• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

.la1n

How many western fighting game devs are there?

It obviously can't be NRS or Lab Zero.

The only other one I can think of is Kung Fu Factory.

I guess there is also Iron Galaxy..... they did make an exclusive xbox game that one time, so they might have good standing with MS.

Any weird Indie fighting game devs?

Iron Galaxy would be the best possible news. They are also great at attention to detail and optimizing the online portion of fighters they have worked on.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
They say whether any of the DH staff will still be involved with KI after season 1? Im too lazy to watch the stream.

Edit: Just saw on the previous page that Dan is still there, thats good I think he was one of the combat designers..?

The Flash

Banned
Glad the soundtrack is going to be released and that more merchandise is on the way. I'm getting the Penny Arcade Combo Breaker tshirt tomorrow but I want more!

.la1n

Didn't think Double Helix was going to work on anymore characters but who knows maybe they have some well kept secrets in the works.

Didn't think Double Helix was going to work on anymore characters but who knows maybe they have some well kept secrets in the works.

would be pretty amazing if they managed to somehow do it. I don't think it's possible to get fulgore+combo+lobbies+story all done for march though.

.la1n

would be pretty amazing if they managed to somehow do it. I don't think it's possible to get fulgore+combo+lobbies+story all done for march though.

Well technically I believe they had Season 1 road map as running until July. Originally it was just going to be general support / patches after March but I don't see any reason why they couldn't have a character or two up their sleeve to release before they make their final departure from the project.

DrDogg

Eh, I'm perfectly happy to watch an opponent exibit his well-earned chance to show off after a win. If they miss something, it's one last chance for me to laugh at them, even if I did lose. It's not like every opponent does a 2 min ultra per each win anywho; most end their ultras with enders in fear of rage quits, or because they also want to get to the next match ASAP.

I'm not looking to laugh at anyone or watch an exhibition. I just want to grind out the matches.

Isn't this basically true of almost every command overhead in any game, though? Command OH's are usually "slow", save for Insta-air stuff like Leona's Neutral j.D or Yoga-Sniper, which are massively punishable in tradeoff. And Spinal's can be safely cancelled into a special, which most safer options can't.

(And Spinal's OH is suppose to be a frame faster than Jago's, lol.) At 17 frames, it has the same start-up time as Ryo's in KoF XIII, and is apparently 2 frame faster than Kyo's. Which are far from useless in that game.

I didn't say it was useless. I just feel it won't be a go-to for opening up an opponent when you don't have skulls. Also, Jago's OH has more range than Spinal's which makes it a better option. Not to mention that canceling Jago's into a Wind Kick is safer than canceling Spinal's into his specials.

I think giving him normal tele in the air would be a bit much, especially with the skulls allowing instant special cancels out of tele. I do think it'd be pretty cool if they allowed skull use to Tele-cancel out of Divekick on block, however.

Allow me to do a normal Skeleport in the air, but make it use a skull. If I do the heavy it's 2 skulls.

If I have to slog through a match of Jago/Sabrewulf rush spam then they can sit through an Ultra of me dominating them and actually using some type of skill to overcome the buttonmashing.

It takes more skill to play as Jago and Sabrewulf than it does to land an Ultra.

So Dan is still on the team and the new team is probably a fighting game developer. I smell Skullgirls dev?

I would hope not. Mike Z stated he didn't like the new KI.

Khezu

Ya I remember Mike being really critical about KI.

If he ever got any kind of creative control over it, in 6 months it would probably be a pretty different game. For better or worse.

LTWheels

Ya I remember Mike being really critical about KI.

If he ever got any kind of creative control over it, in 6 months it would probably be a pretty different game. For better or worse.

I think the creative directors at MS seem to be pretty keyed on and have a good understanding of how they want the game to play. Listening to the live streams it does sound as if they are as just as much responsible for the design decisions as DH is. I don't think they would let the gameplay go in a direction that they don't want it to.

I like listening to Adam speak about the game. For the guy basically in charge of this game he talks very openly and reveals more about the game than those under him.

Khezu

I think the creative directors at MS seem to be pretty keyed on and have a good understanding of how they want the game to play. Listening to the live streams it does sound as if they are as just as much responsible for the design decisions as DH is. I don't think they would let the gameplay go in a direction that they don't want it to.

I like listening to Adam speak about the game. For the guy basically in charge of this game he talks very openly and reveals more about the game than those under him.

Ya, because of this I don't see Lab Zero or Mike working on the game.

I don't think Mike would agree to it if he wasn't allowed to shape the game in his own direction, and MS seems smart enough to not let him mangle the game.

.la1n

Nah they won't have Lab Zero work on KI. I actually enjoy Skull Girls quite a bit but it's a different beast than KI. I feel pretty good about the team at least doing their best to retain the foundation that Double Helix has built. The only real concern I have is if the development team change causes a significant delay in additional content it will kill the game before It even had a chance to gain a lot of momentum.

derFeef

here is hoping the new team is bigger then. It certainly would be good - I mean the game has terrible problems right now and they can't get that patch out.

LTWheels

With a new developer I hope they can speed up the loading of the character models on the character select screen and customisation screen.

Sydle

In the fan book Adam was interviewed and described how the internal KI team at MS provided design specs to DH for the game and characters. He also said DH would come back with suggestions, or submit new ideas, which is why it was a good partnership.

I think it's safe to say new KI is just as much, if not more so, the internal KI team's doing as it is DH. I have no doubt they will ensure its quality going forward, even if that means a delayed season 2 for a bit (hopefully not).

derFeef

In the fan book Adam was interviewed and described how the internal KI team at MS provided design specs to DH for the game and characters. He also said DH would come back with suggestions, or submit new ideas, which is why it was a good partnership.

I think it's safe to say new KI is just as much, if not more so, the internal KI team's doing as it is DH. I have no doubt they will ensure its quality going forward, even if that means a delayed season 2 for a bit (hopefully not).

This is interesting, I wonder if for the original pitch MS gave those guidelines as well. Also curious why DH's prototype turned out the best and what other devs pitched one.

bumpkin

Hmm... Is the throw challenge still going on or did that close/end? KIC posted about a new one centered around juggle hits.

Sydle

This is interesting, I wonder if for the original pitch MS gave those guidelines as well. Also curious why DH's prototype turned out the best and what other devs pitched one.

Willette (DH) says he nearly jumped out of his chair when he heard MS was taking pitches. He built a pitch deck, including concept art and combat flow, as well as a prototype with KI 2 mechanics as the base. He said the MS team loved it and green lit production. From there they worked together on evolving the combat system.

Retig (MS) says that DH not only showed the best understanding of what KI is about, but that they had the fighting game talent, tools, and passion for the project.

Verfaillie (DH), design director, says Willette came up with the idea for Instinct mode and MS came up with the bluff/Counter Breaker systems.

Isgreen says...
It's been a very harmonious relationship. Sure, we fight back and forth about features, characters, and balance, but that's part of the process and it all makes for a really great games at the end of the day.

It seems apparent that KI is the baby of both their efforts. It's unfortunate the relationship is going to come to an end, but I think MS will ensure it's going to be in good hands.

derFeef

Sad :( Love the DH guys......
New dev better not introduce/remove things what makes this unique and fun to play. Campbell better be crushing wild ideas.

bumpkin

This might be a dumb question, but I could have sworn I found a screen to view per-character stats. I'm curious how close I am to some of the use-based 'chievos. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is my old decrepit memory deceiving me ?

This might be a dumb question, but I could have sworn I found a screen to view per-character stats. I'm curious how close I am to some of the use-based 'chievos. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or is my old decrepit memory deceiving me ?

Go to the Fight Archive section from the main menu and there should be a Stats sub-menu that will at least give you a general idea of where each character stands in terms of fight titles obtained.

Any ideas for good wake-up when playing with Spinal? Teleport is pretty useless if you've not got skulls on wake-up. :(

Spinal's wake-up game is possibly his biggest weakness, if you ask me. As far as I know, you can get thrown out of the teleport's start-up anyway regardless on if you have skulls or not. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think you have to treat his wakeup game like Sadira's: sit there and take it. If you have meter, I suppose you could try and gamble it on a reversal super, but I don't think I'd recommend using any of Spinal's supers on wakeup. My experience with his wake-up options is that it's not in his favor to do any of his specials or supers. Just block, or jump if you think they're going to try a throw.

Speaking of Spinal, this is going to seem like a strange request, but does anybody know the circumstances of how the game crashing glitch with Spinal occurs? You just have to do a heavy teleport into the corner of Jago/Spinal's stage, right? I ask this only because I was trying to show my friends this glitch when I had mentioned it to them, but I just couldn't get it to happen, no matter what I tried. I'm glad I could not get the game to crash, but at the same time I couldn't actually prove the glitch was real. Does this crash glitch only happen randomly?

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
Speaking of Spinal, this is going to seem like a strange request, but does anybody know the circumstances of how the game crashing glitch with Spinal occurs? You just have to do a heavy teleport into the corner of Jago/Spinal's stage, right? I ask this only because I was trying to show my friends this glitch when I had mentioned it to them, but I just couldn't get it to happen, no matter what I tried. I'm glad I could not get the game to crash, but at the same time I couldn't actually prove the glitch was real. Does this crash glitch only happen randomly?

Did this yesterday on Jago's stage. Thew out an aerial skull, friend was in the left corner and as it came down/he got up I heavy teleported. The game then crashed :(

Cheers for the advice btw, I love Spinal and his mix-up game. Just need to practice on defence/openers!

Kriaser

Any ideas for good wake-up when playing with Spinal? Teleport is pretty useless if you've not got skulls on wake-up. :(

To put it in perspective, Jago's c.LK can beat out all of Spinal's wake up options. Shadow Skeleport will just get blocked.

"Best" wake up options vary on how your opponent is attempting to attack you. If timed correctly, you can actually use Shadow Searing Skull (this Shadow move completely removes your hitbox briefly, but not reliably like a DP or actual invincible moves) to beat out a lot of meaty attacks, but it's very strict and heavily depends on the timing of the meaty. If you're aware of a cross up, you can correct your input for a LK Skeleport to try to gain distance, however this will get caught by any forward moving attack after the cross up (Wind Kick-like moves) due to the recovery of the Skeleport (but this can be Shadow move cancelled if you predict them to come at you).

Often enough, it's better to just block or learn how to block better, including memorizing what everyone's Auto-doubles look like (being good at counting hits on Linkers is key in defense too). Nothing is more irritating in a fighting game than a heavy mix up character backed up by a player's natural defense.

Yuripaw

Banned
I love this game. I am not very good at it, like many fighting games, but I can still have so much fun with it, and it'll feel so much more rewarding when I pull off something cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGvA6iadl0

I love that I can also just say "Xbox Record that" to save those awesome moments that I want to share ^_^

Edit:

I do have one problem though, and this is more of a technical issue. None of my customization stuff seems to work, or save properly. For instance, my Icon never saves, and I can't see other players icons properly. It just shows a series of red and black vertical lines(which is present in my video above) I got the RAREWARE icon cuz I wanted to see it.

As far as customization though, I play Orchid a lot, and it never saves the outfits I choose for her when I reboot the game. It'll keep whatever I purchased unlocked, but it'll never save the designs.

I'm sure if I look through the thread more, I might see something similar, but is there any solution to fix this?

I love this game. I am not very good at it, like many fighting games, but I can still have so much fun with it, and it'll feel so much more rewarding when I pull off something cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DGvA6iadl0

I love that I can also just say "Xbox Record that" to save those awesome moments that I want to share ^_^

Edit:

I do have one problem though, and this is more of a technical issue. None of my customization stuff seems to work, or save properly. For instance, my Icon never saves, and I can't see other players icons properly. It just shows a series of red and black vertical lines(which is present in my video above) I got the RAREWARE icon cuz I wanted to see it.

As far as customization though, I play Orchid a lot, and it never saves the outfits I choose for her when I reboot the game. It'll keep whatever I purchased unlocked, but it'll never save the designs.

I'm sure if I look through the thread more, I might see something similar, but is there any solution to fix this?

You're in jail because someone either disconnected from your match, or you disconnected from a match and that's why your emblem won't change (it's supposed to look like jail bars) There's been a lot of issues with saving after the latest patch. No fixes yet, but Double Helix is working on a patch.

Yuripaw

Banned
You're in jail because someone either disconnected from your match, or you disconnected from a match and that's why your emblem won't change (it's supposed to look like jail bars) There's been a lot of issues with saving after the latest patch. No fixes yet, but Double Helix is working on a patch.

Oh geez, now that sucks! Because I did have a match like that, but it was some jerk who quit the match. What upset me about that before too was that I ranked down because of it, so instead of it counting as a win for me, it counted as a loss...now that sucks...

Edit:

Alright, this really sucks, the whole ranked system is broken because of this I'm realizing now. I mean...I can't get up more than one rank, because all it takes is one asshole who doesn't like that they're going to lose, so they quit...I don't get the win, and it counts as a lose.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Hey dudes, finally got my xbone, gamertag is Wheres A A Ron

Add me for free wins Im terrible.

.la1n

Hey dudes, finally got my xbone, gamertag is Wheres A A Ron

Add me for free wins Im terrible.

BNy7AL9CQAAJbjM.jpg

bumpkin

Are the fight titles and/or achievements buggy/broken right now to anyone's knowledge? Did they change something where the little pop-up panels for KP unlocks get set to off by default in an update?

I feel as though I should have unlocked some when I was playing last night, but nothing came up during my session.

Redshirt

Banned
Has there been any word if/when Shadow Jago will be available?

Walmart has the 12-month Live with Shadow Jago for $39.96 with fs.

brettreyu

Has there been any word if/when Shadow Jago will be available?

Walmart has the 12-month Live with Shadow Jago for $39.96 with fs.

40 bucks for a 12-month card is a good price anyway. Even if a 35 dollar one is bound to pop up on Amazon, Newegg, etc. Peace of mind and Shadow Jago for only 5 dollars more, why not.

Redshirt

Banned
Yeah. I'm filled up on Live, and I try to hold out for the $30 deal that occurs every blue moon, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Thanks.

Chairhome

Maximillian has the new Assist Me: KI advanced techniques up. I had no idea you could end Ultras early w/ MP+MK? Cool stuff.

Started playing this game again this weekend and man, I suck, or everyone got better (likely both). I really need to try to mod an extra controller into my arcade stick, seems simple enough. I have a problem of panicking when my opponent gets in danger.

derFeef

Maximillian has the new Assist Me: KI advanced techniques up. I had no idea you could end Ultras early w/ MP+MK? Cool stuff.

Started playing this game again this weekend and man, I suck, or everyone got better (likely both). I really need to try to mod an extra controller into my arcade stick, seems simple enough. I have a problem of panicking when my opponent gets in danger.

Not only end them, but also use this as extra flavour with a double ultra :D
I like Glacius ender the most, follower by Orchid's.

Top Bottom