• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

.la1n

Jago's classic looks great. It looks like they actually put some time into it. Orchid's costume looks like crap, and not because it's from an old game. It has zero detail on it, it looks like a character model that is missing textures.

If they were able to update Jago's classic look while still including modern techniques then there is no excuse for Orchid's classic to look as thrown together as it does. So far I feel like the additional money spent on Ultra has been a complete waste, accessories are mostly a joke (mohawk Orchid, terrible clipping ass mask for sabrewulf.)

Then you have the accessories for classic Orchid which I don't think I need to even go into how bad they look, just as thrown together as her core classic costume.

As I have said before, Double Helix nailed a really good fighting engine. It is just unfortunate it happened to come out of a team that seems to have equal parts good ideas as they do bad ones. End of the day, it's why I recommend the $20.00 version.

Nori Chan

There's a practice costume you can unlock? What? O_O

TRAINING MODE ICON UNLOCKED

*NOTE: If you have completed all the tasks required to unlock the costume, the TRAINING OCON will retroactively be unlocked.
pretty sure it's a typo

NavNucST3

Excellent touch being able to see the other persons Rank +/-

Just watched my son play (win) and he and the other person were both in a rank up match for "Trial Horse", it was pretty intense.

No more jumping Jagos every other fight? YAY!

EDIT: Though I hate that Sabrewulf has that charge that can start an overhead or low closer. I understand it's pretty slow, but what's the best way to counter it? Jumping attacks?

Silky

Banned
Jago's classic looks great. It looks like they actually put some time into it. Orchid's costume looks like crap, and not because it's from an old game. It has zero detail on it, it looks like a character model that is missing textures.

If they were able to update Jago's classic look while still including modern techniques then there is no excuse for Orchid's classic to look as thrown together as it does. So far I feel like the additional money spent on Ultra has been a complete waste, accessories are mostly a joke (mohawk Orchid, terrible clipping ass mask for sabrewulf.)

Then you have the accessories for classic Orchid which I don't think I need to even go into how bad they look, just as thrown together as her core classic costume.

As I have said before, Double Helix nailed a really good fighting engine. It is just unfortunate it happened to come out of a team that seems to have equal parts good ideas as they do bad ones. End of the day, it's why I recommend the $20.00 version.

All of that clothing/sword clipping through the clothes/skin is a huge put off, but it's whatever.

Can't wait to see Classic "LAME ASS KI1 AND NOT AWESOME KI2" Sabrewulf and "ICE NIPPLE" Glacius

.la1n

All of that clothing/sword clipping through the clothes/skin is a huge put off, but it's whatever.

Can't wait to see Classic "LAME ASS KI1 AND NOT AWESOME KI2" Sabrewulf and "ICE NIPPLE" Glacius

I know they want to get this content out but I would prefer they delay things or take a longer time to release them if it means in the end we get something more polished. I really didn't expect them to release Orchid's classic in the state it was in at the MicrosoftStudios stream...but behold.

hwalker84

isnt it the same character in all modes?

The Dojo is specifically built around Jago and stopping Jago. What I'm saying is it's weird that Dojo would still be Jago but you can only pick Saberwulf when you practice or play online. I figured Dojo mode would come for other characters as they rotate the free character.

malfcn

Not a big fan of the gloves on Jago (although seeing the stitching looks cool). I know they were being faithful, but if they were just shorter or colored right it may have looked better.

abracadaver

Damn the character loading times still suck.

Can someone explain me why they cant just load all the characters into the RAM at the same time ?

RyudBoy

Any word if they're gonna allow you to upgrade from Combo Breaker Edition to Ultra for $20? I swear I heard that was possible way before the game was released.

derFeef

Has anyone had weird stuff happening? I mean am no pro at this game but I am pretty sure you can't just interrupt a combo that is done to you just by doing an opener. I was playing as Thunder against an easy Orchid CPU. It kinda is reproducable - I need to hit the training mode and see what happens there.

sangreal

Fighting with corn cobs would be sick.

if I remember from the preview, it's supposed to be branding irons

some random screens I took of the new skins:
killer8.png

killer9.png

killer11.png

killer12.png

nillapuddin

Turned off and on multiple times, no patch or Sabrewulf access, whats going on here

edit: uninstalled/reinstalled game, still no dice.
man this is frustrating...

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Im glad we are finally getting some classic outfits..but..the rips in jagos outift look way too big and they need to do something graphically to make his hair look less goofy.

/nitpicking

T.O.P

Banned
Well just had a match with a level 21 Sadira

I won actually but the point is, how the fuck can he be so high lvl? D:

.la1n

Well just had a match with a level 21 Sadira

I won actually but the point is, how the fuck can he be so high lvl? D:

What is the title for level 21?

To answer the question, never underestimate how much someone with lots of free time can grind ranks ;)

That and they are just quitting out of any match with someone who has a high rank, I have seen that happen quite often.

Damn the character loading times still suck.

Can someone explain me why they cant just load all the characters into the RAM at the same time ?

Should of just given you a option for a character image to be a picture, so we dont have to waste 10secs, its horrible in the KI store.

Had 2 crashes like others, it boots me straight to home screen and KI restarts when reclick on image.

This game looks SOOOOO much better with crushed blacks. Also, I got a bat top, octagonal restrictor, and and 1mm oversize actuator for my joystick. MUCH better. It feels like an authentic American stick now. I tried a 2lb tension spring but it was just too much resistance. I'm sticking with the default spring for now. Anyone know if there is a spring that is somewhere in the middle?

But yeah, after the mods I'm missing moves much less. I just couldn't handle the square restrictor and so much damn throw.

T.O.P

Banned
What is the title for level 21?

To answer the question, never underestimate how much someone with lots of free time can grind ranks ;)

That and they are just quitting out of any match with someone who has a high rank, I have seen that happen quite often.

1495504_10202801585104651_1837996822_n.jpg

Dude was pretty good so i'm thinking he might be legit, at least he didn't ragequit, last night was awful

Turned off and on multiple times, no patch or Sabrewulf access, whats going on here

Hard-reset I'm assuming? Maybe unplugging and plugging back in? Just guessing though, I have no idea what would cause it :/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Personally, I'm decently impressed with how different the costumes look in person, and I don't mind how plain Orchid's is... that's what we have gaudy accessories and different colors for! I'm glad to see she doesn't look like such an overly-shiny mess in game for me.

Jago's new scrawny body is pretty funny, he looks so tiny and insignificant compared to Normal / Shadow Jago.

Both models have some awkward elements with textures / hair, but it feels 100% like the awkwardness of 90s Rare / Mainframe Animations, so I actually welcome it. I'm totally up for some REBOOT / Beast Machines reference colors, lol.

I'm not regretting my Ultra edition at all, because I actually really like all the stuff we have to look forward to, for what turns out to be a pretty small price overall. Even if I don't love every bit, it's only part of the "upgrade" cost I paid, and I get to sit back and watch new content come to the game every few weeks.

Same here friend, is this a known/widespread issue?

Do you guys have the $20 or $40 edition? They did mention that ULTRA pack people would get "early access" to things, and considering the contents of this patch, maybe this is a first (rocky) roll-out of such a thing?

Durock

You all should check out this Killer Instinct Rap Review. It's actually really, really good!

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/a-killer-instinct-xbox-one-rap-review/

I ordered two of the KI Pin Ultimate Editions before they sold out again. Received both of them yesterday. Really love those things!

It seems like more and more people are starting to get their hands on the stick now. I'm hoping that's a good sign that production is starting to pick up. Anyone still have theirs pending shipping?

hwalker84

Got humbled at Magfest. I had been crushing everyone I faced for a few hours off and on. Then some dude sits down that placed second in the KI tournament the day before. He mains Saberwulf (one of my weaknesses). 3 solid matches but he beats me in all 3. Argh!!! Still got work to do.

.la1n

Which is who the hell knows.

Will be getting a copy from a friend instead of buying. Do what you want from a gaming business model but if you wanna tease a soundtrack for this long, you aren't getting my cash.

It's DH's M.O., they tease the hell out of things or hint that they are coming then never follow through. Like all the people sitting on the $20 version because they were lead to believe they would be able to upgrade to the $40 pack later for just the price difference (which now we know the $40 edition isn't worth it anyway.) What is worse is DH can't be assed to say anything about it outside of vague "stay tuned..." hints for three months now. Also I could be wrong but last I checked they still had not released Orchid as a standalone purchase. I thought the whole point of this game is you could choose to buy only the characters you want to use, kind of hard to do if you don't have them available.

sangreal

Also I could be wrong but last I checked they still had not released Orchid as a standalone purchase. I thought the whole point of this game is you could choose to buy only the characters you want to use, kind of hard to do if you don't have them available.

you're wrong

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, I don't think Thunder Lightning is suppose to sound this way!: http://sdrv.ms/19Ko9mx

I actually... kinda... like it...

BTW, am I the only person who expected 2nd costumes to not be ready for quite a time? The idea of making 6 ~ 8 Alt character models for instant use, with a game that wasn't releasing with all it's characters on Day 1 just seemed... crazy, and like a poor management of resources.

It makes much more sense from a business standpoint to use these things as a constant tease over the weeks / months, in order to keep KI constantly in the "new DLC releases" and "new update!" portion of the online marketplace.

It's DH's M.O., they tease the hell out of things or hint that they are coming then never follow through.

This feels much more Microsoft, and much less DH in general. Amplified by the fact that next gen online marketplaces on XB1 (and probably PS4 to a degree, too) seems to have come to a standstill for the past few weeks, minus a few releases.

Like all the people sitting on the $20 version because they were lead to believe they would be able to upgrade to the $40 pack later for just the price difference (which now we know the $40 edition isn't worth it anyway.)

It's a pretty bad deal for them, too, the longer time goes, the less likely they are to convert people. This kind of thing is probably held up in bureaucracy anyway; more than seeing it as a KI issue, it just feels like a "Microsoft is still stubborn about online policies and ideals!" Issue, which is something I'm less happy with.

What is worse is DH can't be assed to say anything about it outside of vague "stay tuned..." hints for three months now. Also I could be wrong but last I checked they still had not released Orchid as a standalone purchase. I thought the whole point of this game is you could choose to buy only the characters you want to use, kind of hard to do if you don't have them available.

So is the cost of having hype fans working a job... that still ultimately is a JOB. It's a very clear window into why game announcements are generally spread out, held till the last minute, and never updated on a "per object" basis;

But really... isn't this exactly what we signed up for, since the very beginning? Seeing teases of characters and stuff in the streams, watching weekly build progress, getting an ULTRA pack that promised EARLY access to content, rather than getting everything only after it was all complete and "presentable"? It's WAY too early to make definitive claims of "Ultra edition wasn't worth it!" when we're in the first real month or 2 of what's something like an 8-month/year-length season-pass style deal.

And Orchid came out as a separate character release weeks ago. They highlight this in the community meld (something I'm enjoying seeing used, it's awesome to see things like fanart and tourney pics directly linked to from within the game app), and it's one of the few titles with DLC updating right now (alongside AssaCreed IV and Just Dance #4348).

The fact the game and system stuck itself right on the tails of a system-releases multi-holiday season really does make patience even harder to hold onto, though. Though this is quite possibly the least-painful new-system "drought" for me, overall; New Games have gotten DLC already, cross-gen games bring even more, new games have been released for download over the holidays (Right up onto Christmas Eve!), and there's been constant sales on even the brand-new retail games, which is pretty fast.

The idea that we *should* be getting Spinal + His stage & Music by months end really helps soften many annoyances with the game personally. This (and Legend of Raven / Yatagarasu AoC IGG stuff) are the only really fresh Fighting Game stuff one has to look forward to for the next few months (so far), and I'm ultimately thankful there's something!

Top Bottom