• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 2 |OT| It's international RIPTOOOOORRRRRR day.

Just starting out with him but Cinder feels very awkward to use thus far. It doesn't feel like there's much flow to his fighting style, if that makes sense. All his moves just feel really erratic and like they don't chain together well.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cinder's existance makes me more hype for ARIA actually.

At first, he's a pain. Moves on EVERYTHING, weird enders that leave guys standing there... fireballs thay cause no hitstun...

But then you get to all the stupid air mixup trickery with his psycho cru- Talbain charges. Oooh boy. This actually reminds me of what I thought Hsien-ko would feel like in Mehvil 3. Instantly going from bround pressure to air normals by cancelling an omni-directional special... that can then be cancelled into AGAIN from the normal.

He just has stupid amounts of freedom. His projectiles can be blown mid travel or when planted. Air jumpins canceled into specials or command normal. A free-use target combo. Fake outs and frame advantage from the same move... yeesh.

With all that, his footsie tools feel stubby to me. More like Omen, less like Jago or Thunder. His anti-air normal feels slow. His throw range is tiny! His combo trait takes getting used to.

But I love the feel of his recapture command normal. It normally works just as fast and nice as I expect it to. Catching out of heat-up D.P IS satisfaction (and breaker bait.) I also love the bomb setup stuff on wakeups. Almost as bad as Spinal, with cross'n up by jumping over, and exploding bomb ambiguously while in mid air.

Cinder's accessories are quite nice to me, I like the more mechanical one. And we're missing his premium one, no? Maybe it's in the art too..

Aganos has nice colors on the classic, and the accessories are nice. I just wish the leg stuff was fully- mirrored to both legs, rather than being on one. Alt mask would have been awesome too.

Doukou

Just starting out with him but Cinder feels very awkward to use thus far. It doesn't feel like there's much flow to his fighting style, if that makes sense. All his moves just feel really erratic and like they don't chain together well.

I agree he feels the loosest in terms of combos and a bit random. Though after some time I'm getting a hang of it.
Merci beaucoup, Doukou.

I actually do not like any of the accessories for Cinder. Aganos has two that I like, the ones on the red one and original color. They're pretty cool.

I like Cinder's second one, rocks meh.
Funny enough I like the white one the best and don't care much for the others for Retro Aganos.
One thing that I love seeing is Cinder's fire shine off of Aganos during his intro.

vg260

They really should have added boosters that we could buy with gold

Yeah, as long as the level 50 color can't be purchased, gold is moot to me. I only have Cinder and Aria left to get to 50, and I'm not gonna stop short now. I might have contributed to the community purchase fund if they did just to speed up the last two.

I generally don't care for badges and stuff, but really hope they add one for getting everybody to 50.

Doukou

Is anyone's levels saving at all, I got Cinder to level 9 and that didn't save, got him to level 2 and that didn't work either. Maybe its a bug playing it while its installing.

I like Cinder's second one, rocks meh.
Funny enough I like the white one the best and don't care much for the others for Retro Aganos.
One thing that I love seeing is Cinder's fire shine off of Aganos during his intro.

Yeah, the rock accessories are my least favorite from Cinder.

We just seem to be opposite. :p

I know this makes me sound really cheap, but assuming Shadow Jago does get funded, will he be available for purchase for less if you don't spend $20 now? I have no use for KI Gold, and $20 seems a bit high for just a skin (at the moment).

Doukou

I know this makes me sound really cheap, but assuming Shadow Jago does get funded, will he be available for purchase for less if you don't spend $20 now? I have no use for KI Gold, and $20 seems a bit high for just a skin (at the moment).

Maybe? They probably don't want to announce it until after the bundle's objective is done.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

We aren't sure.

They said they'd make him available in different ways but we don't know if this will be the extent of it or not.

You have to think they would. Just because they're making him tournament viable means they need to make sure he's readily available for future tournament use... if he becomes someone's main and they go into a tournament and they don't have him available it would be sooooooo awkward

Thanks everybody. I guess I was behind on KI news because I was completely surprised when I logged in. I'll keep thinking about it- I do like the idea of donating to a KI tournament.

vg260

Is anyone's levels saving at all, I got Cinder to level 9 and that didn't save, got him to level 2 and that didn't work either. Maybe its a bug playing it while its installing.

It seems to be a bug based on some previous posts here and on the official forums.

.la1n

I thought this update might fix the bad load times on stages or make character select not janky :(

Cinder doesn't flow very well for me, will take some getting used to.

dankir

Jesus fucking christ Inferno's full theme is ridiculous my neck is broken from the head banging.

Can somebody explain his flaming dash attack?

you can use <- + -> and fireball motion right? I don't understand how it works in the air. Do I need to continue doing rekkas and or do I use the joystick with a kick button?

Do I only get a third dash attack when he's fired up?

.la1n

Jesus fucking christ Inferno's full theme is ridiculous my neck is broken from the head banging.

Can somebody explain his flaming dash attack?

you can use <- + -> and fireball motion right? I don't understand how it works in the air. Do I need to continue doing rekkas and or do I use the joystick with a kick button?

Do I only get a third dash attack when he's fired up?

You do the initial back, forward kick motion to get the flaming dash then you can press any direction+ a kick button after to move to that direction. You can get a third direction press if he is fully powered up.

edit: Forgot to add that after the initial dash the second is performed by pressing a direction+kick, I assume any kick is fine not at my xbox right now.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I'm loving Cinder so far, his 'flow' is kinda random but his combos look fantastic.

Heatshade

Neo Member
Seems like my save issue is permanent as of right now, very annoying.

I have the same problem.
Earlier I contaced Xbox support about it but they could not help me because they believe its an issue with the Iron Galaxy servers.
Are you from Europe or NA?

Maybe its a region thing.
And check your fight challenges, is it a different number on the leaderboards in comparison to your own stats? Thats what it is with me.

.la1n

I am assuming Cinder's ultra isn't complete, it doesn't sound like it. Also because his Ultra ender has no sound at all, not even a normal hit sound.

W.S.

Yah I don't think anyone can fault you. 20 dollars is rather expensive for a skin that may be a character(and some currency which I don't care for).
Exactly.

We aren't sure.

They said they'd make him available in different ways but we don't know if this will be the extent of it or not.

You have to think they would. Just because they're making him tournament viable means they need to make sure he's readily available for future tournament use... if he becomes someone's main and they go into a tournament and they don't have him available it would be sooooooo awkward
An alternative would be to make Shadow Jago a season 3 character with Tusk, Kim Wu, a new character and maybe even in Gargus with a bunch of new accessories or skins.

Doukou

I have the same problem.
Earlier I contaced Xbox support about it but they could not help me because they believe its an issue with the Iron Galaxy servers.
Are you from Europe or NA?

Maybe its a region thing.
And check your fight challenges, is it a different number on the leaderboards in comparison to your own stats? Thats what it is with me.

Pretty sure it's not a regional thing, I'm in WA(USA) so close to MS. Haven't checked leaderboards.

DopeyFish

Burning limb mechanic needs to be tossed asap.

It's really really stupid and unintuitive.

That combined with the bombs makes cinder a player that FORCES other people to not be aggressive. It's against the core KI philosophy.

I'm watching nubs play and i'm seeing people get frustrated because they don't know what the hell is going on when they have burning limbs.

It's restricting mobility of players and allowing cheese play to occur. It's limiting damage against just because of removal of those options... and that's with massive potential damage being stacked on.

Make the fire just allow more damaging attacks (like a debuff) and allow the bombs to be removed and flames to dissipate with pressure. Bombs should have less removal time.

It's not adding good stuff to the meta.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yeah the burning limbs thing is odd, it'll probably get changed pretty dramatically by Evo.

On another note, is it just me or has the character select icon gotten even more laggy. It's a fucking joke how slow and unresponsive it is. My wife likes to play KI sometimes and just now she thought something was wrong her controller lol.

DopeyFish

Actually a better option for the bombs is to just not allow them to be ignited outside of the ender.

It's call of sky all over again except this time it's with a very mobile player.

This way for cinder, the best method of maximizing damage is to burnout and apply bombs then open up. Forces cinder to become aggressive and doesn't limit the options of other players and completely removes cinder's cheese.

This way it's not absolutely punishing novice players which right now is a big issue.

Pachinko

I actually played KI more tonight then I probably have since last year , give cinder a whirl and also spent a bunch of time playing as Hisako.

I think I might actually try and learn some more stuff with Hisako, her slower playstyle seems to suit my skill level a little more than Orchid did.

As for Cinder - he's pretty fun to use but even being a total scrub I can tell that the burn mechanic is going to have to be tweaked and his sticky bombs might need to be nerfed a bit. As well , if I didn't know any better I'd say some of the performance issues they tweaked that Hisako was causing are also happening with Cinder now. Could also have been network lag too , who knows ?

I'm thinking maybe instead of being timer based, Cinders burn mode should be activated with 3 punches , and thus at the same time this also detonates any sticky bombs on screen. If Cinder blocks in this mode the opponent suffers a burn on whatever limb they attacked with and if Cinder attacks , the next 3 hits will set the opponent on fire if the attacks are blocked. Maybe make the burn die out much faster too - instead of dealing potential damage basically forever, it does only a heavy punch worth of potential damage in 1 second and then goes out after another second , so if a fired up cinder does a lengthy combo , burning the opponent first might lead to slightly higher damage output.

Obviously making it a button prompt instead of a timer means that anyone using cinder could activate it at any time , as many times as they wanted but perhaps to avoid the technique being abused , it would have a 15 frame animation or something. As well , maybe add "burn" as a side effect of being hit by some of his moves ?

Obviously his Instinct could remain the same - cinder would remain in burn up mode until the meter runs dry and maybe burn damage inflicted while instinct is active lasts twice as long ?

Either way I suspect his change log / bug fix list will be rather lengthy in the May update. Hopefully the character select screen can be sped up substantially by the time we get the June update. Perhaps they can switch the character preview to a 2D image so the game wouldn't have to load entire character models constantly ? I'm sure there's a way to fix it.

Burning limb mechanic needs to be tossed asap.

It's really really stupid and unintuitive.

That combined with the bombs makes cinder a player that FORCES other people to not be aggressive. It's against the core KI philosophy.

I'm watching nubs play and i'm seeing people get frustrated because they don't know what the hell is going on when they have burning limbs.

It's restricting mobility of players and allowing cheese play to occur. It's limiting damage against just because of removal of those options... and that's with massive potential damage being stacked on.

Make the fire just allow more damaging attacks (like a debuff) and allow the bombs to be removed and flames to dissipate with pressure. Bombs should have less removal time.

It's not adding good stuff to the meta.

I've got a feeling that the burnout mechanic is here to stay, but I agree it does need some work.

I was testing it out in training mode and I found myself saying "wow, that lasts a really long time". It's a long time to not be able to throw out a poke. If anything, using a normal shouldn't completely reset the burnout timer. Maybe it should add potential damage on top of the damage you're already building up, so the burnout is on a fixed timer and can't be reset. Like, lights add a small amount, mediums add a medium amount, ect....It would have to be worked so that manuals, linkers and auto-doubles don't add potential damage, only regular normals in the neutral.

I don't know, just an idea. I like Cinder as a character, but I am also not feeling the burnout mechanic as an opponent of Cinder.

.la1n

Wow TJ Combo takes relearning now. Half the time I can't get the combo enders to come out. It's difficult to get anything but the new push back combo ender which usually ends the string too early.

His new intro and outro are amazing though :)

Cinder: It's early but I feel like the burnout mechanic is absolutely out of place in this game, we will see how it evolves. Right now it goes against the philosophy of KI being a game where you want to get in and start combos. If you've been hit with burnout the safest strategy is to try to run away, it's not even worth getting in and trying to use the available buttons.

Yeah the burning limbs thing is odd, it'll probably get changed pretty dramatically by Evo.

On another note, is it just me or has the character select icon gotten even more laggy. It's a fucking joke how slow and unresponsive it is. My wife likes to play KI sometimes and just now she thought something was wrong her controller lol.

The biggest chips on my shoulder right now are the character select not improving at all, worse stage load times ever since the Hisako update, and characters still appearing without all their textures loaded for the entirety of matches. Smaller gripe is that the stage background contrast/brightness goes up after the match ends and it looks off. There is still the unaddressed issue of season one stages having lower IQ / textures than they did in season one. Hopefully between the Aria update and story mode they will have time to iron out this stuff. I'd almost prefer they ship Aria with the story mode in June and spend more time in May focused on fixing all the problems.

Since I only have the Season Two Combo Breaker pack, I had to settle for watching Cinder in CPU vs CPU matches to see him in action.
I set the difficulty on Kyle and then watched the CPU-controlled Cinder fight every other character in the game. Cinder didn't win a single match. I'm not sure if that's an indicator of anything or not. Also, I never once saw him use the burnout mechanic, which was disappointing over the course of 15 matches (maybe that's why he kept losing).

.la1n

Since I only have the Season Two Combo Breaker pack, I had to settle for watching Cinder in CPU vs CPU matches to see him in action.
I set the difficulty on Kyle and then watched the CPU-controlled Cinder fight every other character in the game. Cinder didn't win a single match. I'm not sure if that's an indicator of anything or not. Also, I never once saw him use the burnout mechanic, which was disappointing over the course of 15 matches (maybe that's why he kept losing).

If you buy the Ultra upgrade it goes towards the tournament prize pools...jus' sayin'

;)

.la1n

If you want to see what I assume was Cinder's design before the most recent one it's still in survival mode in the character art, also the same one that shows up as his tile in your player profile.

dankir

Wow TJ Combo takes relearning now. Half the time I can't get the combo enders to come out. It's difficult to get anything but the new push back combo ender which usually ends the string too early.

His new intro and outro are amazing though :)

Cinder: It's early but I feel like the burnout mechanic is absolutely out of place in this game, we will see how it evolves. Right now it goes against the philosophy of KI being a game where you want to get in and start combos. If you've been hit with burnout the safest strategy is to try to run away, it's not even worth getting in and trying to use the available buttons.

The biggest chips on my shoulder right now are the character select not improving at all, worse stage load times ever since the Hisako update, and characters still appearing without all their textures loaded for the entirety of matches. Smaller gripe is that the stage background contrast/brightness goes up after the match ends and it looks off. There is still the unaddressed issue of season one stages having lower IQ / textures than they did in season one. Hopefully between the Aria update and story mode they will have time to iron out this stuff. I'd almost prefer they ship Aria with the story mode in June and spend more time in May focused on fixing all the problems.

So I wasn't hearing things and a bell rings when he wins right?

Yeah, Cinder is the worst designed character of season 2 in my opinion. Worse than Omen even.

Everything he does is awkward and erratic. None of his moves flow together well. All his openers are awkward to use and don't transfer into combos well at all. The whole burning limbs thing is really dumb. The bombs sticking regardless of what your opponent is doing makes them ridiculously cheap and there's no negative to just spamming them.

He looks awesome, I'll give them that, but IG pretty much screwed up everything else with this character. Really disappointing.

Edit: Alright after playing with him more maybe he's not the absolute worst but he's still not great. He still feels very awkward as if his inputs should be swapped around or something. The fan the flames stuff needs to go too. Just make the ender apply potential damage at a faster rate.

Top Bottom