• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Rizsparky

Played some ranked matches late last night with Thunder and yikes, it was pretty rough. Won maybe 25% of my matches.

As a fairly proficient street fighter player I find the timing for countering blocked moves hard to get used to. I found even sloppy, aggressive opponents hard to punish.Then again, I'm a stick player and playing with the controller leaves A LOT to be desired.

Yeah, once I learnt on a stick it was pretty hard to alternate with the controller. Especially with the crappy Xbone dpad..

bumpkin

Yeah, once I learnt on a stick it was pretty hard to alternate with the controller. Especially with the crappy Xbone dpad..
I was a controller player for a long time (since the SNES days of SFII), but I made the switch to a stick when I got into playing SFIV on the 360. I'd say that I'm more or less at the point execution-wise that I was with a controller now. The main problem I have is I hardly ever use dashes. There's just something about the amount of play between pushing the stick and the "click" to register the taps that never felt quite right for me. I have the same problem with using dashes on the XB1 controller's analog stick.

And yeah, I know the d-pad on the XB1 controller is better than the 360's, but I still think it sucks ass for diagonals (like QCF movements). That's why I've stuck to the using the analog.

mdsfx

...And yeah, I know the d-pad on the XB1 controller is better than the 360's, but I still think it sucks ass for diagonals (like QCF movements). That's why I've stuck to the using the analog.

QFT

"Click, click, click, click, click!" That D-Pad completely disappoints unless you are simply pressing a single direction.

Timu

Played some ranked matches late last night with Thunder and yikes, it was pretty rough. Won maybe 25% of my matches.
I can't use Thunder much at all so I can't imagine going online with him.

Sucks because I won't be able to get all his costumes and accessories since I have to win a lot of ranked matches(like 50 for one of them).

bs000

And yeah, I know the d-pad on the XB1 controller is better than the 360's, but I still think it sucks ass for diagonals (like QCF movements). That's why I've stuck to the using the analog.

I grinded my 360 controllers analog into a fine dust from playing Street Fighter. I've been avoiding using the analog on the One cause I don't know how durable it is yet.

derFeef

So I was pushed into the right corner on Sadira's stage for almost a whole match and could not get out of it. Good thing tho I noticed something new - the wrapped up guy on the ceiling is still alive and screaming inside his spider web cocoon. Kinda creepy.

DrDogg

Is it true the early standout characters are Sadira and Glacius right now? Been getting a lot of reports on this game and thought Im not going X1 Im keeping tabs on this fighter because its system mechanics are really unique and I want to keep a tight watch on how things develop in its meta under such a system and why.

Glacius and Sadira are the characters people are having the most problems defending against, followed by Sabrewulf.

I'd love to see Glacius get a very small nerf, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon, if at all. I complained about him at Evo and he only got buffed. lol

I think the best solution for glacius if he is too good is just slow his meter gain because that's his bread and butter

Glacius without meter is just as much of a pain to get in on as Glacius with meter. His options at close range don't really matter because they're the same as any other character. The only difference is that you're right back out to full screen if Glacius lands a hit at close range. :(

Honestly, tone down throws and I probably wouldn't complain as much about the Glacius match-up. I don't know of any other game in which throws "feel" like they have invincibility frames.

As a fairly proficient street fighter player I find the timing for countering blocked moves hard to get used to. I found even sloppy, aggressive opponents hard to punish.Then again, I'm a stick player and playing with the controller leaves A LOT to be desired.

What are you trying to punish? A lot of the attacks in KI are either safe via frame data, or due to push back. I've had minimal problems punishing unsafe attacks online, unless it's a coast-to-coast connection. I find there's roughly 2-3 frames of lag when playing east coast players.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
^^^ well glacius did lose his dash after evo

as sad as a dash it was

I've found his shoulder charge as a decent supplement for that atleast.

Also as dumb as it seems I have a hell of a time fighting Sadira's who just jump back constantly. Need to shadow counter the obvious web pull in more, I keep forgetting to use those.

blayne IV

I swear I just have the "demo" even though I purchased the Pin Ultimate edition.

- all characters except Jago are locked
- can't find my Killer Instinct classic

Can someone just confirm for me that I should not have all my characters locked and don't have to perform any unlock actions in-game?

Thanks

Chairhome

I swear I just have the "demo" even though I purchased the Pin Ultimate edition.

- all characters except Jago are locked
- can't find my Killer Instinct classic

Can someone just confirm for me that I should not have all my characters locked and don't have to perform any unlock actions in-game?

Thanks

Killer Instinct Classic should be a separate game accessed from Home. All characters should be unlocked. Did you redeem a code that the box came with? Or is there a disc?

blayne IV

Killer Instinct Classic should be a separate game accessed from Home. All characters should be unlocked. Did you redeem a code that the box came with? Or is there a disc?

Yeah the classic version is not there, tried rebooting etc.

No disc in the PIN edition just a code. I was missing my physical Pins too, which no one as Microsoft seems to be able to help we with, so I'm wondering if I got bum code.

.la1n

No disc in the PIN edition just a code. I was missing my physical Pins too, which no one as Microsoft seems to be able to help we with, so I'm wondering if I got bum code.

Sounds like it, almost as if someone opened the box took your pins and wrote down the code so it had already been redeemed. You should have all characters unlocked + KI classic with the Pinultimate edition.

Chairhome

What did it say when you redeemed the code?

blayne IV

What did it say when you redeemed the code?

I'm pretty sure it said Pin Ultimate edition. The Pin booklet was still plastic wrapped and the code was in there. The pins were supposedly just in the envelop with the booklet.

If I "check all the add-ons" for this game I see Pin Ultimate Edition which is says I have installed. It's only like 8MB vs the standard game. I even tried installing the characters separately from the store. Same deal, says their installed.

Called support and they just say "yeah we see you bought it, try uninstall and re-install since we were having server issues"

Will try again when I get home but its just frustrating, support has not been very helpful at all.

I just wanted to make sure I was not doing something stupid or missing something obvious.

Thanks for the info. If I figure anything out I'll post up in case anyone has similar issues.

blayne IV

My stick is still listed as:

"Delivery estimate We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. "

Been that way way for a while, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

So far though I feel like I'm getting by with the controller ok. QCF I still miss to the left direction some time. Still WANT MY STICK!

I'm a bit more worried that I'm playing on a TV with a decent input lag and am learning the wrong timings. Stuck playing in the basement TV and its a cheap brand, think its LCD.
I haven't really noticed it yet but don't know any difference. Half tempted to bring out my old 32"" CRT just so I'm not awful when I get a better TV.

My stick is still listed as:

"Delivery estimate We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date. "

Been that way way for a while, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

So far though I feel like I'm getting by with the controller ok. QCF I still miss to the left direction some time. Still WANT MY STICK!

I'm a bit more worried that I'm playing on a TV with a decent input lag and am learning the wrong timings. Stuck playing in the basement TV and its a cheap brand, think its LCD.
I haven't really noticed it yet but don't know any difference. Half tempted to bring out my old 32"" CRT just so I'm not awful when I get a better TV.

Yeah mine says the same. This really sucks. I want the damn stick already.

derFeef

Well I love this game but I will never win against humans, TOP good fighting and thanks for the games but I am only wasting everyones times who is playing exhebition matches against me ;)

Think I might also cancel the stick preorder and let those have it who are good at fighting games. I will check out Spinal though, loved that crazy skeleton back then.

So I contacted Amazon and my joystick is guaranteed to be in my hands next Friday. Holy shit, so excited to go through dojo mode all over again and suck even more for a while!

LTWheels

Polygon's review is going to be interesting.

Aegies thinks the game is racist as there is a native indian using a tomahawk and a Thai woman wearing a harem... and SF is not racist as the graphics look more cartoonie.

Might as well have every character were a white t-shirt and jeans with the logo's blurred out.

Tenck

So I contacted Amazon and my joystick is guaranteed to be in my hands next Friday. Holy shit, so excited to go through dojo mode all over again and suck even more for a while!

Wait what? Mine still says this
5Cgrt.png

Aegies thinks the game is racist as there is a native indian using a tomahawk and a Thai woman wearing a harem... and SF is not racist as the graphics look more cartoonie.

Might as well have every character were a white t-shirt and jeans with the logo's blurred out.

LOL

I honestly couldn't tell if you were serious or not, but I just looked at his twitter. I guess you gotta get them clicks somehow!

def sim

Huh

Well ok then, I guess.

NaviLink

It's ridiculous. There has been stereotypes in most if not all fighting games ever made. It's almost part of the genre. It doesn't mean it's racist. I'm all for having less clichés in games but seeing something where it isn't is dumb.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm pretty sure it said Pin Ultimate edition. The Pin booklet was still plastic wrapped and the code was in there. The pins were supposedly just in the envelop with the booklet.

If I "check all the add-ons" for this game I see Pin Ultimate Edition which is says I have installed. It's only like 8MB vs the standard game. I even tried installing the characters separately from the store. Same deal, says their installed.

Called support and they just say "yeah we see you bought it, try uninstall and re-install since we were having server issues"

Will try again when I get home but its just frustrating, support has not been very helpful at all.

I just wanted to make sure I was not doing something stupid or missing something obvious.

Thanks for the info. If I figure anything out I'll post up in case anyone has similar issues.

This is a shot in the dark, but see if the game allows you to download the other editions on the KI store for free. If so, download them and see if everything unlocks and if you get the prompt to download KI classic.

I hate when the PC police cone out to find offensive shit in everything.

People will find anything to make it racist..

Silky

Banned

WHAT

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Funny enough these were the same thoughts I had when I got the Pin Edition. I now know I have everything I'm supposed to.

As others have said, the KI Classic is a whole separate game that you need to install. It is not a game or mode you'd select in the KI XBox One introductory screen.
Also all characters (6 of them) should be available to select in any versus mode. All of their accessories still need to be unlocked/earned, but you'll see them as locked.

When you go to DLC content related to this game, it should take you to a screen that shows you already have downloaded the Ultra Edition I believe. If you search for the KI Classic game on the store, does it show up and what does it say?

I want to hear more about this.

Does it show a shipping date for you? When did you order yours?

Mine just saying "shipping estimate not available." I ordered on 10-19-13.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
So I got my Pin Ultimate Edition in the mail today. It include FUCKING NOTHING. An envelope with a piece of blue cardboard that has two holes in it that says "Pinny Arcade Pin Trading" on it.

12 days late and you fucking send me this shit. God dammit.

Hah, wow. That's pretty ridiculous. I actually really liked Polygon in their early days but they are quickly going the route of Kotaku.

Oh well, people will always look for something to create controversy over. I feel like DH did an awesome job with both Thunder and Sadira. Hell, they did an awesome job with all the character designs.

shaowebb

Watched Maximillian's KI Sabrewulf mirror vs Justin Wong and so far its the best match I've actually seen for this game. Lots of footsies and I really dug the intensity of it.

Man I really want this game to grow into something special because I see a lot of potential in the breaker/ko meter system of combo management. If it works out it'll be a cool new direction folks can look at for inspiration on system mechanics in the future. Hearing some downer stories out of a few circles, but Max's match made me question that talk.

As always my jury is out till this has had a few months to grow since folks are telling me breakers are still tricky and resets are the plan for many. Hoping to see more good stuff soon. Link me to any intense sets you know of.

Top Bottom