• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Ont

The only damn lesson I can't complete... Stupid manuals. Every time I think I have the timing right, it never works in the heat of the moment. Super frustrating.

Truth be told, things came to me a lot easier once I switched to using my Fightstick (CronusMax FTW!), but that one darn lesson set still makes me its bitch.

In manuals tutorial you can use instinct cancel to make the combos easier.

Timu

Same guy just did Sabrewulf and Thunder now.
EfQAwRY.jpg

VoSs399.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't really like that Orchid hair. It kills the style that her model now has, and makes her head look rather small.

The other things are pretty solid. I hadn't seen the Saberwulf (that's probably the best of the bunch, honestly) before, but the Thunder was definitely around on the old DH forums.

Again, I'd love to know what Artist / Modelers Iron Galaxy has working with them now. We got a bit of info on the old DH guys, but little to know whose handling the designs going into S2.

(Has to look to see where KI appeared on TV again) Kinda cool this keeps on happening, lol. How many times do console-born downloadable-only games get that kind of treatment? Aside from something like Minecraft...

(watched) Heh heh texting to Live. Boy's a bit of a jerk, lol. I'm quite glad messages don't REALLY stop your game cold like that. Surprised there's no obvious Kinect integrated "XBOX, GO HOME!" or such moment in there.

.la1n

Sabrewulf looks better, the head and beefiness of the original is what was always the problem. While Thunder we have now may not be as close to the original KI as people would prefer the model itself is detailed and looks better than most of the other offerings. The original was was found offensive to Native Americans so I respect they won't be bringing back aspects of it's design.

It's obvious the consumer base has a pretty big issue with most of the classic alternates from season one, I am sure IG is well aware of that at this point. I am just not sure we will ever see anything done, I think they are extremely busy working on season two right now and won't have the resources to devote to any season one content changes.

If Microsoft wanted to I am sure they could facilitate a way to have some of these issues resolved without placing additional burden on the team. At the end of the day, however, it comes down to money. It doesn't make financial sense to devote resources to fixing models. The only thing to gain would be good will from your user base, final decision lies with them whether they think that is worth it or not.

Can someone explain to me what was offensive about Thunder's original design? Serious question. I just don't understand what's offensive about that one when the new one is ok. I'd honestly like to know.

Timu

Dem highlights:

Panel consisted of Alex Jebailey (Community Manager for Iron Galaxy), Torin Rettig (Producer at Microsoft), Adam Heart (Lead Combat Designer at Iron Galaxy), Adam Isgreen (Creative Director at Microsoft), James Goddard (Design Director at Microsoft), Ken Lobb (Creative Director at Microsoft), Cambel (Game Designer at Microsoft), Chad Newhouse (Art Director at Iron Galaxy), Dave Lang (CEO of Iron Galaxy)
Double Helix did an amazing job in Season 1, Killer Instinct has been a huge success
With Double Helix moving on there was a short time table to find the right developer
Iron Galaxy made tons of sense, lots of experience with fighting games and lots of passion for fighting games
Iron Galaxy has lots of technical acumen, had to take over an engine that wasn’t theirs, they are skilled in doing so from past endeavors
Paraphrasing Dave Lang, “Picking up another game is like dating a friends ex-girlfriend. She is super hot and this is gonna be awesome but I need to make sure my friend is cool with it.”
Double Helix said they can’t do Season 2 and they would love for Iron Galaxy to do it, Double Helix had lots of respect for Iron Galaxy
Iron Galaxy had less than 3 months to produce the E3 demo
Philosophy for starting Season 2 was if it ain’t broke…
Still learning a lot about Killer Instinct from Season 1 so it is important not to break it
“Putting crazy new shit in Season 2″
Air recaptures now a part of Killer Instinct with TJ Combo
Don’t break what’s there but need to compete with the new crazy stuff that is being added with Season 2
2 way interaction is the base of Killer Instinct, there are a couple situations where 2 way interaction is broken right now
Roster diversity is also very important and was set by Season 1, very little overlap with current characters, Season 2 will continue to add new diverse characters
Season 2 will be more wild with diversity and ways to play Killer Instinct than Season 1
Killer Instinct how you want it, free game with rotating game and buy individual characters or get a bundle
More content coming, cooler content coming and new modes coming
Continue to release content over time just like Season 1
Outreach to community and listening to the community will still be important
Jail System from Season 1 needs some fixing, the community voted and most people wanted to keep Jail on until a new approach or fix is implemented
Jail will be kept on for now until a solution is ready
Huge update is coming (not sure when) and it will reset stats on Jail, there is now a way to detect who disconnected (will only penalize person who quit, had the problem or pulled the cable) and they will accurately appropriate wins based on this new detection
Selective buffing and adjusting
Fulgore right now is very difficult to use, Iron Galaxy is going to try some things in studio to make Fulgore more accessible
Main problem is Fulgore has to charge meter instead of playing the game
Leash put on Ken Lobb before he leaked all of Season 2
There will be more content in Season 2 than Season 1
Drastic change coming to how you access the content in Killer Instinct, the changes are not just about characters and stages, there will be stuff to expand online, expand single player experience
Recapture changes a lot
Air Counter Breakers are coming, expand 2 way interaction into the air, juggling and counter breaker will no longer be free
Every character will be able to recapture with air counter breaker, example is when Sadira throws a character into the air, she can counter breaker and if successful put the player back on the ground and continue the combo
TJ Combos mechanical elements have been surgically removed so he has scaring on his arms, MMA styled with gloves and wraps
TJ Combo can cancel out of his powerline into footwork options, you can now do these footwork options without the powerline
TJ Combo’s appearance has also been changed since E3, keep the comments coming as changes can still happen
TJ Combo is actually just shy of Thunder’s size and not as small as people think but regardless changes are going in that will make TJ Combo appear bigger with changes to his rig
8 characters will be in Season 2, mix of new and returning characters
By the time the Season launches we will know most of the cast, will probably hold a couple back just like Spinal and Fulgore in Season 1
Insanely varied and insane crazy new archetypes that are going to be brought into Killer Instinct, even some stuff that has not been seen in other fighting games, wild cast is very important
Ranked in fighting games is kind of stuck in a rut right now, no leagues at the moment, looks at Starcraft for example
The ladders will be changed, can’t say how exactly yet but it will be changed
Should it be one or best of 3 for a ranked match, let Iron Galaxy and Microsoft know
Mortal Kombat owns fatalities, stage interactions will appear first as “Stage Ultras”, “Stay Tuned”
Maya announced
Maya is a warrior, hunter, badass
Incan inspired, Latin origin, monster hunter
Gameplay focus is ancient blades
Still has twin daggers named “Temperance” and “Vengeance”
Her daggers will be the bread and butter of her offense
They will be used in all of her punch-based normals
She can throw each of them independently and quickly after each other as they rebound off her opponent
If you miss with a dagger throw you will lose access to all the moves associated with it until the dagger is retrieved from the ground
All dagger associated attacks will be temporarily disabled while in this state which will hinder offensive options
The daggers level up with consecutive hits
When the daggers level up they will gain new properties until you miss a throw
At the highest level you can combine the two daggers that can be used as a homing, unblockable projectile.
New stage called City of Dawn set in South America
A lot more links between characters stories and pasts than Season 1

We're in for a great season.

Jinaar

I took my time really getting into KI so I'm really behind the curve. Any tips for a beginner?

Last night I played for a good 3 hours and really had a hard time playing locally against the computer. I started to introduce more footsy work to bait so I wouldn't get combo'ed into a stupor. It worked out ok. Not great. Still couldn't beat the final CPU character Fulgore with Saberwolf. Was a hate crime against wolves it was.

Using XBONE Controller - not liking my HP/HK locations but makes combo'ing easier.
X = LP
Y = MP
A = LK
B = MK
RB = HP
RT = HK

One tip is just to goto the dojo and train. I'll put some effort into that tonight. I guess other than that it's just the basic: play more more more more.

But if anyone has something random to suggest, feel free! I'm all ears.

Synth

Thought Id post these, this dude Shadowman from the KI forums made them.

Really shows how much better some of these classic could have been. Ill bet he makes a Sabrewulf one soon too.

I'm not even going to lie... I'd be willing to purchase these as a separate Classic Costume Fix DLC. Would even pledge to a Kickstarter for it, lol.

I know that makes me a terrible person, but my nostalgia is worth a lot to me.

abadguy

Banned
Can someone explain to me what was offensive about Thunder's original design? Serious question. I just don't understand what's offensive about that one when the new one is ok. I'd honestly like to know.

Yeah i never saw what was offensive about it either. I mean yeah it was god awful and looked like something Leifeld would come up with but offensive? Not seeing it.

Rlan

Yeah i never saw what was offensive about it either. I mean yeah it was god awful and looked like something Leifeld would come up with but offensive? Not seeing it.

For me the Audio for the original Thunder is pretty offputting. Some dude going "Heeyohuuuyumherreeheaa" sounds more like "Hey you, do "Indian" sounds".

I'm not even saying it's not offensive to Native Americans. Just that I'm totally ignorant to why. I assumed it was because it was like "Hey here's an Indian character so lets give him face paint and tomahawks." but that literally describes the new design exactly so I have no clue. As someone who likes to do some character design, I'd like to know so I can avoid it in the future.

For me the Audio for the original Thunder is pretty offputting. Some dude going "Heeyohuuuyumherreeheaa" sounds more like "Hey you, do "Indian" sounds".
Yeah, that part makes total sense.

The thing that was offensive within the design of Classic Thunder:

- The stereotypical chants that people do within Native Americans
- His skin basically being red (Think of when people say Asians have yellow skin)
- His feather hawk, was no ordinary mohawk, it was implanted in his head

Synth

- His skin basically being red (Think of when people say Asians have yellow skin)

Pretty much all of that could have been solved without making him look nothing like the original though tbh. Only the mohawk would have required much attention, and simply making it taller, thinner and roughly the right color would have been enough.

That all makes sense. It's too bad they couldn't have made the classic costume closer then. Only thing you would need to change is his mohawk to actual hair which they already did.

bumpkin

oh well that's not good lol. what challenge was it for?
I think it was for whichever challenge the fire cat was being awarded for. The challenge that ended June 16th?

My pin registration is still borked for some reason, but the MS community guy who posts here occasionally (Mike Robles) got in touch with me over PM and was able to verify I completed it and provide me with a pin promo code.

I think it was for whichever challenge the fire cat was being awarded for. The challenge that ended June 16th?

My pin registration is still borked for some reason, but the MS community guy who posts here occasionally (Mike Robles) got in touch with me over PM and was able to verify I completed it and provide me with a pin promo code.

I just PMed him. It was for beating Eyedol with 2 characters, and I did that a while ago lol.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
EfQAwRY.jpg
Wow, probably the best of the bunch. Kinda sad that I would actually pay more money just to have this instead of the current classic lol.

abadguy

Banned

Ah ok. So it was his mannerisms more than his look. I didn't play much KI back in the day ( a few games on my bro's SNES and it didn't click with me at all) so i don't remember much about how Thunder was in the original other than his design.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I have this feeling Mick Gordon is not returning...

But another feeling I have is that beanland is and they are announcing at gamescom

.la1n

But another feeling I have is that beanland is and they are announcing at gamescom

I love the shit out of what Mick Gordon has done, having said that if Beanland were to come on board it would be god like.

I agree with the Mick feeling, I don't understand Beanland feeling though.

If neither of them are working on it I will be really disappointed.

.la1n

Saw a tweet from Iron Galaxy that there is a patch on the way that will be fixing some minor bugs and sport the revamped jail system.

Silky

Banned
Mick ain't coming back fellas.
;~;. Though Mick leaving and being replaced by Beanland would be nice. But the thing is KI's soundtrack was done by Beano ANd Graeme Norgate. Still missing a half.

But...I BELIEVE IN MICK. DREAMS DON'T DIE.

Saw a tweet from Iron Galaxy that there is a patch on the way that will be fixing some minor bugs and sport the revamped jail system.

Sweet.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Good news. Mick just basically confirmed hes back for season 2.

He posted this tease/sound clip on twitter like 15 mins ago

https://vine.co/v/M2XUjTr1lTW

And if you pause at the beginning, bam

pL4xuav.png

KI2 TJ Combo Snare
I was actually startting to think Beanland was doing S2..would have been fantastic, but hey really glad to see Mick is back. I expect his work to get even better for the new stages.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I was going to say mick did do the tj combo trailer

But then again... i dont remember any snares

But good to see he uses izotope ozone eq... good taste ;)

.la1n

Weird information politics with this game continues. Why not just tell the fans?
"Yes, Mick is working on it, more soon" or something? It's not that hard...

There is very little that has been competently handled when it comes to public relations with this game, no surprise it would continue going forward.

Top Bottom