• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wasn't much to miss. Much more boring than the sitdown with Filthie last year, where they really got to get into questions with someone who really know what we wanted to hear, and how much he could tease.

Was way too similar to the IGN stuff. Same gameplay loop, same lack of real info. (-_-;)

At least he started asking questions from the community, until the other guy showed up to ruin the whole thing.

Seriously. He was on a roll with plenty of questions to chose from people writing in and then Danny O'Dwyer swoops down with the interview nuke. Come on man.

Do we know what the instinct does if used normally?

I wonder how much Double Helix left for them and how much Iron Galaxy has done. 6 weeks isn't a very long time lol.

Played Combo today and man it was confusing. Witnessed him coming back to life and thought the game was bugged or something, didn't realize it was a special specific to him.

Did you guys have any specific questions you want me to ask the devs tomorrow?

Timu

Played Combo today and man it was confusing. Witnessed him coming back to life and thought the game was bugged or something, didn't realize it was a special specific to him.

Ask them about the no mercys and KI2 classic costumes for various characters.

Anything in particular you found confusing, or was it just getting used to a new character?

I have tons of questions but I doubt they'll answer them. Hopefully some of these can be answered at E3!

• Can we expect to see 6 characters for season 2 launch and 2 following like with season 1?
  • Will the twitch streams with new builds be happening again?
  • Do we have a general time frame on when more information will be available (new game modes, new UI, new characters)
    soon :p
  • Will there be a $40 version again?

Anything in particular you found confusing, or was it just getting used to a new character?
Yeah, pretty much getting used to a new character. I knew how to do his moves but in that type of environment, there's really no time to sit down to learn the intricacies of each move. Not sure if these are already known but here are some things I picked up:

- His dashing punch (hard punch) allows him to absorb one hit and as you dash in, you can hit light punch to do a spinning backlist or medium punch to do a grab.
- His tremor punch (down, up kick) hits low when he hits the ground
- I believe he has a special auto double (not sure what the properties are) but didn't know how I pulled it off, it looked cool though

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
If you dont mind asking..

-WHEN'S CINDER
-Why doesnt Combo have his KI2 eyepatch? Accessory?
-Are they considering any buffs to current characters?
-Are they gonna fix some of the classic costumes? (Sabrewulfs lazy eyes/rat face, Glacius head, Jago's gloves/goofy hair etc)
-Any performance bumps with the new Xbox One SDK? Resolution bump/faster loading/whatever
-WHEN'S CINDER

The Flash

Banned

Feathered Riptor?
Mick Gordon?
KI2 Classic?
Single-player?
Killer Cuts?

DrDogg

That's....weird.

Not really. In the original KI you could mash during the No Mercy daze state and come back to life. So it's not new to KI at all.

From terrible players... lol

well so much for E3 giving us information.

I'll be there tomorrow and Thursday. I'll have a comprehensive write-up on Prima next week, but I'll stop in here when I can to provide an update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIMxgvlBBf4

Looks like about 10% life for instinct

Ultra isnt in the game yet

Been working on TJ combo for only 6 weeks

It's at least 15% because that's when you get into the Ultra danger zone.

Silky

Banned
6 weeks working on Combo means that it's likely that Cinder really won't be ready until EVO to reveal. I'm guessing we'll see 3 new characters to start Season 2, or maybe even Four.

Like to see IG's commitment to fixing the online issues with Jail, though.

Silky

Banned
Wasn't KI2 wiped away from the lore? I realize we will be getting characters from KI2 but I thought I read KI2 was wiped away.

It isn't. See: Orchid being aware Jago is her brother, Sabrewulf removing his cybernetic implants, Fulgore's model is Mk. III, etc.

I hope the characters from Ki2 get a major reworking visually because I didn't care for them when compared to the original cast. I felt like the originals were much more creative.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Also did anyone else notice every announcer in every vid so far has been chris sutherland?

I will be sad if they don't get berserker mike do new lines for season 2 :(

Even then, sutherland isn't part of MS anymore after the rare layoffs

I have this feeling we will have a new announcer AGAIN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKJjAxzkH_I

Max breakdown

Really like the white outfit so far

Wow, what a fantastic video.

TJ looks so ridiculously fun. I love the idea of aerial recapture for KI and it fits so damn well with TJ's style. I can't believe that they've only been working on him for 6 weeks because he just looks soooo good. From what they've shown so far Iron Galaxy was definitely the perfect choice to continue KI. Gah, fall seems so far away.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKJjAxzkH_I

Max breakdown

Really like the white outfit so far
Great video, I have to say I feel alot more optimistic about Combo's design (both gameplay wise and visually) knowing how early the character is. Im sure his look will evolve quite a bit by release.

The devs wouldn't divulge any info at all. Played against one of them and got a sweet TJ Combo shirt though.
Grats on the shirt, too bad they would tell you anything. :/

The Flash

Banned
*sigh*

I just want some acknowledgement that Killer Cuts is in the works. So tired of listening to YouTube rips :(

Max's TJ analysis was really good. Looking forward to playing with him when he releases. Hopefully IG will make him more of a boxer and not a MMA looking fighter. I wonder what his accessories will look like. I'd kill for a set that made him look like Mr. T.

.la1n

*sigh*

I just want some acknowledgement that Killer Cuts is in the works. So tired of listening to YouTube rips :(

Max's TJ analysis was really good. Looking forward to playing with him when he releases. Hopefully IG will make him more of a boxer and not a MMA looking fighter. I wonder what his accessories will look like. I'd kill for a set that made him look like Mr. T.

Killer Cuts is in the works. There was a twitter campaign about it and the person behind it stopped because he/she was apparently contacted and fears laid to rest.

Wish I had better confirmation than that but seems like it is in the works, may even be part of the Season 2 "ultra edition" or whatever they choose to name it. Still hoping that we might see a KI 2 port as well with online support, IG has the chops for it to be sure. Their work on SF III Third Strike, Darkstalkers, and MvC origins was fantastic.

Impressive what they have been able to get together with TJ Combo and his stage in such a short amount of time. I just hope the team is listening to the feedback and will continue to improve TJ's game play and design. He does need the patch back, or something to set him apart from the generic design he has currently. It isn't terrible but it just doesn't feel very unique like the rest of the fighters aesthetically.

The Flash

Banned
Killer Cuts is in the works. There was a twitter campaign about it and the person behind it stopped because he/she was apparently contacted and fears laid to rest.

Wish I had better confirmation than that but seems like it is in the works, may even be part of the Season 2 "ultra edition" or whatever they choose to name it. Still hoping that we might see a KI 2 port as well with online support, IG has the chops for it to be sure. Their work on SF III Third Strike, Darkstalkers, and MvC origins was fantastic.

Impressive what they have been able to get together with TJ Combo and his stage in such a short amount of time. I just hope the team is listening to the feedback and will continue to improve TJ's game play and design. He does need the patch back, or something to set him apart from the generic design he has currently. It isn't terrible but it just doesn't feel very unique like the rest of the fighters aesthetically.

Yeah I remember seeing that on Twitter. Still wish they'd officially say something though. I hope they bring the patch back too since people don't spontaneously grow back eyeballs. I agree with Max in that TJ's design needs to be more hype. They way it is now isn't bad but it's not amazing either. A KI2 port would definitely be cool. All in good time. The wait for Fall is going to be brutal though.

kodecraft

After much thought. I'm starting to LIKE TJ Combo's design. I wonder if the developers were inspired by the movie Undisputed 2.

Especially how Michael Jai White's character is a boxer but had to adapt to other fighting styles throughout the movie.

2006_undisputed_2_01.jpg

undisputed2-470x330.jpg

tumblr_litq34Zkg81qh2r23o1_400.gif

killerinstinctone-tjcombo-screenshot-2.jpg

This game and Forza 5 are the reasons I picked up an Xbox 1. I remember wasting away as a teenager in the arcade playing the original. Any hard info on when Season 2 is coming out? Or is it randomly in the fall?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
This game and Forza 5 are the reasons I picked up an Xbox 1. I remember wasting away as a teenager in the arcade playing the original. Any hard info on when Season 2 is coming out? Or is it randomly in the fall?

at last E3 they made it seem around august timeframe

buuuuut double helix thing happened so that's no guarantee

they did say they'd release like last time where you don't get everyone right away

at last E3 they made it seem around august timeframe

buuuuut double helix thing happened so that's no guarantee

they did say they'd release like last time where you don't get everyone right away

Thanks for the reply. I would love more fighting games for this generation, and some decent fight sticks.

.la1n

Probably as late into fall as humanly possible, same as Nintendo's Smash Bros. 3DS "Summer" release.

I've finally had a chance to really sit down and learn some characters enough to finally try fighting online. The only problem is that the few times I've tried in the past few days, it has yet to find a match. I'm searching exhibition with rank cranked up to 40 so is everyone playing ranked now? Or is anyone else having this problem?

DrDogg

I'm back from E3. I'll have an interview with Keits, and some analysis going up next week, but I'm open to answering any Combo questions. Keits and John Goddard were really helpful throughout E3. Big ups to them!

Some quick general thoughts:
- IG definitely knows what they're doing. I have a lot more confidence in season two after talking to them at E3.
- You probably WON'T see all of the classic (KI1/2) characters by the end of season two. My best guess is that Riptor and one or two KI2 characters aren't coming until season three.
- I think there's a pretty good chance we'll see adjustments to the season one characters. At least Spinal and probably Fulgore.
- Aerial Recapture is *currently* only for Combo, but the devs are open to giving it to other characters (even S1 characters) depending on community feedback.

Some Combo stuff:
- Combo is solid right now. Devs have no plans to "nerf" him at all from his current state.
- He has slow auto-doubles because of auto-barrage. I think it's fine as is. He doesn't need the auto-doubles to be any faster.
- Combo can cancel the Shadow Dash Punch to bait a Shadow Counter (or Shadow Breaker if it hits), but if the read is incorrect, he can be punished. He can also use the cancel to combo off the Shadow Dash Punch, even if he's no where near a wall.
- All of his KI1 moves are intact in one way or another.
- He looks nearly complete. Not at all what I'd expect from a character that's only been in the lab for six weeks. Very impressive.

Top Bottom