• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

malfcn

Finally got something to go to Skydrive!
http://sdrv.ms/1dxw7AC

I know it is not great, but I am more excited I got something to Skydrive.
Looks like you can't exit the screen while it works? Otherwise they get sent to Limbo?

I had this happen to me too before. According to Max in his stream, if they drop mid match nothing happens, but if they drop during an Ultra they lose.

That is still Lame. So you pull the plug right before you hit danger.

Izuna

Banned
I am so lucky this morning!

Thank you so much EagleEyes for Shadow Jago, you just saved my brother and I about 45 quid!

And finally on my quest to level up one rank this morning I came across DoubleHelixDev playing Glacius. I won (very lucky with breakers) -- uploading now to pick apart.

EDIT: No one probably cares but I put thousands of hours in SF4 and I am decent at 3rd Strike and KoF97 -- I truely believe KI is the best fighter in the last decade.

Screenshot__4_.png

http://sdrv.ms/1ge8tqq

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm intrigued. Like what?

A lot of random swears when you start up a combo/they get locked out due to probably not knowing kinect is on. The funniest for me was a match where I heard a young kid in the background, and in the middle of me doing a combo I heard the kid say "DAD YOU'RE NOT DOING SO GOOD".

Izuna

Banned
Just met MarkMan in Ranked, he was only Trial Horse so I wanted to play my best...
He is such a turtle and "I" deserved to lose in every sense, but I got lucky -- again. Longest KI match I ever had.

bumpkin

Has anyone else noticed that the Replays the game lets you watch of your fights aren't actually recordings of your fights? I went to watch one last night after a particularly impressive combo I pulled off, and I'm almost positive the way the match went in the recording most certainly was not the fight I just finished. Does the game take some sort of weird aggregate of what it thinks are your strategies and make a ghost?

Manbig

Just met MarkMan in Ranked, he was only Trial Horse so I wanted to play my best...
He is such a turtle and deserved to lose in every sense, but I got lucky -- again. Longest KI match I ever had.

Turtling = deserving to lose now? I must be out of touch!

Tenck

Thank you so much EagleEyes for Shadow Jago, you just saved my brother and I about 45 quid!

And finally on my quest to level up one rank this morning I came across DoubleHelixDev playing Glacius. I won (very lucky with breakers) -- uploading now to pick apart.

EDIT: No one probably cares but I put thousands of hours in SF4 and I am decent at 3rd Strike and KoF97 -- I truely believe KI is the best fighter in the last decade.

Screenshot__4_.png

Saw the vid. Really good stuff.

Also, glad to hear you praising KI. I've been a fighting fan since SF on SNES, and I bought an Xbox One just for KI. If I never own another game on the Xbox One, I'd still be happy with my purchase. Such a great game.

A lot of random swears when you start up a combo/they get locked out due to probably not knowing kinect is on. The funniest for me was a match where I heard a young kid in the background, and in the middle of me doing a combo I heard the kid say "DAD YOU'RE NOT DOING SO GOOD".

lmao, I would crack up and drop the combo

Izuna

Banned
Turtling = deserving to lose now? I must be out of touch!

Oops, I meant to say I deserved to lose. I've been lazy with my speech. I won't upload, but clearly I just got very lucky.

Saw the vid. Really good stuff.

Also, glad to hear you praising KI. I've been a fighting fan since SF on SNES, and I bought an Xbox One just for KI. If I never own another game on the Xbox One, I'd still be happy with my purchase. Such a great game.

When I was a child we had the original SF arcade (SF1 that is) in our garage. We weren't rich or anything, but I personally got to play almost every SF and a bunch of other fighters like VF2 and Tekken 3. Growing up though I always got beat by my brothers. Fast forward to SF4 and I decide to buy my very first arcade stick. Before I couldn't even do a Shoryuken consistently, even after all those years. I took my FG knowledge from Ninja Gaiden 2 and practiced SO HARD in SSF4 and managed to be at some point, one of the best Ibuki's (at least Top 5 I would say, at one point).

I'm still pretty average at 3D fighters, but alas I think I know what I'm talking about a bit when it comes to fighters. I'm only 20 and there are those with a lot of experience, but Killer Instinct 2013 is just the perfect mix of everything. Combo system aside, it has perfect 2D fighter mechanics, and even right out of the gate it appears to be perfectly balanced. The only thing one could possibly dislike about this game is the art/sound direction or combo system, and you'd have to have some unpopular thinking to have a problem with them.

I'm very happy that I have played KI. It sounds corny, but in my entire life of playing competitive fighters, KI makes me so happy to understand how fighters work.

Sushigod7

I suck at this game and I love it so much. When are we getting the f'ing soundtrack? I'm still searching for a Pin Edition damn MS retail stores have no idea what they are doing. Also you guys have some amazing videos I'm happy when I break 15-20 on a combo I haven't mastered it by any means. Really the one game I keep playing on XB1.

w00zey

Is there a link to a pdf with everyones moves/linkers/enders/etc? I see places on line that talk about theory and what not but not a move guide I can print out.

Izuna

Banned
Is there a link to a pdf with everyones moves/linkers/enders/etc? I see places on line that talk about theory and what not but not a move guide I can print out.

Pretty sure most characters only have 3/4 specials, and in general everything can be an ender if heavy, and moves that launch are always enders even if light.

It should be hard to memorise everything with every character after going into practice mode and looking at the command list.

Durock

We put these together last Thursday. It's there for every Xbox One character. Should be what you're looking for, with the exception of Linkers. I kind of forgot to put those in (will add later)...

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/jago/

Just navigate to the Home Page and click the character's image your interested in for the rest.

w00zey

Pretty sure most characters only have 3/4 specials, and in general everything can be an ender if heavy, and moves that launch are always enders even if light.

It should be hard to memorise everything with every character after going into practice mode and looking at the command list.

I was just hoping for a place to look at it visually though instead of continually pausing.

I think what I am looking for most are linkers. I dunno. I like to look at that shit while I'm at work and I can't do that becuase I can't find a place online that lists all of someones moves.

Chairhome

So Kinect does pick up voice while you're playing? Oops, haha. I was playing last night and some guy was doing some decent stuff with Orchid and I told my friends that were with me "I think this guy knows what he's doing", and a few seconds later, he said, "I can do it again if you want". I wasn't sure if he actually heard me, but I proceeded to continue whoopin him, haha.

I seem to be doing decent with Thunder. Finally ranked up to Young Blood. My W/L is probably 50% though. I feel like I'm getting better though. I love this game, and the netcode is amazing.

Prine

Banned

Screenshot__4_.png

Fucking AMAZING!!!!

So I've never really played a fighting game (past the regular button mashing approach) and I'm 38 so my reflexes are not what they were (and they were awful to start with)... I'm not going to do very well at this game, am I? I am already confused in the Dojo trying to remember the moves... double roundhouse... throw... wha?..

I guess I need to go through Max's videos - any other tips for a complete noob? Or is it just that I have to man up and learn all the special moves? Or should I just focus on one character?

Chairhome

So I've never really played a fighting game (past the regular button mashing approach) and I'm 38 so my reflexes are not what they were (and they were awful to start with)... I'm not going to do very well at this game, am I? I am already confused in the Dojo trying to remember the moves... double roundhouse... throw... wha?..

I guess I need to go through Max's videos - any other tips for a complete noob? Or is it just that I have to man up and learn all the special moves? Or should I just focus on one character?

Its probably best to try out every character for a little just to see who you like (if you bought all of the characters), but Dojo mode is very good. It goes a little too in-depth if you're going to play it casually, but if you can wrap your head around it, it will help you a lot if you want to use Jago as a main. The lessons apply to all characters but if you are having trouble remembering the moves, you can stick with Jago.

But yeah, once you figure out who you want to use, stick to one character, then learn the basics: combo breakers, shadow moves, anti-air, anti-projectiles and combos (opener, auto, linker, auto, ender)

Izuna

Banned

You will be fine, when you are confident with the Dojo you will be pretty good considering...

The Dojo forces you to learn almost all of the advance techniques of 2D fighters not including how to do combos etc. keep at it!

bumpkin

Try the tutorial
Seconded. The Dojo mode does a pretty good job of showing you the ropes. It does reach a point where it ramps up pretty quick IMO, but it gives you a good foundation before doing so. The lessons start getting tricky around the low teens.

The Dojo forces you to learn almost all of the advance techniques of 2D fighters not including how to do combos etc. keep at it!

But yeah, once you figure out who you want to use, stick to one character, then learn the basics: combo breakers, shadow moves, anti-air, anti-projectiles and combos (opener, auto, linker, auto, ender)

Top tips, thanks chaps. I bought all the characters - partly because Max's ravings pre-release got me excited about it and partly just to support the devs (like a kind of after-the-event kickstarter) - it'll just be nice to wipe the floor with friends when they come over ;-)

spannicus

Screenshot__4_.png

dope video.

bumpkin

the hell, im stuck on dojo #9 :/ , even when teaching me how to fight i suck haha.
What's lesson #9?

10 was the first one I got stuck on. The funny thing is I went back to it the next day and got through it in a few tries. The one I'm stuck on now is the lesson where you have to do D+HP, followed by an HP Tiger Fury. I keep getting Endokukens. Just having a bitch of a time reliably pulling off the dragon punch motion with either the stick or the d-pad.

fallingdove

Do we know if the game is going to be further optimized with the release of Fulgore/Spinal/Story Mode? Matches take forever to load - 20 seconds or more.

I won my first match a couple nights ago even got an ultra finisher too.

Nice to get paired with someone at the same skill level as me, with everyone else I was lucky if I managed to get a couple hits on them!

the hell, im stuck on dojo #9 :/ , even when teaching me how to fight i suck haha.

Yeah I had trouble when the dojo started to introduce linkers in a combo, couldn't get the timing down for the longest time.

Screenshot__4_.png

Holy shit! You a psychic mofo with those combo breakers... Good shit man!

*Mental Note: avoid Perfect Izuna on Killer Instinct

Izuna

Banned
Holy shit! You a psychic mofo with those combo breakers... Good shit man!

*Mental Note: avoid Perfect Izuna on Killer Instinct

Haha nah, my breaker rate is like 80% on the average person, but I get read so much when I am playing someone really good. They usually start light or medium, and if I see them start in heavy I guess they will go medium etc.

I haven't been to training so I need to guess, I have no idea how to do it on reaction. Later on I won't win unless I train better.

EDIT: If my opponent can't break Shadows though I always go for this 70% combo -- Opener (mix up auto) Linker -> Lockout? -> Heavy, Medium, Linker -> Shadow -> Shadow -> Finisher. When I get a stick I will shorten it with manuals, but right now they are impossible to do.

Booter

I love this game but I am terrible at it. Ive bought it out of my love but I cant play. I wish I was better at fighting games.

do you have expectations that you'll be good at a brand new game after having never played it before? that makes no sense. the ONLY way anyone has ever gotten good at these games is to PRACTICE them. if you like playing the game, play it. you'll get better. if you're going to wallow in misery about how you wish you were "better at fighting games", you'll be that guy.

ezekial45

Banned

Screenshot__4_.png

Can you upload this elsewhere? I can't see it.

Enordash

This game is pretty amazing. I am having some trouble with the pad though. Can't wait for my stick to come. I must keep accidentally hitting left trigger because I get shadow moves when I don't mean to. It really hasn't been the sea of Jagos that everyone was worried about at least for me. I bought Ultra and he's been my main so far though. I think I've seen Thunder and Orchid the least so far. On second thought, maybe I've seen Glacius the least.

Top Bottom