• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

sangreal

ki16951.bmp

ki26701.bmp

ki28001.bmp

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Instant Teleport Cancel into special with Skull is SO DIRTY! It's like SFIV Sim without any IAT skill required, lol. It's not impervious, and you can see it coming from a mile away, but who cares, it's such a scrubby, land-damage-without-trying situation.

I think Classic Wulf has freaky googly eyes, and only looks cool because of the fantastic customization options. Default, he looks so insanely plain. Which is actually really appropriate, so I applaud them once again for not going crazy with the base design. Mecha-wulf is fantastic. I just wish he had a mecha-head to go along with it.

Classic Glacius' alts are great, however. An Ent set for his green color, MORE ICE CRYSTALS for his T2 liquid steel color, and a Xenomorph look for his brown-ish color. It does exactly what I wished his outfits would do; make him look like come form of elemental or alien creatures.

I feel like I've seen more obvious "Pre-match Synch" in the netcode today. As if it skips a few frames at the start of somewhat laggy matches. And sometimes I feel there's more of a "weight" behind my moves than I'd like. I can chalk this up to more people playing, with a wider variety of connections... dunno if it has anything to do with code changes.

I love the first time I did Spinal's absorb to all of Glacius' ranged specials... The opponent just kinda stood there thinking "well... THAT'S not going to work now!", lol. I think Sticking Spinal in a Fireball absorb chain (Say with Jago), and then walking up and HITTING HIM with a normal might just be a fun strat, since I don't think he can shift to normal guard out of it?

At any rate, this is all good fun. I think they found their groove with classic costume accessories; they're themed with the ideals and history of the characters, and nothing seems to be as outright offensively outlandish as some of the earlier stuff.

Blu10

Wait.... really? Wasn't the whole purpose of this to punish the assholes who do this?

If true, that's really messed up, and does nothing to solve the problem. Anyone else have someone disconnect on the. And get put in jail?

It can't really work like that... No way, just doesn't make sense.

Sdoots

Don't worry, the entire community will be in there soon

If someone disconnects on you, that counts as a disconnect on you too.

Um, what

So this whole Jail thing that sounded great, is fundamentally broken? You don't get the win if someone drops on you, you get penalized as well, and everyone gets pissed?

Great. I can understand the difficulty in detecting the difference between legit drops and people intentionally leaving games, but if people are getting put in jail after one instance of a disconnect, shit is fucked.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LoL, yup, got jailed too. 1 time of an opponent D/C'n wouldn't take a person to 15% DC now, would it?

Wonder if it's just a glitch of icon appearances, or of actual "Jailtime".

.la1n

That's odd that it would be counting disconnects as a penalty for both players, no way that's intentional. I'm sure they'll fix it or everyone will be in jail.

Edit: black classic Glacius looks awesome.

Piccoro

Why do there are so many rage-quitters in this game anyway?
My theory is that, due to the relative xbox One game drought, a lot of non FG fans bought KI due to the hype. Now those noobs are getting destroyed online, and they hate losing so they disconnect a lot.
What do you guys think?

That and the rank system was unnecessarily harsh at launch. It's been rectified somewhat but it's pretty much ingrained in some people's minds that if they take the loss they'll lose way too much of the progress they've made in ranking up.

bumpkin

Oh snap, they snuck in the classic Glacius and 'Wulf costumes too? Bonus!

The wait for my work day to be over is painful. :(

Question.

I was one of the lucky dudes that got a free code for Killer Instinct for all the characters from MS for some reason via email. I haven't spent much time with the game yet (too many fun games on the XBO) and was curious, will the classic Killer Instinct be sold seperately?

Sorry, another question. What did I do to qualify for a free code?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Question.

I was one of the lucky dudes that got a free code for Killer Instinct for all the characters from MS for some reason via email. I haven't spent much time with the game yet (too many fun games on the XBO) and was curious, will the classic Killer Instinct be sold seperately?

Sorry, another question. What did I do to qualify for a free code?

You existed , really.

It won't be sold separately (at least that's the vibe I get from DH) but soon you will be able to upgrade to the $40 version if you want, likely for $20

Kriaser

First impressions of Spinal: Seemed scary.
Good damage output and move set.
Slide cannot be cancelled on block, easy to punish.
Overall thought he would be a threat on Day 1.

After fighting several Spinals: People really need to stop playing run away with Spinal. He seems/feels more of a pressure character, seeing as he has multiple ways of hitting high and low, almost at the same time.
People are not abusing his teleports enough, at least properly. LK teleport moves you away from the opponent, making some fun shenanigans but no one seems to know how to play footies with him yet.
Meter drain on instinct and shadow bars seemed... very not threatening? Perhaps people just need to learn to apply curses more often.

Overall he seems very fun to play, but with a lack of cross up, I'm finding him hard to actually keep pressure against an opponents wake up.

brettreyu

First impressions of Spinal: Seemed scary.
Good damage output and move set.
Slide cannot be cancelled on block, easy to punish.
Overall thought he would be a threat on Day 1.

After fighting several Spinals: People really need to stop playing run away with Spinal. He seems/feels more of a pressure character, seeing as he has multiple ways of hitting high and low, almost at the same time.
People are not abusing his teleports enough, at least properly. LK teleport moves you away from the opponent, making some fun shenanigans but no one seems to know how to play footies with him yet.
Meter drain on instinct and shadow bars seemed... very not threatening? Perhaps people just need to learn to apply curses more often.

Overall he seems very fun to play, but with a lack of cross up, I'm finding him hard to actually keep pressure against an opponents wake up.

Valuable insight thank you!

You existed , really.

It won't be sold separately (at least that's the vibe I get from DH) but soon you will be able to upgrade to the $40 version if you want, likely for $20

Thanks.

I hope there is some bundle for season 2 that will include the classic KI or that there is a reuction of price for the Ultimate Edition, since I own the combo one.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Well the searing skull isn't very useful alone... But if you can stack 3 instinct or 3-5 shadow curses... Then it gets interesting.

Like... It looks like each skull takes 20% shaDow bar away ... So with spinal ...Just from observation you would optimally follow the path: attack->drain->suppress

Kriaser

Example 1 of Spinal corner pressure after a knock down:
HP Searing skull for overhead + Slide. Looks like they hit roughly same time. Slide will hit first, unless delayed. Even if slide is blocked, overhead fireball will hit enemy unless they pushed you out of the corner.

Example 2
Wall splat into spin out > cancel into overhead fireball. Fireball will be Meaty to the point of them waking up, they will get hit if they touch ANYTHING.

Not a corner pressure trick, but good to know poke:
HP poke > LP or MP fireball, at any range not max range, Slide will combo and you can get a full combo.

btags

Just curious, did anyone else's single player rank (or whatever it is called) go down with the update? Mine used to be 12 and now it is 9. I'm not complaining or anything, but I am curious if it was due to the addition of spinal.

Kriaser

Example 1 of Spinal corner pressure after a knock down:
HP Searing skull for overhead + Slide. Looks like they hit roughly same time. Slide will hit first, unless delayed. Even if slide is blocked, overhead fireball will hit enemy unless they pushed you out of the corner.

Example 2
Wall splat into spin out > cancel into overhead fireball. Fireball will be Meaty to the point of them waking up, they will get hit if they touch ANYTHING.

Not a corner pressure trick, but good to know poke:
HP poke > LP or MP fireball, at any range not max range, Slide will combo and you can get a full combo.

HP poke > LP fireball, b.HP mix up is another. Cancel the b.HP into whatever you like and start a combo or LK teleport away.

Top Bottom