• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Jezehbell

No footage but lots of info at event hub.

Fulgore expected to be shown at the end of Spinal's trailer, which will drop some time next week.

163.gif

Sometimes being critical isn't so bad, I'm sure the DH read GAF and maybe that means they are taking some of this in. I can't always praise games I enjoy, got to bring out the bad too. Sometimes "well it could be worse" isn't a good enough reason for me to just accept when something is obviously handled poorly.

Oh I agree with you. Spinal's launch has been a total mess and I'm pretty sure Max mentioned in one of his videos that it's been over 90 days since we've seen him in a video. Ideally they should have told us "Spinal will be available on January (date here)" and released a trailer the week before with a stream talking about how he plays. If they ran into issues, just communicating that would have been fine too (at least with me). The biggest issue I think most of us have with this is the secrecy of it, and I hope that is fixed with Fulgore, lobbies, story mode, and future updates.

I only said "well it could be worse," because...it could have been worse lol. Halo 4, while not a fighting game, is probably the best example of this. There were huge balance issues, as well as HUGE features missing at launch and when the community constantly asked when the issues would be fixed they were told within a month...which ended up turning into 5-6 months (and there are still major issues that have not been addressed to this day). I hope Double Helix doesn't disappoint me like 343 did, but Spinal still isn't here and the only thing we know is we'll "see" him in action before the next stream. Still no concrete dates, so only time will tell I guess.

.la1n

Oh I remember what it was like dealing with 343, I would probably be a lot more excited for Halo 5 if not for that whole fiasco. A little communication goes a long way and that's all I would like to see from Double Helix going forward. Things get delayed, circumstances beyond control can arise and if you have a level of transparency with people they generally tend to be alright with it.

This whole system of dropping details here and there and letting the internet hype themselves into a frenzy is a worthless system. It usually only ends one way: disappointment followed by backlash. No firm dates to be given, no concrete information? Fine by me but don't drop little snippets of useless bait from your twitter to manipulate people interested in your game. People honestly would not have been so disappointed not getting to see Spinal by now had the developers not told everyone on Twitter weeks ago that they were playing a build with the character completed. Thanks?

As for the Microsoft stream. I wouldn't wait until the day of the stream, minutes before you go live to inform viewers that a character you've teased to hell and back the past three weeks isn't going to be shown. Try to be a little more professional than that. It's a bait and switch for viewers.

Oh I agree with you. Spinal's launch has been a total mess and I'm pretty sure Max mentioned in one of his videos that it's been over 90 days since we've seen him in a video. Ideally they should have told us "Spinal will be available on January (date here)" and released a trailer the week before with a stream talking about how he plays. If they ran into issues, just communicating that would have been fine too (at least with me). The biggest issue I think most of us have with this is the secrecy of it, and I hope that is fixed with Fulgore, lobbies, story mode, and future updates.

I only said "well it could be worse," because...it could have been worse lol. Halo 4, while not a fighting game, is probably the best example of this. There were huge balance issues, as well as HUGE features missing at launch and when the community constantly asked when the issues would be fixed they were told within a month...which ended up turning into 5-6 months (and there are still major issues that have not been addressed to this day). I hope Double Helix doesn't disappoint me like 343 did, but Spinal still isn't here and the only thing we know is we'll "see" him in action before the next stream. Still no concrete dates, so only time will tell I guess.

Oh I remember what it was like dealing with 343, I would probably be a lot more excited for Halo 5 if not for that whole fiasco. A little communication goes a long way and that's all I would like to see from Double Helix going forward. Things get delayed, circumstances beyond control can arise and if you have a level of transparency with people they generally tend to be alright with it.

This whole system of dropping details here and there and letting the internet hype themselves into a frenzy is a worthless system. It usually only ends one way: disappointment followed by backlash. No firm dates to be given, no concrete information? Fine by me but don't drop little snippets of useless bait from your twitter to manipulate people interested in your game. People honestly would not have been so disappointed not getting to see Spinal by now had the developers not told everyone on Twitter weeks ago that they were playing a build with the character completed. Thanks?

As for the Microsoft stream. I wouldn't wait until the day of the stream, minutes before you go live to inform viewers that a character you've teased to hell and back the past three weeks isn't going to be shown. Try to be a little more professional than that. It's a bait and switch for viewers.

100% agree. Communication is key and we've seen what that's done to 343's image.. DH was doing so well before the game came out, even though there were several hiccups like not letting people know about the upgrade model (is there even one yet?), but now it seems like they may be falling off and riding the wave instead of taking the initiative.

derFeef

Got my Ultra fan book, it's quite nice. Kinda ironic to see how far Spinal was there already model and design wise. Also can't wait for
the Kraken

Silky

Banned
Uh. Wtf.

I try a grab on wakeup and I get punished.
I DP on wake up and I get grabbed.

The shit is that.

you got read burh. Try this. If they're not in a grabbable position, try light DP on wakeup just to fake them out (Heavy DP has too much recovery time.)

Heavy wakeup attacks, unless you're Ken, have too much risk to it

DrDogg

Spinal sounds great! I'll have a full theory-fighter write-up for Monday or Tuesday. I guarantee people will be crying for nerfs, but it sounds like he has a bit of a learning curve so hopefully a lot of people will try him out, get frustrated with the learning curve and admit he's not OP (unlikely to happen).

So glad he's anti-Glacius/Sadira.

Not happy that they're changing up Tusk and Kim Wu though. They already shredded Glacius and Thunder (from the perspective of people who enjoyed their original play styles), now it sounds like they're doing the same with Tusk and Kim Wu. I understand changes have to be made and not every character can be rush down, but I've been struggling to find a character I like in this game as all of my old favorites don't play how I'd like them to play. Spinal will hopefully be the exception...

Uh. Wtf.

I try a grab on wakeup and I get punished.
I DP on wake up and I get grabbed.

The shit is that.

You don't have the advantage on wake-up. Unless you perform an attack with invincibility frames, it's easy to get stuffed. Your best options on wake-up (in most cases):

- Attack with invincibility
- Back dash
- Block

If you're doing anything else (a throw), you're taking a risk. In addition, not all DPs have invincibility frames. Even if you're using one that does, if you don't time it correctly on wake-up, you will still lose.

malfcn

I got mad because it was a mirror match and we did the same wakeup/grab and different results. Maybe it was frames. It's all good. I rage, but that is why makes me want to play more and get better.

game has been really glitchy for me tonight. character models are rainbow colored, sound glitches, jago's fireball not showing up...what is going on

Ishmae1

Insert disclaimer that my comments in no way should be taken as a commitment on these things --
Not happy that they're changing up Tusk and Kim Wu though.
Haven't changed anything yet. =)

My mention in stream re:Tusk was that we'll have to change the origins of characters like him and Maya, as lore-wise, they wouldn't fit the new story / timeline. That doesn't mean that we can't have Tusk play like Tusk, just that he wouldn't be from prehistoric times.

re:Kim Wu - Feels like we could do more with her to make her more unique, that's all you should read into my comment.

hwalker84

game has been really glitchy for me tonight. character models are rainbow colored, sound glitches, jago's fireball not showing up...what is going on

Who knows. I'd say ask DH. But they can't talk about it cause the patch certification is taking so long. As if that's an excuse.

hwalker84

Insert disclaimer that my comments in no way should be taken as a commitment on these things --Haven't changed anything yet. =)

My mention in stream re:Tusk was that we'll have to change the origins of characters like him and Maya, as lore-wise, they wouldn't fit the new story / timeline. That doesn't mean that we can't have Tusk play like Tusk, just that he wouldn't be from prehistoric times.

re:Kim Wu - Feels like we could do more with her to make her more unique, that's all you should read into my comment.

First two characters I want to see from season 2 are Cinder and TJ Combo.

Insert disclaimer that my comments in no way should be taken as a commitment on these things --Haven't changed anything yet. =)

is this confirmation ;_;

DrDogg

Thanks, that sounds good to me. Again, I understand things have to change, I'm just having a hard time finding a character I like since all my old favorites have been revamped to play differently.

That said, why not just have UltraTech bring Tusk, Maya and Kim Wu into the future somehow? Story doesn't really matter much to me though, so if we get solid classic skins for them, and their move sets don't see huge overhauls, I'm fine.

Kim wu and tusk got announced?

I believe they confirmed 8 characters for season 2. That pretty much confirms the 6 remaining classic characters, plus 2 new characters. I think there would be a pretty big uproar if we get through season 2 and don't have the entire original roster from KI1/2 (sans boss characters).

First two characters I want to see from season 2 are Cinder and TJ Combo.

I can agree with this. I think at least one those would be the best way to kick off season 2. You might want to save one of them for the end of the season though. If we get 3 characters to start, maybe Cinder, Tusk, and a new character?

malfcn

Right now Jago's HP and SC are looking the same. I see his arm turn and next thing I know I am getting rocked instead of breaking.

.la1n

Hey! Good to see you popping in, didn't realize you had an account on GAF.

I actually understand the reasoning behind Tusk and Kim Wu, the prehistoric time travel thing was a bit silly anyway. Kim Wu is actually one of the few classic cast that I would like to see you guys completely revamp. I am probably a bit biased coming from a Korean family but I would like to see her actually, you know, look Korean :p

Delt31

For the LOVE OF GOD how do you punish Jago and his wind kick as orchid? Seems like it's safe? I mean being able to combo into him after the wind kick fails. tell me it's not safe

Kriaser

For the LOVE OF GOD how do you punish Jago and his wind kick as orchid? Seems like it's safe? I mean being able to combo into him after the wind kick fails. tell me it's not safe

Light Wind Kick is safe.
Medium Wind Kick is safe.
Heavy Wind Kick is not safe up close. Is safe, due to push back and distance, when used from very far away. (You should be able to back jump or neutral jump punish one of these on reaction from distance, similar to heavy slide kick from orchid)

malfcn

I didn't know you could SC on the first hit of Jago's sword.

I think what I hate about Sadira the most is here angles of attack. She can jump in and change direction in about 3 different ways.
For me this throws me off because she will dive in on me, and then change direction and punish or evade.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I've been playing a ton of classic KI in anticipation of Spinal's release and all I have to say is Eyedol can go straight to hell.

eyedol is a putz. just get a full screen away from him and anti-air him as he leaps at you every time.

Guys, just wanted to give you guys an update regarding the ChronusMax.

I really hadn't played much KI to date because I really, really don't like playing fighting games without an arcade stick. While waiting for a PCB mod of some kind for my already modded TE stick, I heard about this thing from GAF and ordered on off of eBay on Tuesday. It came today. Setup was very simple and they have a youtube guide to walk you through it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNGnXGSOads

I was concerned because I think someone here in this thread mentioned some compatibility issues with their modded PCB. I have the TE Kitty piggyback installed as my PCB solution, and I'm happy to report 0 problems. I just had to make sure the modded stick is in the mode that defaults to the original TE board rather than the piggyback board. The ChronusMax recognized original board and showed all the buttons working correctly in the configuration utility. I set up the software to recognize "Profile 1" (I believe you can configure a total of 9 profiles, which correspond to buttons and whatever else) as a default 360 controller plugging into an XB1, a total of about 3 button presses. Saved the profile to the stick and that was that.

Now, you do need a Micro B USB cable (like the kind that come in the box with the PS4) for the next part because the ChronusMax uses an actual controller to authenticate (convince the One that it is okay to recognize the dongle as a valid controller). You plug the controller into the dongle and wait about 3 seconds. After that, I could unplug the One controller and plug in the 360 TE stick.

And now the sauce: All buttons work as expected. I ran through every training/tutorial stage and noticed absolutely no lag, as others have reported.

Total time spent configuring: ~3 minutes after watching the Youtube instructional video.

Recommended? Hell yea. I was pretty vocal about *not* being willing to pay $200 on top of the $500 for the console just to play KI the way I wanted to. With this thing, I'm playing at my level of expectation more or less on my own terms. I certainly would have preferred that my stick was compatible without the need for a dongle, PCB mod or anything else, but with that's not an option, this is the next best thing for me.

If you have a perfectly functional 360 TE and aren't inclined to drop $200+ for yet another stick, it's the right choice right now. With no lag, there's really no reason not to unless you're happy playing with a controller instead of that TE you paid all that money for. I can't speak to whether the HRAPs and others work as expected since I don't have my HRAP3 with me right now, but I assume it works just fine as well.

$0.02

XBL: Heavenly Hammer.

Silky

Banned

New timeline now?! Interesting...hmm...

If DH (assuming you're from DH, judging by your wording.) makes it so Tusk doesn't look like a fucking loser then I'll be hype.

Does this...exempt time traveling? Does this mean Spinal isn't from the past like in KI2? Judging from his introduction stage being Sabrewulf's lab...could he be a creation of /Sabrewulf/'s search for his Lycanthrophy cure instead of Ultratech?

Well said!

I'm just wondering if DH getting assigned new projects last month took some of there people and time away from development of KI? Since hearing about these new projects DH got handed, KI news and development seemed to slow to a crawl. I really hope I'm wrong and things start to pick up, because no matter how much fun KI has been, the lack of content after 2 months is really starting to wear on me.

Was it Microsoft or DH that promised that season 2 (after Fulgore) would deliver atleast 1 new character per month? At the rate they are going, I'm not sure how they will be meeting this promise? Again, I hope my pessimistic attitude is proven wrong, time will tell.

E.

New timeline now?! Interesting...hmm...

If DH (assuming you're from DH, judging by your wording.) makes it so Tusk doesn't look like a fucking loser then I'll be hype.

Does this...exempt time traveling? Does this mean Spinal isn't from the past like in KI2? Judging from his introduction stage being Sabrewulf's lab...could he be a creation of /Sabrewulf/'s search for his Lycanthrophy cure instead of Ultratech?

I am seriously praying that Spinal has his own stage (just maybe this is whats taking so long?), nothing puts you in that "Spinal" Zone like that creepy boat with them skeletons rowing and that crazy sick azz awesome music playing in the background! IMO Spinal looks better then any Character as far as originality is concerned, taking it a step further making him look so much more of a bad azz!

I'm really hoping DH does not half ass Spinal by denying him of anything as far as his own Stage, music, etc. Would be a travesty!

E.

I am seriously praying that Spinal has his own stage (just maybe this is whats taking so long?), nothing puts you in that "Spinal" Zone like that creepy boat with them skeletons rowing and that crazy sick azz awesome music playing in the background! IMO Spinal looks better then any Character as far as originality is concerned, taking it a step further making him look so much more of a bad azz!

I'm really hoping DH does not half ass Spinal by denying him of anything as far as his own Stage, music, etc. Would be a travesty!

E.

They've already shown us a glimpse of his stage in the screenshots they released a week ago.

Finally got an Xbox One and I'm loving KI. Quick question since I'm thinking about getting the Ultra Edition: Do I still have to buy any of the costumes and accessories (even future, unreleased ones under the Season One banner) through earning KP? Or will I only need to worry about getting KP for Training Mode Background/Audio themes and profile titles if I get Ultra?

And glad to hear about the ChronusMax working well Dreams-Visions. I've got a couple of Madcatz and Hori sticks and pads that I'd like to keep using for the time being.

gAg CruSh3r

I'm kinda new to the KI community but I just got done with a ranked match that I won but I went down a whole rank. Where I was suppose to rank up. Has anyone else had this problem??? I'm pretty frustrated at this.

Top Bottom