• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

dankir

Need some more friends to play with, Dopeyfish is always falling asleep on Netflix lol.

GT: DONKER

I played about exhibition / ranked for about 6 hours straight Saturday night. Pretty much owned with Thunder, Jago and Sadira.

I love the quality of the Kinect mic too, played about 20 matches straight against a group having a party or something and their reactions during the matches were priceless lol.

Everybody plays Jago, I've played against an Orchid and Sabrewulf a few times. No Thunders ( he's fucking awesome yo!) Glacius or Sadiras yet.

My best ranked matched was against a Jago ranked a few levels above me and he had no idea how to fight against my Sadira. Her air mobility is ridiculous and the double jump into the down + medium kick is so sweet after a corner knockdown is fantastic.

His play by play during the match was hilarious lol.

I got my art book today, pretty freaking sweet just waiting on the TE stick. I'm getting pretty good with the X1 controller though.

edit: Also the most satisfying thing I've found is pulling off a Shadow breaker or a Shadow counter :)

dankir

will add

don't pick Sadira or i'll desync

But she's so fun :)

Are there any good combo guides up? I've found all the character guides on DH forums and eventhubs but that stuff is primarily general info thats already available. Any links would be greatful.

Phreaker

I suck at this game and I think it's because I have a hard time going from left, to down, to down left + action. Would the arcade stick help? I can pull off the "roll" moves that go from down to down left to left, but the one I mentioned above I just can't seem to pull off with any soft of regularity. I really like the game, but I just can't pull off the combos and I think it's because I am having a hard time with the d-pad, but I don't really know. A $200 controller for a game I am not sure I will ever be good at is quite an investment.

Enordash

This game is amazing, but I despise playing on pad and my TE2 stick is no where in sight. I've noticed that a lot of people just automatically go for mid combo breakers and nothing else. The pad is super touchy about getting heavy linkers too. I want to learn someone other than Jago, but I'm just garbage every time I attempt to switch.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I suck at this game and I think it's because I have a hard time going from left, to down, to down left + action. Would the arcade stick help? I can pull off the "roll" moves that go from down to down left to left, but the one I mentioned above I just can't seem to pull off with any soft of regularity. I really like the game, but I just can't pull off the combos and I think it's because I am having a hard time with the d-pad, but I don't really know. A $200 controller for a game I am not sure I will ever be good at is quite an investment.

Try the Analog stick. It's very responsive for all your double-tap and DP motion needs. Doing "Left, Down, Down-Left" motions seems to be an issue for many people on the One's D-Pad, myself included.

This game is amazing, but I despise playing on pad and my TE2 stick is no where in sight. I've noticed that a lot of people just automatically go for mid combo breakers and nothing else. The pad is super touchy about getting heavy linkers too. I want to learn someone other than Jago, but I'm just garbage every time I attempt to switch.

People would have a "Go to 1 specific breaker!" instinct with a Joystick, too; it's probably higher for newbie-people due to the pad set-up, but after some playtime, it's more "player specific" rather than "pad specific", if you know what I mean.

Super touchy about heavy linkers... will be even MORE likely on a Joystick with extra-sensitive buttons, like the T.E. This is an issue where the player has to stop blaming the tools, and instead blame their own execution. There's learning on this for any control method.

Switching between characters in this game isn't horrible, if you give yourself time to get into a groove with each one. At first, your muscle memory wants to say "This is my linker, this is my DP, this is my ender!" and you do the same motions as Jago's moves for everything without thought... but if you give yourself some time to say "This is GLACIUS' best linker!" or "These are my Go-To's for Sadira!", you can switch between characters much more efficiently.

DrDogg

If you're a Wulf player then you will consistently have issues with Glacius as he can fight from long range and all you got as the Wulf/Dog is to be in someones face at all times. I like this, and I feel Glacius is fine just where he is at.

It's not just Sabrewulf. Thunder has even more trouble with him and it's not an even match with Orchid either.

It's too early to want nerfs. I'd rather wait and see how things play out some months ahead before crippling a character.

Like I said, at the very least he needs to be *fixed*. Zoning character or not, he should not have risk-free full-screen Counter Breakers. That breaks the game, IMO.

That said, I don't see how removing the delayed Hail would hurt Glacius all that much. You'd just have to be a little better with him to keep the opponent out. He didn't have the delayed Hail at Evo and he was really good there.

It feels like 1 out of 50 matches are Glacius. :(
And I finally find and and all he does is poke from across the screen. Gotdahm.

At higher ranks you run into more and more Glacius players. They seem to move up the ranks quickly. Go figure...

Is Jago's flying kick move safe? People have been spamming that against me and I cannot find a proper followup with Thunder.

It's not safe against most Shadow moves, so if you have meter you can probably punish it. As Sabrewulf I can punish with the Shadow Ragged Edge. Just go into Practice mode, set the dummy to do the Wind Kick (start with the heavy version), then immediately block.

See what you can hit the dummy with after the Wind Kick.

BTW, have DH announced a date when they are releasing Spinal this month? Also, whats going on with being able to switch to the original announcer? I bought the $40 package and the announcer option is still not accessible to me. I LOVE the new one, but it would be cool to hear the old announcer for nostalgia purposes, and just to switch it up every now and then.

I don't like the original announcer. He sounds far less enthusiastic than he used to. I originally switched to "Chris" but after discovering he didn't have the same emphasis he used to have, I switched back to "Mike".

My best ranked matched was against a Jago ranked a few levels above me and he had no idea how to fight against my Sadira. Her air mobility is ridiculous and the double jump into the down + medium kick is so sweet after a corner knockdown is fantastic.

Her dive kick will not work in that situation against good players. To my knowledge it never crosses up in the corner, and it's unsafe when blocked. So it's basically a free punish.

Are there any good combo guides up? I've found all the character guides on DH forums and eventhubs but that stuff is primarily general info thats already available. Any links would be greatful.

Not sure what you mean by "combo guide" since the combo system is so open, but I wrote a combo theory article: http://primagames.com/games/killer-...tinct-how-achieve-maximum-damage-minimal-risk

Super touchy about heavy linkers... will be even MORE likely on a Joystick with extra-sensitive buttons, like the T.E. This is an issue where the player has to stop blaming the tools, and instead blame their own execution. There's learning on this for any control method.

I have yet to find a TE2 despite the three orders I've placed, but I don't think this is a player thing. I can barely tap the buttons on pad and still get a heavy Linker. The buttons are far too sensitive.

I may actually cancel all of my TE2 orders and just pad hack my current stick since I'm sick of waiting. I've never had an issue with overly sensitive buttons on any other stick or pad.

For anyone that is interested there is a tournament here with a $40 Xbox gift card and the Prime KI guide up for grabs.

I was interested until I saw it's single elimination with no word on number of matches per set, no regional seeding, and only one match played per week. :(

dankir

Not sure what you mean by "combo guide" since the combo system is so open, but I wrote a combo theory article: http://primagames.com/games/killer-...tinct-how-achieve-maximum-damage-minimal-risk

Well I think more along the lines of whats the best combo to do when you get a lockout. All I've learned from the Dojo mode for Jago is Heavy Double, Medium Double, Quick Double, ender.

What's the most optimal thing for Thunder, Glacius, etc. Things for Sadira to do after she launches somebody in the air after a throw. Basically follow up moves, air juggles, etc. I got the guide today so I have yet to download the digital version though.

dankir

My first fighting game and I absolutely love it. Only catch is I am abysmal at it and cannot for the life of me pull off a linker in the Dojo (10).

What do you have to do in that one? I'm one the last one but its hard to pull off on the X1 pad. I'll wait for the TE stick to complete it.

RBH

For those who have the game, is there any way to get an idea of how this game is doing sales-wise based on the number of people who are playing online?

Hoping for it to do well.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's not just Sabrewulf. Thunder has even more trouble with him and it's not an even match with Orchid either.

Thunder can Sammamish right under ice lance, and he gets a LOT of horizontal screen reach distance with it. He can also DP through hail. Armored Triplax eats hail, so Glacius can't use it as a "pseudo combo breaker" as he can as easily on the rest of the cast (minus Jago. Shadow Wind Kick has SO MUCH projectile invul!). After he's knocked down, he's free to many crossups (since puddle punch has no auto correct, and you can land deep crosses that are beneath an anti-cross hail), and Safejump'd Non-instinct cancelled Puddles are free to CotE's, shadow or normal.

Like I said, at the very least he needs to be *fixed*. Zoning character or not, he should not have risk-free full-screen Counter Breakers. That breaks the game, IMO.

So, maybe make the delay on ranged counter breakers a bit longer? All it needs to do is leave him open long enough for you to get into "You do a move, and I counter into combos / punish with unbreakable shadow openers" range.

That said, I don't see how removing the delayed Hail would hurt Glacius all that much. You'd just have to be a little better with him to keep the opponent out. He didn't have the delayed Hail at Evo and he was really good there.

I'd rather just see other characters given tricks like Holdable Hail. I like the fact it disappears if it goes off-screen before release.

Her dive kick will not work in that situation against good players. To my knowledge it never crosses up in the corner, and it's unsafe when blocked. So it's basically a free punish.

Can't she cancel the blocked dive into a special almost instantly on hit, though? I want her to be MUCH more punishable after it, but the good Sadira's I've fought make it seem near risk-less, when they hit deep with it.

I have yet to find a TE2 despite the three orders I've placed, but I don't think this is a player thing. I can barely tap the buttons on pad and still get a heavy Linker. The buttons are far too sensitive.

I may actually cancel all of my TE2 orders and just pad hack my current stick since I'm sick of waiting. I've never had an issue with overly sensitive buttons on any other stick or pad.

Reminds me of switching from a Hori EX2 to a T.E.; all my presses that were normal before were suddenly being detected as negative edges, basically. Messed me up for a good while, when I started playing HDRemix around that time.

It is REALLY easy to get a heavy linker, and I feel like I have to consciously think "don't press it for long!" rather than it being a comfortable "ok, so that was a light!" feel, but I don't find it impossible to circumvent. So now, it never happens when I'm calm in a match, but if I'm REALLY feelin' that pressure... every light linker is then followed by a heavy one :-/

Using Analog on this game is SO much better than it was on KoF Neowave on Backward-compatible Xbox 360 Online play. This game also doesn't have any of the stuff that I really prefer Joystick for (Highjump cancelling, Cross-position buttons that can't be pressed easily by your thumb on a controller, like KoF's B+C, and really-complex button-hold stuff, like holding TAP on a controller w/o button binds), so I haven't felt the burn for a Joystick as much as I will when "Legend of Raven" comes out... I'll NEED a stick to play Iruka Hanzo 100% in that game, no doubt at ALL... and she's my Main n the game, soooo....

dankir

Oh shit the digital guide from Prima has all the character strategies and shit. Awesome, just what I was looking for!

Dai101

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtEJyGtcSE

2:03

b06.gif

The mamaries memories

Nori Chan

I'm going to have to spam beg double helix on twitter to bring a sound test to the game. The sound track is too good not to stand by idling while doing other things listening to the themes of this game.

FinKL

I believe it's opener>manual>linker>manual>ender
Not in front of my Xbox at the moment, but I believe that is it.

Break it down, slowly and add more parts as you "master" them

1) Opener>Manual x10 times
2) Opener>Manual>Linker x10 times
3) Opener>Manual>Linker>Manual x10 times
4) Opener>Manual>Linker>Manual>Ender x10 times

Note manuals have to be done extremely late, problem I had was I was doing them too early.

dankir

Break it down, slowly and add more parts as you "master" them

1) Opener>Manual x10 times
2) Opener>Manual>Linker x10 times
3) Opener>Manual>Linker>Manual x10 times
4) Opener>Manual>Linker>Manual>Ender x10 times

Note manuals have to be done extremely late, problem I had was I was doing them too early.

ALso note that the first normal attack after the Heavy Wind Kick ender that results in a wall bounce is a manual as well. So you can incorporate that into that combo and it'll still count.

bs000

Exhibition trials aren't unlocking for me. I won 4 in a row and did 4 tech throws but neither are completed when I go back to menu. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I press right on the dpad and select the trials directly so I'm definitely in the right game mode.

bumpkin

For anyone that is interested there is a tournament here with a $40 Xbox gift card and the Prime KI guide up for grabs.
Nice... I have a sinking feeling I'd be out in the first round though, probably swept. I'm no good at a lot of KI's more advanced techniques.

EDIT: What the hell, why not? I'll play. Got nothin' to lose!

I'm still having trouble doing forward > down > forward/down, both with analogue stick and d-pad.

These motions are pretty hard for me too. I'm actually developing a blister from playing this game with the analog. Other games don't bother me, but I just get too intense with the motions in this game. My stick is 2 weeks away, though. So sad.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Exhibition trials aren't unlocking for me. I won 4 in a row and did 4 tech throws but neither are completed when I go back to menu. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I press right on the dpad and select the trials directly so I'm definitely in the right game mode.

Same here.

Kalm

I'm still having trouble doing forward > down > forward/down, both with analogue stick and d-pad.

These motions are pretty hard for me too. I'm actually developing a blister from playing this game with the analog. Other games don't bother me, but I just get too intense with the motions in this game. My stick is 2 weeks away, though. So sad.

Sorry for the dumb question, but you guys know that the DP shortcut works in KI, right?

Down Forward > Down > Down Forward.

It's one of the easiest moves to input on a pad analog stick. Just flick it :D

Sorry for the dumb question, but you guys know that the DP shortcut works in KI, right?

Down Forward > Down > Down Forward.

It's one of the easiest moves to input on a pad analog stick. Just flick it :D

First fighting game I've invested in since VF2 probably, so no. I will try this out. I've been missing so many finishers. Still doesn't fix my thumb blister, though. lol

EDIT: And OMG this will make that air defense dojo lesson so much easier I bet. I've been stuck on it forever. Can't wait to try it out.

def sim

Fix is still a nerf in this context. This game has not been figured out yet and wanting to remove something from him a little more than a week into the game's release is excessive to me. Up close, his only real reversal costs meter and is punishable on block, he has no dashes, and a character like orchid can push him into the corner by trip guard punishing him with one of her supers. Like I said, it's still early on and I'm not convinced these super rushdown heavy characters with many options at their disposal are as helpless as you make them seem.

So, maybe make the delay on ranged counter breakers a bit longer? All it needs to do is leave him open long enough for you to get into "You do a move, and I counter into combos / punish with unbreakable shadow openers" range.

Yeah, that could work if he does end up being too effective. Right now, Glacius gets away with so many thing he shouldn't. Maybe because we aren't used to what is punishable? Popping hail without knockdown, a blocked ice lance, random jumps into j.forward or j.hk for zoning, I don't think any of that will fly moving forward.

Naked Lunch

I don't own KI yet, but I may be able to give some advice.

Jago's wind kick(the flying kick) is safe, but it doesn't leave him with frame advantage. Light leaves him at -2, medium leaves him at -3, heavy leaves him at -5.

You're using Thunder? After blocking a wind kick, maybe try for a standing light punch into his command throw? At -2/-3 the Jago might be able to jump in response to anything you try after blockstun, but it's an option. A standing light punch into his command throw will be a tick throw, whether it's on block or hit. You could also try muscling through it with Thunder's shadow Triplax, since it has one hit of super armor, or invuln. through it with shadow Sammamish, but both will require meter of course. Regular Sammamish might work as an answer, but I don't know if it has invuln. frames.

If the Jago is using wind kick as a means of getting in from distance, you could try neutral jumping/jumping back and punishing him with a jumping attack as you approach the ground. I've heard players suggest this as a general anti-wind kick strategy, regardless of character.

Hopefully these give you some answers to that pesky ninja and his knife.
Thanks for this huge response - and sorry for the late reply!

DrDogg

Thunder can Sammamish right under ice lance, and he gets a LOT of horizontal screen reach distance with it. He can also DP through hail. Armored Triplax eats hail, so Glacius can't use it as a "pseudo combo breaker" as he can as easily on the rest of the cast (minus Jago. Shadow Wind Kick has SO MUCH projectile invul!). After he's knocked down, he's free to many crossups (since puddle punch has no auto correct, and you can land deep crosses that are beneath an anti-cross hail), and Safejump'd Non-instinct cancelled Puddles are free to CotE's, shadow or normal.

Sabrewulf can slide under the Ice Lance as well, it doesn't make it a good strategy. It's not like Thunder can react to an Ice Lance with a Sammamish, and if he just tosses it out there, it's a big risk.

Shadow Triplax only has one hit of armor, so if Thunder uses it to go through Hail, the Glacius player only needs to stick out a limb to interrupt and start a combo. Even if he doesn't, that requires meter. None of Glacius' zoning tools require meter.

After a knock down he is free to cross-ups. That's the only weakness he has at the moment (which is remedied by meter), but it's not something Sabrewulf can take advantage of since he has no aerial cross-ups by design.

Anyway you put it, Thunder has to work harder and take more risks to get in than Glacius does to keep him out.

It would need to be a pretty long delay. Against any other character I have time to hit cr.MP into an Opener on-reaction. Against Glacius I'd need to dash forward from full-screen, wait for my dash recovery to end, then have time to hit cr.MP.

I'd rather just see other characters given tricks like Holdable Hail. I like the fact it disappears if it goes off-screen before release.

I don't know if that would make things fair. The other characters are pretty well balanced IMO. I think Orchid needs a buff and Thunder might need a very slight buff, but the other characters are fine. I'm expecting Spinal to be broken though.

I have issues with Sadira, but that's just because she's in the air all the time and difficult to combo/lock down. Not sure there's anything that can be done about that without completely reworking the character.

Can't she cancel the blocked dive into a special almost instantly on hit, though? I want her to be MUCH more punishable after it, but the good Sadira's I've fought make it seem near risk-less, when they hit deep with it.

No, it's non-cancelable on block.

Using Analog on this game is SO much better than it was on KoF Neowave on Backward-compatible Xbox 360 Online play. This game also doesn't have any of the stuff that I really prefer Joystick for (Highjump cancelling, Cross-position buttons that can't be pressed easily by your thumb on a controller, like KoF's B+C, and really-complex button-hold stuff, like holding TAP on a controller w/o button binds), so I haven't felt the burn for a Joystick as much as I will when "Legend of Raven" comes out... I'll NEED a stick to play Iruka Hanzo 100% in that game, no doubt at ALL... and she's my Main n the game, soooo....

The main reasons I need a stick are because I need 6 face buttons, and the buttons are all too sensitive. Even if we don't talk about the heavy Linker issue, I hit the triggers all the time on accident. It's super frustrating and has lost me plenty of matches.

Fix is still a nerf in this context. This game has not been figured out yet and wanting to remove something from him a little more than a week into the game's release is excessive to me. Up close, his only real reversal costs meter and is punishable on block, he has no dashes, and a character like orchid can push him into the corner by trip guard punishing him with one of her supers. Like I said, it's still early on and I'm not convinced these super rushdown heavy characters with many options at their disposal are as helpless as you make them seem.

So Glacius needs full screen, risk-free Counter Breakers or it's a nerf?

Up close Glacius has a variety of ways to get the opponent back out. He may have to take a risk with a Puddle Punch or throw, but no more of a risk than the opponent has to take to maintain pressure. At close range I'd say it's a 5-5 match-up. The problem is that at a distance I believe Glacius owns everyone but Jago, and while you can get in, one misstep or even a Combo Breaker and you're right back out.

Yeah, that could work if he does end up being too effective. Right now, Glacius gets away with so many thing he shouldn't. Maybe because we aren't used to what is punishable? Popping hail without knockdown, a blocked ice lance, random jumps into j.forward or j.hk for zoning, I don't think any of that will fly moving forward.

I know exactly what I can and can't punish when I play against Glacius. Unfortunately, Sabrewulf can't punish him as well as Jago, but most characters need meter to even be a moderate threat from a distance. At closer range, he can cancel Ice Lance into specials to keep it safe, and delayed Hail makes almost everything safe for him.

Neo Ankh

Neo Member
What is everyone doing about the messed up black level on this game? Is setting the xbox to 720 output the only fix for now?

def sim

So Glacius needs full screen, risk-free Counter Breakers or it's a nerf?

Up close Glacius has a variety of ways to get the opponent back out. He may have to take a risk with a Puddle Punch or throw, but no more of a risk than the opponent has to take to maintain pressure. At close range I'd say it's a 5-5 match-up. The problem is that at a distance I believe Glacius owns everyone but Jago, and while you can get in, one misstep or even a Combo Breaker and you're right back out.

I know exactly what I can and can't punish when I play against Glacius. Unfortunately, Sabrewulf can't punish him as well as Jago, but most characters need meter to even be a moderate threat from a distance. At closer range, he can cancel Ice Lance into specials to keep it safe, and delayed Hail makes almost everything safe for him.

No, I'm talking about the delayed hail. Counter breakers from a distance is an issue with counter breakers in general, no? At some point, these animations will become incredibly obvious to break so manuals and counter breakers will be very important. As far as I know, Glacius cannot do a manual with his long range combos.

Also, I would certainly hope a zoning character would have an advantage at range. I don't know about "owns," but what I've seen so far, even from people who've played this game for a bit, dudes just like throwing away meter or want to RTSD all day. I'd really like to see how Street Fighter players handle his zoning in the next six months before jumping the gun on what's broken or not.

Calibus

ULTRA COMBOO! - is when you perform one ultra.

ULTRAAA! - is when you perform a second one
within that combo, by instinct cancelling the first to continue on.

Or maybe when you do a crap load of hits.. lol.

The Ultra part was already answered for you, but with regular combos if he doesnt say Combo at the end, then you didn't finish the combo with an ender, and you lost most of your damage.

Ah ok, thanks. Been years since I touched KI, I've forgotten all the little nuances.

Anyone have any tips for dealing with the Jagos that do nothing but sit across the screen and spam fireballs and wind kicks? I try to block them and counter immediately after but it doesn't work a good amount of the time. I had about 5 Jagos in a row that did nothing but this and caused me to rank down to Young Blood. I'm just not sure if I'm just not fast enough on the counter or if wind kick is safe enough to where you really can't counter it.

FinKL

Anyone have any tips for dealing with the Jagos that do nothing but sit across the screen and spam fireballs and wind kicks? I try to block them and counter immediately after but it doesn't work a good amount of the time. I had about 5 Jagos in a row that did nothing but this and caused me to rank down to Young Blood. I'm just not sure if I'm just not fast enough on the counter or if wind kick is safe enough to where you really can't counter it.

Who do you play as? Gonna determine a lot of your options. Generally though:

Fireball spammers, slowly close in on them by moving forward and blocking. When close enough, try jumping in on them trying to read one of their fireballs. Some shadow moves & special moves are projectile invincible. Also, if you're fancy you can cr.mk as Jago to lower your hitbox, it's even a dojo trial, but I think it only works on the heavy fireball?

Windkicks, you can neutral/backwards jump and land into a combo if spacing is right.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No, I'm talking about the delayed hail. Counter breakers from a distance is an issue with counter breakers in general, no? At some point, these animations will become incredibly obvious to break so manuals and counter breakers will be very important. As far as I know, Glacius cannot do a manual with his long range combos.

Also, I would certainly hope a zoning character would have an advantage at range. I don't know about "owns," but what I've seen so far, even from people who've played this game for a bit, dudes just like throwing away meter or want to RTSD all day. I'd really like to see how Street Fighter players handle his zoning in the next six months before jumping the gun on what's broken or not.

I think you may gave confused it with a combo breaker. Glacius has risk free counters where if he attempts to catch the break, his combo is dropped but there's no risk of being hit unlike what everyone else deals with, a recovery animation right in your face.

But I also agree on not really wanting anything to change this early in the game though glacius does feel like an early leader.

Who do you play as? Gonna determine a lot of your options. Generally though:

Fireball spammers, slowly close in on them by moving forward and blocking. When close enough, try jumping in on them trying to read one of their fireballs. Some shadow moves & special moves are projectile invincible. Also, if you're fancy you can cr.mk as Jago to lower your hitbox, it's even a dojo trial, but I think it only works on the heavy fireball?

Windkicks, you can neutral/backwards jump and land into a combo if spacing is right.

Generally I play as Saberwulf. Most of the time I try to do the run and low sweep to avoid the fireballs but it leaves me to open to wind kick. I'll work on jumping over them and see if I can combo into it. Shadow counters would work also right? On the last hit of the wind kick?

def sim

I think you may gave confused it with a combo breaker. Glacius has risk free counters where if he attempts to catch the break, his combo is dropped but there's no risk of being hit unlike what everyone else deals with, a recovery animation right in your face.

But I also agree on not really wanting anything to change this early in the game though glacius does feel like an early leader.

Nah that's exactly what I'm referring to. He doesn't get punished directly, but he does have enough recovery for the opponent to close in. Getting close to a zoning character is the goal, after all.

I do agree he's one of the best. I feel it's probably between Sabrewulf or Glacius at this point with Thunder and Jago being the most honest.

blayne IV

Just got my Ultimate edition in the mail and on the back it says there should be two pins included but I don't see anything. I ordered directly from the MS store online.

Any one have any ideas?

I searched the whole envelop that came in and can't see where there would be hiding inside of the "case".

Just got my Ultimate edition in the mail and on the back it says there should be two pins included but I don't see anything. I ordered directly from the MS store online.

Any one have any ideas?

I searched the whole envelop that came in and can't see where there would be hiding inside of the "case".

they would be in the envelope, contact support.

FinKL

Generally I play as Saberwulf. Most of the time I try to do the run and low sweep to avoid the fireballs but it leaves me to open to wind kick. I'll work on jumping over them and see if I can combo into it. Shadow counters would work also right? On the last hit of the wind kick?

If it's a shadow wind kick, yes shadow counters will work. Will want to use it right after you count the 4th blocked hit

Spacing & timing is key to counter their fireballs. You want to be a little further than Jago sweep distance (if I remember correctly maybe even closer?), otherwise he'll have time to block slide or windkick (which crushes lows)

Another option is using shadow lunge as it's projectile invincible & faster so you can be further away and still react.

Sadly I think I'm going to have to hold off on the KI stick. =(

Last month was already a pretty expensive one getting both the PS4 and XB1 with about 3 games each. Hopefully they're still available in the future but if not then I'll just have to wait for a stick to dual-mod.

If it's a shadow wind kick, yes shadow counters will work. Will want to use it right after you count the 4th blocked hit

Spacing & timing is key to counter their fireballs. You want to be a little further than Jago sweep distance (if I remember correctly maybe even closer?), otherwise he'll have time to block slide or windkick (which crushes lows)

Another option is using shadow lunge as it's projectile invincible & faster so you can be further away and still react.

Thanks. I actually didn't know shadow lunge had invulnerability so that will help quite a bit. I guess the problem I'm having is I back up too much and end up being punished for low sweep. I'll try to keep the pressure on and work on my jumps and shadow lunge.

Thank you for all the advice. Very helpful.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sabrewulf can slide under the Ice Lance as well, it doesn't make it a good strategy. It's not like Thunder can react to an Ice Lance with a Sammamish, and if he just tosses it out there, it's a big risk.

Kinda depends on where. At the range where most Glacius' do Lance or Hail, thunder can HP Samma' right through either, and thereby close the gap and get into his danger-range. If he blocks, of course it's bad for thunder, but the ability to delay skyfall helps loads here, and gets them twitchy, where they start to hit him out of the air (thus just a juggle) rather than waiting for him to land, and then get advantage.

Shadow Triplax only has one hit of armor, so if Thunder uses it to go through Hail, the Glacius player only needs to stick out a limb to interrupt and start a combo. Even if he doesn't, that requires meter. None of Glacius' zoning tools require meter.

-nod- Aye, but Thunder lands pretty good meter from all the Ankle Slicer enders you'll want to use in this matchup. Using shadow on reaction to a close range hail is more of what I'm speaking of... From almost half screen, Thunder can HP Samma' to punish a hail summon. He's much more threatening than the normal grappler that has maybe a sweep and 1 special which invincibility would probably wear off (thus getting hit by a projectile like hail) before allowing some capitalization.

After a knock down he is free to cross-ups. That's the only weakness he has at the moment (which is remedied by meter), but it's not something Sabrewulf can take advantage of since he has no aerial cross-ups by design.

Anyway you put it, Thunder has to work harder and take more risks to get in than Glacius does to keep him out.

What does Glacius do to on-wakup Call of Earth threat? Slow jump so he get's Sammamished? He can't backdash out of the throw, and puddle punch gives invul, but if blocked / jumped over, he's open.

As a Thunder player with less Saber experience, I feel a bit worse for the wulf than I do for the Chief when it comes to Glacius matchups. It's surely an annoying matchup, but I've personally had more issue with the Sadira Matchup, since she totally avoids CotE's usability almost 100% of the time with her general movement.

[quoteIt would need to be a pretty long delay. Against any other character I have time to hit cr.MP into an Opener on-reaction. Against Glacius I'd need to dash forward from full-screen, wait for my dash recovery to end, then have time to hit cr.MP.[/quote]

Maybe just enough time to get in, land some damage (maybe not a full combo), and then get that all-valuable knockdown. Though I wonder if they should remove his ability to full-screen counter breaker? There's a lot of other weird stuff with him already (Like not even being able to do moves like puddle punch if you're not in range for it to work as a linker during combo, it just eats the input, or his full lack of a dash, lack of any rapid-fire self-chaining weak normals, etc), so it wouldn't be too unusual to add one more item to his "too good" pile.

I don't know if that would make things fair. The other characters are pretty well balanced IMO. I think Orchid needs a buff and Thunder might need a very slight buff, but the other characters are fine. I'm expecting Spinal to be broken though.

I have issues with Sadira, but that's just because she's in the air all the time and difficult to combo/lock down. Not sure there's anything that can be done about that without completely reworking the character.

Jago frustrates me a bit more because he can work people ranges better than THEY can half the time; So much safety and traps, and punishment normally only by meter, where most character would just be punishable due to a lack of safety. His HP and HL are also both great anti-airs, that are very hard to even TRADE with. Not to mention being able to instinct-cancel killing combos at the end of Round 1 into Instinct for While-they-can't-break health regen in between rounds. I like the fact he can do that in a way, but that's crazy powerful at keeping him in that first green bar, if he gets a lead.

No, it's non-cancelable on block.

As I thought, but I swear at times I've blocked it, started the basic "punish the opening" stuff, and gotten hit by a cancelled move before I could do anything. I've only fought a few of her online (though I have dabbled with her as a 2nd or 3rd), but I'm surprised at how safe she seems at times. I didn't expect her to be able to cancel the kick-off of an HP air fireball into dives and normals, for example.

The main reasons I need a stick are because I need 6 face buttons, and the buttons are all too sensitive. Even if we don't talk about the heavy Linker issue, I hit the triggers all the time on accident. It's super frustrating and has lost me plenty of matches.

Maybe configure to turn triggers off, and just use bumpers? Not a full solution, but might help for a bit.

Hmm, His close normal all seem a level below others, and have very specific ranges / areas of effect, plus slower start-up. I always feel like I have an advantage at what I use, even with Thunder's less-rushdown-like stuff. I feel like his weak character-space-away footsies are a trade-off of his fantastic distanced abilities.

I wouldn't mind seeing held-Hail shatter if he gets hit, though. There's very few games that let an offensive option attack an opponent after they're hit.

Top Bottom