• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

This game is great and might be the thing that gets me more interested in fighting games overall

Great balance of accessibility and depth

Fletcher

Noob question/complaint here, guys, but i'm having the damndest time performing Jago's tiger fury move. What the hell am I missing here?

DrDogg

I asked this before but didn't get a response so thought I would try again. Does classic KI play the same as the new KI? Are combos done with the same flow of attacks and have to be finished with an ender? This is what is holding me back from buying the Ultra at this point. Is there a dojo mode for Classic KI?

It's a fairly different game. The combo system is far more restricted. Instead of pressing any button for an Auto-Double, you have to press specific buttons depending on the Linker/Opener used. It's also a much slower paced game, and there's no Dojo mode, only a Practice/Training mode.

I really think Sabrewulf is topest tire. I haven't had the displeasure of getting owned by him yet, but watching my bro play ranked and this guy does some disgusting set-ups...

He's solid, but I think Jago and Glacius are better. Sabrewulf puts you in a constant 50/50, but if you block correctly, he gets punished with a combo. Get locked out during that combo and you're taking 40% or more. So basically, guess right four times and you win. Plus, his Auto-Doubles aren't that hard to see, so I get broken a lot against skilled players.

man, i suck. whats a good follow up to a blocked special with jago? cant seem to punish when opportunities are there

Which special? Most of his stuff is safe, so you're best bet is to poke with a normal or go for a preemptive anti-air if you're fighting someone who likes to neutral jump after a safe block string or special.

i was shitting my pants this game... i got cocky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtdxwKZx_6A

You should use the Running Uppercut more, and the last combo before the match ended... if you had done the wall splat ender, you would've had a jump-in or dash cross-up mix-up. Could've won you the match right there.

I know the second mumber on your card is your ranked ranking, like I am still 2 FREE but what is the number before that? Mine says 03 with a gold KI shield beside it

It's your single player rank.

I got on as challenger. I got an 18 win streak with 4 losses and 50 wins, and yet I can be demoted? OMG

Yeah, it takes a lot to rank up, but not much to rank down. It's even harder at the beginning because a lot of skilled players are lower rank, which drops your current rank points quite a bit.

Repost. Anyone?

Which exercise is this? I haven't done all of Dojo mode yet. I think I did the first 19, then 25 and 26.

I got bored with survival mode pretty quickly and spent most of my time in practice. I couldn't even spend Dojo time with my characters of choice because it only exists for Jago (what the hell?)

Why don't you play online?

Also, I don't understand why people want more characters for Dojo mode. It teaches you the basics which essentially work for all characters. Do you really need someone to hold your hand that much? Dojo mode gives you everything you need to go into Practice mode and do your own thing.

dcx4610

I really wish the game was complete. I'm just not into playing people online. I want a story mode to go through to learn the characters. Playing countless matches vs. CPU just isn't all that fun.

It's free so it's hard to complain but I would have been much happier with the game delayed in order to deliver all characters, a story, finishers, humiliations, etc in a retail package.

agentreza

Not really, that's my main problem, I hate Jago so much - no other character is pushing me into the corner like Jago. I try to dash through him with Sabrewulf but either it's fireballs or random jumps that prevent me from doing so. I can dodge some fireballs with his run+light attack - but not reliably so.

Aaanyway - if some of you want a sparring partner that wants to learn the game and messes up a lot, add daFeef. :)

edit: should note I am from Europe, if that matters. But the netcode in this seems pretty awesome.

Hey Feef, add me up. Noob here, also trying to learn :)

GT: AGENTREZA

Delt31

It's an alt costume for the retro skin. Has the mohawk but it's real hair and died pink. White shirt with a black denim looking jacket with ripped off sleeves. Black pants and biker boots. Crowbars for the weapons. It's called "Mohawk mechanic" so that should give you an idea. Kind of looks like a Streets of Rage enemy which definitely fits with the retro motif.

why isn't this a classic remake of thunder? I don't want biker thunder I want classic skin like the others...

Although - I'm happy to hear they at least kept the mohawk.

btw - for those saying FU to MS for releasing this earlier - why not? Why would I not want to play this now? Don't get it.

why isn't this a classic remake of thunder? I don't want biker thunder I want classic skin like the others...

Although - I'm happy to hear they at least kept the mohawk.
You're misunderstanding me. It's labelled "Retro Alt Unlock 2" and something like "Dark Version: "Mohawk Mechanic"" which leads me to believe it's an ALTERNATE for the classic skin. Since the classic skins are practically new models, the other accessories aren't going to work with them so they are creating new accessory sets just for the classic skins. I would bet "Mohawk Mechanic" is one of them and the actual classic skin is there as well. It's just not in the pictures posted.

Skab

Holy crap. So I'm watching Max's stream archive from last night, and I just noticed that the impact flashes from hits are actually light sources and cause shadows to be cast off the player models. That's pretty awesome.

SegaShack

It's a fairly different game. The combo system is far more restricted. Instead of pressing any button for an Auto-Double, you have to press specific buttons depending on the Linker/Opener used. It's also a much slower paced game, and there's no Dojo mode, only a Practice/Training mode.

Thank you for letting me know. I was trying to find a how-to for it online but had no luck. I appreciate it. Once I buy it I will just have to play around until I figure it out.

Delt31

Sorry - misunderstood. OK that makes me feel better. DIdn't know theyre doing accessories for the classic models too.

Delt31

Thank you for letting me know. I was trying to find a how-to for it online but had no luck. I appreciate it. Once I buy it I will just have to play around until I figure it out.

The original KI is still a classic though. It might be b/c I was so in love with it when I was younger but it still holds up today. to me at least.

All I want is the pin edition of KI, it's incredibly aggravating that scalpers bought these and are being successful in selling them for over 100 dollars on ebay.

Double Helix please make one more batch ;_;

Durock

These should help. Explains how everything works in classic Killer Instinct.

Basic Move Guide:http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/killer-instinct-basic-moves/

Elementary Combo Theory: http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/killer-instinct-elementary-combo-theory/

Intermediate Combo Theory: http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/killer-instinct-intermediate-combo-theory/

Advanced Combo Theory: http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/killer-instinct-advanced-combo-theory/

Delt31

I wish they were using Orchids KI 1 costume and not her extra slutty KI 2 costume

Speechless. Not sure how to respond to this. don't want extra slutty for orchid? What's next - not liking the boob flash? ; )

It's KI cheese and I love it. Orchid lost a little of her sex appeal with the new costume so I'm happy to see they went with KI 2. Orchid's not a diplomat people.

bumpkin

All I want is the pin edition of KI, it's incredibly aggravating that scalpers bought these and are being successful in selling them for over 100 dollars on ebay.

Double Helix please make one more batch ;_;
Damn. I guess it's not available for sale anymore on the Microsoft Store website. That really is a bummer.

.la1n

It's apparent from these concept art sketches / early model work that the classic skins are going to be really well done. The fact that they are making the effort to alter the models is more than most fighters. I do hope we will see them before the end of the year for the existing cast.

I just need to see a good sketch of what they are going for with Glacius' classic and I will be content :p

Man, nothing is worse than getting your but handed to you in Ranked and the last thing you hear before the game is over is the other player saying, "Xbox, Record That"...haha! So good!

I have a feeling when I finally get around to play this game that there will be nothing but the best still playing and I'll have a very hard time winning a match. Then again, I might be able to pick it up for season 2.

Silky

Banned
It's apparent from these concept art sketches / early model work that the classic skins are going to be really well done. The fact that they are making the effort to alter the models is more than most fighters. I do hope we will see them before the end of the year for the existing cast.

I just need to see a good sketch of what they are going for with Glacius' classic and I will be content :p

Probably KI2 "Nipple" glacius.

brettreyu

I have a feeling when I finally get around to play this game that there will be nothing but the best still playing and I'll have a very hard time winning a match. Then again, I might be able to pick it up for season 2.

I think the distribution model will keep a lot of new blood flowing into the game every week. Although you might be hampered by those waiting to actually buy an Xbox One.

Kalm

I really wish the game was complete. I'm just not into playing people online. I want a story mode to go through to learn the characters. Playing countless matches vs. CPU just isn't all that fun.

It's free so it's hard to complain but I would have been much happier with the game delayed in order to deliver all characters, a story, finishers, humiliations, etc in a retail package.

I'm not trying to call you out, mate, but I see people saying the bolded bit all the time and it still doesn't make much sense to me...

You'd honestly rather have no KI for a couple more years? How is that less boring than actually playing the game? Especially when you know that most of the things on your wish-list are on the way.

The work-in-progress stuff isn't all bad either. The fact that DH is still in full development mode -- and already ridiculously receptive to community feedback -- means that KI could very well be the most balanced fighter we've ever seen.

Also, the pre-launch character teases, announcements and near constant exposure were great for us and for the game. It was basically non-stop hype and I'm kind of looking forward to at least another year of it as we get into (the almost guaranteed at this point?) season two.

Top Bottom