• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Sadira pin is up

KI_sadira_det_1_1024x1024.jpg

and more ultimate edition news coming today?

ZHzhe0J.png

bumpkin

Sadira pin is up

and more ultimate edition news coming today?

ZHzhe0J.png
Every time I see a post about pins, I get more annoyed. I've Tweeted at and PM'ed MikeRobles about my Pin Ultimate registration and haven't heard a peep. As a plan B I posted on their (LaunchWorks') forum thread too almost nine days ago now and haven't gotten a reply. This is really awful customer service.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
TJ Combo doesn’t have an eye patch because the events of Killer Instinct 2 haven’t quite happened yet.
Err ok..but he looks 20 years older than he did in KI2..I give up lol.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I don't think that's what they said. I took it more as we haven't finished that accessory yet.
Yeah I just watched the recorded stream and youre right they never said that, not sure where KIC got that from. Also they edited that point in the stream summary.

Durock

My apologies everyone for the confusion. I shouldn't have typed it that way in the highlights. It has since been corrected.

mbmonk

I have a quick Thunder question.

On wake-up is the shadow Sammamish the only invulnerable option? I have tried all the other versions of Sammamish (light, medium, and heavy) and I am still getting hit on wake-up. Am I just doing it wrong or do those version not have invulnerability on startup?

I am really struggling handling wake-up situations with thunder when I am pressured.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

.la1n

Wish I could be excited about Season 2 classic costumes but they would have to be a serious step up from Season 1 before I get even remotely interested. On that subject did anyone happen to ask them if they had any intentions in making tweaks to the costumes for Season 1 as most of them could really use it.

On wake-up is the shadow Sammamish the only invulnerable option? I have tried all the other versions of Sammamish (light, medium, and heavy) and I am still getting hit on wake-up. Am I just doing it wrong or do those version not have invulnerability on startup?

I am really struggling handling wake-up situations with thunder when I am pressured.

I believe his only wakeup is shadow sammamish, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Wish I could be excited about Season 2 classic costumes but they would have to be a serious step up from Season 1 before I get even remotely interested. On that subject did anyone happen to ask them if they had any intentions in making tweaks to the costumes for Season 1 as most of them could really use it.

No one asked, but it doesn't seem like they have plans to drastically change anything from season one.

.la1n

No one asked, but it doesn't seem like they have plans to drastically change anything from season one.

Unfortunate as most of it would only need minor work. It is nice to hear that Shadow Jago is an additional character outside of the eight planned for Season 2. I thought they might take the cheaper route and just have him be part of the eight.

Unfortunate as most of it would only need minor work. It is nice to hear that Shadow Jago is an additional character outside of the eight planned for Season 2. I thought they might take the cheaper route and just have him be part of the eight.

Almost everything today was "stay tuned", so who knows? Iron Galaxy got Combo out in six weeks, so anything is possible it seems. The whole idea of having Shadow Jago as the eighth character is awful (at least to me), and hopefully if that idea came up in the planning stages it was shot down quickly.

Timu

Highlights from today's stream

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/highlights-from-the-killer-instinct-stream-061914/

Can't wait for the KI panel at EVO in a few weeks!
News that I like from this:

Will see more character reveals between now and the launch of Season Two.
Will likely have something available for play at EVO.
There will be a variety of different stages in Season Two.
They are looking at things to adjust from characters in Season One.
Shadow Jago will be an extra character and not part of the eight characters to be in Season Two.
Expect a newly designed UI.
Have some new mechanics in place that they don’t believe has ever been seen in any other fighting game.
Microsoft and Iron Galaxy will be at EVO. There will be another Killer Instinct panel there like last year.
Classic costumes will be available for all characters in Season Two.
Killer Instinct 2 maybe be a bonus for those who purchase the Ultra Edition of Season Two.
Looking at ways to utilize the extra power of Xbox One following the June SDK update to better the game.

.la1n

I actually don't mind the current UI other than character select and stage loading screens, damn that long ass character model loading. Hope they are bringing a new character reveal to EVO or we might be looking at the a very slim character offering at Season 2 launch.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Do note that the stream is MS peeps.

Lang said everyone will play differently and Keits said they are adding stuff that messes up some Season 1 play and its essentially a fresh start (see max interview)

From my POV (may be wrong) MS plans and greenlights changes, IG develops and MS does final balance. MS is part of development but primarily as support to IG.

For the UI... i have a feeling the new UI will be very close to a modern KI 1 theme. Blue, purple and red.

mbmonk

I believe his only wakeup is shadow sammamish, but I'm not 100% sure on that..

Thanks for the reply. If he has to have meter to get people off of him on wake up then I am going to have to change characters. I am already bad when people rush me down, I need a tool similar to an dp to help me out.

hwalker84

The 100% between IG and Microsoft was my question. They also answered 2 more of my questions I believe. I think they cut me off once they realized that. I had even better questions after :(.

DrDogg

What about Shadow Triplax? It has one hit of armor. Also, if you anticipate a throw on wake-up, Call of the Earth goes through normal throws.

Thanks for the reply. If he has to have meter to get people off of him on wake up then I am going to have to change characters. I am already bad when people rush me down, I need a tool similar to an dp to help me out.

Honestly, even with a DP you're not that much better off. It's pretty easy to bait our a DP and punish. Also, Sabrewulf needs meter for an invincible wake-up, Spinal doesn't have one at all, Sadira's wake-up is extremely weak, and Glacius eats cross-ups all day long on wake-up. Your options are limited if you want a character with good wake-up tools.

mbmonk

What about Shadow Triplax? It has one hit of armor. Also, if you anticipate a throw on wake-up, Call of the Earth goes through normal throws.

Honestly, even with a DP you're not that much better off. It's pretty easy to bait our a DP and punish. Also, Sabrewulf needs meter for an invincible wake-up, Spinal doesn't have one at all, Sadira's wake-up is extremely weak, and Glacius eats cross-ups all day long on wake-up. Your options are limited if you want a character with good wake-up tools.

Thank you. I didn't know that about all the characters that do not have an invulnerable dp on wake up. I assumed Sabre hand a invulnerable DP. Great info thank you. I am going to have to study up on wake-up options. I assumed I was playing a gimped character. Glad to hear others are afflicted with the same limitations. I need to use that to my advantage :).

mbmonk

Topic 1:
So Thunder vs Sabre. When the opponent Sabre is full screen away and starts running toward me, Thunder. Sabre has 3 options, if I am correct. First a low attack, 2nd an overhead attack, and 3 is an uppercut that looks like an anti air attack that punishes if you attempt to jump away.

Blocking gives me a 66% percent chance to defend it ( low block, will stop the low attack and the uppercut, and high block will stop the overhead and uppercut ).

Jumping, depending on the timing, will give me the same chance of success in theory though I assume any decent player might be able to react to the jump if it is done extremely early. But I am playing at the lowest level of ranked matches.

So as Thunder am I just in a guessing game here? Is there any other options I have that lead to better outcomes that do not require meter? I don't want to base my decision on having meter and then get in a situation I don't have it. I am the lowest level player possible, so things that are easy to execute are much more likely for me to be able to pull off. I am not going to be able to execute a DP exactly 6 frames before Sabre reaches my so my DP is just becoming active.

Topic #2:
Do you all get angry when you are losing a match? I try not to get upset, but I am not sure if it's my competitive spirit or what, but I turn into a neanderthal mentally. I tend to get angry despite telling myself numerous times, it's only a game. After a match, I am 'salty', and then when I take a moment to reflect on my attitude, I am embarrassed. I am trying to change that behavior especially when I am such a low level player that I am going to suffer a ton of losses and many of them very brutal at that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
First off, it felt good to see a worthwhile KI stream again, yesterday. Was that the first time we had Goddard on stream? The MS guys and Keits both carry the same kind of passion and knowledge that made listening to Filthy and DH such a pleasure, glad to see things are still on track when they're up to talk. Felt so much better than the big presentation talks during E3.

I didn't wanna personally like Combo, but the Heavy D! similarities in some of his moves is actually appealing to me. We have an SNK style full-screen ground pound! He has Autoguard on a few of his moves! A jumping Crossup kinda like Iori! That kinda looks like D!'s jumping CD. And even a dashing command grapple, There's just a lot to like about his moveset.

Here's the ways I generally deal with Wulf as Thunder:

Running from full screen is normally pretty dumb. If they do his slide, you can neutral jump and Heavy punch, which opens up a combo for you. If they're going to do the uppercut, block, wait out his followups (watch out for Tick Throw), and then attack when there's an opening. If they do the leap, stand block.

Showing the Wulf that you know how to neutralize each option makes them generally depend on one of the ones you didn't beat, so the 33% chancee becomes more of a 50% game. And as the uppercut is the safest / give him some advantage, guessing the right one becomes even easier.

Some people are pretty sloppy with the run as well, and a Standing Heavy P or K, or Medium Kick, will hit them before they get in range. Shadow Call of Earth will catch them at times, too.

Against lower-level Wulfs, baiting his DP and Shadow CoE / Landing combos afterwards is the easiest way to win, to me. A Wulf that over-relies on a small set of tools is a dead Wulf.

Oh, and for more gimmicky stuff... if you really wanna play the ranges, you could always ankle slicer out of the attack range, causing you to come back with a solid punish.

Topic #2:

I get kinda angry when I lose to certain stupid things, or when I know the lost was more of MY fault, like when I lazily break on the first hit too often, and get counter-breakered easily. And I'll never personally like people who do "anything to win", even if it's "fair", it's still boring and annoying. I don't play fighters just to watch people pick superior matchups and crush my character, I play them to get into the fight, learn the nuances, and try to come away with some new knowledge from each fight.

But otherwise... I generally enjoy myself, as long as the opponent is a good sport about it. It's fun to watch someone cash in their ultra after a long fought battle, because I'd be doing exactly the same if I won, y'know?

I love NuKI, I say this as someone who doesn't have much of an attachment at all to the classic series (personally I don't give a crap if the rest of the classic roster makes it outside Cinder and Riptor).

But I'm with you who said fights can be really rage worthy, KI's all about making big decisions and a fuck up can easily cost you a quick 40-50%. I'm not very good, alls I got is a poor guessing game against most wulfs too.

And when match making puts me against level 30+ randomly... ;___;

LTWheels

Looking at ways to utilize the extra power of Xbox One following the June SDK update to better the game.

If possible I would much rather an 'extra power' be used to reduce loading times, and how long it take for character models to appear on the character selection screen/customisation screen, than to boost the graphics or the resolution.

If possible I would much rather an 'extra power' be used to reduce loading times, and how long it take for character models to appear on the character selection screen/customisation screen, than to boost the graphics or the resolution.

I'm relatively certain that's what they're addressing when they say they'll be improving the UI.

Timu

I would be surprised if they could get it to 1080p since that's what the E3 2013 KI demo ran at but I wouldn't hold my breath.

gohanrage

At the End of the DJ Combo Trailer who do you think came in. I thought I saw what looked to be Fire. Which Made me Think the Next Character to be Announced is Cinder from the First Killer Instinct

mbmonk

Here's the ways I generally deal with Wulf as Thunder:

Running from full screen is normally pretty dumb. If they do his slide, you can neutral jump and Heavy punch, which opens up a combo for you. If they're going to do the uppercut, block, wait out his followups (watch out for Tick Throw), and then attack when there's an opening. If they do the leap, stand block.

Showing the Wulf that you know how to neutralize each option makes them generally depend on one of the ones you didn't beat, so the 33% chancee becomes more of a 50% game. And as the uppercut is the safest / give him some advantage, guessing the right one becomes even easier.

Some people are pretty sloppy with the run as well, and a Standing Heavy P or K, or Medium Kick, will hit them before they get in range. Shadow Call of Earth will catch them at times, too.

Against lower-level Wulfs, baiting his DP and Shadow CoE / Landing combos afterwards is the easiest way to win, to me. A Wulf that over-relies on a small set of tools is a dead Wulf.

Oh, and for more gimmicky stuff... if you really wanna play the ranges, you could always ankle slicer out of the attack range, causing you to come back with a solid punish.

Wow. Thank you. I didn't think about half of those options. I will try them out. At low level play I think half the battle might just punishing special moves and maxing out combos. I have a ways to go, but thank you for the advice :)

I get kinda angry when I lose to certain stupid things, or when I know the lost was more of MY fault, like when I lazily break on the first hit too often, and get counter-breakered easily. And I'll never personally like people who do "anything to win", even if it's "fair", it's still boring and annoying. I don't play fighters just to watch people pick superior matchups and crush my character, I play them to get into the fight, learn the nuances, and try to come away with some new knowledge from each fight.

But otherwise... I generally enjoy myself, as long as the opponent is a good sport about it. It's fun to watch someone cash in their ultra after a long fought battle, because I'd be doing exactly the same if I won, y'know?

Ever since I read this I have had a much different attitude when getting Ultra'd. Thank you for posting this. The main problem I have is when I am angry, I am not learning. So keep a decently level head has proved to improve my play. So thanks for the reply.

Skab

At the End of the DJ Combo Trailer who do you think came in. I thought I saw what looked to be Fire. Which Made me Think the Next Character to be Announced is Cinder from the First Killer Instinct

It's pretty obvious it's Cinder. I'm not sure how anyone could think otherwise.

.la1n

Yeah but there's always a chance they are just messing with us. I thought they had learned there lessons with the teases like that though, I preferred seeing the next character at the end of trailers. The little "teases" didn't go over well last time so don't know why they thought that would have changed.

Skab

Yeah but there's always a chance they are just messing with us. I thought they had learned there lessons with the teases like that though, I preferred seeing the next character at the end of trailers. The little "teases" didn't go over well last time so don't know why they thought that would have changed.

I don't really remember anyone not liking the teases in season 1, but maybe I was just unaware of it. I personally enjoyed them.

Also, tease is all they could do. TJ only had 6 weeks of work done on him and I doubt they had anything even started on any other characters yet.

.la1n

I don't really remember anyone not liking the teases in season 1, but maybe I was just unaware of it. I personally enjoyed them.

Also, tease is all they could do. TJ only had 6 weeks of work done on him and I doubt they had anything even started on any other characters yet.

It was mostly the lone tomahawk tease for Thunder and the amount of time between that and when he was actually shown. After that they said going forward they were actually going to show more at the end of the character trailers. Although to be fair I don't know if IG has even had enough time to have an actual in game Cinder model to show.

DrDogg

So as Thunder am I just in a guessing game here? Is there any other options I have that lead to better outcomes that do not require meter? I don't want to base my decision on having meter and then get in a situation I don't have it. I am the lowest level player possible, so things that are easy to execute are much more likely for me to be able to pull off. I am not going to be able to execute a DP exactly 6 frames before Sabre reaches my so my DP is just becoming active.

This is all you really need to know...

If Wulf runs from a distance, just interrupt him. Also, the uppercut is safe, but not frame advantage, so depending on the speed/range of your fastest attack, you can beat out Wulf to his next attack.

Also, armor should always be an option for Thunder. Ever combo should end with the meter ender (Ankle Slicer) unless the damage ender will finish off the opponent. Because of this, you should almost always have meter for Shadow CotE or Shadow Triplax. When you have meter the opponent cannot attack recklessly after a safe attack because of the armor on Shadow Triplax.

Unless it's a new character. I'm fairly certain it's Cinder as well, but it "could" be a new character of some sort.

I think they had to tease in this case because the model for Cinder (or whoever that is) isn't done. Combo had only been in development for 6 weeks. I wouldn't expect them to have a final model for the next character that's ready show. We'll see him at Evo though.

Skab

It was mostly the lone tomahawk tease for Thunder and the amount of time between that and when he was actually shown. After that they said going forward they were actually going to show more at the end of the character trailers. Although to be fair I don't know if IG has even had enough time to have an actual in game Cinder model to show.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one.

And yeah, I doubt they really have any sort of in game asset ready for Cinder. Hopefully whenever the announce the next character, the next tease will be something more complete.

.la1n

I'm pretty positive that it's Cinder, and not some other character.

They are going to veer too far from his original design aren't they? He's going to look like crap isn't he?

:(

I'm about to find out how Glacius fans must have felt when he was revealed.

DrDogg

They are going to veer too far from his original design aren't they? He's going to look like crap isn't he?

How much can you change the design and have it still be Cinder? I don't know very many people that like the design of Combo, but there was a ton of stuff you can do/change about Combo that people may or may not like.

With Cinder, it's the silhouette of a man who is essentially flaming or made of lava. He has no clothes, no real face, or anything you can really mess with. I don't see how you can even update that much aside from doing KI1 with better graphics...

I honestly don't see them going drastically far from his original design. Probably just a few things and added effects. Plus he'd have the classic outfit, which wouldn't be that crazy to do. Just a naked flaming guy with basically no face.

I honestly gotten used to his design, and learned to appreciate. The only person I really have a problem with, is Jago, but I have the classic to fix that. :3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

If it is Cinder (it probably is), I wish they included something that sounded like his old ridiculous drowning voice. It could have been SO obvious. But maybe they don't have an actor in place yet...

Wow. Thank you. I didn't think about half of those options. I will try them out. At low level play I think half the battle might just punishing special moves and maxing out combos. I have a ways to go, but thank you for the advice :)

Ever since I read this I have had a much different attitude when getting Ultra'd. Thank you for posting this. The main problem I have is when I am angry, I am not learning. So keep a decently level head has proved to improve my play. So thanks for the reply.

Quite welcome! :) I always try to think about my fights in pieces. Makes it much harder to get mad over losing, too, If each battle is a collection of situations and choices, rather than just a pure W/L angerfest.

This is all you really need to know...

If Wulf runs from a distance, just interrupt him. Also, the uppercut is safe, but not frame advantage, so depending on the speed/range of your fastest attack, you can beat out Wulf to his next attack.

Also, armor should always be an option for Thunder. Ever combo should end with the meter ender (Ankle Slicer) unless the damage ender will finish off the opponent. Because of this, you should almost always have meter for Shadow CotE or Shadow Triplax. When you have meter the opponent cannot attack recklessly after a safe attack because of the armor on Shadow Triplax.

*nod* I wonder how much of this would change if they were to give him Aerial Re-capture?

At least now it'll totally be Iron Galaxy's fault if the design is weird! Or maybe Microsoft Studios. I wonder if he'll only fully "Flame on" when he's in instinct? Having a constant strong lightsource in a 3D game sounds completely annoying, but as a powerup bonus? Cool.

We really don't have too many wild, or crazed looking members of the cast now. I could see them using the concept of "a man constantly on fire" to work with the idea of it being something like a constant living hell for him, with flames seeping out of a somewhat human looking body... except when he's in instinct. Something like the damaged Seth costume from Street Fighter IV?

Or he could be constantly burning sinews and muscle tissue atop bone, with flesh that's constantly trying to reform, but is quickly burned away, save for at his feet and hands. Unless they make his accessories different firey shapes, I could see them going for something like that...

I'm honestly more curious about what Cinders play style will be like.

At first I was going to say a rushdown character, but i'm thinking he'll be balance/well-rounded character.

I just want to see what he'll be capable of.

Also, nobody can use Instinct in the air, right? :0 I wonder if there will be a character that can do so.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm honestly more curious about what Cinders play style will be like.

Fantasy Moveset time!:

Constant flight mode! At least for appearances. He still gets hit as if he were standing.

Combo Trait "Ignite Doubles", he adds on a DoT effect to his enemies. Duration of burn is effected by how many doubles he adds. Ignites don't add hitstun, just damage. Hitting Cinder cures the burns.

However, this makes it so characters recover from his potential damage slower, giving him a longer time to cash in on dropped combos.

Main opener and uppercut both involve him turning himself into a projectile, and rocketing at the opponent. One at an angle, one straight. This can eat fireballs, and can be done in midair. But as a trade off, no form of them are fully safe, save the Shadow versions.

Whenever he hits as a projectile, he leaves a bit of Molten flame on the ground. If the opponent stands in said flame, it increases the time of Ignite, and ticks away at their health like poison.

He has a flight mode, but it's mostly just a fancy short hop. He instantly falls out of it upon attacking. This increases his movement speed, however, and allow him to attack from unusual angles for tricky mixup, as well as hover over crouch normals.

Instinct makes all his normal and specials spit flames, and not just projectile movement. Thus, the extra ticks make him safer on block, allowing him to stick people in annoying damage-tick setups. The downside to this is that even his aggressive, advantage-giving hits can now be shadow countered.

He has no meter-build ender, since he gets meter from burns.

One of his specials is lighting a patch of the ground aflame. Different button, different distance. Shadow version ignites 50% of the ground, rather than a 33% portion. 1 on screen at a time. His unique dash is Morrigan style triangle dash, and he can cancel into it off certain command normals. This is quicker than his fly / unfly mixups, but harder to get into.

His unique place in the game is one of the anti-camper. He basically leaves dangerzones on the screen, that make it so one can't safely throw fireballs all day, or stay out of combat for long. He neuters run-away by leaving wounds and making the very environment dangerous. He's a high-speed offensive character, that also has to constantly put himself at risk to get people into his most damaging attacks. He and Glacius have one of the oddest matchups in the game, since they each have perfect tools to neutralize the others advantages.

bumpkin

Sweet! Completed the "Come at me" challenge today; finished last month's (beat Eyedol twice) too a week or so prior to the deadline. Just wish I could get confirmation from the powers that be that my Pin Ultimate registration was good to go.

Has anyone with the Pin Ultimate gotten their pin promo code for the Eyedol challenge yet?

Sweet! Completed the "Come at me" challenge today; finished last month's (beat Eyedol twice) too a week or so prior to the deadline. Just wish I could get confirmation from the powers that be that my Pin Ultimate registration was good to go.

Has anyone with the Pin Ultimate gotten their pin promo code for the Eyedol challenge yet?

I haven't received an email yet.

Top Bottom