• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

kodecraft

Thanks. I actually didn't know shadow lunge had invulnerability so that will help quite a bit. I guess the problem I'm having is I back up too much and end up being punished for low sweep. I'll try to keep the pressure on and work on my jumps and shadow lunge.

Thank you for all the advice. Very helpful.

Yep, when you play as the Wulf/Dog you should stay on your opponent at all times. Wulf isn't a distance character so you shouldn't stay away, Wulf is a rabid animal so you should play like one.

Mariner

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I've been having a pretty major problem since the update. Anytime I pick Sadira, the game crashes right before the characters load for the fight. Anyone else experience this?

I figure redownloading the game is the logical fix but I don't want to lose all my unlocks.

Calibus

Some of the videos I have been watching had the opponent DCing as they had lost the match and were getting hit with a massive Ultra. To me, half the fun of the game is seeing the crazy combo chains, even if you are on the receiving end.

remz

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I've been having a pretty major problem since the update. Anytime I pick Sadira, the game crashes right before the characters load for the fight. Anyone else experience this?

I figure redownloading the game is the logical fix but I don't want to lose all my unlocks.

Probably players "de-syncing" (aka: rage quitting ahahah)

I wish :) but this happens offline too. Also, just realized I can't redownload the game due to how the X1 works. Not really sure what to do...

Should be able to. Go to My Games & Apps, press menu on Killer Instinct and you should have the option to uninstall. Then just find it again on the store and redownload.

sangreal

Should be able to. Go to My Games & Apps, press menu on Killer Instinct and you should have the option to uninstall. Then just find it again on the store and redownload.

you don't need to find it on the store again, it will show up on the far right of My Games & Apps with an option to reinstall

it will be greyed out with a cloud icon to indicate its purchased but not installed

DH better not do any nerfs until a year has passed and they release all the characters. A lot of you guys need to think of ways to counter the problem then get rid of it.So what if you have to work harder. There are pros and cons to everything. Besides there is no such thing as a truly balanced fighter.

Let the e game mature first. There is nothing game breaking with any of the characters so let's go in the lab and see what we can do.

Nuklear

Banned
DH better not do any nerfs until a year has passed and they release all the characters. A lot of you guys need to think of ways to counter the problem then get rid of it.So what if you have to work harder. There are pros and cons to everything. Besides there is no such thing as a truly balanced fighter.

Let the e game mature first. There is nothing game breaking with any of the characters so let's go in the lab and see what we can do.

Yup, I agree. It WAY too early for nerfs to start.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Max posted a video showing the how the classic music shows up when the characters are idle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vwOUldtSDU
Soooooooooo damn good.

Edit: Just saw AcidGlow put a similar video. Man these remixed themes are so good it kinda makes me want an option to just use them as the regular music, who knows maybe theyll patch that in.

Naked Lunch

So unlocking the old stage music allows you to hear it in training mode and it puts a transparent image of the old background on the training stage's back wall. This background NEEDS to find its way into online matches!

so are there any plans to put the original killer instinct for purchase on xbox one? kinda bummed its only for the $40 version, i am cheap and got $20 version :p

Microsoft is missing extra money from me, i would pay $10-15 for it, i need dat DJ Combo and Cinder B^)

malfcn

Okay WTF do my trades in the air never do crap. Two Jago's jump in the air, and I always lose. My first loses to his kick, and my same kick or move always loses. It's frustrating in a major way.

Chozoman

Banned
The music is so good, all around! Does anyone know if there is a place to download the character select music, would love to have it as my ringtone. I don't own an XboxOne, and can't seem to find it anywhere online, (outside of the teaser that was released months ago).

Back to listening!

dankir

Goddamn they need to fix the inviting friends to a private exhibition match. Took me 20 minutes to get my friend into the lobby. And I'm not even sure what we did differently to get it to work.

And you can't view recent players you've played against??? Why would they take out features that already existed on the 360??

Silky

Banned
Okay WTF do my trades in the air never do crap. Two Jago's jump in the air, and I always lose. My first loses to his kick, and my same kick or move always loses. It's frustrating in a major way.

Tiger Fury. It's an Anti air for a reason dood

Phreaker

For those who have the game, is there any way to get an idea of how this game is doing sales-wise based on the number of people who are playing online?

Hoping for it to do well.

I think it must be, in the store last night it was listed as the top selling game.

LTTP and don't know if it has already been mentioned, but is KI Classic out yet? Haven't seen any screens from it yet.

Yeah, it comes with the $40 edition. It's listed in My Games and Apps as Killer Instinct Classic.

bumpkin

When is the soundtrack out because I want it
You and me both, man. I wonder why there's such a big hold-up. As much as I'd love a physical disc and case, I'd also accept it being delivered via iTunes, Amazon Music or anything else of that ilk. I just want it in my music collection.

DrDogg

No, I'm talking about the delayed hail. Counter breakers from a distance is an issue with counter breakers in general, no? At some point, these animations will become incredibly obvious to break so manuals and counter breakers will be very important. As far as I know, Glacius cannot do a manual with his long range combos.

Also, I would certainly hope a zoning character would have an advantage at range. I don't know about "owns," but what I've seen so far, even from people who've played this game for a bit, dudes just like throwing away meter or want to RTSD all day. I'd really like to see how Street Fighter players handle his zoning in the next six months before jumping the gun on what's broken or not.

The only character who can do a Counter Breaker from a distance is Glacius, so the issue is reserved to him and him alone. Also, Ice Lance is a long-range Manual for Glacius.

I get that he should own at range, but it's too easy for him to get you back out to range once you get in. That's my issue. I fight and fight and fight to get in, then one throw, Combo Breaker, or well-timed Puddle Punch and I'm right back out.

Generally I play as Saberwulf. Most of the time I try to do the run and low sweep to avoid the fireballs but it leaves me to open to wind kick. I'll work on jumping over them and see if I can combo into it. Shadow counters would work also right? On the last hit of the wind kick?

The low sweep goes through the Wind Kick as well if you time it properly. You need to just move in, then start the Run and wait to execute the slide until you see Jago twitch. If he doesn't twitch, use the Running Uppercut.

Maybe I'll upload some of my Jago matches. I do not fear Jago at all when playing as Sabrewulf.

Nah that's exactly what I'm referring to. He doesn't get punished directly, but he does have enough recovery for the opponent to close in. Getting close to a zoning character is the goal, after all.

I do agree he's one of the best. I feel it's probably between Sabrewulf or Glacius at this point with Thunder and Jago being the most honest.

Not really. At full screen you can't move in much. The recovery on a missed Counter Breaker can't be more than 7-10 frames. That's not much time at all.

-nod- Aye, but Thunder lands pretty good meter from all the Ankle Slicer enders you'll want to use in this matchup.

When I play Thunder, I do the battery Ender almost exclusively. There's no reason not to unless you have full meter... in which case you should be using meter in the combo. There are exceptions, especially if you want a corner combo, but I tend to want Instinct to be active when I do the wall splat Ender.

What does Glacius do to on-wakup Call of Earth threat? Slow jump so he get's Sammamished? He can't backdash out of the throw, and puddle punch gives invul, but if blocked / jumped over, he's open.

Attack. Normal CotE can be interrupted pretty easily in almost any situation.

Maybe just enough time to get in, land some damage (maybe not a full combo), and then get that all-valuable knockdown. Though I wonder if they should remove his ability to full-screen counter breaker? There's a lot of other weird stuff with him already (Like not even being able to do moves like puddle punch if you're not in range for it to work as a linker during combo, it just eats the input, or his full lack of a dash, lack of any rapid-fire self-chaining weak normals, etc), so it wouldn't be too unusual to add one more item to his "too good" pile.

If I have time to land a single hit, I have time to start a combo.

Also, Glacius doesn't have quite the variety of chaining normals at close range, but he still has some. He can frame trap just like most (all?) of the other characters.

As I thought, but I swear at times I've blocked it, started the basic "punish the opening" stuff, and gotten hit by a cancelled move before I could do anything. I've only fought a few of her online (though I have dabbled with her as a 2nd or 3rd), but I'm surprised at how safe she seems at times. I didn't expect her to be able to cancel the kick-off of an HP air fireball into dives and normals, for example.

The HP are fireball is very risky to use. If the opponent has meter it's an easy Shadow Counter. If not, after the kick off you can generally anti-air before she has a chance to attack. At worst, I've traded with the dive kick, but that was more because I was late (yay controller issues) than anything else.

Maybe configure to turn triggers off, and just use bumpers? Not a full solution, but might help for a bit.

I need all 8 buttons since I use the x3 buttons for Shadows/Ultra. On a stick this wouldn't be a issue, but on a pad I don't have much of a choice.

Hmm, His close normal all seem a level below others, and have very specific ranges / areas of effect, plus slower start-up. I always feel like I have an advantage at what I use, even with Thunder's less-rushdown-like stuff. I feel like his weak character-space-away footsies are a trade-off of his fantastic distanced abilities.

His normals are the same speed as everyone else. The fastest is i4, the slowest is i11.

Yep, when you play as the Wulf/Dog you should stay on your opponent at all times. Wulf isn't a distance character so you shouldn't stay away, Wulf is a rabid animal so you should play like one.

I disagree. You need to space against Jago, Sadira, Thunder, Sabrewulf and Orchid. If you're constantly in their face you're taking more risks than you need to. I find giving them some room they tend to make errors giving me easy punishes. After a knockdown, I go off until I feel the need to give them room again.

Your saves are stored in the cloud. You won't lose anything.

A year is far too long. It doesn't take a year to develop a solid metagame. If need be, there should be a balancing patch around Evo. Before Evo is it's bad, after Evo if it's minor stuff.

Also, the full-screen, risk-free Counter Breakers are game-breaking.

Can we turn off the RS?

No... :(

fin

Just checked future shop and looks like my local store just got the arcade stick. Reserved online for store pick up. Canadians, check ur local Ffs and bb!

Also need some KI friends add me please, Finjitzu.

derFeef

I guess if I can't make it to level 10 survival with Orchid (beginner) I should stop playing her.
If you guys want to train/learn with me add daFeef

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Just checked future shop and looks like my local store just got the arcade stick. Reserved online for store pick up. Canadians, check ur local Ffs and bb!

This pisses me off because i still have an outstanding order and it says back order... still. (future shop)

Enordash

I'll add you. I need someone to do some Exhibition training with. I want to learn a new character but I'm not sure which yet.

bumpkin

I guess if I can't make it to level 10 survival with Orchid (beginner) I should stop playing her.
If you guys want to train/learn with me add daFeef
I used to main Orchid in KI and KI2, and I've actually found that I have trouble stringing together combos with her. The timing on Flick-Flack just feels off. I'm not saying it's wrong, just saying it's not clicking for me.

derFeef

I used to main Orchid in KI and KI2, and I've actually found that I have trouble stringing together combos with her. The timing on Flick-Flack just feels off. I'm not saying it's wrong, just saying it's not clicking for me.

Yeah the combos and randomly for me, which is frustrating. Not to mention that I always mix up her specials somehow, always try QCB punch... dunno why.

Kalm

I just came here to post this.

I preordered from Futureshop the first day it was available and they still haven't shipped it.

Walked into Best Buy today and they had 15 sticks just sitting there. Apparently they got them last Thursday.

Loving it so far but holy sh*t, the art is super awful. It looks like it was printed on the last legs of an ink cartridge or something. I also had to remove the plexi and smooth it out to get rid of some bubbles. Has anyone made a template yet?

Durock

After almost 8 weeks of waiting, my fightstick finally shipped today! Can't wait for it to get here! Question though... The tracking number they gave says it can't be found. Is that normal for a just shipped item? Idk if it takes time to process in the system.

blayne IV

they would be in the envelope, contact support.

UGH! What a pain in the ass this has been to try and get my missing Pins!

Contact MS Store service -> they think I'm talking about the digital code (I don't realize this) -> get transferred to XBOX service and they can't help - Total Call time around 40 minutes

Contact MS Store service -> wait 2 hours for call back -> they don't have a reference of earlier call -> try to explain situation again -> keep getting asked if I want to buy the item again then told repeatedly that the Ultimate edition is sold out and that's why I didn't get the pins -> eventually told they can't help me and I have to await an email from the escalation department to try and help me -> Total Call time around 45 minutes

If anyone has any other insight who to contact outside of the MS Store number or Xbox support it please let me know. Hopefully they actually send me the damn email.

/RANT

Outside of that LOVE THE GAME!

Was lucky enough to walk into Gamestop asking when they would have more Xbox and a shipment just arrived!

Then get home and my Ultimate Pin edition is waiting for ( minus the PINS!!)

Spent about 3 hours playing last night, only got through the first 10 trials since I spent lots of time just trying out different combos instead of doing what the lesson was teaching.

For linkers I notice that I actually have to work to only tap the button and NOT pull off a heavy linker each time. Maybe that will be better when my stick arrives.
I was getting better at the end and was using mostly light autos so maybe linkers are easier off of the slower autos

Overall using the Dpad has been fine, I only miss a QCF every once in a while, but only from the left side, probably just my thumbs.

Can't wait to get home and play some more tonight!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
After almost 8 weeks of waiting, my fightstick finally shipped today! Can't wait for it to get here! Question though... The tracking number they gave says it can't be found. Is that normal for a just shipped item? Idk if it takes time to process in the system.

Yes, its normal.

Also... "shipped" for a lot of retailers tends to mean "we created a label!"

Top Bottom