• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

.la1n

Game must be doing pretty well. I do find it pretty funny that Adam and other guys at Microsoft kept saying they didn't feel comfortable packaging the game until at least Season 3 so that there was more content yet here we are.

Hopefully TJ Combo will be available as an individual purchase around the same time, otherwise that's a little shitty to expect people who already bought Season passes previously to purchase the retail release just so they can get a TJ Combo download code. Also confirms we are stuck with that TJ Combo design.

Game must be doing pretty well. I do find it pretty funny that Adam and other guys at Microsoft kept saying they didn't feel comfortable packaging the game until at least Season 3 so that there was more content yet here we are.

I wish they would have waited lol. I'm probably going to buy the physical version just to have it, but I really don't want to do that every time we get a new season.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
omg WHAT

It's Kill or Be Killed This Fall with Killer Instinct: Combo Breaker Pack
Just saw this on the gaming side, I'm assuming TJ isn't actually out on the 23rd and it's just a voucher for whenever he is realeased with Season 2. I'd love to get S2 by late September but that's probably wishful thinking.

Also I guess we can give up on hoping TJ's look is still being updated lol.

.la1n

Just saw this on the gaming side, I'm assuming TJ isn't actually out on the 23rd and it's just a voucher for whenever he is realeased with Season 2. I'd love to get S2 by late September but that's probably wishful thinking.

Also I guess we can give up on hoping TJ's look is still being updated lol.

It isn't clear but I interpreted it as you would get to play as TJ Combo on September 23rd, having a code for a character not getting released until later seems a little odd to me but then again it's not like game publisher's decisions ever make much sense to me.

Season 2 I wouldn't expect to get it's official release until November to ensure they have at least a reasonable amount of new content and 3-4 characters available.

tapedeck

It isn't clear but I interpreted it as you would get to play as TJ Combo on September 23rd, having a code for a character not getting released until later seems a little odd to me but then again it's not like game publisher's decisions ever make much sense to me.

Season 2 I wouldn't expect to get it's official release until November to ensure they have at least a reasonable amount of new content and 3-4 characters available.
Hmm, getting TJ that much earlier than people waiting for S2's launch would be pretty significant, might even convince some to double dip.

.la1n

Hmm, getting TJ that much earlier than people waiting for S2's launch would be pretty significant, might even convince some to double dip.

It would be pretty fun to be able to play at least one of the Season 2 cast early, in a way it's similar to the early access idea that Double Helix had kicked around a little bit before Season 1 launched.

derFeef

SDA2xB2.png

Ugh, so you do get Combo early.

I wonder if this will end up being an exclusive thing for the physical edition or if they'll have something in store for digital buyers too.

I've really been itching to play Combo and that makes it too damn tempting to double dip. Although considering Middle-Earth releases a week later I'll try to convince myself to hold off.

DrDogg

I'll be pretty pleased if we get Combo in September. I will not be pleased if the only way to do so is to buy that Combo Breaker retail version.

I imagine it'll be what others have said... offer a pre-order for season two that gives you Combo. If that's the case, I'm completely on board.

Looks like IG is giving Spinal the buffs he deserves

Details?

Silky

Banned
I'll be pretty pleased if we get Combo in September. I will not be pleased if the only way to do so is to buy that Combo Breaker retail version.

I imagine it'll be what others have said... offer a pre-order for season two that gives you Combo. If that's the case, I'm completely on board.

Details?

Nothing specific but they mentioned in the stream that 'Spinal's so much better currently.'

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
There's another textual stream on ultracombo.

They essentially confirm season 3 will happen and all old characters will be in game by end of S3

Oh and dojo for all characters in S2 is planned... Yusssss

here's the full post Adam made:

Hello everyone,

Seems like this went over pretty well last week, so while we had an IG stream today that showed the EVO build of KI, I thought it was time for the next textual stream so we can talk about what's up with KI S2 progress!

• We have a stage ultra in and working and it’s just... great. It’s very much KI in feel and everyone that has seen it gets a big grin on their face. Not every stage lends itself to having one, but those that have them will likely be very popular choices for matches. Each one is very unique.
  • Maya’s powered up weapon effects are going to add a very distinct visual look to her combat. You could say that they make the attacks “come alive"....
  • We are down to only a few issues remaining on the next update before it goes into certification. We’re intentionally taking more time on testing this update so that it can fly through cert and get out to all of you as quickly as possible. Lobby and gameplay stability are the core emphasis of the update.

A smattering of forum stuff:
  • The focus test at IG this Friday is around balance changes for the S1 cast and potential new tools for each. Once we’re firmer on changes we’ll certainly share with the community.
  • We have always planned KI as (at least) 3 seasons. While we understand that everyone is excited / worried on who could or could not be in S2, know that by S3 at the latest, all 13 fighters will return.
  • Season 2 will be adding another 1000+ gamerscore to the title. You can expect a similar achievement set for all the new characters (150GS each), plus some new ones for the season overall.
  • Character-specific dojo lessons is part of our S2 plan.

And finally, some teases:
  • One of the oldest characters in S2 is just shy of 3,500 years old!
  • All characters in S2 are either returning ones or new characters created specifically for the KI universe. No guests.
  • We (Microsoft) announced some new games this year at E3. It’s possible a KI character this season will have an alt costume inspired by one of them. What could it be and from which game?
NOTE (again) that nothing I say in this or in any other textual stream update regarding any specific original characters should be taken as “confirmation” or even “soft confirmation” that they are in or out of Season 2. Only official announcements are confirmation of anything that will absolutely be in S2.

On a side note, I'm really glad adam is doing these. I had mentioned way back when the season one streams were happening they should do weekly (or monthly) updates talking about things going on in development, and other tidbits. Really happy to see something like that actually happening.

Timu

So that pretty much confirms that Cinder,(obviously), Riptor, Kim Wu and Tusk will return...yes, loved using them in the previous games!!!

Silky

Banned
We (Microsoft) announced some new games this year at E3. It’s possible a KI character this season will have an alt costume inspired by one of them. What could it be and from which game?

Jago with a Scalebound-themed costume???

.la1n

The plan was always to do three seasons? Funny, I seem to remember being told they couldn't even confirm a season two and that we needed to show our support for season one.

Durock

The plan was always to do three seasons? Funny, I seem to remember being told they couldn't even confirm a season two and that we needed to show our support for season one.

That doesn't change anything. Anyone can make plans, but certain circumstances have to happen in order for those plans to come to fruition. In this case, the first season had to be a success for season two to be viable.

.la1n

That doesn't change anything. Anyone can make plans, but certain circumstances have to happen in order for those plans to come to fruition. In this case, the first season had to be a success for season two to be viable.

So by extension we can assume that if Season 2 did not do well there would be no Season 3? Yet we have Adam saying do not worry because all the orignal KI 1/2 roster will be in the game. I am just saying his messaging is a little confusing as it makes it sound like three seasons are guaranteed so people concerned about their favorite original KI character shouldn't worry.

Synth

So by extension we can assume that if Season 2 did not do well there would be no Season 3? Yet we have Adam saying do not worry because all the orignal KI 1/2 roster will be in the game. I am just saying his messaging is a little confusing as it makes it sound like three seasons are guaranteed so people concerned about their favorite original KI character shouldn't worry.

They could have given a hard confirmation of Season 3, and Season 2 selling 5 copies would still almost certainly make it cease to exist. It's a lot easier for them to tell people not to worry now as they have data on Season 1's performance, to make some predictions on how Season 2 will be received. Prior to Season 1's release and good performance Killer Instinct was a franchise that had been sitting in limbo for 17 years, and unlike something like Street Fighter, the earlier games simply didn't have a solid enough base system for faith to automatically be placed on the reception of a new entry, that's divorced from the original publisher (and potentially fanbase).

I don't think there's really anything strange or misleading at how they've handled the information about the seasons tbh.

.la1n

Probably just confusion on my part then, I am sure season two will do well with the following the game has now. EVO next year should be really fun to watch. I think even more than the new content I am interested in seeing how the season one cast turns out after they tweak balancing.

Silky

Banned
Killer Instinct was always more comical than Mortal Kombat, so their Ultimate Combos can/should be a lot more cartoonish than usual.

DrDogg

Couple of fun facts in reference to the 3,500 year old character:

- KI2 takes place 2,000 years in the past.
- Tusk was 31 in KI2
- Riptor was 4 in KI1.
- 3,500 years ago would be 1,500 B.C. (presumably), which would indicate an Egyptian or Greek character based on what was going on in the world around that time.

So basically, unless they're messing with some original dates/ages, it's a new character. My guess would be on some sort of Pharaoh character or perhaps a Mummy-like character.

tapedeck

Filled out the survey, I love when we get an opportunity to give direct detailed feedback.

Top Bottom