• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

deviant1

I hope they buff Fulgore for S2. Either give him a traditional shadow bar for shadow moves/shadow counters/etc. and save the reactor gauge for special cancels, mobility, and the beam. Either that or give him more/safer ways to get reactor pips like maybe off of enders or something like that. Right now he has to sacrifice too much to try and gain meter.

Agreed. I still can't believe they wasted a slot in s1 on Sadira.

I like Sadira and I'm glad they put a new character in S1. It gives me confidence that the devs (well at least Double Helix) could build a new character from the ground up that not only fits in but plays well too.

I hope that Riptor makes it into S2. I'd gladly trade off any of the KI2 characters for Riptor.

.la1n

If they aren't planning on including the rest of the classic cast, at least the cast from KI 1 then this game is a joke, sorry. We didn't wait this long for new entry in the series to play "fighting game 3.0 featuring some KI characters." That's what new IP is for.

As for Combo being "complete." Is that in the sense or mechanics or design? If the former than very impressive if the latter then...lol.

DrDogg

I'd be pretty disappointed if we didn't get all the original characters by season 2 to be honest. :/

I would too, but it makes sense from a financial standpoint. You need something to sell season three.

I hope they buff Fulgore for S2. Either give him a traditional shadow bar for shadow moves/shadow counters/etc. and save the reactor gauge for special cancels, mobility, and the beam. Either that or give him more/safer ways to get reactor pips like maybe off of enders or something like that. Right now he has to sacrifice too much to try and gain meter.

That was my suggestion to them. Make the Reactor and Shadow meters separate.

I hope that Riptor makes it into S2. I'd gladly trade off any of the KI2 characters for Riptor.

I think we'll see at least one KI2 character in season two. My reasoning for thinking Riptor would be left out is that if you need a character (or two) to sell season three, none of the KI2 characters have enough pull. We've already seen Combo, and it's basically a guarantee Cinder is coming. That only leaves Riptor from the KI1 cast.

If they aren't planning on including the rest of the classic cast, at least the cast from KI 1 then this game is a joke, sorry. We didn't wait this long for new entry in the series to play "fighting game 3.0 featuring some KI characters." That's what new IP is for.

As for Combo being "complete." Is that in the sense or mechanics or design? If the former than very impressive if the latter then...lol.

The way it was explained to me is that from a financial standpoint, you need something to sell season three with. If season three is completely new characters, it won't have the same draw as season one or season two. That makes sense to me, and I understand why we may not see all of the KI1/2 characters by the end of season two. Of course nothing is guaranteed either way. I'm just prepared to miss out on Riptor and/or anyone else who may go missing until season three.

As for Combo, he felt complete in every sense. He was missing his Ultra, and there were a few minor glitches here and there, but otherwise I would not have an issue with that exact version of Combo being introduced to the game next week.

.la1n

The way it was explained to me is that from a financial standpoint, you need something to sell season three with. If season three is completely new characters, it won't have the same draw as season one or season two. That makes sense to me, and I understand why we may not see all of the KI1/2 characters by the end of season two. Of course nothing is guaranteed either way. I'm just prepared to miss out on Riptor and/or anyone else who may go missing until season three.

As for Combo, he felt complete in every sense. He was missing his Ultra, and there were a few minor glitches here and there, but otherwise I would not have an issue with that exact version of Combo being introduced to the game next week.

While I understand the thought process, we don't even know there will be a Season 3. I'm not buying into a Season 2 with missing characters on the chance that I might get to see my favorites from the classics return some day in 2016/2017. That's not good enough. That's not even taking into account that it's a selfish financial reason to hold off on including the classic characters in the first place. If they don't believe their original creations can carry a Season 3 on their own then don't make a Season 3. What do you do when you are on Season 4 and there are no more classics to bait out purchases from?

Ok. Finished up how I would have done TJ Combo :D

cBEdIli.jpg

My thought process breakdown:

• US Flag Tank Top: It's not TJ without this. I tried to design one that didn't look as corny as just a flag on a shirt. Kind of proud of the Combo logo lol.
  • Eye Patch: Because I fucking love eye patches. I always thought that was one of the coolest things about his design from KI2. He definitely needs this because.
  • Flat Top: I always liked the silhouette this made in the old games. You could shave his head sure, but that's no fun. Video games don't need more bald dudes.
  • Pants: Probably spent more time thinking about this than anything else lol. I feel like shorts (like his black one's from KI1 and the new game's design) make him look too much like a basketball player when combined with the tank top. You could make them shorter boxing shorts but then he starts to look too much like a Balrog knock off. Alternatively, his camo pants (from KI2) never really made sense to me and clash with his red, white, and blue shirt so in the end I met in the middle with black pants. I had toyed with the idea of sweat pants that I could put some more flag motifs on but decided to pull back and stick to jeans. I see TJ as a street fighter since he can't box professionally anymore so I think his outfit should look like something he would just wear casually and he gets challenged on the street all the time. A full shirt and pants flag outfit doesn't really fit with that since it starts to look like a corny uniform.
  • Sneakers: Along those lines, that's why I went with sneakers instead of boxing shoes which most people aren't going to wear outside the ring.
  • MMA Gloves: TJ was a boxer but let's be real. One of this dude's special moves is a tiger knee and he does grappling moves in the new one so I see him as a MMA fighter with a specialty in boxing. The MMA gloves then serve as a nod to KI1's boxing gloves while not looking comical. The new design came to the same conclusion.
  • Beard: Kind of stole this idea from the new game's design. I think it does make sense to age him up a bit and some facial hair is a good way to do that. TJ has always been flashy though, so I think an overly manicured beard makes more sense than a straight goatee. Plus it gives him a little more character.
  • Bionic Arms: I know I'm continuing the "cyborg black dude" cliche but fuck it. I like cyber arms. Since it's something that's always been hidden under his skin, I thought it would be cool if you just saw the circuitry glowing from under his skin. It's funny because I thought this up independently before realizing the new design has more or less the same concept (except with scars). I imagine it working almost exactly the same where they're mostly visible during special moves and glow/pulse more intensely during Instinct.

hwalker84

• US Flag Tank Top: It's not TJ without this. I tried to design one that didn't look as corny as just a flag on a shirt. Kind of proud of the Combo logo lol.
  • Eye Patch: Because I fucking love eye patches. I always thought that was one of the coolest things about his design from KI2. He definitely needs this because.
  • Flat Top: I always liked the silhouette this made in the old games. You could shave his head sure, but that's no fun. Video games don't need more bald dudes.
  • Pants: Probably spent more time thinking about this than anything else lol. I feel like shorts (like his black one's from KI1 and the new game's design) make him look too much like a basketball player when combined with the tank top. You could make them shorter boxing shorts but then he starts to look too much like a Balrog knock off. Alternatively, his camo pants (from KI2) never really made sense to me and clash with his red, white, and blue shirt so in the end I met in the middle with black pants. I had toyed with the idea of sweat pants that I could put some more flag motifs on but decided to pull back and stick to jeans. I see TJ as a street fighter since he can't box professionally anymore so I think his outfit should look like something he would just wear casually and he gets challenged on the street all the time. A full shirt and pants flag outfit doesn't really fit with that since it starts to look like a corny uniform.
  • Sneakers: Along those lines, that's why I went with sneakers instead of boxing shoes which most people aren't going to wear outside the ring.
  • MMA Gloves: TJ was a boxer but let's be real. One of this dude's special moves is a tiger knee and he does grappling moves in the new one so I see him as a MMA fighter with a specialty in boxing. The MMA gloves then serve as a nod to KI1's boxing gloves while not looking comical. The new design came to the same conclusion.
  • Beard: Kind of stole this idea from the new game's design. I think it does make sense to age him up a bit and some facial hair is a good way to do that. TJ has always been flashy though, so I think an overly manicured beard makes more sense than a straight goatee. Plus it gives him a little more character.
  • Bionic Arms: I know I'm continuing the "cyborg black dude" cliche but fuck it. I like cyber arms. Since it's something that's always been hidden under his skin, I thought it would be cool if you just saw the circuitry glowing from under his skin. It's funny because I thought this up independently before realizing the new design has more or less the same concept (except with scars). I imagine it working almost exactly the same where they're mostly visible during special moves and glow/pulse more intensely during Instinct.

I say your design plus Iron Galaxies arms. I believe the scars are because he had the cybernetics removed.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???

Nice work, I agree with a lot of your points too.

Biggest gripes I have with IG's current version of him are

-no eye patch (wtf, he cant grow an eye back and it looked cool as Hell, why remove it?)
-his face (I know its in the future but he still looks way too old...and odd)
-his arms/gloves are lacking dat hype (give him something unique here, I expected a bit more from IG with how they would handle the most important part of the character)

Again I dont hate TJ's current look, its just way too middle of the road boring.
I had the opportunity to record a couple of TJ Combo walkthrough videos with Iron Galaxy's Adam Keits whilst at E3. Hope you all enjoy them! :)

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/e3-2014-exclusive-tj-combo-walkthrough-video-with-iron-galaxys-adam-keits/
Thanks for posting this, nice to get a walkthrough from a dev.

LTWheels

Nice work, I agree with a lot of your points too.

Biggest gripes I have with IG's current version of him are

-no eye patch (wtf, he cant grow an eye back and it looked cool as Hell, why remove it?)
-his face (I know its in the future but he still looks way too old...and odd)
-his arms/gloves are lacking dat hype (give him something unique here, I expected a bit more from IG with how they would handle the most important part of the character)

Again I dont hate TJ's current look, its just way too middle of the road boring.

Come on, we all know that the eye patch will be an accessory either for his main costume or the classic costume. It's not a big deal that it's currently missing.

I like that he looks 'normal'. In a game surrounded by robots, aliens and werewolves; being normal actually makes him standout. I like that he is just some guy.

tapedeck

Come on, we all know that the eye patch will be an accessory either for his main costume or the classic costume. It's not a big deal that it's currently missing.
Oh Im sure it will be an accessory, but I just think it should be his standard look considering YOU CANT GROW BACK EYEBALLS.

I like that he looks 'normal'. In a game surrounded by robots, aliens and werewolves; being normal actually makes him standout. I like that he is just some guy.
Nope. His design is just boring, nothing memorable on him from head to toe. Id say the exact same thing if you plugged him into SF4. But hey if you like how he looks great I guess.

Edit: If IG simply re-did his profile Id probably like his current look alot more, but again his face looks very odd to me.

Synth

Oh Im sure it will be an accessory, but I just think it should be his standard look considering YOU CANT GROW BACK EYEBALLS.

In a game containing a shape-shifting alien, a reanimated skeleton (with working voice), a living being of fire, a woman that transforms into a flaming cat, a semi-human dinosaur, plus three (assumed) time travellers... I'm willing to accept that there is now ways to grow an eye back.

EDIT: Especially if Riptor ends up being the same Riptor as in KI1, as that would imply that some things along the timeline have definitely been altered.

tapedeck

In a game containing a shape-shifting alien, a reanimated skeleton (with working voice), a living being of fire, a woman that transforms into a flaming cat, a semi-human dinosaur, plus three (assumed) time travellers... I'm willing to accept that there is now ways to grow an eye back.
Lol, I figured this would be a response to what I said, still the eyepatch looked great and made perfect sense in the storyline to keep on his default look. But whatever Ill let it go, Im sure itll be an accessory.

VariantX

this looks good. And you didn't forget the eyepatch either. Dunno how they forgot the eyepatch since he lost a damn eye to riptor. Its not really an optional thing they can just gloss over like that.

I need to see Riptor come back, i'm actually most excited for her. I want to the design that she'll be having.

Plus i'm also excited for a new Beast character, whenever they get around to making one. I'm curious as to what it'd be.

Thanks everybody! I know the new game got rid of the cyber arms and I would have got rid of them too if I didn't like the circuitry idea or if Saberwulf still had his. Like I said, I just like cyber arms a lot. I do think the scars on the new design are pretty interesting though. I like the redemption angle and it makes sense that part of that means he would have had them removed. I would explain that in my version that he doesn't have access to the same technology as Saberwulf and couldn't have them removed. Maybe his motivation for winning the tourny is to get that access.

I like that angle, but I think he looks too normal minus the scars. He should look interesting outside of the context of the fantastical characters. Orchid for example looks like a normal human when she's not turning in to a fire cat but she looks interesting.

Heatshade

Neo Member
giphy.gif

They haven't finished making his Ultra yet. They're using a placeholder for now.

I kinda forgot how each ultra had its own launching height in the original one. Like Chief Thunder would knock you so high into the air! :D Would be nice if IG used that again.

Max mentioned that their is a rail car (train?) that crashes through the bridge overhead.

Cant wait to see that! This stage just cries for a knock off too.

.la1n

Would the fact that I'm from AU be why I can't find ranked matches or take a loooooooooooooooooooong time to find ranked matches?

Supposedly the online matchmaking isn't region locked so it shouldn't be causing an issue. Although since the patch that fixed the jail issues I have heard complaints of users out the United States having a difficult time finding matches vs people within the United States. An issue not present in the original release of the game.

The Flash

Banned
For those looking to mix their KI with Minecraft:

Faith from Mirror's Edge and two riders from Trials will also be included in this new, as of yet, undated skin pack. Fulgore and Spinal look pretty good in my opinion.

Top Bottom