• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Can't you buy the Ultra Edition from the Xbox Store online? Is it only via the free game/console that you can upgrade to the Ultra Edition?

I thought I would be able to just buy it right now so it's in my download list for when I actually get an Xbox One...guess I'm out of luck?

Will the Ultra Edition stay available for purchase for ever? For example, can a US X1 owner still buy it right now on his own store even though it's been a real while since the launch?

Can't you buy the Ultra Edition from the Xbox Store online? Is it only via the free game/console that you can upgrade to the Ultra Edition?

I thought I would be able to just buy it right now so it's in my download list for when I actually get an Xbox One...guess I'm out of luck?

Will the Ultra Edition stay available for purchase for ever? For example, can a US X1 owner still buy it right now on his own store even though it's been a real while since the launch?

Use smartglass if you can.

The free version is all of the content, the Ultra Pack just flags a setting saying you can use the Ultra Edition stuff. So purchase the free version, then purchase the ultra edition and you'll be all set to go.

Use smartglass if you can.

The free version is all of the content, the Ultra Pack just flags a setting saying you can use the Ultra Edition stuff. So purchase the free version, then purchase the ultra edition and you'll be all set to go.

I don't have anything that can run Smartglass unfortunately.
I want the Ultra Edition for KI1 arcade ^^

I didn't follow the game for a long time and especially for the Tier 2 release. How can someone in Tier 2 get Shadow Jago as a playable character, 'cause I don't think we get a "Day One 12-month Xbox Live membership" to unlock him...

Omni

Oh man. I downloaded this game the other day

It's hard as fuck. For some reason I just can't play it... uhhh smoothly. Like I can do the basic things but no combos. Controls just feel odd

derFeef

It's hard as fuck. For some reason I just can't play it... uhhh smoothly. Like I can do the basic things but no combos. Controls just feel odd

Did you do the Dojo? KI is pretty simple at it's core, the combos are easy to do and you can be flashy from the get go.

Omni

Did you do the Dojo? KI is pretty simple at it's core, the combos are easy to do and you can be flashy from the get go.

I got through 7 of them. Number 8 is giving me trouble... I can't do the Tiger Fury moves for some reason.

And when I'm actually fighting it seems disjointed. It seems like no matter what I press I can't do more than one or two attacks at a time.

derFeef

I got through 7 of them. Number 8 is giving me trouble... I can't do the Tiger Fury moves for some reason.

And when I'm actually fighting it seems disjointed. It seems like no matter what I press I can't do more than one or two attacks at a time.

Not sure what you mean, maybe you do not cash out the combo before it drops, watch your combo meter.

I know some people have issues with diagonals on the Xbox One pad, turn on input display and see if that helps you pinpoint what you're entering incorrectly.

hwalker84

I don't even think you've got to the combo system by lesson 8. Why do you think if you can't get through lesson 8 the game would just make sense if you stopped and started playing for real?

At a very basic level the combo system works as:

special move > any attack > special move > any attack > heavy special move.

Tiger Fury is kind of hard to execute, especially if you're just starting out. If it's giving you trouble, just skip the lesson for now. I use the joystick, not the d-pad and find it much easier personally.

Another option is to just learn Sabrewulf since he's the easiest to use imo.

Omni

^^Thanks for the tips. :)
I don't even think you've got to the combo system by lesson 8. Why do you think if you can't get through lesson 8 the game would just make sense if you stopped and started playing for real?
I'm sorry, can you point out where I said that I expected the game would just make sense? I was simply posting my thoughts after playing the game for the first time.

I don't appreciate the attitude.

btags

I was never really big on fighting games before KI so I can empathize. At first you feel like you can do just as well by mashing random inputs. Even when you can pull off special moves half of the time you drop your combo or randomly do counterbreakers when you first start. It takes a bit of time to develop muscle memory for all of the motions, but even once you are able to pull off combos you still have to learn about all of the mind games involved in KI. Good luck. I can definitely say that I think it is worth putting in the time to get good at the game.

As someone who sucks at fighting games but managed to learn enough about KI to be decent, screw the Dojo.. The way I improved and found success was by picking a character or two and learning their specials and stuff in practice mode. Then when I felt like I could do a basic combo I just played versus matches against "Noob" level CPUs. I learned way more about the game that way than I did by playing the Dojo. Once you get a handle on how to do the specials and how combo structure works it takes off quickly from there.

Also as far as Tiger Fury, the easiest method that worked for me was to move the stick to the right (or left) and then slide the stick along the edge downward and then back up (kind of like the fireball motion). It's kind of hard to explain but it's the most reliable way for me to do it. Once you get the motion and the timing they're pretty easy to do.

^^Thanks for the tips. :)

I'm sorry, can you point out where I said that I expected the game would just make sense? I was simply posting my thoughts after playing the game for the first time.

I don't appreciate the attitude.

Off topic but is that you in your pic? You look kinda like Donte.

tumblr_md9lffQV8K1ryfipvo2_400.jpg

Silky

Banned
Well, in light of my rage for Spinal's lack of morphing, I messaged "The Kiets" who's apparently the combat designer. I've tweeted him daily, which is about 14 times asking the same question but he still hasn't responded. I don't understand how a fucking professional company can't even answer a simple question? How many more times do I have to ask this guy about it until he answers?

Thats incredibly obsessive to twet someone 14 times in a day lol. Chill.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So we get confirmation... TJ combo won't have his stage, be available for ranked play or whatever until season 2 launch

We aren't getting story mode for S2 at launch much like S1, dojo for everyone will also be later in the season. The story at least makes sense especially if they intend on having greater character dialog...

Hopefully they expand the S1 story afterwards just so those 8 chars don't feel lesser

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=1783.0

No ranked play or fight title progress is a bit rough. I suppose it's only 3 weeks but still not sure how I feel about that. I'm sure my impatience will get the best of me anyway and I'll end up prepurchasing.

DopeyFish

No ranked play or fight title progress is a bit rough. I suppose it's only 3 weeks but still not sure how I feel about that. I'm sure my impatience will get the best of me anyway and I'll end up prepurchasing.

They always did suggest it was early access...

The wait for this second season is rough but soon there should be a fairly constant flow of info and content

Hopefully things go like this: (from October to April)

Week 1: content release
Week 2: community stream with teases/Q&A
Week 3: content announcement
Week 4: demo stream

If they can pull it off, we will always have something to look forward to...

.la1n

Kev Bayliss’ TJ alternate costume is both retro and new at the same time. It’s KI2 TJ with some new flair.

I like it.

Microsoft KI streams will be coming back. We want to make sure we have stuff to show and talk to, so S2 launch and onwards expect us to start bringing streams in to the mix of community activities we do.

Great news as well. I miss hearing Adam attempt to leak stuff.

Maya is the biggest and tallest female character in all of KI’s roster across the entirety of seasons 1 and 2.

Taller than Glacius and bigger than Thunder? That's insane if I am interpreting the wording correctly.

Skab

Taller than Glacius and bigger than Thunder? That's insane if I am interpreting the wording correctly.

It says female character. Basically saying shes taller than Sadira and Orchid, and whoever else may or may not be coming in S2.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to learn Orchid, but i'm having a hard time listing her manuals and the general strategy. Maybe there's a great guide somewhere covering that ? I tried the official forum, but no luck so far

SimonM7

I searched the thread but came up with nothing, so I apologize if this has been covered, but:

Where is the Ultra Edition for tier 2 countries? I bought the most "expensive" edition on the Swedish marketplace, expecting it to have everything, but through the in game store I can select an "Ultra Edition", taking me to a product page that lists a bunch of extra stuff. However, there's no buy button there.

I can't list that content separately, either. All that's on the Swedish marketplace is piecemeal characters and the Combo Breaker pack.

I went to the Xbox forum, and a guy from the Netherlands and one from Finland reports the same thing. And another guy - dunno where he's from.

Xbox Support via twitter seem oblivious and suggested an exchange with a retailer. Which I translated to AAH FFFFFUCK WE'RE BUSY AND BARELY LISTENING.

So um. Anyone experienced this, or - as usual - have more insight than the people you'd think are paid to be on top of these things?

m23

The soundtrack needs to be out ASAP. I guess I should be happy it's at least coming out in the first place.

.la1n

We should know all the characters before the Season starts right?

I do not think so. I can't find the quote but I seem to recall hearing they wanted us to know at least half the roster before the season launched. Worst case scenario we will probably know the first three and have a tease on the fourth.

I just want to see Cinder or Kim Wu, IG pls.

It's going to be interesting post launch. I really don't see them pumping out characters every month, but I'll gladly eat crow if they manage to do so.

derFeef

It's going to be interesting post launch. I really don't see them pumping out characters every month, but I'll gladly eat crow if they manage to do so.

They know the KI fanbase, we are used to "soon" and "we never said it will make it" and stuff like that.

.la1n

In this case they've said a character a month so I wish them the best of luck because if any of those slip, even by a week, forums are going to explode lol.

Communication, as always, will be key. Reasonable people who aren't trolls will understand any development delays but it goes a long way towards good will when you communicate with us.

Delays last season were handled pretty poorly so we'll see how this season goes.

DopeyFish

In this case they've said a character a month so I wish them the best of luck because if any of those slip, even by a week, forums are going to explode lol.

Communication, as always, will be key. Reasonable people who aren't trolls will understand any development delays but it goes a long way towards good will when you communicate with us.

Delays last season were handled pretty poorly so we'll see how this season goes.

Another problem is... we were mainly talking with MS last season. DH was kind of fading in and out mostly.

While it's great talking to MS as you get an idea on the plans for the future, the dev is who has to come through on the plan.

Durock

So I have a really strange glitch with the game. For whatever reason, it will not show the entirety of Spinal's 1st and 2nd endings. The music still plays, the text still appears on screen, but it freezes on the second screen. Once it finishes, it won't return to the main menu without pressing start. Anyone else experience something similar to this?

hwalker84

So I have a really strange glitch with the game. For whatever reason, it will not show the entirety of Spinal's 1st and 2nd endings. The music still plays, the text still appears on screen, but it freezes on the second screen. Once it finishes, it won't return to the main menu without pressing start. Anyone else experience something similar to this?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling.

Sephzilla

Bought an XB1 over the weekend and finally got to play KI. I actually like it a lot more than I was expecting. Pretty fun stuff, I think I like Orchid the most. Decided to give online a shot once and got absolutely rocked though.

Top Bottom