• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

What was he responding to?

itlqjMI.png

the vine KIC posted was the one with the KI2 TJ Combo stuff on it (that got deleted)

.la1n

Seems like he possibly had too many projects he was working on to fit season 2 of KI in. Hopefully we get something from IG at SDCC this week regarding who is working on the music.

This is what I was afraid of. It's just going to be so odd just having differents design, that may possibly not match the Season 1 cast along with the music sounding completely different to Season 1. :c

.la1n

This is what I was afraid of. It's just going to be so odd just having differents design, that may possibly not match the Season 1 cast along with the music sounding completely different to Season 1. :c

I know they are trying to do the best they can given the circumstances with Double Helix leaving but I'm not feeling overly confident so far that Season 2 is going to mesh with season 1 very well.

deviant1

Really sucks not having Mick back for S2.

I'm hoping for a Maya trailer and a possible Cinder reveal. I'll take any news at this point since they didn't really give us much at Evo :(

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I expect we won't see cinder until after season 2 begins

I also expect we get a trailer for Maya at gamescom with another reveal or tease

Then we get another reveal for that teased new character with a tease for aria (assuming she is playable) and 3 other characters all at once (launch trailer)

So we are left with trying to figure out the remaining 4 characters... And cinder will be the last

That is my guess

I am still sticking to my no more than four theory

.la1n

Four characters at launch seems like a pretty safe bet, I don't see them having enough time to get anymore than that out on top of all the other things they have to get finished.

Launch?

So they'll finish Combo/Maya/etc and sit on them and make players wait for them until they finish someone else? Why? They already released characters for the game individually, why try to regress back to an expansion pack/"super" version structure instead of embracing their digital download/f2p status and avoiding the old fashioned thinking and arcade roots traditionalism that holds back Japanese fighters when it comes to business model?

DopeyFish

Launch?

So they'll finish Combo/Maya/etc and sit on them and make players wait for them until they finish someone else? Why? They already released characters for the game individually, why try to regress back to an expansion pack/"super" version structure instead of embracing their digital download/f2p status and avoiding the old fashioned thinking and arcade roots traditionalism that holds back Japanese fighters when it comes to business model?

Because they need more content to sell someone who is going to buy the entire season.

That and they are adding in more than just a few characters. UI is being remodelled, stage ultras are being implemented, new modes, new mechanics. They don't even have music for TJ combo stage yet nor is his animations complete. Maya isnt ready to show and neither is her stage. They likely haven't implemented either of their story mode in any fashion (which is going to be more indepth than season 1) they don't even have a VA for her yet.

Dunno why you think they are going to be sitting on anyone when there's still so much work left to be done on the characters they just announced.

.la1n

They aren't going to be sitting on characters, it's like last season in that they will release new content throughout next year as it's completed. It's better this way as you don't have to wait until next year to start playing with the new content. This isn't Capcom, the characters won't be completed before release then locked away :p

They aren't going to be sitting on characters, it's like last season in that they will release new content throughout next year as it's completed. It's better this way as you don't have to wait until next year to start playing with the new content. This isn't Capcom, the characters won't be completed before release then locked away :p

Yeah, but people keep mentioning x number of characters "at launch", making it sound like they'll wait on releasing character a until character b is also complete, so they can do 4 or however many characters at the launch of the season two product.

DopeyFish

Yeah, but people keep mentioning x number of characters "at launch", making it sound like they'll wait on releasing character a until character b is also complete, so they can do 4 or however many characters at the launch of the season two product.

but they aren't just adding characters. They're making new modes, adding new mechanics and the old characters need to be rebalanced... they also need prototypes of their new characters to identify any problems they could run into down the road.

Reasoning for this is because they have said they are trying to maintain having different archetypes for almost every character they add.

At season start they also really need to sell to all those players that paid $20 or $40 to convince them to do it again. Little difficult to do that with just TJ combo, no? Everyone with hands on this project seems to be saying how amazing this season is going to be so i am ok with them taking their time.
edit:

ACK
IToTheG: @SenseiAsad @Mick_Gordon A soundtrack for #Killerinstinct is something considered but nothing to announce yet or about Mick. He is the best.

.la1n

So either they haven't worked out a deal with Mick yet or they aren't ready to announce who is doing audio work because...reasons?

If TJ's stage is still missing background music at SDCC then it's going to be a really bad look for the team.

Silky

Banned
http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=740.0

Next character reveal is a newcomer. And the shortest character in season 2 is 5"4. Also a balance update!

What we're up to:
TJ is in final polishing. New stance, facial animations... he's closer to Thunder height-wise now
Maya is a beast. Like Keits and I have said, she's a risk/reward character, but not in the low health/fast attack way you may be used to.
Maya is taller in-game than I had in the EVO slide deck. She's about 6'2"
Maya's order of monster hunters is Incan in origin, but she herself is not Incan. Her parents were Brazilian, and her lineage is from South and Central American cultures.
Maya is multilingual, so expect that in her dialogue.

And since I can't do live Q&A, here's some random spattering of replies to forum comments:
We're aware of the freezing issues some people are having. Expect a patch in the near future with a bunch of improvements and fixes.
A balance / tuning update will be coming around S2 start. More on that in the coming weeks!
There is no time travel involved in the new KI story, so much like Maya, IF we bring back any characters that had origins in the past, they will be updated with new backstories, but preserve their gameplay style and unique focus.
If/when we reveal Kim Wu, she will be of Korean or Korean/Chinese heritage (which should it be?).
If/when we reveal Riptor, she would prefer you address her gender properly.

And for fun and to stir speculation, here's a few tidbits of things coming...
The shortest character this season is 5'4"!
The next character to be revealed is one new to KI

.la1n

Next character reveal is a newcomer. And the shortest character in season 2 is 5"4. Also a balance update!

Sounds like the next time we see TJ Combo it will be his final design, like it or not. Maya being 6'4" is...interesting. Next character reveal being a newcomer I am okay with, look forward to seeing how he/she turns out. Kim Wu should be of Korean descent, not sure where they even got an idea for doing Korean/Chinese but it really doesn't matter to me as long as she actually looks Asian this time. It was nice of Adam to do a small post like that on the forums since there aren't going to be any streams for a while it seems.

DrDogg

Really sucks not having Mick back for S2.

I'm hoping for a Maya trailer and a possible Cinder reveal. I'll take any news at this point since they didn't really give us much at Evo :(

We got a lot at Evo though...

http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/feature/killer-instinct-season-two-outlook
  • Revamped Ranking System (similar to StarCraft)
  • 8 Characters for Season Two.
  • Aerial Combo Breakers
  • Aerial Counter Breakers
  • Maya
  • New Single Player Modes
  • Season One Character Adjustments (confirmed for at least Fulgore)
  • Revamped UI

Some of it we knew beforehand, but we got complete confirmation on all of this. I think that's a good amount of info to reveal all at once. The only thing missing was seeing Maya in action, but given the development time, it's understandable we didn't get that.

I'm still in hope that it'll be 5 characters on launch.

I think it depends on when they launch. If we get an October release date (to avoid the big November rush), then I think it will be on the lighter side. Maybe just three characters. If it's say... December, then we could see 4-5 characters. I'd prefer an earlier release with three characters, but hopefully we'll get a proper date by Gamescom.

They'll sit on a few characters so they can release a season two bundle. This is a new business model and they want people to buy season two for $20 just like they bought season one for $20. It's a much easier sell when you're offering 3-5 characters up front with the promise of 8 total. If they were to say, "Here's Combo, please pay us $20 for 7 more characters that will be coming sometime in the next 6-8 months." it wouldn't sound as enticing.

Some tidbits on that height clue for season two. Here are the heights of every missing character so far (from the previous games):
  • Cinder - 6'2"
  • Riptor - 7'0"
  • Combo - 6'1" (to compare, Thunder was 6'4" in KI1, so I guess Combo is taller now since he's supposed to be as tall as Thunder?)
  • Tusk - 6'11"
  • Maya - 5'11" in KI2, so she got taller as well.
  • Kim Wu - 5'4"

So while a new character could be 5'4" and it's certainly possible Kim Wu's height has changed... if that's meant to be a clue for us, it could be confirmation that Kim Wu is in.

Not sure if I like the fact that the next character is going to be new, but at this point you're running out of classic characters so there's no helping it. With possibly three confirmed female characters for season two (Maya, Aria, and maybe now Kim Wu), I'm kind of hoping this first new character is male.

deviant1

We got a lot at Evo though...

I know, that did come off sounding ungrateful. I should have specified that we didn't get much new in terms of in game assets and only getting images of Maya and her stage was a bit of a letdown since I was hoping we'd get at least some a trailer or even some gameplay of her.

I'm still hyped for S2 no matter what happens.

If/when we reveal Kim Wu, she will be of Korean or Korean/Chinese heritage (which should it be?).
If/when we reveal Riptor, she would prefer you address her gender properly.

If/when = confirmation? I hope so.

bumpkin

So are we supposed to get more info or a trailer or something today from the SDCC?

And moreover, is there going to be a stream today (possibly to coincide)?

Sounds like the next time we see TJ Combo it will be his final design, like it or not. Maya being 6'4" is...interesting. Next character reveal being a newcomer I am okay with, look forward to seeing how he/she turns out. Kim Wu should be of Korean descent, not sure where they even got an idea for doing Korean/Chinese but it really doesn't matter to me as long as she actually looks Asian this time. It was nice of Adam to do a small post like that on the forums since there aren't going to be any streams for a while it seems.

I think it's because she wears a Qipao. She's a ridiculous mish mash of Asian stuff though. She's supposed to be Korean, but she wears a qipao (Chinese) and uses nunchuku (Japanese). I think they should make her Korean, but I wouldn't have a problem with them making her half Chinese if for no other reason than to explain the qipao (assuming she still has a variation of it).

DopeyFish

So are we supposed to get more info or a trailer or something today from the SDCC?

And moreover, is there going to be a stream today (possibly to coincide)?

Looks like no to both just because of that post by ishmae.

I expected nothing from SDCC. I do expect something from gamescom, though.

Coda

I knew it was coming but I may have to eventually re-buy an Xbox One for Kim-Wu. Still have my PS2 Saturn pad setup for it and bunk Xbox One controller for authentication with my CronusMax.

Incase anyone wonders, the saturn pad with KI is godlike. And I'm a stick player normally.

.la1n

Cool, still holding out hope that they are making TJ look younger and less zombiefied.

Wouldn't bank on it, I think they said the latest build was his final version and as far as I know it was just changes to his stance and height. So basically they fixed the things that were minor gripes while ignoring the majority that saw his face as the primary issue.

So how long has ranked online been fucked? It's frozen at least 5 times so I uninstall and reinstall and it freezes again. I know they said a patch is coming. But how long has it been like this?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Wouldn't bank on it, I think they said the latest build was his final version and as far as I know it was just changes to his stance and height. So basically they fixed the things that were minor gripes while ignoring the majority that saw his face as the primary issue.
Ugh, I don't know what the point of asking for community feedback is when they disregard the largest complaints. Hopefully IG will at least make TJ's classic design look younger.

You shut up. Spinal is fantastic.

but... spinal is better than he has ever been!

What is wrong with you guys...? What made him completely unique and amazing was his ability to shapeshift and now that's completely gone... like they couldn't even add a backwards srk motion to have shapeshifting finishers...

Ugh I feel like I have buyer's remorse now ever since I bought it for $29.99.

.la1n

Shape shifting characters, even on modern hardware, is too taxing for a fighting game when you have all the other elements in play and want to maintain 60fps. You didn't watch any videos or read about the character before you made the purchase?

DopeyFish

What is wrong with you guys...? What made him completely unique and amazing was his ability to shapeshift and now that's completely gone... like they couldn't even add a backwards srk motion to have shapeshifting finishers...

Ugh I feel like I have buyer's remorse now ever since I bought it for $29.99.

but what does shapeshifting finishers even bring to the game except being a splashy effect?

spinal is so crazy now... so much fun to play and so much fun to watch

Top Bottom