• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

.la1n

I do look forward to Spinal but that wait for Fulgore is going to be very painful, especially knowing it will be that long for story mode as well. I hope we see some options for searching in ranked games soon as well.

As for alt costumes I never would have thought they were going to be ready any time soon if it wasn't for DH making vague comments during every stream that they were hoping to have them on launch. We also don't know for sure if all the alts will be separate models, we know for sure Orchid's isn't.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I really won't mind the wait in between Spinal & 'gore if they actually keep improving the base game in between these times. Ranked and Lobby stuff, improving the record and 2-players on same console issues, maybe adding in some kind of extra random content (such as combo trials for a few characters, or adjustments to survival mode ladders), and then general balance / system stuff, and the wait becomes less annoying.

Orchid's Alt can probably be considered as much a unique model as Jago's in some ways; they're both obvious modifications of the base bodies, with some proportions / clothing / hair changed or removed. Not to mention accessories and texture sets each bringing their own unique changes.

I do wish they just flat-out said that the costumes were going to be an additional thing added over the course of Season 1, and then worked up a "long time to make = we're not rushing them!" angle. Maybe they changed from "Blank costumes with no colors & accessories!" angle at one point, to a "Full Costume with Colors and accessories, but one at a time!" viewpoint mid-way through development, or something.

I do hope some of the backlash helps them learn not only how to plan better, but also to do better at choosing what to promise when. KI Season 1 is not only a learning process for Double Helix, but also for console-based fighters going forward. Injustice, Skullgirls, and KI are hopefully laying the foundation for others very well.

.la1n

I don't like to cut developers slack, especially when my personal money is involved. I also don't want to give undue hate. I criticize because I actually care about the game. I don't follow games closely that I don't truly enjoy. Double Helix has done so many things right in this game and a lot of it is going to hopefully set a standard for other fighting games to follow in the coming years. They have also fallen victim to quite a few mistakes but yes it's a learning process and hopefully they manage expectations better in the future.

When it's all said and done they still managed to bring a new Killer Instinct to market and it turned out pretty damn good. Certainly better than anything the current Rare team could accomplish. Looking forward to finding out if we get a season 2 because there are a lot of characters still left I need to see brought into this engine.

derFeef

Keep it and mod it. So worth it.

You mean visual or functional mods? Not into this stick moding bussines yet ;)
If anything I am curious if it makes me any better at the game - I guess so since those QC moves are so tough on the dpad - and with the sticks I am jumping too much randomly.

I cannot for the life of me, reliably pull off Jago's ultra combo. I almost always end doing a shadow endokuken instead. I'm using the Xbox One Controller's D-pad. Maybe I should try it with the stick. Anyone else having troubles with this? I can get Orchid's and Glacius' down no problem, the quarter circles are no problem, it's just the tiger fury motion I have trouble with.

Timu

I cannot for the life of me, reliably pull off Jago's ultra combo. I almost always end doing a shadow endokuken instead. I'm using the Xbox One Controller's D-pad. Maybe I should try it with the stick. Anyone else having troubles with this?
Nope, I can do his Ultra Combo well.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
really wish rank was based on character selected and not by gamertag. i've mained jago since the game launched and am only now trying to learn someone else - orchid. but playing ranked with her is an absolute no no for me. i'll get wrecked at level 8.

also, any tips for orchid? all her moves seem to have really low priority.

.la1n

im a level 8.

why am I playing a level 18?

As far as I know ranked is random right now until we get an update later down the line that adds search options. I assume probably same update that adds lobbies. Last we heard they were pretty far along so maybe same time as Spinal?

Nori Chan

really wish rank was based on character selected and not by gamertag. i've mained jago since the game launched and am only now trying to learn someone else - orchid. but playing ranked with her is an absolute no no for me. i'll get wrecked at level 8.

also, any tips for orchid? all her moves seem to have really low priority.
Footsies baby

Kalm

I cannot for the life of me, reliably pull off Jago's ultra combo. I almost always end doing a shadow endokuken instead. I'm using the Xbox One Controller's D-pad. Maybe I should try it with the stick. Anyone else having troubles with this? I can get Orchid's and Glacius' down no problem, the quarter circles are no problem, it's just the tiger fury motion I have trouble with.

The reason you're getting Endokukens is that you're moving the stick too far at the end, clipping the pure Forward input and overriding the DP with a fireball.

I feel like I've said this 100 times here, but, USE THE SHORTCUT. It's there for a reason; specifically, to make DPs simple on a console stick.

Don't do a "Z". Just go: DownForward -> Flick 2mm towards pure Down -> Back to DownForward.

So double helix changed the free character but didn't make it so that you can use wulf in Dojo mode. Not smart at all.

Why?

The Dojo lessons are 99.9% universal. Hell, most of it is general knowledge that's not even specific to KI.

The last 00.1%, character specific stuff can be figured out using the Command List descriptions, frame data and/or a 5 minute practice session.

bumpkin

Which is who the hell knows.

Will be getting a copy from a friend instead of buying. Do what you want from a gaming business model but if you wanna tease a soundtrack for this long, you aren't getting my cash.
The last of season 1's eight characters, Fulgore, is out in March. Maybe we'll get something after that. I'd be cool with a "Killer Cuts: Season 1".

You mean visual or functional mods? Not into this stick moding bussines yet ;)
If anything I am curious if it makes me any better at the game - I guess so since those QC moves are so tough on the dpad - and with the sticks I am jumping too much randomly.

Visual and functional actually. The stick is great for customization, and I've enjoyed the game more so with the mods I discussed earlier. I feel like it's my own fault whenever I lose at this point. Before I was constantly wanting to throw the gamepad because of missed specials. I still accidentally do quarter circle instead of dragon punch patterns, though. This is probably where a square gate is better (using octagonal), but I think I just need to get better about being more accurate with the final diagonal in the pattern.

BTW, I'm glad to see more Sabrewulfs now. Was getting so tired of Jago (though I'm getting pretty good against him now).

Jago looks like he is wearing a strippers outfit.

Orchid looks good and way better than her default.

I love the classic costumes so far, but I still really like the new Orchid. Classic Orchid is awesome, but default Orchid has the badass striped stockings (gotta unlock 'em, though). :)

agentreza

Anyone here in the US aware of local stores selling the TE2? Gamestop is not doing it and i couldnt find it on the bestbuy/ walmart website to look it p :(

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Man I had two opportunities to rank up, but after winning the match I'm still the same rank. Anyone run into this?

.la1n

Man I had two opportunities to rank up, but after winning the match I'm still the same rank. Anyone run into this?

Have not ran into this. So at the beginning of the match it notifies you that it is a rank up match but upon winning you do not actually rank up?

Delt31

I've had that happen to me although it was the opposite (and better) way - I was expected to rank down after a loss but it never happened when I lost. Maybe the game felt bad for me since it pitted me against a player 3 levels up.

I've had that happen to me although it was the opposite (and better) way - I was expected to rank down after a loss but it never happened when I lost. Maybe the game felt bad for me since it pitted me against a player 3 levels up.

Maybe the game had crazy lag and you actually won on the other player's side. What if?

theytookourjobz

Sort of kind of getting the hang of very simple combos. Game is a ton of fun but I suck so bad at fighting games. Hopped online and first match I didn't even land a hit. Guy just combo'd me the entire fight lol. Not gonna do that again. :(

DD-11

How do you deal with pressure in this game? I'm trying out sadira now after playing a bunch of Glacius and neither character has much that can deal with pressure. Against a mashing wolf or Jago you've got to use meter, and even then you sometimes get prioritied out of a shadow with a regular.

It's a bit frustrating that a guy who isn't good at this game and just mashing combos with wolf can be this effective. I haven't really figured out why this strategy works better here than in SF, but it definitely is more viable.

remz

Sadira in general has pretty poor options on wakeup in my experience, but then again I'm not exactly a pro player at any stretch.

I think Vs Jago and particularly the Wulf as Sadira you need to be taking the initiative and pressuring them from the air, if they have you on the defensive you're in a pretty shitty position.

Hope this guy is not a gaffer but was having a good rank match against some dude named Cruz 775 and as soon as he hits Danger he rage quits… I'm Sadira and he's Jago.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...37&authkey=!AHzudB1HRtwdNp4&ithint=video,.mp4

After he rage quits, I send him a message.

Me: What's up with the rage quit? Stay out of rank matches if you're gonna pull that shit.
Him: I fucking hate when people do that it was my garbage ass internet acting besides you chop ass anyway cheap ass
Me: Haha, c'mon bro… I prefer my fries without salt.

bumpkin

Hope this guy is not a gaffer but was having a good rank match against some dude named Cruz 775 and as soon as he hits Danger he rage quits… I'm Sadira and he's Jago.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?res...37&authkey=!AHzudB1HRtwdNp4&ithint=video,.mp4

After he rage quits, I send him a message.

Me: What's up with the rage quit? Stay out of rank matches if you're gonna pull that shit.
Him: I fucking hate when people do that it was my garbage ass internet acting besides you chop ass anyway cheap ass
Me: Haha, c'mon bro… I prefer my fries without salt.
Yeah, they were a little bit of a poor sport, eh? It wasn't like you crushed him in one life bar. It actually looked like a pretty fair/even match for the most part.

.la1n

Unfortunate we won't get a stream this week as I was looking forward to watching since I had the day off. If they really do bring out some cool surprises next week though it will have all been worth it. Their equipment was in dire need of an upgrade as well, both video and audio. If Spinal will make it by the end of the month then there is probably a good chance we might get to see something. It would also be pretty neat to see at least one of the other character's classic costumes, preferably Glacius ;P

Marvel

could never
I hover between level 6 and 7 and I seem to play a lot of high levels too, I don't mind getting beaten like a government mule by 'em, I see it as a learning experience.

Now rewind 8 years and I'd be raging, lol.

.la1n

Apparently some of the development team has been playing online with Spinal. Hope that means he is coming sooner rather than later. Also hope that means someone might capture some footage or screen shots.

ShinAmano

So anyone recommend the Cronus Max? I want to get it to use fightpads for this game...just want an honet opinion if the $60 is well spent or if there is hope for xb1 fightpads.

.la1n

So anyone recommend the Cronus Max? I want to get it to use fightpads for this game...just want an honet opinion if the $60 is well spent or if there is hope for xb1 fightpads.

It works great, unless you are a tournament player (where the device is banned) I see absolutely no reason not to get one at that price. Probably the only solution in the near future (or ever) you will have to use a fightpad on xbone.

ShinAmano

It works great, unless you are a tournament player (where the device is banned) I see absolutely no reason not to get one at that price. Probably the only solution in the near future (or ever) you will have to use a fightpad on xbone.
Awesome...yeah don't care about tournaments at all. Thanks for the heads up.

Top Bottom