• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

So I'm pretty much brand new to this game.. I bought the PIN edition and i'm getting my ass handed to me trying to win 4 ranked matches in a row, I did a lot of the dojo stuff but, even when I finish something it doesn't really gel with me.. Anyone have any tips/advice for someone who is basically cold water to this series? I seem to end up facing people who are either so horrible I don't need to know anything or people so good I can't move -_-

I generally consider myself to be pretty awful at fighting games and I hadn't played a Killer Instinct game since I was like 7 year old. To be honest, the Dojo didn't really help me much. I spent most of my time in Practice and doing Versus/Survival against the easiest difficulty CPU. I think that helped me the most, learning how to put together combos myself and learning the basics.

Then I started doing Exhibition matches which seems to be where more lower skill opponents hang out at which was a nice gradual learning curve for me. In Exhibition people don't really take it as seriously so you don't have to deal with constant overheads and cross ups and things like that. It lets you learn more of the nuances without being horrible overwhelmed.

Once I felt comfortable in Exhibition I switched over to Ranked. Still a ton to learn but you can pick it up a lot easier just because you'll be better at the game by then. I struggled a lot at first and it took me a while to finally get up to rank 5 for the skins but the more you play the more it will click for you. You'll be reading opponents better and understand more of the metagame.

Probably one of the best tips I can give is learn to use counter breakers effectively. If you're facing someone that almost always tries to break your combo right as you start it then use a counter breaker with Y + B. It will give you free reign to tear them apart for about 5 seconds uninterrupted. Decent players will catch on to that though so it probably won't work for an extended amount of time but by then you'll have done a significant amount of damage.

Can't wait to see the colors too. I let a friend borrow my X1. Gonna main that keytar hell yeah.

*oh wait, his colors were already shown last week. Too bad he doesn't have something like Orchid's flag outfit that changes the look up.

DTJAAAAM

Man, I just hit 64 general fight titles and the achievement still hasn't popped for me. I've heard people say it can take a few more than 60 but I must be really unlucky. The crappy thing is that the next fight title for practice mode minutes is going to take another 25 hours. Just have to hope and pray that it unlocks after I manage get 70 more ranked wins. If that doesn't work I have no clue what the heck I'm gonna do.

Anyone else had issues like this with that achievement? I'm 5 achievements away from 1000ing this game and it's really going to suck if I can't get this one to pop.

I just unlocked all the achievements yesterday, that one being the last and most troublesome. I didn't get it until I had 66 General Fight Titles.

.la1n

Classic Jago accessories are actually pretty cool, good job Double Helix. That keysword is beautifully cheesy.

edit:

Voltron Jago

TgF3dvK.jpg

I generally consider myself to be pretty awful at fighting games and I hadn't played a Killer Instinct game since I was like 7 year old. To be honest, the Dojo didn't really help me much. I spent most of my time in Practice and doing Versus/Survival against the easiest difficulty CPU. I think that helped me the most, learning how to put together combos myself and learning the basics.

Then I started doing Exhibition matches which seems to be where more lower skill opponents hang out at which was a nice gradual learning curve for me. In Exhibition people don't really take it as seriously so you don't have to deal with constant overheads and cross ups and things like that. It lets you learn more of the nuances without being horrible overwhelmed.

Once I felt comfortable in Exhibition I switched over to Ranked. Still a ton to learn but you can pick it up a lot easier just because you'll be better at the game by then. I struggled a lot at first and it took me a while to finally get up to rank 5 for the skins but the more you play the more it will click for you. You'll be reading opponents better and understand more of the metagame.

Probably one of the best tips I can give is learn to use counter breakers effectively. If you're facing someone that almost always tries to break your combo right as you start it then use a counter breaker with Y + B. It will give you free reign to tear them apart for about 5 seconds uninterrupted. Decent players will catch on to that though so it probably won't work for an extended amount of time but by then you'll have done a significant amount of damage.

All great advice. Counter breakers are very useful once you get to Ranks 4 and 5. I think recovery from knockdowns is something worth focusing on as well. Don't get nervous and pay attention to what your opponent is doing each time you get knocked down otherwise frustration will set in.

So still no Sabre on my game?

Am I destined to be forever stuck with Jago?

you can pay 4.99 for another character if you'd like, lol.

Seriously though I thought they had already updated but it seems it's coming soon according to the patch notes:

***COMING SOON***

ROTATING FREE CHARACTER:

Sabrewulf will be the next free character rotated in to replace Jago.

So maybe when Spinal comes Jago will be replaced with sabrewulf?

goldenpp72

I just won the 4 ranked matches in a row by luck.. Has anyone gotten a confirmation email in regards to the pin for that? I did the registration and all that already but never got anything in the mail about it. Also, does anyone know what the prize is for getting 3 counter breakers in one match?

agentreza

it's beautiful, nice piece of hardware. Will test later.

Bdoxh3kCEAAqtTs.jpg:large

Glad that you got yours! :)

Make sure you check your LEDs; Mine came defective but madcatz is sending me a replacement LED board for fuhreeee :)). Have fun re-learning KI with the stick, i was having a hard time but now im slowlypicking it up. Ive ordered a seimitsu LS56 joystick that has the shortest "throw" to replace what it comes with since it has a huge dead zone and drove me nuts! Hit me up and maybe we can get some matches going :)

malfcn

Every challenge so far has unlocked for me regardless of what I do. It could be for a 25 game win streak and it would unlock after a single loss. Alot of the achievements and challenges don't log correctly.

derFeef

It won't work at all? Have you tried all the USB ports on the XB1 (I think there is more than one at least).

Yup... no dice, it's dead. Tried re-connecting everything inside as well. Also tried the connector end from my TE1 stick. Gues I will hit support.

This sucks a bit...

Just saw this on the DH forums, if you want the last set of accessories for the classic skins (that are not showing up for some reason)

Guys, if you want the 4th accessory set, it's invisible just like Jago's classic was at first.

Go to Customization
Select KI3 Jago
Select any color
Select any ultra (4th column) accessory.
Back out of KI3 Jago and select Classic Jago.
You'll now see names for the 4th set.
Once you navigate off the invisible tile you'll have to start over.

Same deal for Orchid's cowboy accessories.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yup... no dice, it's dead. Tried re-connecting everything inside as well. Also tried the connector end from my TE1 stick. Gues I will hit support.

This sucks a bit...
Damn now Im paranoid about mine, I got the TE2 a couple weeks ago but no xbone yet. Getting one next weekend, that would the ultimate buzzkill.

nillapuddin

you can pay 4.99 for another character if you'd like, lol.

Seriously though I thought they had already updated but it seems it's coming soon according to the patch notes:

So maybe when Spinal comes Jago will be replaced with sabrewulf?

ahhh, jeeze, why were we so convinced that it was the rotation patch last week?

malfcn

Not a good night for me. I was Hungry, and fell down a rank or two. Even when things are not going my way I keep going and don't know when to just quit. But weird things were happening like in the middle of combos, no breaker and they would grab me or in the middle of a combo a move would whiff. Don't know if it was some kind of lag, and because I kept the matches going I don't know where to look in the fight logs. Some of it felt wrong to me.

Kriaser

How do throws work in this game? I've already had a lot of people complaining that I throw too much, and I've played maybe 5 online ranked matches. Coming out of AE, tick throws and crouch teching are habits of mine that seem to result in things like throwing people as I'm waking up or what have you.

How do throws work in this game? I've already had a lot of people complaining that I throw too much, and I've played maybe 5 online ranked matches. Coming out of AE, tick throws and crouch teching are habits of mine that seem to result in things like throwing people as I'm waking up or what have you.

lol I hate throws, but they're pretty easy to counter (at least I think so)

Are they ever going to release the option to upgrade from the $20 version to the $40? I don't think I can wait much longer.

"Stay tuned" is pretty much all Double Helix has said on this. You might have luck if you contact XBL support, but who knows

Synth

Throw escapes being the same input as light combo breaker gets me killed so damn often! SF4 conditioned me to input it habitually when on the defensive. :(

Are they ever going to release the option to upgrade from the $20 version to the $40? I don't think I can wait much longer.

I read on the Double Helix forums that someone called up Xbox Support and was able to work it out where they bought the $40 version and then support would issue a $20 refund on the account which is supposed to appear in 3-5 days or something like that.

I haven't tried it and some people said that when they called that support wouldn't do it for them. I suppose if you really want the Ultra Edition it could be worth a try though.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looks nice w/o the mask. wish stuff like that and orchid's googles were accessories

Top Bottom