• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Sydle

Enjoyed the panel discussion. Glad to hear they are going to take more risks and keep listening for feedback.

Maya looks fantastic and I'm intrigued by the blade bouncing concept. She was the last character I expected back, so now I'm sure we'll see the entire original cast back even if it takes until season 3.

Hoping for Cinder reveal today, but I'm fine with waiting a bit more. I'm starting to get the feeling he may be this season's Fulgore/last release.

Purdy

Where is the best learning material for this game?

Really want to get into it, I seem to be able to start enough combos/poke people, but I seem to end up panicking and mashing until I do a shadow move or ender for fear of dropping and only doing 20% damage or so. In comparison to my opponents who seem to drop 40+% on me regularly so I'm having to get into combos twice as much as them.

For Sadira how do you do the web traps? I see them in videos and stuff but the only web moves I can see in command list are quarter circle forward/back in air.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Love all this Thunder. I actually haven't caught much KI Tourney play oddly enough, so this is a bit of a treat for me.

I'm... pretty concerned with how different the gameplay could become with Aerial Combo / Counter Breakers. So not sold on that idea, Guess we have to see the rules around it first.

Really, for a year 1 of a game, the small roster doesn't seem to matter much here. Seems as full of variety as anything else.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
you know... some times i think KI should slowly work it's way into an SF/KI hybrid type of game with less emphasis on combos to make the game more exciting from an outside perspective.

like... the only time you can combo is when you use a shadow opener or something and shortening the average combo chain. Adding things like air blocking and stuff...

it always seems like the times when the game is at the best is when the combo chains are the smallest... and the least devastating.

the average combo in the new KI is higher than the typical maximum in the original game...

So with all the EVO stuff I ended up playing some KI for the first time a while and I keep running into a lot of freezing issues. Is this something that's common or is it just something wrong on my end because I've had it freeze about 7 times in the past couple hours and just now it completely froze on back to back ranked matches.

Edit: Just froze on me three more times. This blows.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So with all the EVO stuff I ended up playing some KI for the first time a while and I keep running into a lot of freezing issues. Is this something that's common or is it just something wrong on my end because I've had it freeze about 7 times in the past couple hours and just now it completely froze on back to back ranked matches.

Edit: Just froze on me three more times. This blows.

Restart your system, it's not a normal occurrence

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
you know... some times i think KI should slowly work it's way into an SF/KI hybrid type of game with less emphasis on combos to make the game more exciting from an outside perspective.

No No, it should be based on Short Hops pressure like KOF! *personal Bias*. I dunno... I think in a game like this, it's fine to have a character that changes the feel within their own gameplay. Kind of like how Combo has his special combo trail: everything looks like an ender.

I still love how unique Glacius looks, for example. Almost like watching a Mu or V-13 in Blazblue. You can say "These types wouldn't meet in any other game but __!"

like... the only time you can combo is when you use a shadow opener or something and shortening the average combo chain. Adding things like air blocking and stuff...

To first part, I could see that as a chara style, but how would that help normal play? Real combos are some of the most hype things in a fighter. If anything, the fact that pro-level combos are so short and "anti-KI" seemed to be the biggest buzzkill. Even when people got lockouts, normally, they didn't take damage to the limit... they just landed their ender and begane the wakeup meta again.

As far as air block... eh... I could see it making it easier for people to move aggressively on each other, but I don't think it'd change much without airdash. Which is something I don't think this game needs universally; the lack of aerial safety emphasizes the footsie game, and the lack of UBER GAT-LIKE DPs makes it so jumps are actually useful for more than SRK-FADC-ULTRA style damage-for-little-effort tradeoffs.

it always seems like the times when the game is at the best is when the combo chains are the smallest... and the least devastating.

the average combo in the new KI is higher than the typical maximum in the original game...

Best from which perspective though? Do the quick little 20~40% damage combos draw crowd attention? If anything, I figure one who doesn't know the mental game of KI would just find it dull. The EVO chat actively disliked the fact that the combos were so short and riskless. Which is sad, because KI is built in a way that should be 100% against such a thing happening.

In a way, KI feel similar to Blazblue to me. Everyone is doing small, pick-apart stuff for a time, and then, when the game gets close, it all comes down to one large-damage combo or special...

... except most of the players we saw never landed the large, name-of-the-game stuff. It just stayed "Street Fighter", but rarely became "KI-2013". The way a lot of these people played it just never did KI's strengths.

I had a lot of fun watching things like Spinal and Thunder play. They really seemed to be moving like KI. I loved the SF-ish aspect of the footsies, that looked great and technical, and really spoke to the solid foundation of the game. The conditioning and reads were also very nice, and spoke to the foundation of modern KI...

...But when combos started to end without max damage (I was very surprised by this), risk were not taken, instincts were used for run away instead of maxing damage or turning to the tide... eh. It's like watching a KoF 98 player play XIII, without doing any of XIII's system-specific things.

Kinda makes me worried for Maya, actually. The way many of these guys played, she'd never get to level a dagger. It'd just be weak, "I could do this with anyone" light attacks into enders over and over... :-/

One thing I noticed this time around is there was extensive use of Shadow Counter from a number of players. Didn't really notice it being taken advantage of so much previously outside of punishing blocked Shadow Moves. Considering that's something IG mentioned they'd like to see more, I'm curious what they have in mind to incentivize it.

Purdy

Feeling like putting controller through the screen.

Can't play online, done 40 odd games, 6 wins and I'm being matched with people who are level 26 and im 2?

Decide to go to arcade mode as Sadira, against Glacius and i've lost 22 times in a row on medium, I try to go up high, he creates that ball above his head or the shadow attack, I try to get close, he does those shards from beneath the ground or the 50% screen range attack. Fuck me I'm angry.

51% combos from a medium AI with one meter is utterly infuriating

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Feeling like putting controller through the screen.

Can't play online, done 40 odd games, 6 wins and I'm being matched with people who are level 26 and im 2?

Decide to go to arcade mode as Sadira, against Glacius and i've lost 22 times in a row on medium, I try to go up high, he creates that ball above his head or the shadow attack, I try to get close, he does those shards from beneath the ground or the 50% screen range attack. Fuck me I'm angry.

51% combos from a medium AI with one meter is utterly infuriating
Medium AI in this game is gonna be pretty challenging for someone thats new to it. Have you completed Dojo mode? If not do that first, then I would just mess around in Exhibition mode, set the rank difference limit to like 5 or so, should be a lot less frustrating while you get a feel for the game.

Purdy

Medium AI in this game is gonna be pretty challenging for someone thats new to it. Have you completed Dojo mode? If not do that first, then I would just mess around in Exhibition mode, set the rank difference limit to like 5 or so, should be a lot less frustrating while you get a feel for the game.

Done all of the dojo bar 19, 23 and a couple of the last few I think.

I had to quit when I reached 40 losses, wasn't productive any more. Need to figure out how to get in close without using air and not getting hit by ground spikes/the large range stab.

Is there a forum I should look at for the best combos? I've managed 40%ers with two meters, but nothing like 50%.

tapedeck

I had to quit when I reached 40 losses, wasn't productive any more. Need to figure out how to get in close without using air and not getting hit by ground spikes/the large range stab.

Is there a forum I should look at for the best combos? I've managed 40%ers with two meters, but nothing like 50%.
For Glacius you really want to get in ASAP, his shatter isnt safe so try to recognize the animation and get in before it hits (dashing, shadow openers, etc). His Ice Lance can be tough to deal with, but there are plenty of moves that nullify it just play around in practice mode with whoever your main is, use the record feature.

As for combos, it really isnt hard to get over 40% with any character in this game with just one bar. As long as you are doing opener>auto>linker>auto>ender with one shadow linker in there 40% goes by in no time and if your burning two bars 55-60% is easily attainable unless maybe your using Sadira or Orchid. Keep in mind heavy autos/linkers do a lot more damage but of course are easily broken. Start off using heavy autos and trying to bait for counter breakers after the first one or two land. Check out some of Max's tutorial vids they might help, he goes over alot of the core mechanics and fundamentals.

Razia

You know, I just realized the main I didn't like Combo's redesign (aside from his old face.)

I think default color for his costume is terrible. The color for the white "Trust Your Instinct" shirt and the red and black outfit work much better IMO.

Purdy

For Glacius you really want to get in ASAP, his shatter isnt safe so try to recognize the animation and get in before it hits (dashing, shadow openers, etc). His Ice Lance can be tough to deal with, but there are plenty of moves that nullify it just play around in practice mode with whoever your main is, use the record feature.

As for combos, it really isnt hard to get over 40% with any character in this game with just one bar. As long as you are doing opener>auto>linker>auto>ender with one shadow linker in there 40% goes by in no time and if your burning two bars 55-60% is easily attainable unless maybe your using Sadira or Orchid. Keep in mind heavy autos/linkers do a lot more damage but of course are easily broken. Start off using heavy autos and trying to bait for counter breakers after the first one or two land. Check out some of Max's tutorial vids they might help, he goes over alot of the core mechanics and fundamentals.

Cheers

Yeah I'm using Sadira

bumpkin

The only damn lesson I can't complete... Stupid manuals. Every time I think I have the timing right, it never works in the heat of the moment. Super frustrating.

Truth be told, things came to me a lot easier once I switched to using my Fightstick (CronusMax FTW!), but that one darn lesson set still makes me its bitch.

tapedeck

Thought Id post these, this dude Shadowman from the KI forums made them.

k4ecafH.jpg

uMQjY4U.jpg

0QaWEtT.jpg

Really shows how much better some of these classic could have been. Ill bet he makes a Sabrewulf one soon too.

Sydle

Thought Id post these, this dude Shadowman from the KI forums made them.

k4ecafH.jpg

uMQjY4U.jpg

0QaWEtT.jpg

Really shows how much better some of these classic could have been. Ill bet he makes a Sabrewulf one soon too.

Wow, some small tweaks have made a world of difference. Hopefully IG sees it and does something to get closer to the originals soon.

Top Bottom