• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

This game is definitely not TAC: The Game. TAC is completely random right? Very little is completely random in KI. I'm surprised the FGC players would think they can't see and react to most of the animations.

TAC isn't 100% random, generally you have some degree of what direction they are going. I always thought KI was a 2d version of DOA mechanic

DrDogg

TAC isn't 100% random, generally you have some degree of what direction they are going. I always thought KI was a 2d version of DOA mechanic

You can make an educated guess on the TAC due to infinities and things like that, but there's no visual indication to know for sure which direction they're going, right?

The Combo Breaker system in KI is definitely similar to the counter system in DOA... just done right. In DOA you can counter endlessly with minimal risk. In KI, you do one incorrect Combo Breaker and you lose 30% or more. Plus I can counter your Combo Breaker or use Manuals to make it much harder to break. DOA has nothing like that.

Also, with a few exceptions, I can read the animation and break with 100% certainty. You can't do that very often in DOA.

BraXzy

Just to clarify on Shadow Jago...no way to get him now?

I've got a Day One XB1 coming, going to be ordering the $40 KI, and my Live account is billed to my CC, the same way it's been for the past 10 years.

But Shadow Jago was only available if I didn't bill Live to a CC, and if I picked up a specific 12Month Live card a week ago?

From BestBuy page:

Shadow Jago available exclusively with Day One Xbox Live Gold until February 1, 2014; may be available elsewhere later. Game for activation and distribution only in Canada, Mexico and the United States.

Haven't looked. You can unlock the original OST in game with Killer Points, which you earn as you play the game.

Not clear if the higher-priced versions already have it unlocked.

YouTube not good enough for you?
Whoa, really? The full original soundtrack is in the new game? That's awesome! Has anyone ripped / uploaded the new music? I wish they'd make the soundtrack available for purchase somewhere.

ShogunX

Looking forward to the Fulgore reveal

A lot of people are. Really hope Double Helix have gone for something like this -

speedpaint___fulgore_by_mechanubis-d6i4v9x.jpg

Also never realised how intimidating Chief Thunder looks in instinct mode. Hopefully Fulgore has a similar look.

You can make an educated guess on the TAC due to infinities and things like that, but there's no visual indication to know for sure which direction they're going, right?

The Combo Breaker system in KI is definitely similar to the counter system in DOA... just done right. In DOA you can counter endlessly with minimal risk. In KI, you do one incorrect Combo Breaker and you lose 30% or more. Plus I can counter your Combo Breaker or use Manuals to make it much harder to break. DOA has nothing like that.

Also, with a few exceptions, I can read the animation and break with 100% certainty. You can't do that very often in DOA.

No visual cue for TAC.

The counter the combo breaker to me is just throwing on a hold. I know there is a difference between the two systems, but its the general vibe that people get. Its also an easy way to explain the game to a fighting game player.

DrDogg

Here's a new basics guide for anyone who is having issues understanding the basic mechanics of KI:

http://primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/feature/killer-instinct-how-play-basics

DrDogg, have you uploaded any clips that are viewable via smartglass?

Not at the moment, but I suppose I can upload some. Most of the matches I play are against people who aren't very good... and I do not like playing on pad, but I guess I can upload some stuff.

No visual cue for TAC.

The counter the combo breaker to me is just throwing on a hold. I know there is a difference between the two systems, but its the general vibe that people get. Its also an easy way to explain the game to a fighting game player.

I strongly dislike the counter system in DOA, so to me... KI is infinitely better.

dankir

A lot of people are. Really hope Double Helix have gone for something like this -

speedpaint___fulgore_by_mechanubis-d6i4v9x.jpg

Also never realised how intimidating Chief Thunder looks in instinct mode. Hopefully Fulgore has a similar look.

I think he's going to look 100% different than the first two games. Gray body, blue claws, red eyes, maybe the ponytail hair?

This time around all characters are completely different (from a visual standpoint) anyways with some clear influence from the older designs.

I hope Fulgore bears little resemblance to his older designs and is something completely unique.

zainetor

Banned
I think he's going to look 100% different than the first two games. Gray body, blue claws, red eyes, maybe the ponytail hair?

This time around all characters are completely different (from a visual standpoint) anyways with some clear influence from the older designs.

I hope Fulgore bears little resemblance to his older designs and is something completely unique.

I think fulgore's design is the only one that has aged well. I can see them making him more evil and dark looking. Probably they will replace the ponytail, with some flames, energy or something else.

brettreyu

Are all the accessories and costumes in the Ultra pack available by unlocking them in the game or only through purchase of Ultra?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Are all the accessories and costumes in the Ultra pack available by unlocking them in the game or only through purchase of Ultra?

Ultra Pack comes with "Premium" accessory parts. The final column on the 4-line screen in the customization menu.These are apparenrly unlocked from the start; you don't have to buy them with KP.

We don't know how it handles actual costumes, because we haven't seen any in-game yet.

The other sets are all obtainable in the base game, for any characters you own. The 2 middle packs have to be unblocked with KP, no matter which set you purchase.

KP can be used to unlock:
  • Stages (the ones we've already seen)
  • Character colors (3 through 6)
  • Accessories (out of 4, sets 2 and 3)
  • Classic music themes (so far only usable in the training mode)
  • Concept art for stages and characters (viewable in gallery)
  • Livery for your profile (text taunts, backgrounds, and icons)

brettreyu

Ultra Pack comes with "Premium" accessory parts. The final column on the 4-line screen in the customization menu.These are apparenrly unlocked from the start; you don't have to buy them with KP.

We don't know how it handles actual costumes, because we haven't seen any in-game yet.

The other sets are all obtainable in the base game, for any characters you own. The 2 middle packs have to be unblocked with KP, no matter which set you purchase.

KP can be used to unlock:
  • Stages (the ones we've already seen)
  • Character colors (3 through 6)
  • Accessories (out of 4, sets 2 and 3)
  • Classic music themes (so far only usable in the training mode)
  • Concept art for stages and characters (viewable in gallery)
  • Livery for your profile (text taunts, backgrounds, and icons)

Thank you much good sir.

Nori Chan

For online, are ranked matches like lobby like wher you can choose your opponents like or you can like deny or accept the fight request? Or is it random?

derFeef

Moneyhats, moneyhats everywhere!

Seriously, awesome of them to acknoledge it. The microsoft guy on the stream was always pretty cool and open - he should look over more games :)

No visual cue for TAC.

The combination of lockouts and counter breakers makes the Killer Instinct counter system far superior to Dead or Alive's, IMO.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
You have to unlock stages with KP.......

....why?

To put some context to it, it takes 3000 KP to unlock all the current stages, at 500KP each.

To unlock 1 piece of Jago's 2nd costume set, it's 4000 KP. 12000 for that set. His other set is 1000 each piece, to total 3000.

This KI store Walkthrough gives a good idea of the kind of KP we can expect to spend...

dankir

NICK CAGE IS HOSTING THE OFFICIAL KI TOURNEY!??????

fixed :)

@Max, that's fucking sick dude. You're going to be official immortalized in the game of your dreams. I really hope it has something to do with your video when KI was first revealed back at e3.

Im probably going to miss the launch trailer if they don't show it tonight. I want to be one of the the first 50 so I can get my free backpack...which means I'll need to be their early.

So Double Helix, pls release the trailer tonight. thank u

Top Bottom