• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

T.O.P

Banned
isOCwBCtu253D.jpg

:lol

great job !

Silky

Banned
Textual steams up. All of the balance hanged, and PAX build will be the final S2 Sneak Peek build

Killer Instinct Season 2 pre-season system & character updates

Great news! At PAX we're giving everyone a sneak-peek at the S2 early access build!

As part of the pre-season access for season 2 coming next month, we have a bunch of overall system and individual character updates for the season 1 cast. The changes below are derived from features we didn’t get to add in S1, ones motivated by data analysis, community feedback, and focus testing throughout the year, and finally aspects where we see opportunity to improve KI’s fundamental gameplay and keep it uniquely about two-way interaction at all times.

NOTE: Any or all of these changes are subject to change between now and when the update goes live on September 23rd. Even after release, we will continue to evaluate the changes as we add more content and characters to ensure everyone stays competitive, unique, and fun to play.

System:
Non-combo hits (pokes) and the 1st hit of combos now deal additional damage.
Shadow Meter gain rates have decreased 20% overall.
Shadow Enders now scale damage based on current Ender Level.
Potential (white) damage decays slower than before.
New system extension: Air breakers & Air counter breakers
The breaker system has been expanded to cover Air to Air and Air to Ground interactions.
Additionally, all Counter Breaker attempts now will leave you vulnerable to punishment if you fail no matter what the situation or character.
After the 3rd non-chained move, combos that are not part of the Linker/Double ruleset are now breakable via Manual rules.
This includes juggled manuals and non-projectile special moves.
Combo Breakers no longer cause a Hard Knockdown.
Juggled Shadow Enders are now subject to Opener-Ender breaker rules, but can cash out a juggled opponent.
Projectiles no longer darken the screen.
Removed the ability to Instinct Cancel during an Ender.
Removed the ability to perform Ultra Enders from the air.
Fixed a bug preventing the 4 frame Manual Breaker window from actually working. As a result, you now have 4 additional frames to break Manuals.
New linker rules:
The rules for performing Manuals after Linkers are now consistent across the cast.
Doing a Light Linker gives you access to a difficult Light Manual.
Doing a Medium Linker gives you access to a difficult Medium Manual or slightly less difficult Light Manual.
Doing a Heavy Linker gives you access to a difficult Heavy Manual, less difficult Medium Manual, and even less difficult Light Manual.
Exceptions still exist but for the most part you can count on these rules for all characters.
Jago:
Shadow Wind Kick travels 60% as far as before.
Heavy Wind Kick does not push back as far and is more negative on block.
Can no longer Counter Break from Opener - > Ender situations.
Updated Instinct:
Jago no longer heals automatically during instinct.
Jago now throws Double Endokukens during instinct.
During instinct, all Endokukens (Double, Enders, and Shadow) that hit the opponent heal Jago.
Jago maintains his frame advantages during instinct.
Sabrewulf:
The final hit of Shadow Leaping Slash now recaptures an airborne opponent into a ground combo.
While the forward Dash is the same duration as before, Sabrewulf gets behind his opponent quicker now so that properly timed punish attempts are less likely to come out facing the wrong way.
One additional frame has been added after the Super Flash before Shadow Eclipse hits.
Backdash distance reduced.
Crouching Light Punch pushes the opponent back further.
Fixed a bug that let Sabrewulf cancel Crouching Medium Punch into his Heavy Chain during Hitstop, which also prevented Manual Breakers from firing correctly.
Updated Instinct:
In addition to its previous properties, while in Instinct Sabre now gains the ability to perform a Feral Cancel (HP+HK) which can cancel any grounded move back to neutral. This has a short cooldown on it but can be performed as much as you want during Instinct.
Glacius:
Medium and Light Hail now bounce along the ground instead of breaking when hitting the floor.
Shadow Cold Shoulder is slightly less negative on block.
Shadow Cold Shoulder will now combo from Ice Lance at maximum distance.
Shadow Puddle Punch is no longer throwable until after the first active frame.
Startup time on all jumping Kick attacks has increased slightly.
Shatter has a few additional frames of recovery.
Fixed a bug that let you cancel out of a Shadow Cold Shoulder early.
Fixed a bug that let Glacius perform an attack facing the wrong way after going under his opponent with a Cold Shoulder.
New Command Move: Liquidize
Press all three kicks (hold). Glacius melts into a puddle.
Can move left or right a bit while in liquid state.
This is a dodge move. It is immune to projectiles on the way down, but vulnerable to everything else.
Thunder:
Light Sammamish has bit more vertical travel.
Skyfall is now considered a special move instead of a command normal.
Every character’s reaction to Back Throw is now identical in duration so that Thunder can manual properly.
The low crush effect of Ankle Slicer is more reliable now, and it is less negative on block.
Medium Sammamish now hits 2 frames earlier, in the same number of frames as Light Sammamish.
When performing a manual after back throw, Thunder automatically moves in a bit to ensure that the intended combo works against all characters.
Fixed all instances that caused Thunder to miss with Shadow Call of Earth following a Back Throw.
Opponents who are locked out can no longer tech out of Thunder’s Back Throw.
New command move: Call of Sky
Press all three punch buttons
Thunder calls a bolt of lightning from the sky that strikes at his opponent’s current location.
This move has very long startup and recovery, but hits quickly.
Sadira:
During instinct, using a jump cancel and then canceling into a normal or special during pre-jump frames used to ignore the combo system and skip doubles and linkers in favor of manuals or openers. It now obeys the normal ground combo rules.
It is no longer possible to avoid the special landing recovery from Web Cling by throwing a Widow’s Bite.
Removed the ability to place a Web Trap from Counter Breaker stance.
Web Trap’s hold is slightly shorter.
The cross-up hitbox on Jumping Heavy Kick has been reduced slightly.
New target combo:
Ground MP->HK or Close MP->HK, chains into launcher.
New Reversal: Shadow Web Cling
QCB+2P
This is useable only on the ground, but when used, Sadira is invulnerable until she hits the wall.
Orchid:
Shadow Ich Ni San now sends out a shockwave of energy columns. Charge the move up by holding the buttons to fire additional towers of energy that travel further. The final charge level is not unblockable.
Danger Zone (Air Throw) causes a recapture when used outside of a combo.
Flick Flack’s low crush effect now lasts until the first active frame.
Standing Medium Punch and Standing Heavy Punch become active slightly faster and their hitboxes are a bit larger.
Shadow Cat (Knee Slide) has a larger hit area and slightly smaller vulnerable area.
Crouching Medium Punch animation has changed slightly and now hits low.
New Command Move: Grenade Toss
Back+HP throws the grenade. Hold HP longer to set a longer timer and throw it further.
The grenade does not explode on contact with the opponent, and is governed only by its timer.
Colliding with an opponent’s projectile will detonate it immediately.
Spinal:

Color and skull logic:
Spinal’s attacks have been color-coded to more clearly show what does what: Green attacks give you skulls, Blue attacks curse the opponent’s Shadow Meter, and Yellow attacks curse the opponent’s Instinct Meter.
Any time Spinal hits with a ghostly attack (green) he gains one skull.
Searing Skull (with skull stock) projectiles are now colored Blue.
Shadow Searing Skull’s projectile is now colored Yellow.
All of spinal's green attacks now reward one skull. That includes:
Hitting with Crouching HP
Hitting with any Spectral Manual
Searing Skull (no skull stock)
Spinal’s throw
Other changes:
Crouching Medium Kick no longer sweeps and is now cancelable.
Shadow Bone Shaker is now projectile immune.
Throw Range increased slightly.
Shadow Searing Skull applies its curse on the 1st hit instead of the 5th.
Divekick causes a Ground Bounce when hitting an airborne opponent.
New skull use option:
Spinal can now cancel all normal attacks (except c.HP and c.HK) into his run at the cost of 1 Skull.
Fulgore:

Fulgore’s meter mechanics have been completely reworked to reward aggressive play with faster meter gain. As a result, he can no longer manually charge his meter and the charge command has been removed.

New reactor system:
Fulgore now gains reactor pips at a pace based on how fast his reactor spinner is turning.
The reactor always spins, so Fulgore is always gaining pips at a minimum rate at least.
A new energy bar has been added above the pip display to show you exactly when your next pip will appear based on the current spin rate.
Any of Fulgore’s physical attacks that make contact (hit or blocked) increase spin speed.
Auto Triples give a huge spin speed bonus.
Using energy systems (Energy Bolt, Plasmaport, or Eye Beam) reduces spin speed.
Getting knocked down reduces spin speed.
If Fulgore does nothing, spin speed will decay over time, eventually returning to its minimum speed.
Activating Instinct Mode makes the reactor spin at maximum speed for the duration regardless of what Fulgore does or doesn’t do, or what happens to him.
Fulgore gains the walk forward speed buff after green pips are full, the walk back buff after yellow pips are full, and his dash buff at full pips.
Energy bolt:

Energy Bolt has been reworked.
Light, Medium, and Heavy inputs now all fire a single projectile, speed determined by the button used.
Tapping LP, MP, or HP while firing will spend 1 pip to fire an additional projectile at that button’s speed.
This can be done twice for a total of three projectiles traveling at various speeds on the screen.
You can still spend an additional pip during any of these to cancel into another special move.
Other changes:
Devastation (hype) Beam does considerably less damage, but is now available outside of Instinct Mode when Fulgore has full pips.
Plasmaport motion has been moved to QCB+K.
Auto Triples are now performed by pressing the button again instead of holding it down.
Medium Cyber Uppercut now hits twice, and Heavy hits three times.
All versions of Cyber Uppercut can be Shadow Cancelled into Air Shadow Eye Beam.
Air Shadow Eye Beam no longer hits low and damage has been reduced, but the hitboxes are taller and it now juggles.
Axis Smash (F+HP) is slightly less positive on hit and block.

We'll see all of you on September 23rd in early access or at PAX this weekend. Thanks for continuing with us on the journey as we evolve and grow Killer Instinct.

I missed about the first 45 min but from what I did see, Fulgore looks absolutely insane now. Spinal changes are nice too and TJ looks incredible. Can't wait until the 23rd.

Time to go check out the stuff I missed.

Timu

So Fulgore is now actually much more fun to use with these changes? Cool! Glad they reworked him as he needed it the most IMO.

dankir

So Fulgore is now actually much more fun to use with these changes? Cool! Glad they reworked him as he needed it the most IMO.

Yeah I always had so much trouble get his 3rd auto double by holding a button down and then a linker.

Almost to the point where I never did it and just charged manually. I love that teleport is a qcb + K so much easier to land.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The changes are quite interesting. I think one can easily feel that much of it seems Street Fighter IV-ish, but maybe that'll help the non-KI players adapt easier to the game.

I still wanted Thunder to get something more; All his grapple changes basically are to make things work as they should have always done (not breakable during lockout, like a linker should be, removal of wonkiness), and the Call of Sky is very nice, but I don't know if it'll make him more... fun? But it will make him a bit more solid. I do like the fact people won't just be able to lame him out all day, but will it discourage a fireball keepaway game, or just get me hit because it has too much startup?

I like the Fulgore's meter changes are still sensible within his robotic roots. He shouldn't gain "spirit", but of course he can build up energy. The stages to his meter tying into his movement options is also very cool. I actually really like the staggered fireball, adjusted uppercut hits, cancel into Shadow Lazer, and teleport change options.

Though this all still makes me think that last S1 characters are much more interesting mechanically than early S1 characters :/

Orchid getting Triple + GYZAA is... didn't expect that! That's a pretty nice idea, and I like seeing her get a new "projectile" option. Air bounce from her throw is a great idea, too. It maintains the "She has a little bit of everything" mix that she's created with well. Oh, and the BOMB! Reminds me of Cyrax in MK9. One of the few things I LIKE in that game, so hey, I can deal with that!

SPINALLLLL... the idea of getting Skulls off of Ghostly attacks makes a lot of sense. Feels like it should have always been that way. YAY for Dash Cancel Normals! I feel like I already did this anywho, so good, good. Colors also make lots of sense. He and Fulgore probably feel like the most 100% solid list of changes / improvements to me.

Combo REALLY snaps to side view in his Chara-select now. His arms are starting to look Street Fighter Bulky... I'm perfectly quite fine with this. His look screams that he's going to punch you to death, haha. His animations look faster, and they seem to be getting into the pacing and feeling of Double Helix now, which is great to see. I still wish they alternated punches during his punch fest in the Ultra, rather than just chomping in with 1 arm.

Overall, it's a lot more going in that I think most of us expected, so overall, probably the most positive I've felt about the company change yet. Will be very good to get hands on these changes, and see what they change to the feeling of the whole game.

.la1n

TJ looks better than he did before but I am still not a big fan of the way his moves flow compared to everyone else. Everybody has some interesting changes, can't wait to try everything out. Orchid looks like a lot more fun to play, can't wait for that.

Changes are nuts. At best, I expected some tweaks here and there along with some recaptures added to some characters, but I didn't expect them to go this deep. Great stuff. Also making Combo's shorts black on his default makes him a lot better looking. In general, he looks a lot better than reveal. Can't wait!

.la1n

I'm interested to see how the new meter mechanic works out for Fulgore. Spinal looks like he is finally going to be the pain in the ass that IG originally intended him to be.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, really cool changes it looks like. Really interesting how much they changed people like Fulgore and Spinal.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
fulgore is going to be nuts

i think thunders lightning thing is not going to stay in the game long, tbh

just seems stupidly OP

.la1n

While I appreciate the huge update on season 1 character balance changes I hope we are still getting information and media for Season 2. The system changes and character updates I can use now, I need more information on why I should consider buying Season 2.

btags

sooooo mick gordon is going to pax

he liedddd lol

What did he lie about? I thought it was already known that he was going to pax? Unless you are thinking he lied about working on KI S2, but it was already confirmed a couple of weeks ago that he was.

Skab

While I appreciate the huge update on season 1 character balance changes I hope we are still getting information and media for Season 2. The system changes and character updates I can use now, I need more information on why I should consider buying Season 2.

I'm curious. What else do you want to know, exactly? If you don't know why you should buy season 2 by now, then I'm not really sure what will convince you. It's just going to be character trailers/releases from here on out.

.la1n

I'm curious. What else do you want to know, exactly? If you don't know why you should buy season 2 by now, then I'm not really sure what will convince you. It's just going to be character trailers/releases from here on out.

If it's only characters and stages for season 2 then knowing more than 2 of those characters would be appreciated.

Khezu

The balance changes are pretty crazy. More then I thought they would do at first.

Since this is such a weird situation with DH and IG, I would love to know DH's opinions on how IG is changing their base game. Just out of pure curiosity.

Also pretty nitpicky, but some of the new additions to the old cast, like the new command moves, and altered animations could use a bit more polish.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If it's only characters and stages for season 2 then knowing more than 2 of those characters would be appreciated.

They said we would know at least a couple more before release

And also... We haven't seen any of the new modes or new interface yet

.la1n

They said we would know at least a couple more before release

And also... We haven't seen any of the new modes or new interface yet

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy KI and I also look forward to the new mechanics and moves for the existing cast. I just want more information on Season 2 itself, it feels like we are right around the corner from launch and I still don't really know what Season 2 is. A lot of what I assumed would be part of Season 2 is actually just Season 1 updates (which is great because it doesn't alienate players) but it leaves me feeling like I know very little about the new Season.

Skab

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy KI and I also look forward to the new mechanics and moves for the existing cast. I just want more information on Season 2 itself, it feels like we are right around the corner from launch and I still don't really know what Season 2 is. A lot of what I assumed would be part of Season 2 is actually just Season 1 updates (which is great because it doesn't alienate players) but it leaves me feeling like I know very little about the new Season.

Ehhh, changes to Season 1 systems/characters still counts as part of Season 2. It's like a Blizzard expansion where everyone gets access to the base changes. Sure it's free, but it's still part of the next version of the game.

.la1n

Ehhh, changes to Season 1 systems/characters still counts as part of Season 2. It's like a Blizzard expansion where everyone gets access to the base changes. Sure it's free, but it's still part of the next version of the game.

I like the idea for a fighting game. Usually updates like that are package into additional retail products.

also Max has part 2 of assist me season 2 up and it shows some new game play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjIiUpCZXGA&feature=youtu.be&a

These changes to KI are making my heart sing. A lot of instinct mode changes, new moves for almost every character, and big changes to the overall system of the game. I look forward to playing it again!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The current state of affairs does leave me wondering how 1 character release a month is going to feel, once it's under full swing.

Will each character get a trailer before release? After release? Trailers ever 2, or even 4 releases?

How about story content? Will it be added in per character, or maybe even wait until the end of the season?

Will we see refinements to things as characters are added, on the level of new voice samples or animations / moves (?!) for already-released characters? Or will everything stick to a frames and numbers perspective for the remainder of the season?

We also have no idea at all about TJ's accessories; if anything, his base model has been the biggest concern visually, and I'm sure pieces would need some re-designing to fit the new look.

There hasn't been much talk about the back-end of things, either. Will people be able to pay the difference with purchases for S2 out of the gate? Could one get the base S2 at one time, and then upgrade to the ultimate addition 2 months later, only paying the difference?

In all reality, as much as I want to know about characters in the game, information on the improvement of things surrounding the game itself would be just as important. We saw a solid amount of "Quality of Life" improvements on the Tender Moments stream, hope this comes to the basic delivery of the game as well.

dankir

Hope they fix glitched achievements in s2. I had to get 65 general titles to get the 60 title achievement and I'm at about probably 50 ranked wins with glacius and still no 20 wins achievement :(

I really want to 100% this.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
A friend told me the "play online to unlock accessories you paid for" requirement will be changed but I can't find it anywhere.
Your friend is probably referring to the alt character colors for S2, IG stated that all the new colors will be unlockable by playing offline, no more grinding in ranked just to get all the colors. I'm sure the same goes for the new accessories.

dankir

I tweeted Mick to ask him what he's doing at PAX and when we're getting the next KI trailer. He said 3rd character is being teased first :)

Not sure when but that's coming :)

.la1n

KI finals at Summer Jam going on now.

http://www.twitch.tv/bifuteki

I tweeted Mick to ask him what he's doing at PAX and when we're getting the next KI trailer. He said 3rd character is being teased first :)

Not sure when but that's coming :)

Pretty excited about the third character since we know it's an original creation. Could be human, alien, monster, anything. I do hope they are going with something more fantastical.

Top Bottom