• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

brettreyu

It seems that while I was absent from this thread someone else decided to use this avatar as well, lol.

As excited as I was for Spinal originally, I am just not jiving with him at all. I'm having a hell of a time opening people up and not getting my ass punished. I pretty much know which moves of his are unsafe, but I feel like it leaves him lacking in options.

My bad, I'll go back to Marshawn Lynch ultimate victory pop off.

Kriaser

It seems that while I was absent from this thread someone else decided to use this avatar as well, lol.

As excited as I was for Spinal originally, I am just not jiving with him at all. I'm having a hell of a time opening people up and not getting my ass punished. I pretty much know which moves of his are unsafe, but I feel like it leaves him lacking in options.
I've been posting spinal tips off and on in this thread but no one seems to take mind to them and just talk about amazon buying DH.

If you or anyone else actually reads those tips, I'll post more. I just felt like I was talking to myself.

.la1n

With the Xbox One update coming later this week instead of today I wonder if that means we should expect to see the Killer Instinct update this week as well or if that will push it until next week?

I just want to play ranked again DH pls :(

I've been posting spinal tips off and on in this thread but no one seems to take mind to them and just talk about amazon buying DH.

If you or anyone else actually reads those tips, I'll post more. I just felt like I was talking to myself.

Just because people do not quote your post does not mean they are not being read. If everyone replied "thanks" every time someone posted tips in here we would be flooded with post that add nothing to the thread.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

There's a certain type of opponent I have a hard time fighting with him (those who strongly assert their frame and poke dominance, basically), but otherwise, I'm really gel'n with him. Dash up into throw is so very KoF, and works if you can make people fear button presses. Crouching HP is a pretty nice anti-air, and it'll frustrate people into using specials to cross the screen / close the gap, which can all be shield absorbed to your advantage.

Medium -> Searing skull -> Medium -> Searing skull is a nice frametrap series that people seem to fall for often, especially if you take the risk to launch the low projectile every once in a while. Noone expects to block low in such a situation, and if they do, you toss in an overhead... if that's blocked, cancel into shield bash to remain safe, and if it lands, you're starting a combo!

Dash up Crouching weak kick is also a nice "SURPRISE, I'M IN!" way to open up the ones you've spooked. then Directly up-back Jump, and if they do anything Non-DP (which will get you), it's time to use that divekick to start those combos.

Anyone discover any kara throws in KI yet?

The devs seemed pretty safe in saying there were none back when the game was releasing. Since moves only seem cancellable on hit (besides instinct cancelling?), there seems to be very little ability to cancel the movement of normal into specials / throws.

There's so little talk of the game as it is, and so much complaining and speculation, that the thread's not really worth reading as is, until things are back to normal. So it's really easy to see past an informative post, due to the other clutter.

I will say thanks to you and Dogg though, for talkin' a good amount about Spinal. I have enjoyed seeing the emerging ideas whenever visiting.

You using light skeleport and slide kicks to get in close and then overhead/low mix ups? Also use heavies cancelled into things like searing skull, boneshaker, etc. to start building up your skulls.

Once you have skulls then start whiff punishing, using heavy skeleport cancelled into any special attack for the cost of one skull. Continue using mix ups to keep your opponent on a blocking guessing game. Also steal their shadow meter. Once you have meter you can use a shadow skeleport, which is invulnerable to everything (even throws). It's all about confusing your opponent's defense and putting the pressure on, so if you're not great at reading your opponent's strategy and varying your game on the fly then he may not be a great fit for you.

I'm pretty sure I've been thrown out of Shadow Skeleport,startup unfortunately.

One thing to add is that the amount of meter Spinal can steal really allows him to use Instinct much more freely than other characters. It's not unlikely to pop 2 instincts + in rounds where you can land enough breakers.

However, the fact his lvl 4 Skeleport ender leaves them grounded for SO long also makes it a prime candidate to instinct cancel out of to start another combo.

Other ender tricks:

- Lvl 4 shadow searing skull ender in corner: Crouch HP cancel into Medium Searing skull. Nice way to tag on shadow depletion after round end.

- After high level spectral sword ender, if you insta-slide, you'll end up on the opposite side of the opponent, in point-blank range. Just another aggressive tool besides using skulls on wakeup,

- Of course, Wall bounce ender into Run up and throw. Also a good way to end a round with resource strengthening.

- Don't forget curses can be stuck between rounds. It's the polar opposite of Jago popping instinct on a dying opponent so he can safely do long combos in order to regain life.

- I personally suggest using those heavy Ghostly Manuals to cross an opponent around the screen if they die mid combo in round 1. They really make it easy for you to dictate the opponents position, and corner enders offer nice options.

DrDogg

OMG I'm so sick of ranked rage quiters right now. It never fails, win a tough match and they quit during my victory ultra smh.

The jail system sucks!

Are you doing a full Ultra? I find it very frustrating when I have to sit and watch an Ultra Combo... especially after a close match. I just want to move on to the next match. I don't rage quit at all, but I wish there was a way to exit back to the match search once the Ultra starts.

Spinal definitely lacks options when he doesn't have skulls (SP). I think as the game evolves, his only option to really open people up without SP will be tick throws. The overhead is slow enough to block on-reaction or even interrupt if the opponent is mashing. Dive Kick is unsafe AND can be blocked crouching (seriously? why?), and while the Slide Kick is relatively fast, all of Spinal's overhead options are slow enough to never worry about blocking high until you see something that warrants it.

I basically use light Skeleport tricks to bait an opponent into whiffing so I can open them up and get some skulls. Unfortunately, that becomes a big guessing game when the opponent knows how to deal with it.

You using light skeleport and slide kicks to get in close and then overhead/low mix ups? Also use heavies cancelled into things like searing skull, boneshaker, etc. to start building up your skulls.

Once you have skulls then start whiff punishing, using heavy skeleport cancelled into any special attack for the cost of one skull. Continue using mix ups to keep your opponent on a blocking guessing game. Also steal their shadow meter. Once you have meter you can use a shadow skeleport, which is invulnerable to everything (even throws). It's all about confusing your opponent's defense and putting the pressure on, so if you're not great at reading your opponent's strategy and varying your game on the fly then he may not be a great fit for you.

I think Shadow Skeleport is terrible for anything other than baiting an anti-air when you need that extra bit of damage to finish the opponent off. It's easy to block or evade, and super unsafe on block. I'd much rather be able to use the normal Skeleports in the air.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Are you doing a full Ultra? I find it very frustrating when I have to sit and watch an Ultra Combo... especially after a close match. I just want to move on to the next match. I don't rage quit at all, but I wish there was a way to exit back to the match search once the Ultra starts.

Eh, I'm perfectly happy to watch an opponent exibit his well-earned chance to show off after a win. If they miss something, it's one last chance for me to laugh at them, even if I did lose. It's not like every opponent does a 2 min ultra per each win anywho; most end their ultras with enders in fear of rage quits, or because they also want to get to the next match ASAP.

The overhead is slow enough to block on-reaction or even interrupt if the opponent is mashing.

Isn't this basically true of almost every command overhead in any game, though? Command OH's are usually "slow", save for Insta-air stuff like Leona's Neutral j.D or Yoga-Sniper, which are massively punishable in tradeoff. And Spinal's can be safely cancelled into a special, which most safer options can't.

(And Spinal's OH is suppose to be a frame faster than Jago's, lol.) At 17 frames, it has the same start-up time as Ryo's in KoF XIII, and is apparently 2 frame faster than Kyo's. Which are far from useless in that game.

Dive Kick is unsafe AND can be blocked crouching (seriously? why?)

I think they very clearly want it to be a viable reactionary option, rather than an overpowered pressure tool. Does anyone in this game have instant-jump overheads that can lead to ground combos? I could understand it being an OH in a game with instant flight cancels and command hops, but for this KI, they'd have to restrict it's height usage a LOT more if they were to make the move an overhead.

I think Shadow Skeleport is terrible for anything other than baiting an anti-air when you need that extra bit of damage to finish the opponent off. It's easy to block or evade, and super unsafe on block. I'd much rather be able to use the normal Skeleports in the air.

I agree that it's a pretty terrible reversal and all. Though being able to use it as an anywhere-on-screen punish for whenever the opponent does anything that roots+has startup, is pretty nice.

I think giving him normal tele in the air would be a bit much, especially with the skulls allowing instant special cancels out of tele. I do think it'd be pretty cool if they allowed skull use to Tele-cancel out of Divekick on block, however.

Enordash

Thanks, everyone, for responding. I'll give the suggestions a try. If anyone wants to play sometime, add me: WM Enordash

Izuna

Banned
Someone please tell Maximilian to make a combo video using the Noob CPU trick. You can infinitely counter break them on the second attack of a heavy and you can do this to get about a 200 hit combo before doing an Ultra.

Best character to try this is Spinal, as you can do a Heavy -> Counter Breaker -> Heavy, wait, HP Sword Swipe, Heavy, wait, HP Sword Swipe -> Counter Break 3rd Hit and repeat. ��

The Flash

Banned
Is the Ultra Edition worth getting? I got the Combo Edition but I really want to play the first KI and I wouldn't mind getting some the accessories either.

Kriaser

Is the Ultra Edition worth getting? I got the Combo Edition but I really want to play the first KI and I wouldn't mind getting some the accessories either.
I bought ultra. I wanted to throw more money at DH for this great game but im not interested in the pins. The accessories arent anything special aside from eye candy. I dont even use them outside of sabrewulfs. And having the original KI is neat but nothing i couldnt emulate.

Ultra and pin editions are suppose to get new characters a week early too i thought?

.la1n

As someone who loved the original games and enjoy the new game quite a bit, I still would not recommend spending the extra money on Ultra unless you just have money burning a hole in your pocket. The original arcade game emulation is nothing special and the ultra edition accessory packs / classic costumes are mostly crap to be honest. I would look at screen shots to decide whether you would use them.

I bought ultra. I wanted to throw more money at DH for this great game but im not interested in the pins. The accessories arent anything special aside from eye candy. I dont even use them outside of sabrewulfs. And having the original KI is neat but nothing i couldnt emulate.

Ultra and pin editions are suppose to get new characters a week early too i thought?

So far Ultra and Combo packs have received content at the same time.

hwalker84

There's no upgrade path yet so you will end up spending $40 more for a total of $60.

I think it's worth it.

4th Slot of Accessories for new look
Classic Costumes with 3 accessory packs
KI Classic

bumpkin

Finally bought this yesterday after getting my XB1. Can't wait to finally dive in.
From the sound of it, you might be better off not doing ultras on people you beat when playing matches online. If they rage quit, you both end up in jail right now.

A great idea marred by flawed execution. A shame too, 'cuz it was nice seeing a dev actually do something to punish poor sports.

The Flash

Banned
There's no upgrade path yet so you will end up spending $40 more for a total of $60.

I think it's worth it.

4th Slot of Accessories for new look
Classic Costumes with 3 accessory packs
KI Classic

Which is totally bogus. I'd gladly pay another $20 to upgrade to the Ultra Edition. Right now I'm working on getting a bunch of Bing points and then cashing them in for XBL credit. I've got $6 so far.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member

Yeah, I can understand that and I can see how sitting through the full ultra can seem a little demeaning, but thems the breaks! lol

If I have to slog through a match of Jago/Sabrewulf rush spam then they can sit through an Ultra of me dominating them and actually using some type of skill to overcome the buttonmashing.

And really, I don't know why it counts as a 'rage quit' when the match is basically won anyway...why am I in jail again?

.la1n

The ranking system seems to have been tweaked from what I can tell from playing last night. I am getting matched with different ranks again although I still get paired with the same players sometimes three or four matches in a row. I assume a full patch may hit today or tomorrow.

The Flash

Banned
Twitch stream today!

1206169768640.gif

.la1n

There will be a stream I am sure, there won't be any comments about the insane happenings I am sure as well.

I really wish Microsoft would go ahead and let us know what is happening. It's almost as if they don't even have a development team in place yet and are just doing damage control (not surprising if true.) I also have a feeling they really weren't expecting this transition and had not prepared for it, otherwise I feel like a better press statement would have been issued around the time we got the news of DH moving to Amazon game studios.

derFeef

Well it's not all bad since they have this new guy as KI CM and hired a few new people - for ???.
But yeah, transparency would be highly welcome going forward, even if season 1 is not finished yet.

Kyzon

Sooooo I accidentally bought an xbone due to my tax return, lol.
This game is beast, but I'm scrubbing really hard.

It's true that old sticks won't work, right?
Spinal isn't for beginners is he? lol
Why are Glacial's two black costumes so good?

brettreyu

Sooooo I accidentally bought an xbone due to my tax return, lol.
This game is beast, but I'm scrubbing really hard.

It's true that old sticks won't work, right?
Spinal isn't for beginners is he? lol
Why is Glacial's two black costumes so good?

Correct, Razor is making one but right now the Madcatz TE2 is the only one. You can padhack though, people have done it. I think some speak highly of the Cronus Max converter as well.

Nope. Jago and Orchid are my choice for beginners. Orchid's normals are awesome and Jago is special move spam king.

Kyzon

Correct, Razor is making one but right now the Madcatz TE2 is the only one. You can padhack though, people have done it. I think some speak highly of the Cronus Max converter as well.

Nope. Jago and Orchid are my choice for beginners. Orchid's normals are awesome and Jago is special move spam king.

Hmm, I may hack my current stick further. It's already primed for 360 and PS3.

I'll check out those sticks you mentioned. Maybe one will fit my fancy.

I'm not doing as well with Jago as I'd like, but Orchid comes nicely.
Sabrewulf and Glacius are really turning out nicely for me, though. I am pleased with this game.

bumpkin

I like the Cronus Max so far. My only complaints are having to connect an XB1 pad before plugging in your stick every time, and the weird intermittent issue I have with my stick becoming unresponsive every half hour or so (unplugging it and plugging it back in fixes it). Not sure if the latter is related to it not having the stock PCB though; it's modded with a PS360+.

.la1n

I do like listening to Adam talk, he seems like he really does have a love for Killer Instinct. He should be handling press for the game from now on.

Spades

I think both him and Ken Lobb are great.

Ditto.

For those who missed the stream:

Below are the highlights from today’s Killer Instinct stream from Play XBLA…

• Fulgore has a lot more zoning tools
  • reconfirms that a patch is in the works to fix jail and other issues following last month’s update
  • When asked about the future of KI with the loss of Double Helix, Microsoft says to keep the faith and that they are dedicated to the franchise.
  • Lobbies still in the works. Will not be in the next patch
  • Fulgore has much of his returning moves from the original games
  • New Ultras for characters are under consideration
  • Fulgore is still a cyborg; he is not a full-on robot
  • Very excited about KI going to EVO this year
  • Working on an official soundtrack release
  • There will be another Killer Instinct panel at EVO
  • Will ensure that KI will maintain its same style and everything with the new developer
  • Reiterates that guest characters are far off into the future. They’re more focused on bringing back old characters and introducing new characters first
  • Cannot confirm if we’ll be receiving a re-release of KI 2. Said they are very dedicated to the franchise, so a potential hint that it may happen.
  • There will not be achievements for every character in story mode
  • There will be more KI merchandise in the future

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/highlights-from-the-killer-instinct-stream-021314/

LTWheels

So Dan is still on the team and the new team is probably a fighting game developer. I smell Skullgirls dev?

Aren't they very small. They contract and outscource the drawing/colouring of the sprites in Skullgirls. Can't see them being able to do 3D models.

How crazy would it be if it ended up being Arcs?

.la1n

I think both him and Ken Lobb are great.

Oh yeah Ken is a great guy too, and he is a big supporter of Riptor so he's alright in my book. Fulgore sounds like he is going to be a lot of fun to play, can't wait for story mode as well. I hate that the patch to fix the last batch of issues is taking so long but surely it will be out tomorrow or next week at the latest.

I did get a chuckle out of the stream chat when they reiterated "new content every week." I admit I almost spit out my drink. I suppose if you don't specify what content means then they technically aren't lying.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sadira is the freebie chara now, and Jago's Retro is up for separate purchase on the Marketplace now, btw.

Thanks for the Re-Cap, I totally missed the stream because of Nintendo Direct, haha.

I really don't know what western fight dev could really work on this game. What do we have besides NR? Lab Zero seems too busy to count.

It's going to be hard to believe a new team can perfectly follow up on DH's particular strengths, and I really don't find their weaknesses so grievous that I'd like to gamble with losing what works for a few changes.

.la1n

Did they answer my question about the Spinal glitch where's he's unable to counter break when a combo starts from the dive kick?

I only caught the end of the stream because I was watching the Nintendo Direct so I am not sure if it was brought up. I do know it has been posted on their forums so they are probably aware of it.

Khezu

How many western fighting game devs are there?

It obviously can't be NRS or Lab Zero.

The only other one I can think of is Kung Fu Factory.

I guess there is also Iron Galaxy..... they did make an exclusive xbox game that one time, so they might have good standing with MS.

Any weird Indie fighting game devs?

Top Bottom