• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

On the plus side of KI news, at least I received my Pin Edition confirmation email today, stating I successfully registered and pin redemption codes, when applicable, will be emailed later this week. Anybody else receive one today?

.la1n

i have a feeling tomorrow is our day!

i hope.

Got a 50/50 shot since they said we would possibly see something before the next stream.

Or was it a confirmation we would see something before the next stream? Don't remember what the answer was on that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thunder's Bear accessories are now up for separate purchase on Xbox One itself. Haven't seen any updates to the game yet though.

Durock

I'm thinking it will be an "event" of some sort right before the stream airs. Just like they did with Orchid in October.

On the plus side of KI news, at least I received my Pin Edition confirmation email today, stating I successfully registered and pin redemption codes, when applicable, will be emailed later this week. Anybody else receive one today?

Happy for you but I haven't gotten a single response except for the email stating it failed to register my Pin Ultimate edition…. This seriously sucks!

Mq0ecaA.jpg

!!!!!!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
SywaWec.png

not sure what to make of this...especially since the last time a stream was supposed to be great it turned out to be boring

Maybe.... They want spinal to be out so they can challenge the community with a new character instead of jumping between builds... That way they can demonstrate his craziness by kicking our assets?

That's my guess.

DrDogg

As expected, trailer/walkthrough exclusive to IGN.

That's why we have seen no footage.

Which honestly doesn't make any sense. Even if IGN had the exclusive, It's not as though IGN dictates when it posts. IGN could've posted it last week, or even two weeks ago.

I posted this on the DHG boards: I have to admit. As much as I'm looking forward to Spinal, a trailer tomorrow does nothing for me when we should be playing him tomorrow or Friday.

I get the issues with MS cert. That's been a known problem for years. What I don't understand is why they wanted to debut the trailer the day before (or same day) he's available. If anything, why not make two trailers. One debut trailer that could've hit a week or two ago, then a trailer for tomorrow that goes more in-depth and features Fulgore at the end.

At this point, I don't really care about the trailer. I would love to know the PR thought process behind all of this.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Technically, it's good that all purchasers of the "full game" get the characters ASAP. Normally, this would make fighter fans happy!

But it's really stupid to say it's a typo. Why not just state "The plan didn't work out for this season, but in S2, we plan for ULTRA level to have early access, by way of Closed Beta open to all purchasers!" or something of that sort?

I can appreciate the flying-by-the-seat-of-one's-pants nature they have with the development, but some things just come off as foolish, and promote the idea they're more incompetent than they should want to appear.

Updates to KI arcade are still a perk of the ULTRA edition, if we ever see those. I don't really feel like I've been slighted by the fact that all "Full Game" customers get what was though to be a semi-exclusive perk. I just wish clearing up / changing the issue was handled better.

And we could really use a content roadmap going forward. After the promise of weekly updates, might as well commit to what's coming out each week, and on what days, if possible. It'd be a nice way to maintain excitement.

Nori Chan

I got a successful registration email again lol

It said that I I got it again that I was twice as awesome :). And if said he pin code will follow soon after.

Spades

KI-GAF, this week I (finally) took delivery of my TE2 stick. I had been putting off playing KI until this moment and now I'm able to start enjoying the experience! I'm very much a KI beginner, and a beginner to fighting games in general really. I mean I've played fighters in the past, but I have never learned any character moves - very much a button basher. It's obvious that this is not how to enjoy KI, which I expected.

So I've stated playing the dojo training lessons and I'm slowly starting to get the hang of combos. My question is: is this the best way to learn the game or is there any beginners guide or other suggested reading material out there?

hwalker84

KI-GAF, this week I (finally) took delivery of my TE2 stick. I had been putting off playing KI until this moment and now I'm able to start enjoying the experience! I'm very much a KI beginner, and a beginner to fighting games in general really. I mean I've played fighters in the past, but I have never learned any character moves - very much a button basher. It's obvious that this is not how to enjoy KI, which I expected.

So I've stated playing the dojo training lessons and I'm slowly starting to get the hang of combos. My question is: is this the best way to learn the game or is there any beginners guide or other suggested reading material out there?

Do as much as you can in the dojo maybe a few times. Play lots of vs. CPU.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Well for some reason, KI thought I was switching profiles RIGHT after a match while playing locally, and it seems my save file was corrupted :( Bye Rank 9, bye bye Stockpile of KP, bye bye earned colors, art, music, stages, and customizations!

Man, it wouldn't annoy me as much if it was actually my own error. But it all happened after a hype match-end, so talk about killing the hype!

:( :( Why can't this thing check the Cloud, and see that I'm the incorrect level? Shouldn't that be what auto cloud saving is for, verifying incorrect save changes? ARGH.

=====

And Now I'm going to feel like a heel as I ruthlessly beat up on low ranked people with my FALSE low rank, as I auto-pilot through countless online matches in order to get KP again. ARGGGH.

I guess I can play other characters without worrying about losing points too much, so that's... KINDA... a minor bonus, but seeing all my stats and stuff gone (while the saved replays still show my former rank and such) just really blows.

.la1n

Black-Man-Stark-Trek-Facepalm-Gif.gif

So I was right, this Spinal mess is partially to blame on a needless IGN exclusive. I'll repeat what I said before, this is a game that is already out and a character that has already been paid for by combo / ultra pack owners. An IGN exclusive for this makes absolutely no sense. It's also the reason why a build with Spinal wasn't able to be shown during any of the Microsoft streams. I would wager it is also the reason why we haven't gotten a trailer sooner for the character. I can only hope that they will not be working with IGN going forward, or any other "game journalism" website.

It doesn't help that the IGN reveal for Orchid was terrible. Both representatives from IGN sounded very unprofessional on the stream and the whole thing felt like an unorganized mess. If it had not been for Rich and the other DH dev being there then I would have ruled the whole thing a PR disaster. The game has a good thing going with the weekly streams, do your updates there. People will appreciate that more than having to go to a website that's a leftover corpse from the 90's video game website boom. Not to mention just to watch a stream on IGN you have to navigate their poorly designed site riddled with ads.

If you want to announce great things coming every week then that's fine. All people ask if you are going to do that then have some form of a road map so we at least know when to expect these things. I wish I could say I had all the time in the world to check for updates to your game every week on random days and times but I don't.

We like your game, sales should reflect that much. Just stop making it feel like I am being jerked around every time I see a twitter update or announcement. Please?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

The stuff DrDogg has on Prima's site is quite helpful. But nothing will ever teach fighters as well as actual combat. Try to identify what you're doing bad at when actually under pressure, and then work on improving those things.

Asking people on Live into a few exhibition matches can be very helpful. I met some of my best Live friends by complimenting on how good a (Character player) they were, and wanting to get in some spars with them, to learn how to deal with them.

Both versions get it early? Earlier than what? I guess the free versions? Still, that's shady.

Earlier than being separately released on the XB1 / in-game store for purchase.

Blu10

Well for some reason, KI thought I was switching profiles RIGHT after a match while playing locally, and it seems my save file was corrupted :( Bye Rank 9, bye bye Stockpile of KP, bye bye earned colors, art, music, stages, and customizations!

Man, it wouldn't annoy me as much if it was actually my own error. But it all happened after a hype match-end, so talk about killing the hype!

:( :( Why can't this thing check the Cloud, and see that I'm the incorrect level? Shouldn't that be what auto cloud saving is for, verifying incorrect save changes? ARGH.

=====

And Now I'm going to feel like a heel as I ruthlessly beat up on low ranked people with my FALSE low rank, as I auto-pilot through countless online matches in order to get KP again. ARGGGH.

I guess I can play other characters without worrying about losing points too much, so that's... KINDA... a minor bonus, but seeing all my stats and stuff gone (while the saved replays still show my former rank and such) just really blows.

that sucks a lot! I just played ranked tonight for the first time after over 600 matches solely to unlock color number 6. After 16 matches losing only twice at my rank up to 5 match, I had a blast. If I lose my colors after purchasing them I'll be pissed.

In over 250 hrs of SF4, and 150 of both marvel and SFvT I never played ranked cause there was no need to. I may be hooked now...fuck me.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
that sucks a lot! I just played ranked tonight for the first time after over 600 matches solely to unlock color number 6. After 16 matches losing only twice at my rank up to 5 match, I had a blast. If I lose my colors after purchasing them I'll be pissed.

*fistbump* Good luck with your saves :) I've had the game show erroneous ranks and stuff for me before, but after a re-start it never STUCK. This time though... (T_T)

It's been YEARS since I've had a game save mess up... it feels so odd to know all those marathons of KI from Nov. to now are lost to time, ha. It'd be one thing if it was just, say, ranked progress, and I still had my offline stuff... but starting back at the ground floor, everything locked, with all play stats erased, is such a chore!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'll be out of class the minute it starts....

Guys the achievemtns are up for spinal :D you know what that means

It means... you can see his Grab, Skull commons, and a few more special moves by searching the challenge and achievement previews! ;)

Top Bottom