• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

brettreyu

Theres a lot of speculation in the "Amazon buys DH" thread about who now owns the engine, if Microsoft will start from scratch on a new KI game, and so on.

I don't see Microsoft spending the money and resources on developing a brand new engine for another KI. I'm sure this has been known about for months. My guess is Microsoft pays Amazon for the use of Double Helix's time and people to finish out season 2 by "summer 2014" and in the mean time Microsoft finds a new partner to proceed with season 3 or a new KI game.

Spades

So just a quick update from my KI learning experience: I’m about half-way through the dojo now and seem to love the game more every time I learn something new. One thing I’m learning though is that there is a LOT to take in. After the highs of last week (learning how to Ultra in the dojo and pulling off my first Ultra online), I’m finding now that I’ve barely scratched the surface. It’s starting to become clear that learning offense is only the start and after my Combo Breaker lesson, learning some defence is going to be critical as well.

I still feel like the moves I pull off are more from memory than reactive based at the moment, but I’m sure that’ll come with time. I’ve only used Jago so far as well but I’m thinking of trying some Orchid this weekend.

One thing is for sure, I’m really glad I waited until I got the TE2 before I played this game. I love it.

.la1n

I kind of agree, though I'm still hoping MS at least managed to keep some of the core DH guys who designed the fighting engine.

To me DH's biggest weak points were art direction. I said in the other thread that though Fulgore and Spinal look incredible I really havnt been satisfied with a lot of the designs in this game..particularly new/old Sabrewulf, the classic costumes, accessories and UI. A little new blood here may not be a bad thing.

Most likely the core DH guys behind the game will not be at Microsoft. That is not a practice generally seen with third party agreements when working on games for one of the big three. It's the "KI team" from Microsoft that will are still left to work with whoever the new development crew is and honestly that will be perfectly fine. The real fighting game history and talent came from those guys to begin with and they will still be there.

I also highly doubt this will cause any delays going forward. If anything it would mean we would see Season 2 being done quicker. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a team able to out pace Double Helix's turn around on content. Might even end up with patches that do not break the game.

brettreyu

Most likely the core DH guys behind the game will not be at Microsoft. That is not a practice generally seen with third party agreements when working on games for one of the big three. It's the "KI team" from Microsoft that will are still left to work with whoever the new development crew is and honestly that will be perfectly fine. The real fighting game history and talent came from those guys to begin with and they will still be there.

I also highly doubt this will cause any delays going forward. If anything it would mean we would see Season 2 being done quicker. It shouldn't be too difficult to find a team able to out pace Double Helix's turn around on content. Might even end up with patches that do not break the game.

Worth it right there. Worst case scenario is season 2 never happens. An 8 character fighting game is just not viable long term.

.la1n

Worth it right there. Worst case scenario is season 2 never happens. An 8 character fighting game is just not viable long term.

Season 2 is a definite at this point. They aren't going to go to the trouble of bringing on a new developer if they don't have a long term plan for the game. It also shows that it has been a successful endeavor for them financially.

.la1n

I just want to know who the new developer is. Can't help but be nervous after the Bungie to 343i transition.

At least in this case we still have the big guns there to lead whoever the new developer is. 343i did not have that luxury as most of the key staff on Halo had left with Bungie.

.la1n

Is there supposed to be a stream today?

Yes there should be a stream today, haven't seen any twitter updates indicating otherwise but it's still early. Fixes to the previous patch should be out today as well I would think.

Kriaser

It amazes me how good some people are at first hit counter breakers, yet their overall meta game isn't that amazing.

Basically, I end up landing around 5x more combos per game against some people, they're just amazing at rock paper scissors though.

bumpkin

Need to know more.

Is DaveV, Berzerker Mike, Filthie, Campbell, the art and sound team... are they there? I believe one of the things why I like this game so much is going to suffer in the future.
Hopefully they'll be at liberty to tell us more information during the stream today. If what I've heard and read is to be believed, nothing about the rest of KI on XB1 is going to change. The Amazon acquisition doesn't affect any commitments DH has already signed up for. All we have to hope is that season two was inked and all the "We'll see how season one goes" talk was just them not wanting to spill the beans early.

I'm totally okay with a new developer picking up work on KI; so long as it's for a sequel, not the current game. I want DH to helm the rest of season one and all of season two. From there, I don't really care. I mean yeah, I don't want a follow-up to suck, but I like everything DH has done and want to see what they do with the rest of their plans.

.la1n

Seems like i can't play ranked anymore, been 20 minutes, can't find a match, same shit last night

fuck

Yeah online is almost completely broken since the last two patches. I had hoped we'd see a fix or at least an update from the team on when to expect it today but it's business as usual: silence.

bumpkin

Seems like i can't play ranked anymore, been 20 minutes, can't find a match, same shit last night

fuck
Speaking of which, if anyone wants to send me a friend request, I'm definitely looking for some people to play against. I'm a pretty average player, don't typically get salty; at least not to the point of rage quitting.

My GT is DaveB1980

Spades

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to send me a friend request, I'm definitely looking for some people to play against. I'm a pretty average player, don't typically get salty; at least not to the point of rage quitting.

My GT is DaveB1980

Just added you. I'm a complete beginner to not only KI but fighting games in general. Trying to learn as I go. My tag is Block Mate.

brettreyu

If they didn't have anything positive to say, they didn't say anything at all.

Truly a monumental step for Microsoft's PR department.

.la1n

Honestly I don't even care about the stream but a comment on fixing the game would be nice. I don't even care about Fulgore, story mode, lobbies or any other news related to the game. Just fix the mess from Spinal's release. What happened to "With the Xbox One we can fix major bugs without needing to wait for a title update." That panned out real well didn't it. It's nice you got the character out in January but does it really matter when using him breaks the game. Online matches have become a nightmare thanks to lag. Ranked is a complete joke.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Honestly I don't even care about the stream but a comment on fixing the game would be nice. I don't even care about Fulgore, story mode, lobbies or anything other news related to the game. Just fix the mess from Spinal's release. What happened to "With the Xbox One we can fix major bugs without needing to wait for a title update." That panned out real well didn't it.

nah, they said they can fix game balance issues without needing a TU

Canceling this stream really bugs me. MS better give some sort of real statement explaining what the hell is going on. This hurts consumer confidence in the product to come.

Requiem

My GT is DaveB1980

Just added you. I'm a complete beginner to not only KI but fighting games in general. Trying to learn as I go. My tag is Block Mate.

Gonna add both you guys as well...need some sparing partners

Gamertag: Requiem1911 for anyone who wants to get some matches in with me :D

DrDogg

Why is everyone so concerned about DH being bought by Amazon? They were never owned by MS in the first place. They were always a 3rd party developler. The fact that Amazon now owns them doesn't mean anything, especially given the statements made by Amazon that their current projects would continue.

In the worst case, the Amazon Android console happens, and all teams at DH except the KI team start working on Android games. I don't see why this is such a big concern...

Also, the weekly stream is from Seattle, which is why it's always MS employees and not DH employees.

Why is everyone so concerned about DH being bought by Amazon? They were never owned by MS in the first place. They were always a 3rd party developler. The fact that Amazon now owns them doesn't mean anything, especially given the statements made by Amazon that their current projects would continue.

In the worst case, the Amazon Android console happens, and all teams at DH except the KI team start working on Android games. I don't see why this is such a big concern...

Also, the weekly stream is from Seattle, which is why it's always MS employees and not DH employees.

"We have thoroughly enjoyed working with Double Helix and wish them success in their next endeavor. We want all of our loyal fans to know that the Killer Instinct team at Microsoft is not changing and that the franchise will remain with Microsoft Studios. We remain dedicated to delivering a great experience and plan to announce our new development partner soon. We're excited about the future of this popular franchise."

That was the official Microsoft response

brettreyu

whats wrong with that? seems fine to me.

Two ways you can look at it

1 - They have to find somebody new soon because Double Helix left unexpectedly and are only contractually obligated to finish Fulgore leaving them with a huge void.

2 - They have Double Helix working on season 2 and the rest of season 1, they'll try and get it out ASAP, and they want to announce a development partner for what happens after season 2.

I lean towards 2.

Two ways you can look at it

1 - They have to find somebody new soon because Double Helix left unexpectedly and are only contractually obligated to finish Fulgore leaving them with a huge void.

2 - They have Double Helix working on season 2 and the rest of season 1, they'll try and get it out ASAP, and they want to announce a development partner for what happens after season 2.

I lean towards 2.

Phil seemed to know in advance that this was going to happen. Ken will be there for sure so as long as he is there things will be fine. Maybe those partners are people who left DH to stay with KI.

Top Bottom