• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Its hard to picture Berserker Mike programming flying cows. I hope they got paid.

Newly activated and wanted to join this community. Hoping to go to evo with this game and marvel 3. Just trying to level up and add more friends to my list.
I use Jago, Thunder, Glacius, and Orchid. I mostly just practice with Jago tho.

XBL: FadedRevolution

daman824

Loving all the changes being made for season 2. In a prefect world, the next trailer would be a TJ, Maya mashup showcasig both of their stage music with a 3rd character reveal akin to the sadiras reveal at the end of thunders trailer.

Personally, I feel that the biggest thing this game has going for it and what's going to truly give it legs is the release and pricin structure. Normally with games, you play it extensively for about half a year before moving onto something else. But KI is constantly being updated and changed. It means that you're constantly hyped about the game.

Like sure, I'm a bit bummed that all the s2 characters won't be out till april. But then we have all the tournaments and learning of the new mehanics/characters and coming up with tier lists. And by the time that's all figured out, season 3 will be right around the corner.

More fighting games need to take this approach. I ended up selling titanfall, I sold ryse, i sold forza, I sold cod, but I still play KI daily because I know the game is going to stay relevant for at least another two years (roughly).

Silky

Banned
Newly activated and wanted to join this community. Hoping to go to evo with this game and marvel 3. Just trying to level up and add more friends to my list.

Welcome!

Awesome! Great to have you join. Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

is anybody online now? If so I'll be glad to put some sets in with y'all. Also does anybody have the crouns max. I want to use stick for this game but I don't want to drop 200 for a new one. I heard they had problems with it at a tourney before and I was wondering if those problems have been fixed.

DrDogg

I'm back from PAX. Here's a quick summary. I'll have more detailed info coming soon...

- Met Mick. He's super awesome. Very enthusiastic and passionate about his work. He basically implied that the fans are going to flip when they find out what's coming in season two (in terms of character reveals).

- Combo looks better, still don't like his face. He's very mobile, but it's hard to tell how he'll do once S2 hits. I need to see his frame data, but he has all the tools he needs assuming there's some safety in there.

- The system changes make a BIG difference in how you play. The meter gain reduction alone is big. Playing as Sabrewulf you can't rely on Shadow Eclipse every other knockdown.

- Sabrewulf is nerf city. A good number of his cross-up setups don't work anymore, his back dash is average at best (about on par with the rest of the cast, sans Spinal), and his forward dash doesn't go quite as far either. The change to Shadow Eclipse isn't a big deal though. And the Feral Cancels seemed REALLY good, although I was playing scrubs so...

- Fulgore is a beast now. Period. If you let him get started, you're done. He gets momentum really faster, almost forcing you to knock him down and reset the reactor speed.

- Spinal is much "easier," but still not as good as I'd like him to be. I still feel Skeleport should be completely invincible on the way down.

- Jago was nerf city. Scrub Jago players will have a really hard time with him now. Good Jago players will have to rework their game, but they should be able to reach similar results compared to S1 Jago.

- Glacius is better... and I don't like it. lol He doesn't get free counter breakers anymore, but just about every other change is a big buff for him.

- Sadira is a normal character now. She no longer breaks the game, but minus the broken stuff, I feel she's superior compared to S1.

- Thunder's Call of Thunder (?) projectile is better than it seems on paper. Pretty decent anti-air and keeps an opponent in check if they turtle. Can't use it up close at all, but I think it's a good addition. Couldn't test how safe Ankle Slicer is now, but it's definitely improved.

- Orchid is better, but I didn't have enough play time with her to see how much better.

sogood.jpg

Welcome!

I'm back from PAX. Here's a quick summary. I'll have more detailed info coming soon...

Thanks for the preview! Can't wait to see the detailed impressions.

rrc1594

I was talking to my friend about this. Do you think that some JP players from FGC would be, interested in playing KI? Why or Why not? What can they bring to KI scene that we haven't seen before.

.la1n

Thanks Dogg, I was looking forward to your impressions. Sounds like Spinal isn't as good as I had hoped he would be after the changes. I agree with you about the skeleport, I was hoping that would get changed but unfortunately it did not.

Really cool you got meet Mick, and knowing he is excited about the Season 2 cast makes me excited as well.

Haven't gotten all the way through this yet but big props to Keits for doing this and his enthusiasm for the game really shows. Some really good tidbits of information so far from part 1 and a rare glimpse into the team's thought process from not only the combat designers perspective but how the entire team functions.

oh

my

god

https://vine.co/v/OuBUq7JVYq0

ij2yV84IJKTXw.gif

edit: beaten lol

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Will have to give these a listen, thanks!

Haha, you were the first person I thought about when watching those Thunder changes, so glad to hear you got some hands-on. Thanks for the insights!

Maya's theme the "Thunder" Theme of S2? This would be quite cool.

I really hope the third character is not a human. I'm excited.

I'd like this too, but I feel the characters that have more crazy, unique animations will possibly be the ones we have to wait longest for in the season. It would be nice, though, after getting a new male, and a new female, to get a new... "other".

Well, in light of my rage for Spinal's lack of morphing, I messaged "The Kiets" who's apparently the combat designer. I've tweeted him daily, which is about 14 times asking the same question but he still hasn't responded. I don't understand how a fucking professional company can't even answer a simple question? How many more times do I have to ask this guy about it until he answers?

derFeef

Well, in light of my rage for Spinal's lack of morphing, I messaged "The Kiets" who's apparently the combat designer. I've tweeted him daily, which is about 14 times asking the same question but he still hasn't responded. I don't understand how a fucking professional company can't even answer a simple question? How many more times do I have to ask this guy about it until he answers?

I can spoiler the answer for you if you want.
Also be nice and patient, then people respond.

.la1n

Keits isn't the company nor it's PR representative. He replies when he is able to but he is under no obligation to do so. That aside, you can also try posting on the official forum as members of the team also respond there fairly often. Good luck, hopefully someone can get the answer for you.

Skab

I still love the fact that anytime anyone is playing Spinal it sounds like Tie Fighters are flying around the room.

Call of sky and the grenade seemed pretty underwhelming from what they showed although neither were used against the ideal characters I suppose. Orchid's grenade just seems so ridiculously slow. Don't want to speak definitively about anything since I obviously haven't played it but I think that grenade might need to be sped up just a bit.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I wonder if TJ's animations will get work as the season goes on? The main things that annoy me right now:
  • The wind-up for his shadow dashing-punch looks off. Like he's shrinking up into a ball, rather than winding back for a punch. Particularly the back foot. It looks more Comical than cool.
  • His pre-battle Stance is so different compared to the others. Maybe it's unfinished? Most face the screen, he faces the opponent in an almost purely 2D way.

I do like the way the recapture re-bound seems to have worked out (looks better than when it premiered), and his voice seems really booming in combat.

I'm already tired of hearing Thunder's "SUUPAAA FEEVAAAA!" as a separate move, lol. And people online would probably spam it just that much. Good it has some variations, sure, but I hope it gets livened up into it's own thing over time.

It was nice seeing Keits and Co. play, but this definitely makes me realize how nice it was to see Filthie play during the early days. His Glacius was a joy to watch, and he always seemed to have something great and cool to show each time he played. He was a great mix of professionalism, fun, and technical skill for the game.

These streams feels quite different, and while it's not BAD, I just miss some of the old feel. They're definitely a bit more straight-to-the-point than the old Microsoft streams.

We still have yet to hear Combo's full theme, come to think of it. Hm.

Call of sky and the grenade seemed pretty underwhelming from what they showed although neither were used against the ideal characters I suppose. Orchid's grenade just seems so ridiculously slow. Don't want to speak definitively about anything since I obviously haven't played it but I think that grenade might need to be sped up just a bit.

Call of Sky... Yeah, it seems like it'll only shine when it's being used for it's intended purpose, not when it's spammed just to show off.

Orchid's grenade I like a lot, personally. It's a tool used to pester wakeups, and to keep her a bit safe, and for that, it seems perfect. I like the fact that it feels like an option themed off of the "keep her safe" aspect of the firecat., yet not so good that it replaces it.

It seems just fast enough to let her make her next move safe, and not to begin pressure on it's own. That seems good, especially since firecat still exist, and hasn't been nerfed in any way. I wonder if she'll get some crazy non-shadowcounter blockstrings out of using hits, cats, and grenades all together...

.la1n

SCUUUBA STEEEVA is going to get beyond grating when the online trolls get a hold of it. TJ does still look off, idle stance, move animations, etc. I would imagine he has some final stretch polishing yet to go but I doubt a lot of my current gripes will see any attention in that time. Regardless he fits in pretty well and the character model has grown on me. IG is doing good work, I don't want to be overly critical.

I agree the old streams were a lot more fun but I am at least happy they are going to give us some casual matches. Perhaps with more prep work and not needing to change teams going into Season 3 we will get something similar to the first season streams the next go around. I know those guys have been insanely busy.

Top Bottom