• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Wow, that Spinal trailer was very nice. I won't really be able to put time into him until next Tuesday, but I look forward to it!

Also, holy shit Fulgore. That chestular beam. Shades of Maxima. He's on my radar now.

Blu10

Both spinal and his stage are awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on him and see how he plays. Also holy crap at the Fulgor design.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
How are they fixing the Rage Quitter problem?

Well, the patch notes will be out today according to filthierich

I would assume a loss to quitters, but dont know for sure.

They will likely use cloud servers in the end to maintain 3 connections (peer to peer and peer to server) just to verify connections so if someone drops, the person left standing gets the win no matter what. That or the dropper at least gets a loss no matter what.

But that's likely not until later.

DrDogg

Dr. Dogg post if you are o.k. <3

I'm fine, but only because I can play him tomorrow lol. That laugh though... I'm going to be getting rage quits left and right. I will just mash on his taunt as often as possible because... I won't be able to help myself.

He sounds so... so... so very dirty.

Here's the info from the 17 minute video:
- Normal skull is advantage on block
- Heavy teleport with skull can cancel into a special move
- Sword Spin is upper body invincible
- Shadow Shield Bash is throw invincible
- Shadow teleport is throw invincible
- Shadow skull absorbs Instinct meter and stacks up to 3 times
- Normal skull absorbs Shadow meter and stacks up to 5 times
- Stacks carry over between rounds
- In Instinct mode he regens skulls every 2 seconds
- If Spinal takes a hit the skull curses disappear

brettreyu

I'm fine, but only because I can play him tomorrow lol. That laugh though... I'm going to be getting rage quits left and right. I will just mash on his taunt as often as possible because... I won't be able to help myself.

He sounds so... so... so very dirty.

Here's the info from the 17 minute video:
- Normal skull is advantage on block
- Heavy teleport with skull can cancel into a special move
- Sword Spin is upper body invincible
- Shadow Shield Bash is throw invincible
- Shadow teleport is throw invincible
- Shadow skull absorbs Instinct meter and stacks up to 3 times
- Normal skull absorbs Shadow meter and stacks up to 5 times
- Stacks carry over between rounds
- In Instinct mode he regens skulls every 2 seconds
- If Spinal takes a hit the skull curses disappear

He's certainly the slowest character in the game but I wonder if he'll have the least health as well?

brettreyu

There's no dynamic vitality in this game. Everyone has the same health bar. Same instinct time, too.

I didn't realize that, strange. Maybe his damage output will be lower then, to compensate for the godly amount of tools. Also it sounds like he will be pretty limited without skulls, so playing smart and not going ham should limit the number of skulls he can grab.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
JAIL sounds pretty hilarious. And I'm impressed they implemented the easy quick position restarts in training! So few games do that, great to see someone take note.

I didn't realize that, strange. Maybe his damage output will be lower then, to compensate for the godly amount of tools. Also it sounds like he will be pretty limited without skulls, so playing smart and not going ham should limit the number of skulls he can grab.

Aye. Seems like he'll have to take risk to get his power, and that's always the time where people take the most damage in KI.

He has a risky manuals system that gives you 3 changes to break the same strength, normal walk speed will make ticks hard to land (run will help, but probably kinda risky), his pokes are kind of mediocre, and his basic cross-screen projectile has basically 1 speed, which changes him to a fairly abnormal fireball game. Should be a bit easier to deal with than Jago's, at least when it comes to jumping them, and gaining advantage.

His special move absorb is also totally weak to all normal attacks, so that'll force him to take some risk.

Did we see anything that looked like an obvious cross-up? I think he did a funky split for what looked like Jumping Medium Kick.

It's cool that he has NO fireball game unless he gets those skulls. People who like to turtle and Downback Fighter 4 will have to get in your face occasionally. And aside from instinct, I don't think he has a way to generate skulls without attacking.

monopoly-jail.jpg

I think this is needed.

So was it mentioned what Spinal's specific combo mechanic is? A previous example would be Jago's around the world. Didn't they say every character has a special thing they can do during combos?

Spades

Sorry to interrupt the Spinal talk but…

I just managed to pull off my first
and then second
Ultra Combo in an online match! Old news for you guys I know but I was on the edge of my seat! I have to say that it was one of the most rewarding moments I've ever had whilst playing a game! Mostly because I've barely played any actual games and have been spending all of my time in the dojo.

Very rewarding so far. Can't wait to sink more time into this game.

derFeef

and then second
Ultra Combo in an online match! Old news for you guys I know but I was on the edge of my seat! I have to say that it was one of the most rewarding moments I've ever had whilst playing a game! Mostly because I've barely played any actual games and have been spending all of my time in the dojo.

I still have to do that :( I always screw up in online. Everything.

DopeyFish

So was it mentioned what Spinal's specific combo mechanic is? A previous example would be Jago's around the world. Didn't they say every character has a special thing they can do during combos?

his is ghoulish/spectral manuals

when doing an auto double you can hit again right after the AD, but it has to be same strength. (and the fist will come out of the ground to punch) so it would be two presses of the same button. they say it's an "easy" manual so i'm assuming the timing isn't as strict as usual.

if someone is ready for it, you can easily be broken... but it can also mess someone up

Silky

Banned

and then second

Welcome to KI <3

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Just got home from work and watched the reveal trailer and walkthrough. Spinal looks really fun to play as..and I have to say his re-design and move set is sick as Hell. Im FINALLY getting an xbone this weekend with my tax return (Ive had a TE2 for a month lol), looks like its just in time.

Also Fulgore....holy fucking shit someone hold me.

.la1n

IGN video was a bit of a mess thanks to him attempting to talk over the developers every time he asked a question, no surprises there. Spinal and his stage look fine, enjoy the stage music. Good thing January has 31 days so they could stretch it out as long as possible without looking too foolish. Would have been better if he had been released today but it is what it is at this point.

Patch notes are interesting, happy to see we should be paired with people closer to our rank first. No mention of the increased lag online since the last patch, not sure if they don't want to acknowledge it's existence or perhaps it's been fixed. I guess I will find out tomorrow.

Fulgore looks pretty good from what I can tell, not sure how I feel about the legs / feet but will reserve judgement until I can see him in action. The rest of the design looks pretty boss though, good job DH. Just please for the love of all that is good in the world drop IGN exclusives going forward and communicate better about updates.

.la1n

I don't think they are planning a separate boss character for story. I believe Fulgore will be the final boss but I would like to surprised. If anything I would say Gargos has a chance over Eyedol since he does show up on Shadow Jago's instinct mode.

Meant to mention this earlier but the way they do Spinal's spectral energy kind of gives a glimpse into how Cinder might look, and that makes me pretty happy.

I don't think they are planning a separate boss character for story. I believe Fulgore will be the final boss but I would like to surprised. If anything I would say Gargos has a chance over Eyedol since he does show up on Shadow Jago's instinct mode.

Meant to mention this earlier but the way they do Spinal's spectral energy kind of gives a glimpse into how Cinder might look, and that makes me pretty happy.

Really? Got a link?

Chairhome

Ughhh. So Spinal's story DOES have to do with time travel? Jeez.

"Immortal time traveling pirate looking for something to cure his immortal curse."
I think it's just that he's been "alive" for so long, he has been through the ages, not necessarily time travel.

DopeyFish

But..... shadow jago is gargos.

Skab

Jago's whole story this time around was him finding out that the Tiger Spirit he has been following this whole time was actually Gargos.

Shadow Jago is probably what happens if he gives in to him. (Or something to that effect.)

And since they plan on giving S.Jago his own move set in the future, I think it's safe to say he will be the boss.

.la1n

Jago's whole story this time around was him finding out that the Tiger Spirit he has been following this whole time was actually Gargos.

Shadow Jago is probably what happens if he gives in to him. (Or something to that effect.)

And since they plan on giving S.Jago his own move set in the future, I think it's safe to say he will be the boss.

Would be cool if you fought Shadow Jago then Gargos.

Silky

Banned

SURE IS RYU/AKUMA

ShinAmano

So...I got one of those 12month cards with the code for ki and shadow jago...I already had the ultimate version of ki so I passed the code to a friend who had not picked it up yet only to find out that the game was not included and I lost a shadow jago code that I would have used had I known :(

Top Bottom