• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Joeku

Just watched the Giant Bomb quick look. Game actually looks pretty damn rad. Between this, Forza and DR3, the Xbox's launch is looking hella better than the PS4's.

Thread title should be "Killer Instinct |OT| Jago Unchained", though.

Zee-Row

Banned
LET YOUR BODY ROCK , LET YOUR BODY MOVE , LET YOUR BODY JUMP , TO THE KILLER GROOVE!

Please tell me this song is in the game in some form!

Dueck

Banned
What are the chances that the US DLC codes within the Pin Ultimate Edition would be redeemable on a Canadian account? I really want it, but I know the points cards were never compatible...

Oh yeah. My GT is TomcatTheLion.

Won't have my console until Monday the earliest but feel free to add/follow me fellow KIGAF buddies. Can't wait to play!

LakeEarth

I love the different ultra shouts.

Short on hits? "Ultraaaaaa Combooooooooo!"
Got a good amount of hits? "ULLLLLLLTTRRAAAA!!!!!!"
Get > 100 hits (I think)? "UUULLLLLLTRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That last one is said with such intensity that I picture the guy bleeding from his eyeballs and tearing his hair out while screaming it.

Haines

Banned
Hey.

When I get my Xbox Friday, hooked up by 9AM Im guessing.

Should I be able to dl this game in at least an hour or something?

Obv nobody knows what will happen with issues, but wondered if anyone read anything about DL time etc,.

Dueck

Banned
Hey.

Obv nobody knows what will happen with issues, but wondered if anyone read anything about DL time etc,.

It really depends on how well MS's servers handle the load that day and your ISP's speed. I heard KI is about 3GB, so it shouldn't be too bad.

AMUSIX

Just to clarify on Shadow Jago...no way to get him now?

I've got a Day One XB1 coming, going to be ordering the $40 KI, and my Live account is billed to my CC, the same way it's been for the past 10 years.

But Shadow Jago was only available if I didn't bill Live to a CC, and if I picked up a specific 12Month Live card a week ago?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

I've got a Day One XB1 coming, going to be ordering the $40 KI, and my Live account is billed to my CC, the same way it's been for the past 10 years.

But Shadow Jago was only available if I didn't bill Live to a CC, and if I picked up a specific 12Month Live card a week ago?

Eh? You just need to buy this 12 month Gold subscription from a store.

265242_gen_a.png

I don't want to spoil Microsoft's money raking scheme but if you don't want to buy the $50 "day one gold membership". Shadow Jago will be available to purchase (probably for a few bucks) after Feb 1st.....

Durock

Ha, ha

From the giant bombcast:

I don't understand why they thought the game was so bad to begin with. Surely that isn't the general consensus? The SNES version alone sold over 5 million units. That's a lot of sales, especially for a fighter.

...Are they saying what I think they're saying?

OG KI was better than SF2 or Mortal Kombat. So under appreciated.

is that why the scene didn't stay around for long? KI wasn't a good fighter compare to ST or umk3. Not even close. Hopefully KI3 is a competent fighter that stays. It has a lot of hurdles to go through, more so than most fighters.

whitehawk

Banned
is that why the scene didn't stay around for long? KI wasn't a good fighter compare to ST or umk3. Not even close. Hopefully KI3 is a competent fighter that stays. It has a lot of hurdles to go through, more so than most fighters.
Perhaps it's because I'm not a competitive player, but KI was faster and more fun to me. Not to mention the fatalities and humiliations. So good.

Kalm

I don't want to spoil Microsoft's money raking scheme but if you don't want to buy the $50 "day one gold membership". Shadow Jago will be available to purchase (probably for a few bucks) after Feb 1st.....

That has never been confirmed.

It hasn't been specifically talked about by DH as far as I know, but the Feb.01 exclusivity date is definitely in the small-print when you buy the Day One XBL kit.

Small Print said:
Pre-order the Day 1 Edition of Xbox Live Gold and receive a bonus Shadow Jago character for Killer Instinct, for use only with Xbox One; both expected to be released in November 2013.
Additional Killer Instinct characters sold separately; requires 4 GB storage, for download only on Xbox One.
Shadow Jago available exclusively with Day One Xbox Live Gold until February 1, 2014; may be available elsewhere later.
Game for activation and distribution only in North America. A code will the packaged with the timecard. Limited quantities, while supplies last. Limit of one code per customer per order.

If I had to guess, Shadow Jago becomes available to everyone once he actually gets fleshed out and has a unique move-set. Maybe as a bridge between seasons one and two?

Perhaps it's because I'm not a competitive player, but KI was faster and more fun to me. Not to mention the fatalities and humiliations. So good.

O so you're talking from a casual perspective. Gotcha.

KI3 is trying hard to win over the FGC. The 3 big hurdles it has to pass is
1) xb1 only
2) low character roster
3) Its perception of TAC the game (marvel term).

MS is obviously trying to win over the FGC crowd, and I wonder if they will.

1) xb1 only
2) low character roster

Yeah, but i don't think they will, especially with XRD on PS4.

Kalm

1) xb1 only
2) low character roster

I think you're mistaken, mate. Slightly, at least.

Killer Instinct's main goal seems to be bringing in new players and converting them into fans of the genre. The ridiculously thorough Dojo mode and general accessibility of the systems seems to support this.

I love KI but it's never going to unseat the Capcom games and it doesn't really have to.

Just showing up, being excessively hype and ridiculously fun to play -- and watch -- is all that KI needs to do to be successful in the tournament scene; my opinion, obviously.

I think you're mistaken, mate. Slightly, at least.

Killer Instinct's main goal seems to be bringing in new players and converting them into fans of the genre. The ridiculously thorough Dojo mode and general accessibility of the systems seems to support this.

I love KI but it's never going to unseat the Capcom games and it doesn't really have to.

Just showing up, being excessively hype and ridiculously fun to play -- and watch -- is all that KI needs to do to be successful in the tournament scene; my opinion, obviously.

So sponsoring FGC events (CEO and any CEO related tournament) + Rumor EVO sponsorship isn't trying hard to win the FGC? Having Filthy show off the latest KI builds at WNF at superarcade and Next Level in NYC isn't trying hard?

The goal isn't to beat capcom games, the goal is to be the runner up.

Well, xrd is on ps3 too and GG has Always been a niche series.

Bigger than KI in America

zainetor

Banned
So sponsoring FGC events (CEO and any CEO related tournament) + Rumor EVO sponsorship isn't trying hard to win the FGC? Having Filthy show off the latest KI builds at WNF at superarcade and Next Level in NYC isn't trying hard?

Bigger than KI in America

has GG ever been as popular as how KI was during the nineties?

has GG ever been as popular as how KI was during the nineties?

I'm talking in the competitive scene. Casual wise then MK has been king for the longest time after ST.

GG stayed relevant for quite a number of years, until it was dropped at one EVO and has yet to ever return. I guess BB kind of took that mantle for a bit as well.

Kalm

On a marketing level, yes.

Of course they want the exposure that tournaments bring, especially now that live streaming has blown up.

We agree on the bolded and that was my point to begin with. :p

I should be getting my XB1 today if all goes well in Dubai.

Just a question on this; if i set it up and choose Australia as my country (As UAE isnt supported at all this year) - how can I purchase a game like KI?

With my old XBOX, i was on UAE server so i could use my UAE credit card.

Now, i dont have an Aus Credit card - can i still purchase Australian points cards and will they work?

I have NO idea how digital downloads are going to work until the UAE becomes an official xbox country!

Kalm

I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but...

My KI TE2 stick order finally locked in. As of an hour ago, I can no longer edit my shipping address / billing info and I'm currently unable cancel the order.

From experience, this usually means that the order has been charged to my cc, is in-warehouse and being packed up for shipment.

I preordered from Futureshop.ca in Vancouver, Canada and if they've received their shipment from Mad Catz...Amazon and the other huge retailers likely have as well. Bodes well for day-one deliveries (in NA, at least). :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't understand why they thought the game was so bad to begin with. Surely that isn't the general consensus? The SNES version alone sold over 5 million units. That's a lot of sales, especially for a fighter.

It's only Jeff. He fuckin' hates old KI with a passion that really showed in this bombcast.

so, just to make sure the accessories/costumes that you get in the ULTRA COMBOOOO version are ONTOP of the three sets per character we've seen so far, right? we get them in the following weeks/months after release, right?

Eh? You just need to buy this 12 month Gold subscription from a store.

265242_gen_a.png

Eh, why exactly do we need this vs if we already have a year of XBL already? Or in my case, 3 years paid up. Gotta love Amazon mistakes and letting keep the extra cards. The fact that we'd have to buy this just to get some benefits is really sad on MS's part.

bumpkin

Not gonna lie, I am very tempted to go for the Ultimate Pinny Edition of the game. The thing is, I'm sitting on $35 or so worth of credit in my XBL account. I could have the regular Ultra edition for $5 on Friday versus ordering the Pinny Edition and possibly not getting it 'til next week.

Well, that and I'm not sure $20 extra is worth an empty case and two pins.

.la1n

Not gonna lie, I am very tempted to go for the Ultimate Pinny Edition of the game. The thing is, I'm sitting on $35 or so worth of credit in my XBL account. I could have the regular Ultra edition for $5 on Friday versus ordering the Pinny Edition and possibly not getting it 'til next week.

Well, that and I'm not sure $20 extra is worth an empty case and two pins.

It's a neat collector's item and it does have some nice artwork, I think it depends on how much of a collector you are / like having a physical boxes. I'm one of the people that bought MvC2 on PS3 at gamestop because I wanted a physical box despite it only having a download code inside.

bumpkin

It's a neat collector's item and it does have some nice artwork, I think it depends on how much of a collector you are / like having a physical boxes. I'm one of the people that bought MvC2 on PS3 at gamestop because I wanted a physical box despite it only having a download code inside.
I think if I knew for sure that it'd be in my hot little hands Friday, I'd probably bite. I've been a huge fan of the series since its inception and I love collector's items. I'm also pretty married to having physical boxes/cases for my games. It was near torturous passing on buying Wind Waker HD (on Wii U) digitally when it was up two weeks before the retail disc. The Ganondorf statue in the physical limited edition was the tipping point for waiting.

DrDogg

Wait.. you can combo break linkers too? I thought it was just the auto-doubles. Do you just match the linker strength? I would imagine that the heavy linkers would be super easy to break, since they last quite a bit.

Yes, you can break everything except Enders (which you can break if you do Opener > Ender).

You definitely have to be careful with some heavy Linkers. Things like Sabrewulf's Ragged Edge or Orchid's Flik-Flak. It's pretty easy to see the third hit and break. However, with faster Linkers like Orchid's Rekka or Sabrewulf's overhead or low cross-up Linkers, it's much harder to react to the third hit.

I may do another combo theory article based on how I plan to handle breaks, but it's far less mathematical than my previous article. I will basically ignore light ADs and Linkers, memorize the animations for medium ADs and break heavy Linkers and ADs on reaction (don't need to memorize the animation because it's very clear anyway).

Hey.

Obviously the server load right now is much lighter than it will be on Friday, but it took me about 10 minutes to download KI and the Ultra bundle. I was able to play once it hit ~70%.

But I think its only in the options menu you can listen to killer cuts its not the actual game.

At present you can only listen to it in practice mode, along with a makeshift image of the original stage projected onto the practice stage background.

1) xb1 only
2) low character roster

This game is definitely not TAC: The Game. TAC is completely random right? Very little is completely random in KI. I'm surprised the FGC players would think they can't see and react to most of the animations.

Also, all this game needs is an Evo birth. That will keep it going for quite awhile.

so, just to make sure the accessories/costumes that you get in the ULTRA COMBOOOO version are ONTOP of the three sets per character we've seen so far, right? we get them in the following weeks/months after release, right?

You have the default look of each character, plus three accessory packs. With the Ultra bundle you get the third accessory pack unlocked immediately. It's the only way to get the third pack.

Shadow Breaker

Top Bottom