• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Calling it story mode seems like a mistake - unless it really is more than an arcade ladder.

I would have been fine if BB called it's Arcade mode a "story mode", really, and all it features is basically 3 unique character conversations + an ending.

It probably would have been good to give it a more unique name though, just so it wouldn't pull along too many pre-conceived notions. "Arcade Mode" doesn't really describe it too well, and "Story mode" could be too heavy. Maybe something like "Instincts mode" would have been better?

So, i just finished a 20-game set on ranker, pretty fun. Thunder is still my worst character, but the only person i still need 20 ranked wins with, so ill push through. Sucks i have to wait til im lut of jail again though, since im still stuck being thrown in there after any disconnect : /

Didn't we already know that?

It's something I didn't know.

When it was brought up on the stream, nothing was mentioned about it being previously known.

So, if it was not known until now, then great news! If it's old news...then I'm just reiterating good news.

Skab

It's something I didn't know.

When it was brought up on the stream, nothing was mentioned about it being previously known.

So, if it was not known until now, then great news! If it's old news...then I'm just reiterating good news.

I want to say I heard it mentioned in a max video as having been confirmed or something? New news or not, still good news!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It is less than a week before release...

... but you don't want to disappoint people after getting them hyped up.

Should have at least extended it another 30 min, since it began late. Though watching Campbell rage at the CPU stylin' on him was fairly funny, as well as hearing some of the changes since early development (Saberwulf crouching under projectile, having longer grab range than others, etc).

So we get an opening Cinematic that introduces the character, and we actually have multiple endings. Previously, they said there WOULDN'T be alt endings, so this is good to hear.

Also, we learned that S2 will continue to expand the story mode, and that new features will be coming to it. They also talked very confidently about a new playable character being the boss for S2.

It might not be the stream we wanted, but I'm not as bummed with what we got as I could be.

That stream annoyed the hell out of me. :|

Here are the highlights from today’s Killer Instinct stream from Play XBLA…

-Story mode being shown for the time. Specifically, Fulgore’s story.
-Major feature in lobbies is spectating.
-Sadira’s classic costume will be available around the same time as next week’s update with Arcade Mode, Fulgore and Lobbies.
-Shadow Jago sort of has his own story, but not in the same context as the other characters.
-No plan for a Shadow Jago classic costume.
-No new colors for Shadow Jago for now. Claim’s fans will be happy
-Story/Arcade Mode will not have achievements. May be
-Season Two has a “really nasty” boss. He will also be a playable character.
-There are teases to things for season two within some of the endings in arcade mode.
-Shadow Tiger’s Lair will be in next week’s update.
-Fulgore has a different colored beam on color 3
-Considered doing rivals with dialog.
-Story Mode for Season 2 will receive a pretty big overhaul. Expect it to be better.
-Will find out about Season 2′s release later on.
-Tusk would be completely reimagined, regardless of when/if he comes back.
-Discussed a bit about some of their favorite moments when developing season one. Counter breakers, first time seeing the prototype in action and so forth.
-There are only seven characters to fight against in story mode. Characters chosen depends upon which character you’re playing as.
-Development with Iron Galaxy Studios will be consistent with how it has been developed so far by DH.
-Want to make changes to tracking players stats and such in Season Two.
-Will look at changing Spinal’s skull colors in Spinal vs. Spinal matchups.

.la1n

Along the lines of Spinal skulls in mirror matches I had expected them to make a change to Sadira mirror matches' instinct webs as well, surprised it hasn't been brought up.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
So the stream sucked eh?..figures. Well at least we got some new info.

.la1n

So the stream sucked eh?..figures. Well at least we got some new info.

It was fun to watch but would have been better if Campbell had not been stubborn and just chose the easiest difficult for story so everyone could have seen it all the way through.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
It was fun to watch but would have been better if Campbell had not been stubborn and just chose the easiest difficult for story so everyone could have seen it all the way through.
So he lost to the CPU in story mode and then it was over just like that?

campbellfacepalm.gif

CPU looked harder to me. I don't think I've ever seen medium CPU do manuals, or follow up on counter breakers but I don't know.

Stream was pretty disappointing :/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CPU looked harder to me. I don't think I've ever seen medium CPU do manuals, or follow up on counter breakers but I don't know.

Stream was pretty disappointing :/

I play survival every once in a while for fun, and the game has gotten smarter as time has gone on. I've definitely seen them do manuals and taunt before, but I rarely saw the AI do Saber's Mixup body-cross dashes,

They've gotten a lot smarter since the "ALWAYS COMBO BREAK ON 2nd HEAVY!" Days. They still do that sometimes, but they also break immediately on starting moves, break lights, setup counter breakers, stagger their presses on breaking shadow linkers, and go for meaties on wakeup.

A lot of times it still goes for gibberish combos, instinct cancels for no real payoff, and Sadira ALWAYS spams the constant web-after-web-after-web stuff if she sticks you in one, but it's fairly impressive, Starts to remind me of the AI in Virtua Fighter 4, which was modeled off Japanese arcade players style and tendencies.

bumpkin

I wonder what the April PIN challenge is going to be.

I was sad when I realized that I was one win away from fulfilling the March challenge… I was able to win a match against every character except a Sadira.

DrDogg

As a Tusk main, I'm disappointed they're going to completely re-imagine him. At the very least the new Tusk needs to fight with a sword so we can get a classic costume and rep him properly.

Tusk and Kim Wu were my mains in KI2, so I'm hopeful that at least one of them will be solid in the new game. I have a ton of fun playing Spinal (my main in KI1), but I really feel he's the worst in the cast. Hopefully Combo (my other KI1 main) fairs better.

Either way, I'm looking forward to season two. Hopefully we get to Evo 2015 so the game stays active in the tournament scene once the S2 characters start hitting.

VariantX

As a Tusk main, I'm disappointed they're going to completely re-imagine him. At the very least the new Tusk needs to fight with a sword so we can get a classic costume and rep him properly.

Tusk and Kim Wu were my mains in KI2, so I'm hopeful that at least one of them will be solid in the new game. I have a ton of fun playing Spinal (my main in KI1), but I really feel he's the worst in the cast. Hopefully Combo (my other KI1 main) fairs better.

Either way, I'm looking forward to season two. Hopefully we get to Evo 2015 so the game stays active in the tournament scene once the S2 characters start hitting.

Tusk without the huge sword might as well not be Tusk in the first place. That would be as bad as Fulgore without his laser claws and pony tail. Its a major part of what makes that character what he is.

This info is so good!!!

Yup. For a lousy stream, we did get a lot of good info. I'm pretty damn excited for the future. It seems that once Season 2 drops by, it's going to be the full force in content and with what we already have being improved greatly.

I'm positive he'll be that character with the giant sword. But he probably won't end up being that Barbarian of the past. I can see the same thing ending up happening with Maya.

When more characters drop, it's bound to be way more active, especially with newly added things. Plus new characters would bring in other people who never really felt
hat nostalgia from KI cast before.

Edit: I also had Kim Wu as a main, and definitely look forward to what she brings in this new KI. :)

.la1n

Adam said that he would of course keep his iconic characteristics such as the sword but with the current story it wouldn't make sense for him to have the Conan look. Of all the KI 2 cast Kim Wu is the one in the biggest need of a re-imagining. Coming from a Korean family I always loved seeing Korean representation in fighting games but KI 2 Kim Wu was an insult.

.la1n

What made her an insult?

Kimwu-stand.gif

Point out what aspects of this design make her distinctly Korean? I can't seem to find any myself. The character is also using Nunchaku (Japanese weapon.)

Then you have the flip side with King of Fighter's Chae Lim which is an example of a great design:

Chae-Lim-profile.jpg

Although to be fair Kim Wu is probably a terrible enough design that it would have insulted any culture that they chose for her to come from ;P

Point out what aspects of this design make her distinctly Korean? I can't seem to find any myself. The character is also using Nunchaku (Japanese weapon.)

Then you have the flip side with King of Fighter's Chae Lim which is an example of a great design.

Although to be fair Kim Wu is probably a terrible enough design that it would have insulted any culture that they chose for her to come from ;P

Well to be fair, you can say the same for Orchid especially going into KI2. Hah. But I see where you're going with this. Honestly, I love Kim Wu, she's my main character along with Jago and Sabrewulf of course. I was just curious on your answer.

Also, I can't agree on Chae Lim, since that seems to be the 'easy way out' with a design. :p Kim, Hwoarang. I'm talking with the typical outfit of course on Taekwondo fighters.

Hah. Well how would you redesign her?

.la1n

I think if they want to stick with her KI 2 design because fans of the character prefer that then that would be okay. I'm not really that heavily invested in the character and I know how it feels to really like a character and have the reimagining veer too far from the original (Glacius.) If I was redesigning the character I would have her actually look Korean for a start and obviously drop the cliche Kung fu garb. Hopefully they'll get a Korean VA for her as well.

That's just me rambling off an obvious bias, I'm really not too worried about it in the long run. Now if they screw up Cinder I will be unhappy :)

Honestly, I just want to keep her red hair along with the nunchakus. They can change everything else. I'd like to see her have some sort of parry in her moveset to go with what KI2 had, she'd be the perfect character to have it as her own.

I was also looking into things. And found what Kim Wu can truly be, which is perfect for her. Mouhébong Taekwondo!

Hah. Cinder is the easiest thing to do, but that is what has me worried. :p But I hope that Cinder will have the greatest design in the game.

Top Bottom