people are freaking out a little to prematurely. When Double Helix was announced as the developers, everyone and their mother bashed them and then the game turned out okay!

I will wait for the new development team to be announced and most importantly, the first video showcasing season 2. I think It is at that point where people could panic if it doesn't turn out to be a clusterfuck. Until then, I'm waiting for what's in store for KI!

Also, I don't disagree that season 2 won't be released until 2015. I just hope its way before EVO2015!

.la1n

I misinterpreted his post to mean the core DH team was staying on. I'm familiar with the internal KI team, but thank you for the clarification! (Also, enjoyed watching you play Spinal last night and you're a great commentator)

I'm a little more optimistic than you on the time frame, because DH managed to design and build the game in about a year. The foundational principles and framework is there, along with the essential archetypes, and it's all been very well received. It's a matter of the new dev getting familiar with the code base, layering in new archetypes, and introducing new characters without breaking the balance of the game. I know, easier said than done, and maybe I'm being naive, but it seems as if the hardest part is over if they're handing it to a competent dev team.

I'm also being a little optimistic that some character and stage blue prints for updating Cinder, TJ Combo, Riptor, etc. were already underway and can be transferred over. I imagine that Lobb, Goddard, Isgreen, Retig, Fornace, etc. were involved in character design anyway and whatever assets are available are all MS property.

Hopefully we learn more soon as Spencer suggested.

Unfortunately it's not anywhere close to that easy. A new developer will require a significant amount of time to become familiar with the tools being used in Killer Instinct's development. Unless the new team has been in place working alongside DH for a few months now (obviously not likely.)

There's also the other side of this where we get a dev that just rush releases things and we end up with a mess. It's incredibly hard to remain optimistic about the future of KI when we're essentially sitting on a buggy game right now, and Microsoft is remaining tightlipped on the plans after Double Helix leaves.

:(

Sydle

Unfortunately it's not anywhere close to that easy. A new developer will require a significant amount of time to become familiar with the tools being used in Killer Instinct's development. Unless the new team has been in place working alongside DH for a few months now (obviously not likely.) The only way I can see anything positive coming from this in the short term is if Double Helix was already contracted to do a season 2 before they were bought by Amazon. That is the only best case scenario of this news.

The internal KI team - Ken Lobb, James Goddard, Adam Isgreen, Shawn Retig, and Daniel Fornace, and the former SFIV professional players have all been very close to KI's development, helping design the game, oversee development, and play builds. Some of them are seasoned developers (e.g., Lobb, Goddard). They aren't going to be completely ignorant to the way it has been built. And it's MS, with a well received IP, so if they have to buy something or license it they absolutely have the resources to do so (read: they just bought a huge IP from Epic). You think Amazon is going to turn down easy Microsoft money when they don't even have a console out?

I think the worst that will happen is that we don't see another character or two until the Fall and then they trickle out a character every couple of months thereafter.

I think the most realistic best case scenario is that Amazon allows MS to pay a handsome ransom to license the engine and tools, as well as get a few of the essential core DH team to help make the transition as quick and painless as possible by a certain date. Amazon probably isn't launching a new DH game for at least a year, so why not make easy money off a handful of devs right now while they determine what they're gonna make and at least get a design doc underway?

shakex

If Microsoft can't approach the DH KI team members because there Amazon Employees, what could happen and would be awesome is if some of them such such as Bau, Filthie, Mike, and who ever quit Amazon/Double Helix! They would then start their own studio (with some under the table assistance from Microsoft) and continue to be the developers for KI.

Khezu

I think my biggest worry about this whole situation is what the new team is going to do to the game.

They could have a very different vision of balance, mechanics, and how to create characters then DH did.

Even just small tweaks could potentially change the game in many major ways.

But the worst part is that this is a completely digital only game, if the new devs vision makes KI worse, it's permanent, you won't ever be able to get DH's version of the game again, you could simply not update your xbox ever again, but you wouldn't be able to play online anymore.

This all really sucks.

Sydle

I think my biggest worry about this whole situation is what the new team is going to do to the game.

They could have a very different vision of balance, mechanics, and how to create characters then DH did.

Even just small tweaks could potentially change the game in many major ways.

But the worst part is that this is a completely digital only game, if the new devs vision makes KI worse, it's permanent, you won't ever be able to get DH's version of the game again, you could simply not update your xbox ever again, but you wouldn't be able to play online anymore.

This all really sucks.

There was a team of 6-7 internal MS people, including Ken Lobb and James Goddard, who helped design the game. Additionally, MS has at least 2 former SFIV competitive players on staff, and they've consulted with a few other competitive FG players as well.

Like I said, the foundation is in place and there is a sizable team of FG experts within MS who understand that foundation and why KI works.

Top Bottom