• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

brettreyu

I would think the bigger issue is the game engine. DH created it themselves, right?

Yes but nobody knows for sure who owns it. Its very likely that Microsoft owns the rights to use it as they see fit moving forward, if not they fucked up bad.

I'm a little more optimistic than most even though I know Max probably has some inside info from talking to the Double Helix guys and being involved with the game from a PR level this much.

The KI team at Microsoft is important for keeping the game going and its not like Microsoft has a lot of other avenues to invest in for the Xbox One. They have "fuck all" money and could easily hire a bunch of hot shots to learn the engine and start working on it.

Yes but nobody knows for sure who owns it. Its very likely that Microsoft owns the rights to use it as they see fit moving forward, if not they fucked up bad.

I'm a little more optimistic than most even though I know Max probably has some inside info from talking to the Double Helix guys and being involved with the game from a PR level this much.

The KI team at Microsoft is important for keeping the game going and its not like Microsoft has a lot of other avenues to invest in for the Xbox One. They have "fuck all" money and could easily hire a bunch of hot shots to learn the engine and start working on it.

money and talent doesn't always solve problems.

DrDogg

The KI team at MS is working on continuing the game. From the statements from DH employees yesterday, it looks like DH and all it's staff are off the project, which is why MS announced there will be a new development staff.

The folks at MS were there to help design elements in the game and get the project started, but the actual programming, art, gameplay design, balancing, music and sound was done at DH. What's even crazier is that KI was developed on Double Helix's own engine, Hex Engine.

Now whatever dev MS chooses to make KI season 2, is going to have to learn a completely alien programming/graphics engine to continue development on KI.

I can almost guarantee you guys, we're not going to see anything new for the game past Season 1, until mid 2015.

Let's be frank here. If we don't get additional KI content (post-Fulgore) before mid-2015, the game is dead. Either that won't be the case, or MS has plans to make a full KI and simply release that in 2015 or beyond.

Even if everyone at DHG moves to Amazon, Fulgore is pretty close to being done. I'd wager at least 2-3 season two characters have a base model and move set. It doesn't take a year to learn a new engine, especially when all you're doing is building off an existing platform. Look at how Activison tossed CoD to Sledgehammer, Obsidian took over the KOTOR franchise, etc. Once the engine is done and there's a large platform to begin additional work, development goes much faster.

That said, I would guess that at least a few DH employees get picked up by Microsoft. I can't imagine every single KI dev team member staying on at DH to work on Android games for the foreseeable future, and MS will want as many of those guys as possible to continue working on KI.

Nori Chan

New pin challenge is up. You must record a supreme victory and send it to an email. It has to be on ranked and through upload studios.

Blu10

So I've stepped away from ranked till they fix a couple things, and I am getting absolutely bodied in exhibition. In around 30 matches I think I have won 2.

biRdy

I know we are supposed to get Fulgore, but what happens to new content such as story mode, and lobbies? Were they part of season 1 or just things that were promised and now will be dismissed?

Kriaser

Does anyone have a good Orchid I can spar against? I just fought one in ranked that had an answer for literally every mix up Spinal has. I'm a bit confused on my options now...

T.O.P

Banned
Does anyone have a good Orchid I can spar against? I just fought one in ranked that had an answer for literally every mix up Spinal has. I'm a bit confused on my options now...

I do and it's usually my character counter pick when i see a very good spinal in ranked

Add me if you want :D

KI Heisenberg

Man, i almost threw my controller today. Ranked glitch just took me from Rank 4 to 1 due to the jail glitch. Every match i won, they left. Everytime i lost, that got to stay.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
finally figured out the shadow counter by screwing around in practice. is it supposed to randomly fuck up and either allow the shadow i'm countering to hit me anyways or just initiate the shadow effect without the actual counter or are these just glitches? maybe the timing has to be perfect to avoid either of these (too early and your shadow counter is interrupted, too late and you fizzle shadow)?

remz

finally figured out the shadow counter by screwing around in practice. is it supposed to randomly fuck up and either allow the shadow i'm countering to hit me anyways or just initiate the shadow effect without the actual counter or are these just glitches? maybe the timing has to be perfect to avoid either of these (too early and your shadow counter is interrupted, too late and you fizzle shadow)?

If you get hit more than once you get pwned and the counter is canceled. The idea is to use it just before the last (fifth) hit of the shadow move, or alternatively during a blockstring where they're unlikely to be able to hit you again

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If you get hit more than once you get pwned and the counter is canceled. The idea is to use it just before the last (fifth) hit of the shadow move, or alternatively during a blockstring where they're unlikely to be able to hit you again

and the shadow effect without counter i take it is because its performed too late and the actual counter is missed?

.la1n

Twtich stream on Thursday
2:00 - 3:00pm PST
http://playxbla.com/this-weeks-twitch-tvxbox-schedule/

just watch the chat be filled with people asking about what's going to happen to the game

Should be interesting. Maybe they used last week off to prepare a statement. Doubt they can really say much until Microsoft announces the new developer / plans for the future. I'm not feeling particularly great about the future of the game at the moment. Just hope they can get the game relatively bug free again so I can enjoy playing online again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That chat is going to be a mess but it's hard to blame anyone. It sucks being in a limbo state for info.

Skab

So back on the same day that the news about Amazon broke, Mick uploaded a new Fulgore theme tease. Seems to have slipped by unnoticed around here, so I thought I would share.

https://vine.co/v/MarljgOrLXm

Also, judging by some of his more recent tweets, it seems like he might not be doing anymore themes after Fulgore? That would really suck if true. :[

Though I could just be that it hasn't been sorted out yet.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Would be weird if Mick left. He's not a Double Helix developer. He's a freelance musician. And he's a massive Killer Instinct nut. I can't see him turning down a season two contract unless his workload is so large juggling another character line-up just isn't possible, or Microsoft has no interest in getting him back.

Synth

If Mick leaves too.... :/

Now this would really suck.

I'm somewhat optimistic that if the new staff has enough fighting game experience, and some key staff hang around that know the original vision for the game, the things will work out okay.

However I have absolutely zero confidence in anyone else doing the music... none whatsoever, regardless of who it is. It would be like having a Jet Set Radio soundtrack sans Naganuma. Just can't see it working...

derFeef

Mick not making music is really not gonna happen. It would suck as much as a new art team and a new modeler etc. - which is going to happen. Everything sucks about this to be honest... (still bummed...)

.la1n

Mick not making music is really not gonna happen. It would suck as much as a new art team and a new modeler etc. - which is going to happen. Everything sucks about this to be honest... (still bummed...)

New art team / new modelers is one of the only benefits I can see from this to be honest. I wasn't overly impressed with Double Helix's output in those areas. Problem is we are also losing the guys who created the foundation the game is built on, that's the part I hate to see someone else taking on.

brettreyu

New art team / new modelers is one of the only benefits I can see from this to be honest. I wasn't overly impressed with Double Helix's output in those areas. Problem is we are also losing the guys who created the foundation the game is built on, that's the part I hate to see someone else taking on.

We are also losing a team that produced a patch that made online unplayable, put people into jail when they won, and caused ear drums to rupture during Ultras.

derFeef

Higher quality art is always welcome, but the style should remain intact which is difficult.
Can't even imagine what the foundation and fighting system is like to pass to the next developer - must be taunting for both parties.

derFeef

Hmmmmm.

1EtsU23.png

https://twitter.com/michaelrobles/status/433013045695348736

whoops DP, sporry.

Really hope we hear more sooner than later. Would be nice if the new studio is beginning work on character/stage design now.

I thought i heard he would stay regardless. He is not from DH right?

He isn't with Double Helix, but if the new studio has an in-house composer he might be replaced. I REALLY hope he stays, but who knows at this point :(

Sdoots

I haven't played since my last post when the jail update first came out, just caught up on the thread, and it looks like shit is still fucked.

Man, this sucks. I want this to all end in the best way possible, but I can't help being pessimistic.

Lrn2reed

Neo Member
OMG I'm so sick of ranked rage quiters right now. It never fails, win a tough match and they quit during my victory ultra smh.

The jail system sucks!

Izuna

Banned
I am so annoyed. I can't enter a single Exhibition Match with my friend. We have tried every other game on Xbox One we have (Halo, Forza, Ryse) but KI just does not work. I have tried restarting systems/routers etc.

It just says they are added to the game, we get a join message, and then it can't start multiplayer session. I can play Ranked, but that's full of rage-quitters and I want to play my old SF4 buddy.

argh!

Enordash

It seems that while I was absent from this thread someone else decided to use this avatar as well, lol.

As excited as I was for Spinal originally, I am just not jiving with him at all. I'm having a hell of a time opening people up and not getting my ass punished. I pretty much know which moves of his are unsafe, but I feel like it leaves him lacking in options.

Skab

why wouldn't he stick around?

Have to remember that he isn't with DH or MS. Microsoft could simply not ask him to come back for season two if they decide to go with an in house composer for whatever new studio takes over.

People have asked him on twitter if he's still going to be working on the game after DH stops. His response has been that right now he's just focusing on making Fulgore something special. That to me sounds very uncertain.

Sydle

It seems that while I was absent from this thread someone else decided to use this avatar as well, lol.

As excited as I was for Spinal originally, I am just not jiving with him at all. I'm having a hell of a time opening people up and not getting my ass punished. I pretty much know which moves of his are unsafe, but I feel like it leaves him lacking in options.

You using light skeleport and slide kicks to get in close and then overhead/low mix ups? Also use heavies cancelled into things like searing skull, boneshaker, etc. to start building up your skulls.

Once you have skulls then start whiff punishing, using heavy skeleport cancelled into any special attack for the cost of one skull. Continue using mix ups to keep your opponent on a blocking guessing game. Also steal their shadow meter. Once you have meter you can use a shadow skeleport, which is invulnerable to everything (even throws). It's all about confusing your opponent's defense and putting the pressure on, so if you're not great at reading your opponent's strategy and varying your game on the fly then he may not be a great fit for you.

Top Bottom