• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So one thing i'm still curious about. What changed at the studio that allowed them to go from a garbage tier developer to putting together a solid fighting game that is scoring mid 8s? Was it simply a matter of MS letting them do it piecemeal so that they can spend a lot of time and energy making each fighter great or was there a culture change?

Really curious what this means for Strider

The dev team itself changed a lot and has a mishmash of people with previous experience on fighters.

LTWheels

So one thing i'm still curious about. What changed at the studio that allowed them to go from a garbage tier developer to putting together a solid fighting game that is scoring mid 8s? Was it simply a matter of MS letting them do it piecemeal so that they can spend a lot of time and energy making each fighter great or was there a culture change?

DH use to make a lot of licensed games and cheap budget games. These kind of games have a really small budget and are expected to be made as quickly as possible for the movie tie in. It's not a true reflection on the skills of the people working at the studio, but rather a reflection of their ability to make a 'serviceable' game in a short amount of time.

From what I've read the studio seems to have a good amount of people who have had experience working on combat engines from action games and fighting games. May be it was just the right combination of MS letting them spend their focus on the game's mechanics over content. Also in that gametrailer dev vid, the CEO did say that they want to move away from working on budget games as the market has dried up; and that they wanted to prove themselves. I suppose it does also help mentally when your working on a game like KI or Strider instead of a movie tie in like GI Joe and Green Lantern.

VariantX

"Like the visuals, the music and sounds are largely forgettable, with the exception of "C-c-c-c-combo Breaker!" which you will hear more and more frequently as you get better at the game."
Read more at http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...iew-C-c-c-c-combo-Breaker#eZ3sIuAjPSKb8igm.99

Huh...

Wait wut? Seriously?

KI is an exception to the rule of today's ambient, background noise, snorefest soundtracks. Its catchy as hell.
If you want forgettable music, go play Injustice or MK9.

Wow @ that part of the review.

Blu10

I haven't been this excited about a game since SF4! I just wish there were pads available day one... Or even at all.

what are the button configuration options? It's going to be painful not to have a proper controller to play this, but I'll put in all the time needed to get comfortable with the standard Xbox controller...won't be happy but I'll do it, provided my Xbox pads don't work out of the box. I see many many hours spent with this game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I haven't been this excited about a game since SF4! I just wish there were pads available day one... Or even at all.

what are the button configuration options? It's going to be painful not to have a proper controller to play this, but I'll put in all the time needed to get comfortable with the standard Xbox controller...won't be happy but I'll do it, provided my Xbox pads don't work out of the box. I see many many hours spent with this game.

you can assign every action to every button. imagine the old KI button config, same thing. (works the same way, too)

LP / MP / HP / LP+MP+HP / LK / MK / HK / LK+MK+HK / taunt

up on right stick is HP+HK
left/right on right stick is MP+MK
down on right stick is LP+LK

the stick you can't configure

DrDogg

Killer Instinct probably has the best sound design of any fighting game ever. Not joking. They literally must of had the volume down.

I went into the sound options and cranked up the music so I could hear it better. Without doing that, I can understand some people not hearing the tracks very well.

I don't have an issue with this, but anyone with larger hands, or who plays with the pad of their thumb instead of the tip, is going to have big issues with this. One of my colleagues plays with the pad of his thumb and was constantly hitting the right analog stick. The game was almost unplayable for him.

Rlan

I personally see the story of Double Helix in the same vein as the company I work for - Halfbrick. Halfbrick had been developing games for 10 years down here in Australia, such as:

- Nicktoons: Battle for Volcano Island (Game Boy Advance)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (Game Boy Advance)
- Barnyard (Game Boy Advance)

And all of those were on the tiniest budget. I don't think anyone expected to make an amazing game out of the weird Barnyard film license, but they were paid to do so.

But then, attempting to get out of the rut, Halfbrick began to make their own titles - Aero Racer, Age of Zombies, Blast Off, Echoes, and then finally Fruit Ninja - which changed everything.

Since then we've made Jetpack Joyride, Monster Dash, Fish Out of Water, Fruit Ninja Kinect and the upcoming Colossatron, showing that we COULD make awesome games, but the budget & time restraints were super hard to deal with.

Blu10

you can assign every action to every button. imagine the old KI button config, same thing. (works the same way, too)

LP / MP / HP / LP+MP+HP / LK / MK / HK / LK+MK+HK / taunt

up on right stick is HP+HK
left/right on right stick is MP+MK
down on right stick is LP+LK

You put actions on the right stick, and in actual play you'd find that usable? That actually will take quite a bit of practice from me, and how after getting used to that would you transition that to a stick or a pad.

DrDogg

You put actions on the right stick, and in actual play you'd find that usable? That actually will take quite a bit of practice from me, and how after getting used to that would you transition that to a stick or a pad.

The actions on the right thumb stick are mainly for breaking combos easier. It's just that they're programmed as the actual inputs instead of hard-coded combo breaker inputs.

DopeyFish

well they are shortcuts for combo breakers, really.

I never used them across 20 hours of play... kinda forgot it was even there until i started typing it out

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
OK

So today I went to the Microsoft Store that just opened in Buffalo to play Killer Instinct. I have been following the game closely since it was announced at E3, but I never played KI growing up so I only had a general understanding of the game's combo system.

Some background on me: I play fighting games competitively. This year I traveled to California for the SEGA Cup and NYC for NYG8. I have competed in Street Fighter 4, Marvel 3, and have dabbled in Persona 4 Arena, but my main game since June of last year has been VF5FS, which I have played practically exclusively since launch.

I play on stick, but it is not hard to play Killer Instinct on pad. The Dojo explains the combo system very well, and after tearing through it (not even reading the text), I was pulling off 50%+ damage combos against the MS store employees after getting used to everything.

I played the demo version of the game. Sadira, Thunder, Glacius, Sabrewolf and Orchid were in the build, but they were locked. I asked why I couldn't select Thunder and one of the employees said the consoles were currently unable to sign into their profiles as they were running maintenance. So, just like 360, if you can't sign into a profile you're only able to access the demo version of the game. I was able to select the locked characters as my CPU opponent in training mode. All modes were available to me, although I didn't try online versus.

The game was not displayed on a regular TV, rather they were using some funky wall monitor display. I did not like this.

31Ff9PK.jpg

A regular TV would've been fine.

One of the MS store employees was knowledgeable about the game. We talked about Max's videos and he gave some ideas as to how brady was able to land a 240+ hit combo. He kicked my ass, but after a few matches I got the pace of the game down well enough and was breaking combos and converting off of normals and teching throws. The combos are really, really fun. They feel great and they look cool, it's satisfying to capitalize on a lockout and get LOTS of damage.

The other MS store employee I talked to was kind of a dope. He didn't really know anything about the Xbox One - I even overheard him say to someone that neither the PS4 nor the XBO could output 1080p. Both can. What the fuck? He was a nice guy, but he should not be paid to inform the public. At one point someone told him you could feed a PS4's HDMI input into the XBO's HDMI in, and afterwards I overheard him excitedly repeating this to customers on two separate occasions.

Oh, on the XBO controller, it's fine. It was invisible to me after only like a minute, there's virtually no adaptation period of you are comfortable on a 360 pad. D-pad seemed alright but I still used the analog sticks which worked fine. Shoryuken motions, fireball motions, it's all good. I did not experience any difficulty with the shoulder buttons.

DrDogg

Oh, on the XBO controller, it's fine. It was invisible to me after only like a minute, there's virtually no adaptation period of you are comfortable on a 360 pad. D-pad seemed alright but I still used the analog sticks which worked fine. Shoryuken motions, fireball motions, it's all good. I did not experience any difficulty with the shoulder buttons.

You didn't get any accidental shadow moves or heavy linkers instead of light/medium? If so, you're the first person I've talked to who didn't have this issue.

oneida

You didn't get any accidental shadow moves or heavy linkers instead of light/medium? If so, you're the first person I've talked to who didn't have this issue.
Nope
Heavy punch/kick were mapped to RT and RB so I'm not sure how I would've gotten heavy linkers from L/M.

DopeyFish

honestly i think they should just take the hold , make it a longer window and then make the hold across all buttons to be the ender

so you'd have low/med/high enders with different animation sets

also wish the shadow moves were based on double stick action instead of 2P/2K... very annoying to me on the pad so i end up reverting to 3P/3K... which always seems to do the slower/heavier version first then the quicker/weaker one if you exhaust a second bar right after

i use SF2 SNES layout on pad (punches: X/Y/LB kicks: A/B/RB) and shadow linkers induce rage in me when trying to do it the right way

oneida

honestly i think they should just take the hold , make it a longer window and then make the hold across all buttons to be the ender

so you'd have low/med/high enders with different animation sets

also wish the shadow moves were based on double stick action instead of 2P/2K... very annoying to me on the pad so i end up reverting to 3P/3K... which always seems to do the slower/heavier version first then the quicker/weaker one if you exhaust a second bar right after

i use SF2 SNES layout on pad (punches: X/Y/LB kicks: A/B/RB) and shadow linkers induce rage in me when trying to do it the right way

i was alternating between using LB/LT and using my thumb to press LP+MP or LK+MK. I don't find either uncomfortable but LB/LT worked most consistently

DopeyFish

What do you mean pay?

"purchase a skin for (insert character)"

Besides classic costumes, not sure if there is going to be more than one skin at launch... but I am fairly sure they will be selling them individually or in packs... these are the completely different models, not accessory packs where they say they go "above and beyond what's expected for alternate costumes"

I will probably buy all skins if they are as crazy awesome as DH keeps teasing them to be

Anyone saw the achievement list?? .... Only way to get 1000/1000 is if I pay for skins. what kind of fuckery is that... really... is double helix retarded...

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/killer-instinct/achievements/

its not really an issue for me but sucks for achievement whores lol...

I'm pretty sure everything skins, accessories, etc are only purchaseable via KP and obviously come with the Ultra Edition. The only thing you can purchase with real money is the game itself and individual characters (if you choose to only get the free version). Even if you purchase a character with money, you'll still need to buy a skin to get the achievement, and the only way to do that is with KP.

You can't purchase KP with money, which is why it's not actually a F2P game. If you want enough KP to buy a skin, the only way to do that is to play the game and earn it. You earn KP for doing trials (they show the active trials on the main menu) and by playing matches.

ki.jpg

Paying sounds more like spending the Killer Points or whatever for skins, not necessarily the actual money for them.

Beat me to it...

Yup, only way to get skins is to earn KP. You don't have to buy anything outside of the game itself to get all of the achievements.

TehWhite

Neo Member
Wait... you really think paying is a problem vs 2000 matches per character? Lol

lmao i dont like grinding either but i deff don't like "micro transactions" determining whether I get 1000/1000. but that was before I knew you could purchase it with in game currency (KP).

Edit: The only skins I care about right now are glacius and sabrewulf.

lmao i dont liek grinding either but i deff don't like "micro transactions determining whether I get 1000/1000. but that was before I knew it you could purchase it with in game currency.

The way you phrase it makes it seem like you have the option to purchase them with real money, which is not the case. You cannot spend money to get KP to buy things. Only the characters/game itself can be bought. The only way to earn KP is by simply playing the game.

For regular pads I button config like this: weak and heavy on the face, and mediums on the bumpers (both pointer fingers rest on the bumpers). I hope I have no difficulty with anything. My other main concern is the controller. Read nothing but good things it's just I have mine and the dpad is nice and clicky but smaller. Same for this sticks, they feel tiny and flimsy. I didn't think the PS4 controller felt great until I played something on it, though so here's hoping KI is playable for me.

In any case, I hope Markman makes with the fight pads! I bought so many this gen!

TehWhite

Neo Member
The way you phrase it makes it seem like you have the option to purchase them with real money, which is not the case. You cannot spend money to get KP to buy things. Only the characters/game itself can be bought. The only way to earn KP is by simply playing the game.

You read it wrong.... scroll up.. I thought the only way to get it was with "real money" until another poster showed it was through KP.

Blu10

In any case, I hope Markman makes with the fight pads! I bought so many this gen!

Agreed! Got 4 last Gen (or current Gen, depending on how you look at it), 2 SF ones, and 2 SFvsT. Preferred the smaller of the two, but I'd take anything over the controller for fighting games.

I lost my shit at Mick's music suite. LOST MY SHIT! I can't get over how amazing it is. I almost feel like he wrote it just for me. It hits all the right notes for me. It's just so fucking dirty and dark and yet, at the same time, so crisp and defined. Fuck. No longer do I want this soundtrack. I need it.

DrDogg

I'm good enough on a pad to beat pretty much everyone I've come across online, but I really, really do not like playing this game on pad. I get incorrect inputs left and right and I have trouble doing 2-in-1s. I'm not even going to attempt frame traps and anything more technical. Just hoping my stick comes in sooner rather than later. :(

That said, if you're accustomed to playing on pad, you won't have much of an issue once you get used to how sensitive the buttons are.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm good enough on a pad to beat pretty much everyone I've come across online, but I really, really do not like playing this game on pad. I get incorrect inputs left and right and I have trouble doing 2-in-1s. I'm not even going to attempt frame traps and anything more technical. Just hoping my stick comes in sooner rather than later. :(

That said, if you're accustomed to playing on pad, you won't have much of an issue once you get used to how sensitive the buttons are.

How often do you play fighting games on pad, and what pad are you using?

Have they explained how these pins are distributed?

ShinAmano

Have they explained how these pins are distributed?

So...I think that information on basically everything regarding this game has been a clusterfuck. It would be nice if there were details about everything laid out so anyone could understand. Also one of the worst set of achievements I have ever seen.

All that said I am dying to get my hands on it.

Justin

I think the best thing that Jeff tweeted was that he was impressed with the training mode. If you have ever heard Jeff talk about fighting games, he always mentions how terrible their training modes are.

DH use to make a lot of licensed games and cheap budget games. These kind of games have a really small budget and are expected to be made as quickly as possible for the movie tie in. It's not a true reflection on the skills of the people working at the studio, but rather a reflection of their ability to make a 'serviceable' game in a short amount of time.

From what I've read the studio seems to have a good amount of people who have had experience working on combat engines from action games and fighting games. May be it was just the right combination of MS letting them spend their focus on the game's mechanics over content. Also in that gametrailer dev vid, the CEO did say that they want to move away from working on budget games as the market has dried up; and that they wanted to prove themselves. I suppose it does also help mentally when your working on a game like KI or Strider instead of a movie tie in like GI Joe and Green Lantern.

True but that doesn't explain Silent Hill Homecoming. I think that game was in development for at least two years and wasn't a cheap movie tie-in

Sydle

True but that doesn't explain Silent Hill Homecoming. I think that game was in development for at least two years and wasn't a cheap movie tie-in

I provided you with a link that explains everything. : (

Here are some quotes from it:

Microsoft veteran Ken Lobb, for instance, who helped design the original Killer Instinct arcade game, is watching over the new title. Rettig calls him "the standard bearer for what the game really is" and says he regularly gives notes and guidance to the team at Double Helix.

Additionally, James Goddard and Dave Winstead, who both worked on the Street Fighter series and went on to make games like Weaponlord, found their way back together on the new Killer Instinct. These days Goddard works as a designer at Microsoft and Winstead is a senior character designer at Double Helix.

On top of those, Microsoft and Double Helix have competitive fighting game players on staff, such as former Street Fighter tournament player Campbell Tran at Microsoft, and Willette says Double Helix has hired a lot of "new blood" in recent years. The developers also regularly send builds to original developer Rare for feedback, though most of the original Killer Instinct team members have since left the company.

For Double Helix, all the team members can do is explain how things came about and try to make a game that will convince players it's worth checking out. And they have a series of rules to get there — the game has to run at 60 frames per second, they have to listen to community and playtest feedback and they have to not veer too far from what made the game memorable in the first place (with elaborate combos and crazy special effects).

It seems to come down to be a passion project and bringing together the right people to see it come into form.

Top Bottom